Impressions/Reviews

sayamachiharu

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
What do you mean by this? Cycling through the tiles is just done by swiping up/down. If you mean the "multitasking" cards, holding down the <- key gives you the list then you just swipe.

Just misunderstanding the issue and am curious.

Sorry for the confusion, what I meant was when I pressed the screen it didnt respond. I was wondering whether I was pressing lightly or the screen was unresponsive.

ovrkast

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I checked out a Cyan Lumia 900 this week at an AT&T store here in NYC. As far as I am concerned, I did not see any lag with the animations and transitions on the device. The only thing I am worried about is that it took me several presses on the touchscreen to cycle through the tiles or the menu buttons. I don't know if I am a light presser or if Android (2.3, my current phone) has a more sensitive screen. It takes a bit of effort to press to get the result you want.... :confused:

Anyway, I'm still going to get the device and I am very excited :p:D
I had this same experience when I went down to my AT&T store to pre-order the device. A rep there let me play with his Nokia 900 and although the animations were not laggy in any respect, the touch sensitivity to actually press on an icon or simply swiping up/down did stutter. I had my current Samsung Focus and the Nokia side by side and performed a swipe test, and the Samsung easily moved up/down the screen much more fluid and quicker, whereas the Nokia took me a couple of swipes to perform the same task. I'm really hoping this is a software bug and not hardware related :mad:

sayamachiharu

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
I had this same experience when I went down to my AT&T store to pre-order the device. A rep there let me play with his Nokia 900 and although the animations were not laggy in any respect, the touch sensitivity to actually press on an icon or simply swiping up/down did stutter. I had my current Samsung Focus and the Nokia side by side and performed a swipe test, and the Samsung easily moved up/down the screen much more fluid and quicker, whereas the Nokia took me a couple of swipes to perform the same task. I'm really hoping this is a software bug and not hardware related :mad:

Right, I was wondering why nothing was happening when I pressed the tiles and buttons at the bottom of the phone. It required a certain amount of pressure I am not familiar with coming from an Android device. (My device is an old Optimus and I really press hard because it lacked sensitivity both hard keys and on the touch screen).

Hopefully after the launch this will get attention and a fix could be made as soon as possible. Placed my order and excited for the 6th! :D

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Hmm....sounds like this should be able to be rectified by Nokia with software/firmware update. I would expect that to be released quickly on their new flagship if this is happening.

Alteran195

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
I got a chance to play with a black 900 today when I went to preorder, it felt smaller then I expected, for being the same size as the Titan it definetly didn't feel as big.

The build quality was very good, I actually kinda like the lip around the screen. I noticed finger prints on the matte black, which makes me glad I'm getting the blue.

I didn't notice any issues with the touchscreen being unresponsive.

AndreaCristiano

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
I got a chance to play with a black 900 today when I went to preorder, it felt smaller then I expected, for being the same size as the Titan it definetly didn't feel as big.

The build quality was very good, I actually kinda like the lip around the screen. I noticed finger prints on the matte black, which makes me glad I'm getting the blue.

I didn't notice any issues with the touchscreen being unresponsive.

I have the dame experience. That's why I got invisasheild for the phone

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

JOHNGAETANO

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Not a bad review, but not glowing. But she certainly didn't notice any lag, and she praised the camera. Best part of the review was her.

She liked the screen, and the ability to see it outside.

Not sure the power button is a big deal. It's just different, and that isn't always a bad thing.

As a current iPhone user, I like the look of the windows interface, at least it's different. I am only slightly concerned over the lack of apps, as I don't have 1000 apps now. I think all the major apps I use are available already.

John

ABC News has a review/preview up on their Vimeo Page.

Check it out:

Tech This Out - Nokia Lumia on Vimeo

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site

Check it out:

Joanna Stern, formerly of engadget, home of the Microsoft haters. 'Nuff said.

For my part, went to the at&t store in Montgomery mall and a rep let me see his black 900 and it looked fantastic, screen was awesome. I went to youtube and pulled up the MJ Motown 25th annv performance and it was fast and looked excellent. Have to say I'm not a fan of the squareness, thought I would but I think I would like a bit more roundness. Otherwise top notch. Pity its at&t only, this would fly on Tmo's HSPA+ network.

Last edited:

JetLife87

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Joanna Stern, who left Engadget for The Verge and then ABC is not a Microsoft hater at all. She reviewed all Windows laptops; she uses a windows machine.

Not sure what point you were trying to make, but I just wanted to make it clear she isn't a Microsoft hater.

PhilR8

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site
Joanna Stern, who left Engadget for The Verge and then ABC is not a Microsoft hater at all. She reviewed all Windows laptops; she uses a windows machine.

Not sure what point you were trying to make, but I just wanted to make it clear she isn't a Microsoft hater.

Her video review didn't seem negative at all, really. Just minor niggles about button placement, right?

grossitch

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Her video review didn't seem negative at all, really. Just minor niggles about button placement, right?

That's how I took it. I'm really waiting for more extensive information regarding LTE battery life and call quality. None of the early reviews/impressions I've seen have done a thorough job discussing those issues.

dangish

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
I officially dumped pocketnow over the "Stepback" article they just ran today. They praise the iPad, the new one. So dumb, it hurts...

Anyways...

I have a Focus S and Lumia 900. Had the Lumia for a week now ;)

Took it to WrestleMania and took some of the best pictures I've ever taken. I love the build. Nokia Drive is fantastic. I did have the phone lock up when Nokia Drive first came on but it could've been a small hiccup, I held all the buttons down and it restarted back to normal.

My pictures are on the pictures post of the Bear, poster, ring.

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site

Check it out:

Seemed like a pretty decent review, but two things:

1. Button placement really bothered her so much she had to keep mentioning it? Ok I'll give her that as a preference but you are a reviewer.

2. She said the other thing that bothered her was the WANING app market? Um....getting smaller? Comon now. How about you talk about how fast its grown to 70K+ apps and how most things ARE available. You can also say that you wont see as many games ect, but give both sides.

dangish

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
My only gripe is the stainless steel back part of the camera. It can get scratches.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site

Not going to go into a discussion on this, but I find that most reviews of Windows products pick on minor negatives and make them seem like major issues whereas other products esp apple's will have their negatives ignored while they wax lyrical about how magical and innovative the product is. Gets tiring. Read this article on pocketnow saying the internet is not ready for the ipad http://pocketnow.com/iphone/the-internet-isn-t-ready-for-the-new-ipad. Will we see the same opinion when Windows 8 hits and IE10 immersive is the default on a couple hundred PC's? Doubt it.

Personally stopped listening to "reviewers" years ago and make up my own mind, but for the rest of the general populace who cant think for themselves and believe everything they read on the net or see on TV that bias can be costly.

dangish

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
Lumia. By far. The body is sleek, no flimsy back. Camera is superb. Screen is alot more vibrant.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)