04-02-2012 02:03 PM
85 1234
tools
    Great list. Exactly what I was looking for!! Thanks a ton I will try this out!!
    Some additional info ....
    ESPN I am told is amazing on WP nokia Phone
    CNN is exclusive on Nokia
    Kindle App
    Spotify - Music
    Ask ziggy and tellme (Equal to Siri in iPhone)
    MLB At Bat 2011: One of the best sports application for mobile device
    GroupMe : your friends are grouped together via a phone number and when you text that number it sends the message to everyone
    angry birds and Fruit Ninja games ...

From what I have seen in past 2 weeks all of the important ones that i saw on iOS and Android are available ..
    There is no important app missing ...
    03-28-2012 05:02 PM
    Could you please check if orange theme looks as smooth like the left one or serrated like the right one which I captured from my Lumia 800:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/lumia-800/187481.htm
    Click to view quoted image
    thuannguy, I think you're essentially asking if this is a pentile display - which it is not - it's a true AMOLED. you should not see the same effect (I notice it all the time on my Kindle Fire).
    03-28-2012 06:00 PM
    What's missing from the app selection that you would like to see on WP?

Sent from my HTC Arrive using Board Express
    Good question. Here are a few apps off the top of my head. I will update when I get back to my Galaxy SII:

Handcent SMS: for more customization options for text including privacy inbox
    tTorrent Pro
    ES File Explorer
    Google Voice app (not sure if there is an app on the Lumia or not)
    Angry Birds Space (hopefully coming soon)
    Draw Something
    Pandora (heard there was an equivalent besides slacker??)
    Dat Piff Mobile

Any suggestions on equivalent apps would be great.
    03-28-2012 09:43 PM
    Only one of those with an equivalent is Pandora, you can use MetroRadio or Radio Controlled (which scrobbles to Last FM also). Only issue is they use a bit of a hacked API to work, so sometimes they stop working. The developer of the API is good about doing the updates. He is a current Nokia employee and formerly worked at Microsoft.

Angry Birds Space is announced, but no real date.
    Dat Piff Mobile exists (http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/ap...f-e04ad06101e0)
    mhopii likes this.
    03-28-2012 09:58 PM
    Good question. Here are a few apps off the top of my head. I will update when I get back to my Galaxy SII:

tTorrent Pro
    ES File Explorer
    Draw Something
    Dat Piff Mobile

I'm always curious to see what I may be missing from other platforms and what people like.

Here are the equivalents that I know of and if anybody has any others then have at it:

tTorrent Pro= Torrent Buddy
    Google Voice app = GoVoice
    Angry Birds Space = definitely coming soon
    Pandora= MetroRadio
    Dat Piff Mobile= Mixtapes
    mhopii likes this.
    03-28-2012 10:21 PM
    thuannguy, I think you're essentially asking if this is a pentile display - which it is not - it's a true AMOLED. you should not see the same effect (I notice it all the time on my Kindle Fire).
    Thanks thepickupbear. To me, that is the only downside of Lumia 800. Cannot wait to get my hands on a 900
    03-28-2012 10:43 PM
    Ive got a NEST thermostat... really wish they would release a Nest app for WP.. also, wish the ESPN Scorecenter app did push notifications like the iPhone version.
    npyle likes this.
    03-28-2012 10:49 PM
    Only one of those with an equivalent is Pandora, you can use MetroRadio or Radio Controlled (which scrobbles to Last FM also). Only issue is they use a bit of a hacked API to work, so sometimes they stop working. The developer of the API is good about doing the updates. He is a current Nokia employee and formerly worked at Microsoft.

Angry Birds Space is announced, but no real date.
    Dat Piff Mobile exists (http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/ap...f-e04ad06101e0)
    You, sir, just gained about 10 cool points with me for pointing out the Dat Piff Mobile App!! Thank you Thank you!!

I'm always curious to see what I may be missing from other platforms and what people like.

Here are the equivalents that I know of and if anybody has any others then have at it:

tTorrent Pro= Torrent Buddy
    Google Voice app = GoVoice
    Angry Birds Space = definitely coming soon
    Pandora= MetroRadio
    Dat Piff Mobile= Mixtapes
    I will add Torrent Buddy and GoVoice to my list of apps to try thanks Diddy
    03-29-2012 12:08 AM
    03-29-2012 04:40 AM
    What a fantastic thread!!

mhopi, you are more than welcome on WPC, you are a breath of fresh air. A service rep interested in making sure his customers get the device they want and understand its limitations and advantages??? Outrageous!! How do you survive?? :-)

The 900 looks great. I am sure you can tell, we love our OS here on WP Central, and we all understand Nokia is the best chance we have for it to thrive. I am very thankful for your posts. Here is hoping you will give WP the chance to win you over. If not, thank you for the information, pictures, open mind and the professionalism at your job!!!
    thuannguy likes this.
    03-29-2012 04:44 AM
    God, that phone looks really nice! I'd just work for free for AT&T just to sell that thing! Not to mention I'm with T-Mobile! haha :)

