• 00Days
  • 00Hours
  • 00Mins
  • 00Secs
Newsletter — sign up now! Learn More
04-04-2012 09:54 PM
59 123
tools
    Forgive the rant, I have yet to see anything on the web, just what has been on here. Everyone is all for iOS and Android, so it's kind of like "come on Nokia you can do this!" I mean just looking at those pictures that you had posted up @peestandingup. I don't understand where the quality looks bad? Comparing it to the 4S, it looks more natural. Not saying anything bad about the 4S quality, since I have one. The 4s has the Sun coming in and it makes it look very low lit. The 900's looks more natural. Which is like, "do I need to get my eyes checked out again?" I mean even looking at the quality as well on a iMac, which has a 1080p screen. It looked AMAZING!

Either way, it's just my opinion. We all have our own, hopefully it's just some bugs that is causing these camera issues. Hopefully this is great phone! I spent good money on it! :dry
    No problem, and I understand completely. I too want nothing but the best for this phone & the ecosystem as a whole. I'm not so much a fanboy anymore, I just want to use what I truly think is the best device out there as a whole. Right now its the 4S IMO. But Im not in love with Apple or the OS. I like Windows Phone better, but they need a real flagship device that kicks the crap out of the iPhone. And they also need all the top tier apps/developers that iOS has. So far those two things haven't really materialized yet, even though its getting better.

To answer your question about the photos. The quality is just way off. Like a poster said above, there's lines in the photos, esp in low light. Which would indicate low quality optics. Also they just lack any definition & have a hazy/out of focus look to them. Although still not great, its passable in bright sunlight, but in any kind of low light it seems to really fall apart. Which is odd to me since Nokia always touts their cameras as a big deal. But I'm not seeing that at all.

Its not terrible, but just sorta reeks of last year's tech. With the Titan & 4S, which are two of the best cameras in a phone IMO, Nokia should have really done better.
    PhilR8 likes this.
    04-03-2012 03:53 AM
    Here's a shot I just took in almost complete darkness using flash + autofocus.

Exif data is still in there.

Looks pretty good to me.

The major thing here is to actually use auto-focus. Just pressing the button does NOT pre-focus....

Have to press it half way, then press it again to actually take the picture. In that case, the camera focuses even in low light and provides sharp images.

Imho this phone takes great quality pics.
    Jackal1969 likes this.
    04-03-2012 06:22 AM

Looks pretty good to me.

The major thing here is to actually use auto-focus. Just pressing the button does NOT pre-focus....

Have to press it half way, then press it again to actually take the picture. In that case, the camera focuses even in low light and provides sharp images.

That does look good!
    04-03-2012 06:55 AM
    That looks pretty damn good. Do you have any other shots you can show us? I'm really interested to see more.

Looks pretty good to me.

04-03-2012 07:17 AM
    Yeah, thats much better & def the best I've seen from the 900. I'd like to see more too if you have them. Some "real life" shots is where the real tests are (stuff going on around you, action shots outside, etc).
    04-03-2012 08:27 AM
    In regards to the photos posted back on page 1, I agree with pee. Those pictures look absolutely horrible. Pitiful.
    04-03-2012 08:44 AM
    Yeah, thats much better & def the best I've seen from the 900. I'd like to see more too if you have them. Some "real life" shots is where the real tests are (stuff going on around you, action shots outside, etc).
    Attached couple more from today.

It can take decent pictures. Playing around with ISO, metering modes, etc can improve the quality considerably.

p.s. I'm not a photographer, so my photos are not the best.
    Last edited by doejoe007; 04-03-2012 at 06:31 PM.
    04-03-2012 06:24 PM
    The ISO goes down to 100. Even with the ISO as low as can be the pics look blurry. There is no real way to make these photos look good in low light. I have snapped a few photos in complete dark and they look fine. Just seems to be with low light.
    04-03-2012 09:47 PM
    The ISO goes down to 100. Even with the ISO as low as can be the pics look blurry. There is no real way to make these photos look good in low light. I have snapped a few photos in complete dark and they look fine. Just seems to be with low light.
    Of course they look blurry at 100. Decreasing the ISO number also makes the shutter speed slower, which introduces blur unless you either use a tripod or image stabilization. To get the shutter speed faster and get rid of the blur, you need to use a higher ISO number. (Aperture value is also important, but I don't think you'll have direct control over the aperture on a smartphone camera.) In low light with a smartphone camera, you're going to get noise. You can fix the noise in post later; you can't fix the blur. So the best strategy is to at least make sure that the shot is in focus and sharp. (Or use a better camera.)
    04-04-2012 09:54 PM
59 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD