Screen Prottector Really Helpful?

DocSc00teR

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Looking forward to trading in my Samsung Focus for the Lumia 900! Thanks to everyone for posting their experiences with the device so far; my anticipation is flying high!

Quick question though: How important is a screen protector for this thing? I mean, it's got Gorilla Glass on it, right? So it's not scratch-prone or anything to begin with. And it's polarized to reduce glare already. I know some protectors help minimize fingerprint issues, but is there really a good reason to get a protector with the device?

(I'm asking 'cause I've had a Zagg on my Focus since the beginning, and I'm disaappointed. Actually, I've gone through a couple of 'em because the endges begin to peel up slightly over time, and I just hate it.)

Doc

Last edited:

kenosando#AC

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
As far as I know, Doc, it only has the original Gorilla Glass. I also had Gorilla Glass on my Nokia N8, and while it won't scratch as easily as other devices without GG, I can assure you, over time, you will start to see tiny scratches appear. AT&T is selling a dry-apply Invisible Shield for the Lumia 900. It covers both front and back. Also Zagg offers lifetime waranties on all shields, so if it begins to peel, discolor, or anything, just let them know.

gtbuzz

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Looking forward to trading in my Samsung Focus for the Lumia 900! Thanks to everyone for posting their experiences with the device so far; my anticipation is flying high!

Quick question though: How important is a screen protector for this thing? I mean, it's got Gorilla Glass on it, right? So it's not scratch-prone or anything to begin with. And it's polarized to reduce glare already. I know some protectors help minimize fingerprint issues, but is there really a good reason to get a protector with the device?

(I'm asking 'cause I've had a Zagg on my Focus since the beginning, and I'm disaappointed. Actually, I've gone through a couple of 'em because the endges begin to peel up slightly over time, and I just hate it.)

Doc

Keep in mind that Gorilla Glass is scratch resistant, not scratch proof. Big difference there. I had a Venue Pro (also GG screen) for 2-3 weeks before moving to my Focus. I managed to get some very light scratches on that screen, although they were hard to see. On my Focus I've had a skin of ome sort on it at all times. Some were better than others with regards to tactileness, but over time, they all started peeling like yours did. Having said that though, my phone is scratch free with the exception of an exposed corner where I dropped it.

I think that the L900 won't be as prone to peeling issues with these skins as the Focus because it's a much simpler shape. When you throw in compound curves like on the Focus and try to stick a flat piece of film on it, it's bound to fail. I think I may use a bumper and a film on the front / back in lieu of the gel case to avoid too much added thickness.

JPDVM2014

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
It depends on what is more important to you. I prefer the feel of a bare screen and am really careful with my phones. I have had my HTC Trophy for 6+ months without a protector and there is one tiny scratch. However, if you are fairly rough on a phone, I woud recommend one. I just don't like dealing with them peeling and replacing every couple months, even with the lifetime guarantee from Zagg.

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Screen protectors are a waste of money. They are only really useful if you are, for instance, a mechanic and just want to avoid getting grease on the screen.

Its made of glass. Only certain elements will scratch it. Another piece of glass, sapphire, diamonds ect. Keys and most other objects in pockets & purses wont scratch the glass. If you rub the screen along the sidewalk it will scratch, but who's going to do that? And a protector wont save it from a drop.

I stopped using 'protectors' years ago and have never gotten scratches on any of my smart phones.

Go to youtube. There are usually lots of video's showing "scratch tests" for just about any phone. People worry way too much about scratching a slab of hardened (and protected) glass.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05