I hope you have an excellent time selling this phone. It's definitely an uphill battle since it's a new phone/os jumping in a HUGE field of Android and the ever so sleek iPhone. Keep coming to WPCentral for support! A lot of guys here are experts with the Windows Phone platform.
    03-29-2012 05:29 AM
    A few apps to try out:

Baconit for Reddit
    Carbon for Twitter
    Flixster for movies (IMDb is also pretty neat)
    iHeartRadio for Pandora-like streaming
    PrimeTube/Youtube Pro for YouTube (Metrotube was better but got pulled)
    Thumba Photo Editor for... photo editing
    Weatherflow for weather
    Weave for RSS
    WikiPanda for Wikipedia

And of course, the WPCentral app :]
    maseison likes this.
    03-29-2012 05:35 AM
    I like that mhopi has an open mind about WP and didn't blow it off after 2 days.

Sent from my LG Quantum using Board Express
    03-29-2012 08:01 AM
    Ive got a NEST thermostat... really wish they would release a Nest app for WP.. also, wish the ESPN Scorecenter app did push notifications like the iPhone version.
    I too have a NEST thermostat and contacted NEST earlier this year to inquire about a WP7 app...they indicated they couldn't discuss future plans, but they've noted this going forward. Hope it comes soon.
    03-29-2012 08:45 AM
    Eff Pandora. If they won't support WP7 then I won't support them anymore. With the new iheartradio and last.fm and others that do support us then eff 'em say I.

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express
    Last edited by Mr_pither; 04-06-2012 at 12:09 PM.
    willied likes this.
    03-29-2012 09:57 AM
    Microsoft has a couple of free games like Breeze, Sudoku, Minesweeper, Shuffle party. Good and free way for new users to start racking up that gamerscore! Also

Rowi, Carbon for twitter
    Halo Waypoint (with Halo Atlas free on WP)
    Xbox Companion
    Newegg
    Falling Skies
    Bing2Wall
    Artist picture on lock screen with music playing

Also throw in a demo of your Avatar dancing to music in the games hub, always a good laugh.
    03-29-2012 11:26 AM
    All these Apps sound pretty great. As a newbie to WP, I'm really excited to use my Zune Pass that I have on the Xbox. It's not the most useful thing on my television - but if the portable service has the same library/functions as the Xbox version - I'm stoked! It'll be the perfect on the go music service. Anyone here use it frequently?
    03-29-2012 12:39 PM
    All these Apps sound pretty great. As a newbie to WP, I'm really excited to use my Zune Pass that I have on the Xbox. It's not the most useful thing on my television - but if the portable service has the same library/functions as the Xbox version - I'm stoked! It'll be the perfect on the go music service. Anyone here use it frequently?
    Absolutely! Zune and the Zune pass is one of my favorite features of Windows Phone. It's amazing.
    NeighbrhoodPush likes this.
    03-29-2012 12:55 PM
    I love my zune pass on my wp. I often use it to show friends what they are missing but my wife likes to point out that it is a pay service :) She's just jealous (iPhone user). But really it is worth the price.
    03-29-2012 01:39 PM
    I subscribe to the Zune service as well. I have the old subscription model that includes unlimited streaming + 10 MP3 (so non-DRM, and I keep them if I stop subscribing) downloads a month. As a programmer, music is important to me (I listen to it most of the day while working), and the Zune service is invaluable. Having it on my phone as well when driving (it syncs with my Veloster over bluetooth, so I don't even have to pull it out of my pocket to listen to Zune music) is great.

Will be making a trip up to Charlotte this weekend to see a Tchaicovsky symphony and the phone will come in handy for podcasts/music during the 4-hour round trip.

Excited for Nokia about the 900. Looking forward to what rolls out around Christmastime with Apollo.
    03-29-2012 01:56 PM

tTorrent Pro
    ES File Explorer
    Draw Something
    Dat Piff Mobile

For Google Voice use FreeTalk or goVoice...personally I like FreeTalk
    03-29-2012 02:09 PM
    the Zunepass is WORTH the money and amazing.. because at any point in time during the day I can be like... hmmm I want that Album.. and get it.. =)
    03-29-2012 02:14 PM
    Also what's really cool about Windows Phone is contact history. Its awesome for business so for example you have your Manager Joe Smith. With the history feature you can see all Joe Smiths recent e-mails and messages between you to. This is awesome for keeping track of the conversation.
    03-29-2012 02:41 PM
    FYI I can confirm that we do have the visual voicemail. You have to set it up by calling in and following the prompts. Once complete, the Lumia will get the voicemail tab added to the Phone tab. Ugly pics attached
    Is that by default on the phone, or does AT&T have to switch something on for us to get Visual Voicemail?
    03-29-2012 02:44 PM
    Is that by default on the phone, or does AT&T have to switch something on for us to get Visual Voicemail?
    it will have to be provisioned on your account along with the lte
    03-29-2012 03:23 PM
85 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD