04-03-2012 05:23 PM
93 1234
tools
    Can you test is BT audio streaming works while wifi is on? My Focus and Omnia always had trouble with that.
    03-31-2012 10:00 AM
    Also, reception seems to be much better than my Titan. One problem that drives me nuts about Windows Phone is that it disconnects WiFi when the screen is shut off. Same thing here, I gave this feedback to my Windows Phone contact to pass up the chain but this needs to be the concern of the whole community.

It preserves data when your phone pulls on background information when the phone is locked and it preserves battery life as WiFi is a more efficient radio than any network radio. Plus if your phone locks while you're waiting for some video to load you don't want to have to reload the whole thing because the WiFi shut off in the middle.

The speaker is much improved from the Lumia 800. Overall volume and clarity is better but still, its a phone speaker. It still doesn't compare to the HTC Surround which I think was the best I've heard from a phone.

A lot of value I think will be from the Nokia services provided. I love the Nokia Drive app. I've used it on my Lumia 800 but I like that I can now easily say it has free GPS instead of the un-safe navigation that Microsoft provides. You just have to download it from the market, it does not come preinstalled. Navigation around Drive is simple, with nice big buttons in case you have to manipulate it while driving. You can download maps by state if you wish too. I wish that if you tap on an address it would give you the option to set Drive as the default mapping app or to open Drive instead of Maps but it's not terrible though.

Nokia Transit needs to support way more public transit locations than it does now to be really useful. This will only come with time I assume.
    03-31-2012 10:07 AM
    Can you test is BT audio streaming works while wifi is on? My Focus and Omnia always had trouble with that.
    Did you want WiFi connected? I'm posting this while streaming to my Bluetooth speaker and there doesn't seem to be any issues at all. My WiFi is connected right now by the way.
    03-31-2012 10:11 AM
    It would usually be connected or trying to connect.
    03-31-2012 10:20 AM
    Not having the switch isn't a bug, so not sure why everyone seems to think it's a bug that needs to addressed. Nokia has always been awesome with battery life, so if users are getting a full day with it on, I don't think it's necessary.
    03-31-2012 10:32 AM
    The phone feels complete my man. The updates are gonna be little bug fixes till Apollo arrives. Even iOS has bug updates

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    i love your posts dude but I can't wait to NOT see "Sent from my Galaxy Nexus" lol
    03-31-2012 12:03 PM
    Not having the switch isn't a bug, so not sure why everyone seems to think it's a bug that needs to addressed. Nokia has always been awesome with battery life, so if users are getting a full day with it on, I don't think it's necessary.
    I don't see it as a bug, but I question the validity of removing the option, especially when so many areas don't have LTE coverage yet, and won't for a long time, if ever. Regardless of being able to get through the day with it on, if I can't use the service, I don't want it draining my battery down. I live and work in a rural area, and if I get a flat on the way home from work it could be a while before my phone sees a charger, and every bit of juice will count.
    03-31-2012 12:48 PM
    i love your posts dude but I can't wait to NOT see "Sent from my Galaxy Nexus" lol
    You're not the only one hahahahaha

03-31-2012 01:17 PM
    I don't see it as a bug, but I question the validity of removing the option, especially when so many areas don't have LTE coverage yet, and won't for a long time, if ever. Regardless of being able to get through the day with it on, if I can't use the service, I don't want it draining my battery down. I live and work in a rural area, and if I get a flat on the way home from work it could be a while before my phone sees a charger, and every bit of juice will count.
    Why would it drain your battery? If there is no LTE then the network wouldn't affect your battery. Your phone will just use the 3G/hspa+ available. The LTE bands won't even be utilized

03-31-2012 01:18 PM
    Why would it drain your battery? If there is no LTE then the network wouldn't affect your battery. Your phone will just use the 3G/hspa+ available. The LTE bands won't even be utilized

The radios will still be searching for networks to connect to. How else do you think the phone knows when an LTE network is available?
    03-31-2012 04:41 PM
    This update you're talking about is Tango.

The Lumia 900 is not running Tango yet, it's an earlier WP7 build designed to support LTE.
    this phone comes with mango and from everything and everyone i know it will receive Apollo, i know which update I speak of ;)
    03-31-2012 05:39 PM
    The radios will still be searching for networks to connect to. How else do you think the phone knows when an LTE network is available?
    if LTE isnt available the radio will not be searching for it. Its the same thing as if a 3G phone is in a 2G service area only the radio picks up the 2G and and it doesnt keep searching. if the band isnt available the radio wont look for it.It has to be turned on for the radio to seek it
    03-31-2012 05:44 PM
    if LTE isnt available the radio will not be searching for it. Its the same thing as if a 3G phone is in a 2G service area only the radio picks up the 2G and and it doesnt keep searching. if the band isnt available the radio wont look for it.It has to be turned on for the radio to seek it
    This is not true remotely. How else would the phone know to connect to an LTE network unless it periodically pings for a signal every period of time. If you're on 3G and you roam into a 2g only area how would it reconnect once you go back into a 3g zone? The 2g radio cannot communicate with a 3g network to tell the phone to again activate the 3g radio. Why else do you think people are asking for an LTE switch?
    03-31-2012 06:14 PM
    This is not true remotely. How else would the phone know to connect to an LTE network unless it periodically pings for a signal every period of time. If you're on 3G and you roam into a 2g only area how would it reconnect once you go back into a 3g zone? The 2g radio cannot communicate with a 3g network to tell the phone to again activate the 3g radio. Why else do you think people are asking for an LTE switch?
    it will ping for a signal but it will only pick up available bands, the 3G/HSPA+/LTE are all off the same radio they are all technically 3G bands. This is why AT&T's network doesnt have drop off between the LTE/HSPA+/3G networks unlike other carriers. Come on man its not rocket science. True 4G radio wouldnt be needed until LTE revision2 which is actual 4G. So therefore if there is a full strength 3G or HSPA+ signal the radio will latch onto that and use that. Its not like when there is no service and the radio keeps searching. So in conclusion once the radio is locked onto a frequency of one of the bands it doesnt keep searching it utilizes that. People are asking because they are misinformed
    03-31-2012 06:51 PM
    This update you're talking about is Tango.

The Lumia 900 is not running Tango yet, it's an earlier WP7 build designed to support LTE.
    The build number is 8112 to be exact.
    03-31-2012 07:14 PM
    This will a long week, all I can think about is my Lumia 900.
    Same here..hopefully it will arrive on Friday, I am off that day
    03-31-2012 07:31 PM
    it will ping for a signal but it will only pick up available bands, the 3G/HSPA+/LTE are all off the same radio they are all technically 3G bands. This is why AT&T's network doesnt have drop off between the LTE/HSPA+/3G networks unlike other carriers. Come on man its not rocket science. True 4G radio wouldnt be needed until LTE revision2 which is actual 4G. So therefore if there is a full strength 3G or HSPA+ signal the radio will latch onto that and use that. Its not like when there is no service and the radio keeps searching. So in conclusion once the radio is locked onto a frequency of one of the bands it doesnt keep searching it utilizes that. People are asking because they are misinformed
    I thought the network handles everything, and tells the phone when to switch towers?
    03-31-2012 07:41 PM
    I thought the network handles everything, and tells the phone when to switch towers?
    switching towers only comes into play when the phone needs to switch, from weaker signal to stronger signal. When a frequency isnt available the phone wont search for it. It will grab the strongest signal thats available and ride that.
    03-31-2012 07:54 PM
    switching towers only comes into play when the phone needs to switch, from weaker signal to stronger signal. When a frequency isnt available the phone wont search for it. It will grab the strongest signal thats available and ride that.
    Sorry I meant signal, like choosing between EDGE and 3G.

Anyway, how does it know a frequency isn't available?
    03-31-2012 08:02 PM
    Sorry I meant signal, like choosing between EDGE and 3G.

Anyway, how does it know a frequency isn't available?
    the frequency wont be available if it isnt turned on so the radio will connect to whatever is the strongest frequency it can detect.So if your in old school 3G thats what you will get if youre in HSPA+ thats what you will get. Once your in LTE then you will get that. The only time your signal messes with your battery is when its low or no signal. At this point your radio keeps hunting for a stronger tower/signal and thats what drains your battery. The reason LTE affects battery with phones now is because the phones arent completely optimized for an LTE network.
    03-31-2012 08:18 PM
    I don't understand why you keep arguing with me. LTE is a completely different technology and until later this year, a different radio inside the phone. There IS drop off from LTE to H+ otherwise at&t could just update the software on the cell towers and have instant LTE countrywide (because upgrading from 3G to HSPA+ involves just a software upgrade on the towers and some adjustments to backhaul). Now obviously this isn't the case. At&t needs to install LTE towers all over the country to provide that service.
    03-31-2012 10:30 PM
    the frequency wont be available if it isnt turned on so the radio will connect to whatever is the strongest frequency it can detect.So if your in old school 3G thats what you will get if youre in HSPA+ thats what you will get. Once your in LTE then you will get that. The only time your signal messes with your battery is when its low or no signal. At this point your radio keeps hunting for a stronger tower/signal and thats what drains your battery. The reason LTE affects battery with phones now is because the phones arent completely optimized for an LTE network.
    Its not about how LTE integrates with the network. The chips are first generation and are not as efficient as they will be as time goes on. Also, they're not integrated into the System-on-a-Chip along with the rest of the GPS, WiFi, Bluetooth, 1G, 2G, and 3G radios. Second generation LTE radios that are all on the same chip will be much more battery efficient.
    03-31-2012 10:33 PM
    The phone won't know if the frequency is available if it isn't pinging the radio...this is my whole point. If LTE phones get an LTE switch, battery life will improve because you can turn the LTE radio off altogether. When I was in an LTE zone earlier last week it automatically connected...know why? The LTE radio sent out a ping and discovered that LTE was available so it handed off the data connection from the 3G radio to the LTE radio seamlessly.

On the early 3G phones like the iPhone 3G, it was a battery suggestion to turn off the 3G radio even if you weren't in a 3G zone in order to save battery life. Why do you think that is? It's because the radio was on, pinging the airwaves to see if their was a signal to pick up.
    03-31-2012 10:55 PM
    The phone won't know if the frequency is available if it isn't pinging the radio...this is my whole point. If LTE phones get an LTE switch, battery life will improve because you can turn the LTE radio off altogether. When I was in an LTE zone earlier last week it automatically connected...know why? The LTE radio sent out a ping and discovered that LTE was available so it handed off the data connection from the 3G radio to the LTE radio seamlessly.

On the early 3G phones like the iPhone 3G, it was a battery suggestion to turn off the 3G radio even if you weren't in a 3G zone in order to save battery life. Why do you think that is? It's because the radio was on, pinging the airwaves to see if their was a signal to pick up.
    That's because the radios for 2G and 3G were two separate radios. The 3G/hspa+/LTE are the same radio! You can't shut it off. You will not get any signal. This is the reason that AT&T is closing/ changing the 2G edge spectrum to LTE. Its no longer needed and all the frequencies will be on one radio. At&ts lte is not like Verizon's which needs an lte radio and a cdma radio. All of those frequencies for at&t are on the same radio. Hence no switch. You can't compare the edge /3G situation to the current because of the old having two radios and the current having one. Any questions ?
    03-31-2012 11:05 PM

Oh and PS it picked up the LTE because the radio has that frequency available and set as priority. So if LTE is available that gets priority over hspa+ and then 3G. All the same radio just different frequencies.
    03-31-2012 11:07 PM
93 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD