11-18-2013 09:38 AM
121 12345
tools
    Joanna Stern, who left Engadget for The Verge and then ABC is not a Microsoft hater at all. She reviewed all Windows laptops; she uses a windows machine.

Not sure what point you were trying to make, but I just wanted to make it clear she isn't a Microsoft hater.
    04-02-2012 12:53 PM
    Joanna Stern, who left Engadget for The Verge and then ABC is not a Microsoft hater at all. She reviewed all Windows laptops; she uses a windows machine.

Not sure what point you were trying to make, but I just wanted to make it clear she isn't a Microsoft hater.
    Her video review didn't seem negative at all, really. Just minor niggles about button placement, right?
    04-02-2012 02:56 PM
    Her video review didn't seem negative at all, really. Just minor niggles about button placement, right?
    That's how I took it. I'm really waiting for more extensive information regarding LTE battery life and call quality. None of the early reviews/impressions I've seen have done a thorough job discussing those issues.
    04-02-2012 04:18 PM
    I officially dumped pocketnow over the "Stepback" article they just ran today. They praise the iPad, the new one. So dumb, it hurts...

Anyways...

I have a Focus S and Lumia 900. Had the Lumia for a week now ;)

Took it to WrestleMania and took some of the best pictures I've ever taken. I love the build. Nokia Drive is fantastic. I did have the phone lock up when Nokia Drive first came on but it could've been a small hiccup, I held all the buttons down and it restarted back to normal.

My pictures are on the pictures post of the Bear, poster, ring.
    04-02-2012 04:31 PM
    ABC News has a review/preview up on their Vimeo Page.

Check it out:

Tech This Out - Nokia Lumia on Vimeo
    Seemed like a pretty decent review, but two things:

1. Button placement really bothered her so much she had to keep mentioning it? Ok I'll give her that as a preference but you are a reviewer.

2. She said the other thing that bothered her was the WANING app market? Um....getting smaller? Comon now. How about you talk about how fast its grown to 70K+ apps and how most things ARE available. You can also say that you wont see as many games ect, but give both sides.
    04-02-2012 04:48 PM
    ABC News has a review/preview up on their Vimeo Page.

Check it out:

Tech This Out - Nokia Lumia on Vimeo
    She said that AT&T's LTE network isn't fully rolled-out ... but whose is?
    04-02-2012 04:51 PM
    My only gripe is the stainless steel back part of the camera. It can get scratches.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    04-02-2012 04:56 PM

Not going to go into a discussion on this, but I find that most reviews of Windows products pick on minor negatives and make them seem like major issues whereas other products esp apple's will have their negatives ignored while they wax lyrical about how magical and innovative the product is. Gets tiring. Read this article on pocketnow saying the internet is not ready for the ipad http://pocketnow.com/iphone/the-inte...r-the-new-ipad. Will we see the same opinion when Windows 8 hits and IE10 immersive is the default on a couple hundred PC's? Doubt it.

Personally stopped listening to "reviewers" years ago and make up my own mind, but for the rest of the general populace who cant think for themselves and believe everything they read on the net or see on TV that bias can be costly.
    04-02-2012 05:39 PM
    My only gripe is the stainless steel back part of the camera. It can get scratches.

Which do you prefer? Focus S or Lumia 900?
    04-02-2012 05:59 PM
    Lumia. By far. The body is sleek, no flimsy back. Camera is superb. Screen is alot more vibrant.

04-02-2012 06:11 PM
    Awesome, about to buy one in 7 days.
    04-02-2012 06:47 PM
    Pre-ordered one and I was having second thoughts, so I went to an AT&T store to see if anyone had one, and there was one there. Great build, fluid performance, amazing looks. Glad I pre-ordered it.
    04-02-2012 08:16 PM
    I think her review was fair. You can't get around not having apps like Pandora and words with friends. I personally don't care about those apps, but the people watching ABC do. As far as button placement goes, I think it was wise for Nokia to do what they did. At 4.3" reaching for the side to turn on a phone is going to be easier than the top. The compliant amounts to a preference of established phones. It's almost like when reviewers complained the original iPhone didn't have a physical keyboard because that's what they were used to.
    04-02-2012 11:03 PM
    I think her review was fair. You can't get around not having apps like Pandora and words with friends. I personally don't care about those apps, but the people watching ABC do. As far as button placement goes, I think it was wise for Nokia to do what they did. At 4.3" reaching for the side to turn on a phone is going to be easier than the top. The compliant amounts to a preference of established phones. It's almost like when reviewers complained the original iPhone didn't have a physical keyboard because that's what they were used to.
    Yeah I agree completely. I like that the on/off switch is on the side, the device is rather large and the placement of the button is much more manageable. Nokia knew what they were doing when it comes to design.
    04-02-2012 11:10 PM
    I think they did do a pretty good job with the design, but I do wish the charging and headphone port were on the bottom. This is something I really really loved about the Zune HD. Also the position of the charge port is going to make docks pretty much impossible since the UI on Windows Phone doesn't work upside down in portrait mode. I guess they can have a cable on a dock?
    04-03-2012 08:09 PM
    Good review.

Nokia Lumia 900 Phone Review | PCWorld
    Last edited by soxoh4; 04-03-2012 at 09:18 PM.
    04-03-2012 09:12 PM
    i hate his gripes though. We have pandora alternatives and yet he complains about no Pandora apps. He complains about MS Youtube app being only a link to mobile yet made no effort to d/l the other great Youtube apps in the Marketplace...

smh
    04-03-2012 09:18 PM
    You're right, I downgraded my "great review!" to "good review" accordingly :)
    04-03-2012 09:19 PM
    GUYS THE REVIEWS ARE ALL OUT CNET:4 stars
    04-03-2012 09:20 PM
    The Verge Review below. Score of 7.0. Josh isn't too impressed, surprise surprise.

Lumia 900 review | The Verge
    04-03-2012 09:55 PM
    The Verge Review below. Score of 7.0. Josh isn't too impressed, surprise surprise.

Lumia 900 review | The Verge
    So, Joshua Topolsky thinks using Windows OS is like poison, does anyone actually enjoy using their PC OS? | The Verge Forums
    04-03-2012 10:17 PM
    04-04-2012 03:17 AM
    04-04-2012 09:39 AM
    04-04-2012 10:23 AM
    This isn't really a review, but it's a video of the Lumia going against the Galaxy Nexus.

It stands, it's ground for a "SUB-PAR" device. I really want my phone now!
    Bkr11 likes this.
    04-04-2012 05:54 PM
121 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD