AT&T Rep + Experience w/ WP7 + Lumia 900

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
This is not true remotely. How else would the phone know to connect to an LTE network unless it periodically pings for a signal every period of time. If you're on 3G and you roam into a 2g only area how would it reconnect once you go back into a 3g zone? The 2g radio cannot communicate with a 3g network to tell the phone to again activate the 3g radio. Why else do you think people are asking for an LTE switch?

it will ping for a signal but it will only pick up available bands, the 3G/HSPA+/LTE are all off the same radio they are all technically 3G bands. This is why AT&T's network doesnt have drop off between the LTE/HSPA+/3G networks unlike other carriers. Come on man its not rocket science. True 4G radio wouldnt be needed until LTE revision2 which is actual 4G. So therefore if there is a full strength 3G or HSPA+ signal the radio will latch onto that and use that. Its not like when there is no service and the radio keeps searching. So in conclusion once the radio is locked onto a frequency of one of the bands it doesnt keep searching it utilizes that. People are asking because they are misinformed

I thought the network handles everything, and tells the phone when to switch towers?

AndreaCristiano

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
I thought the network handles everything, and tells the phone when to switch towers?

switching towers only comes into play when the phone needs to switch, from weaker signal to stronger signal. When a frequency isnt available the phone wont search for it. It will grab the strongest signal thats available and ride that.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
switching towers only comes into play when the phone needs to switch, from weaker signal to stronger signal. When a frequency isnt available the phone wont search for it. It will grab the strongest signal thats available and ride that.

Sorry I meant signal, like choosing between EDGE and 3G.

Anyway, how does it know a frequency isn't available?

AndreaCristiano

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Sorry I meant signal, like choosing between EDGE and 3G.

Anyway, how does it know a frequency isn't available?

the frequency wont be available if it isnt turned on so the radio will connect to whatever is the strongest frequency it can detect.So if your in old school 3G thats what you will get if youre in HSPA+ thats what you will get. Once your in LTE then you will get that. The only time your signal messes with your battery is when its low or no signal. At this point your radio keeps hunting for a stronger tower/signal and thats what drains your battery. The reason LTE affects battery with phones now is because the phones arent completely optimized for an LTE network.

jbrandonf

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
it will ping for a signal but it will only pick up available bands, the 3G/HSPA+/LTE are all off the same radio they are all technically 3G bands. This is why AT&T's network doesnt have drop off between the LTE/HSPA+/3G networks unlike other carriers. Come on man its not rocket science. True 4G radio wouldnt be needed until LTE revision2 which is actual 4G. So therefore if there is a full strength 3G or HSPA+ signal the radio will latch onto that and use that. Its not like when there is no service and the radio keeps searching. So in conclusion once the radio is locked onto a frequency of one of the bands it doesnt keep searching it utilizes that. People are asking because they are misinformed

I don't understand why you keep arguing with me. LTE is a completely different technology and until later this year, a different radio inside the phone. There IS drop off from LTE to H+ otherwise at&t could just update the software on the cell towers and have instant LTE countrywide (because upgrading from 3G to HSPA+ involves just a software upgrade on the towers and some adjustments to backhaul). Now obviously this isn't the case. At&t needs to install LTE towers all over the country to provide that service.

jbrandonf

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
the frequency wont be available if it isnt turned on so the radio will connect to whatever is the strongest frequency it can detect.So if your in old school 3G thats what you will get if youre in HSPA+ thats what you will get. Once your in LTE then you will get that. The only time your signal messes with your battery is when its low or no signal. At this point your radio keeps hunting for a stronger tower/signal and thats what drains your battery. The reason LTE affects battery with phones now is because the phones arent completely optimized for an LTE network.

Its not about how LTE integrates with the network. The chips are first generation and are not as efficient as they will be as time goes on. Also, they're not integrated into the System-on-a-Chip along with the rest of the GPS, WiFi, Bluetooth, 1G, 2G, and 3G radios. Second generation LTE radios that are all on the same chip will be much more battery efficient.

jbrandonf

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site

The phone won't know if the frequency is available if it isn't pinging the radio...this is my whole point. If LTE phones get an LTE switch, battery life will improve because you can turn the LTE radio off altogether. When I was in an LTE zone earlier last week it automatically connected...know why? The LTE radio sent out a ping and discovered that LTE was available so it handed off the data connection from the 3G radio to the LTE radio seamlessly.

On the early 3G phones like the iPhone 3G, it was a battery suggestion to turn off the 3G radio even if you weren't in a 3G zone in order to save battery life. Why do you think that is? It's because the radio was on, pinging the airwaves to see if their was a signal to pick up.

AndreaCristiano

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
The phone won't know if the frequency is available if it isn't pinging the radio...this is my whole point. If LTE phones get an LTE switch, battery life will improve because you can turn the LTE radio off altogether. When I was in an LTE zone earlier last week it automatically connected...know why? The LTE radio sent out a ping and discovered that LTE was available so it handed off the data connection from the 3G radio to the LTE radio seamlessly.

On the early 3G phones like the iPhone 3G, it was a battery suggestion to turn off the 3G radio even if you weren't in a 3G zone in order to save battery life. Why do you think that is? It's because the radio was on, pinging the airwaves to see if their was a signal to pick up.

That's because the radios for 2G and 3G were two separate radios. The 3G/hspa+/LTE are the same radio! You can't shut it off. You will not get any signal. This is the reason that AT&T is closing/ changing the 2G edge spectrum to LTE. Its no longer needed and all the frequencies will be on one radio. At&ts lte is not like Verizon's which needs an lte radio and a cdma radio. All of those frequencies for at&t are on the same radio. Hence no switch. You can't compare the edge /3G situation to the current because of the old having two radios and the current having one. Any questions ?

AndreaCristiano

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site

Oh and PS it picked up the LTE because the radio has that frequency available and set as priority. So if LTE is available that gets priority over hspa+ and then 3G. All the same radio just different frequencies.

AndreaCristiano

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand why you keep arguing with me. LTE is a completely different technology and until later this year, a different radio inside the phone. There IS drop off from LTE to H+ otherwise at&t could just update the software on the cell towers and have instant LTE countrywide (because upgrading from 3G to HSPA+ involves just a software upgrade on the towers and some adjustments to backhaul). Now obviously this isn't the case. At&t needs to install LTE towers all over the country to provide that service.

Youre incorrect. There is no drop off from LTE to hspa+ its not a different radio. LTE wasn't implemented because the spectrum wasn't available or ready at the towers

jbrandonf

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
That's because the radios for 2G and 3G were two separate radios. The 3G/hspa+/LTE are the same radio! You can't shut it off. You will not get any signal. This is the reason that AT&T is closing/ changing the 2G edge spectrum to LTE. Its no longer needed and all the frequencies will be on one radio. At&ts lte is not like Verizon's which needs an lte radio and a cdma radio. All of those frequencies for at&t are on the same radio. Hence no switch. You can't compare the edge /3G situation to the current because of the old having two radios and the current having one. Any questions ?

Change your APN settings! - xda-developers

Shuts off LTE radio and as a result the user gets better battery life. AT&T seems to not want the switch there.

jbrandonf

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Youre incorrect. There is no drop off from LTE to hspa+ its not a different radio. LTE wasn't implemented because the spectrum wasn't available or ready at the towers

Tower Collocation Leases- Modifications for LTE Towers

And that one will explain how it isn't just about spectrum and how actual equipment needs to be modified on the towers.

EDUT: Doing some reading on LTE chips did help clarify a lot of misconceptions I had about GSM LTE radios. Can you provide some reading on how exactly the handoff works as you describe? I'm honestly curious where you're getting this info.

Last edited:

AndreaCristiano

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Nothing you showed me I didn't say above. I said spectrum and tower build out. That doesn't change the fact that the radio in the phone is one radio. The apn is to activate the usage of the band in the radio. So you're not bringing anything to this table. You're talking to someone who helped build roms etc for Android I know how phones, radios, kernels etc etc all work and why so please try again

jbrandonf

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Nothing you showed me I didn't say above. I said spectrum and tower build out. That doesn't change the fact that the radio in the phone is one radio. The apn is to activate the usage of the band in the radio. So you're not bringing anything to this table. You're talking to someone who helped build roms etc for Android I know how phones, radios, kernels etc etc all work and why so please try again

"LTE wasn't implemented because the spectrum wasn't available or ready at the towers"
Looks like you said only spectrum was the reason for LTE not being available. Nothing about building out towers. If you're right you're right but all I ask is for something to read.

AndreaCristiano

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
"LTE wasn't implemented because the spectrum wasn't available or ready at the towers"
Looks like you said only spectrum was the reason for LTE not being available. Nothing about building out towers. If you're right you're right but all I ask is for something to read.

what do you think wasnt ready at the towers means?

jbrandonf

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
what do you think wasnt ready at the towers means?

The lease wasn't signed for those frequencies, that's how you came off.

spec?trum/ˈspektrəm/
Noun:

1.A band of colors, as seen in a rainbow, produced by separation of the components of light by their different degrees of refraction...
2.The entire range of WAVELENGTHS of electromagnetic radiation

Spectrum isn't actually equipment.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo