Confused about nokia advertising strategy

prof978

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
So, Steve Elop said that the Nokia 900 is made for the north american market. Also, they are going to spend several hundred million dollars to market it and do all kind of crazy stuff to make sure that it is a success. But it is a few weeks before the release of the 900 and I see all these pre orders/advertising for non american markets and I have barely see any advertising doe for the Nokia 900. If the 900 is meant for America, then why don't they start promoting it now (before it is release) so people might actually buy it when it is released? Or atleast let American pre-order the phone so people who want a phone (like me) dont spend their money on another phone? Nokia or microsoft needs to be more aggressive in advertising it. They need to make people talk about this phone or it is going to fail just like the Zune. Just a thought...

Dormage

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Interesting. If you expect "crazy marketing" before the relese it means that it's not gona be relesed soon. Maybe this is the reason for the delay?

RiseAgainst94

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
Well you're right, but frankly, I'm not even sure Nokia knows when they will release it in the United States. This becomes a bigger problem each day they delay its release as we start getting closer to the release of some Android phones with incredible specs (HTC ONE X and Samsung Galaxy S III) and upcoming Windows 7.5 LTE Phones (HTC Titan II and Samsung Mandel). If the Lumia 900 is not released by the time Samsung announces a release date for the Galaxy S III then Nokia will be in huge trouble. Also, if the Titan II and Samsung Mandel are released before Nokia even announces a release date for the Lumia 900, then Lumia 900 sales will plummet. They need to quickly tell people when they can expect this phone and start advertising as much as they said they would. They NEED to get people to buy this phone before it is overshadowed by the "top dogs."

prof978

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
This is seriously kind of pathetic for Nokia to not even have a release date to a phone that they expect to be a game changer. especially when they say that nokia only plan is to use the windows phone os. I expected alittle better from a company as big as nokia. If this phone doesn't come out before those other phones that the other user listed, then I am probably not going to buy this phone either.

jgschwandtner

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
Mary Jo Foley posted last night about "an internal Microsoft road map (dated December 2011)" that had the March 18 date. What's interesting about it is that "TV Begins" is slated to start the same day as "General Availability," as is "Paid Digital" which apparently was intended to go longer. If that document is any indication about the thinking at Redmond, then we may not see a lot of advertising before the fact.

Microsoft gets a new head of Windows Phone marketing and advertising | ZDNet

jgschwandtner

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
This is seriously kind of pathetic for Nokia to not even have a release date to a phone that they expect to be a game changer. especially when they say that nokia only plan is to use the windows phone os. I expected alittle better from a company as big as nokia. If this phone doesn't come out before those other phones that the other user listed, then I am probably not going to buy this phone either.

BTW, I talked to a friend last Sunday who is waiting for some Android Galaxy device. His has slipped, too, and was originally rumored for early March. We're not alone, it seems.

kenosando#AC

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

You can't blindly blame Nokia on this small crisis. Nokia has to do a lot of coordinating with AT&T, which they haven't done in years. Look how quickly the 710 slipped into the T-Mo stores. It might have to do a lot with LTE, as pointed out by some posters in other threads. AT&T has a lot of responsibility in this, because they are the last point-of-contact in the sale of the device - there are no Nokia stores in the US anymore, and only a few Microsoft Stores. AT&T has a heavy burden, and they are likely slowing the progress down.

prof978

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
You can't blindly blame Nokia on this small crisis. Nokia has to do a lot of coordinating with AT&T, which they haven't done in years. Look how quickly the 710 slipped into the T-Mo stores. It might have to do a lot with LTE, as pointed out by some posters in other threads. AT&T has a lot of responsibility in this, because they are the last point-of-contact in the sale of the device - there are no Nokia stores in the US anymore, and only a few Microsoft Stores. AT&T has a heavy burden, and they are likely slowing the progress down.

I'm blaming everybody. I bet ATT has a huge part in the delay, but at the end of the day Nokia and their consumers are going to get hurt.

I really want this phone...I don't care how they do it. I really just want to have this phone. lol And knowing that they have a confirmed release date will satisfy me, even if the release date is 3 months from now, which I hope is not the case.

Tank1407

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
I think that there was probably a problem with adding LTE or testing it took longer than expected. I'm really just upset about the lack of official information. Microsoft cant really say anything because it's just their OS not their phone. ATT and Nokia should be announcing things like "Oh we are just making sure LTE works right since it is the first one"

Though Nokia really dropped the ball by announcing "the US' Lumia" at CES and then saying nothing at MWC or since then really....

JPDVM2014

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
I know nothing about advertising, so I may be completely wrong. But I would think that if Nokia isn't sure of an exact release date, why would they start an advertising blitz? If anything, when people see the commercials, they will look into when they can buy it, then be turned off by the fact that no one knows for sure. It would turn from only "tech" people knowing about the "delayed" release, to everyone who watches TV knowing about it. I think it's smart of Nokia to either wait till they announce a date, or wait till the phone is released and then go all out on marketing. But, again, I may be wrong.

kenosando#AC

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I know nothing about advertising, so I may be completely wrong. But I would think that if Nokia isn't sure of an exact release date, why would they start an advertising blitz? If anything, when people see the commercials, they will look into when they can buy it, then be turned off by the fact that no one knows for sure. It would turn from only "tech" people knowing about the "delayed" release, to everyone who watches TV knowing about it. I think it's smart of Nokia to either wait till they announce a date, or wait till the phone is released and then go all out on marketing. But, again, I may be wrong.

This was the smartest, most intelligent comment I have seen in a while. Very, very well done sir. And, I agree. It is very likely Nokia is waiting for the final GO! from AT&T before marketing. Why haven't we seen any ads? Because they want people to see this beauty, run to AT&T, and buy it. People, like most of us, are being vultures on any news from the Lumia 900, are impatient, but for most of the masses, they rely on word of mouth and advertising, are the ones who will likely be affected by the adverts. Those of you nay-sayers ... what part of the advertising strategy are you confused about? Because you can't advertise a phone no one can say anything about. And maybe that is a part of the strategy. We'll see.

jgschwandtner

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site

That's exactly what the internal Microsoft doc Mary Jo Foley was referencing suggested: General Availability date is when TV and paid digital kicks in.

Don't expect ads until there's something to buy, or at least pre-order.

JPDVM2014

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
This was the smartest, most intelligent comment I have seen in a while. Very, very well done sir.

Thanks! I try. :)

That's exactly what the internal Microsoft doc Mary Jo Foley was referencing suggested: General Availability date is when TV and paid digital kicks in.

Well, glad to see there is something backing up what I already expected. Thanks for the info.

SouthpawJosh

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Seems like commercials or ads might start shortly after April 1. From Twitter:

Windows Phone ‏ @windowsphone
Are you an app developer? Want to see your app in our ads with @Nokia? Tell us about it YourAppHere Deadline 3/31/12

RiseAgainst94

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
Today was actually a really big day for Nokia, even though they didn't actually do anything. We learned that the release date would be the 8th(or 9th). We also learned that AT&T stores picked up demo copies of the Lumia 900. We now have AT&T posting a teaser of the Lumia 900 on their site and a sign that advertising will be coming soon.

RiseAgainst94

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
How can Nokia get their name out with the Lumia 900? Throw an advertisement in with every commercial shown during the NCAA Basketball Final. How's that for advertising? Hopefully Nokia figured it out too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo