AT&T Rep + Experience w/ WP7 + Lumia 900

AndreaCristiano

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
The lease wasn't signed for those frequencies, that's how you came off.

spec·trum/spektrm/
Noun:

1.A band of colors, as seen in a rainbow, produced by separation of the components of light by their different degrees of refraction...
2.The entire range of WAVELENGTHS of electromagnetic radiation

Spectrum isn't actually equipment.

I think you're misreading what I right

KCMike

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Interesting info on the Lumia 900.

I originally had the Focus, & while I thought Win7 was interesting & artistic, it didn't have the app support in the beginning. So I took it back to the AT&T store & picked up the HTC Inspire 4G.

I've since sold the Inspire 4G & have been using a buddy's iPhone 3GS. It's a nice little phone and the apps are cool, however I wouldn't mind trying a Windows phone again. Btw, the battery life that Apple is always saying is so great? Ya, it sucks on the 3GS. I can't believe Apple users make fun of Android phones.

In any case, I'm interested in the Lumia 900 & the Windows platform again, however my issue is still the lack of apps. I checked Zune & apps like Waze, which I LOVE on Android/iOS, isn't available.

Here are a few other apps I'd miss out on:
> Draw Something
> Words With Friends
> Box
> Angry Birds Space (I've read its on the way)
> Pandora (Really?)
> Paypal (1st party app)
> Pulse News (great app on Android/iOS)
> Open Table
> Weather Underground
> Raindar (iOS doesn't have this either - awesome app on Android)

I knew these apps might eventually be on the way but it's discouraging to thing great apps aren't included in the Windows marketplace even after all this time.

Anyone else have this issue?

spi7fire

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

I originally had the Focus, & while I thought Win7 was interesting & artistic, it didn't have the app support in the beginning. So I took it back to the AT&T store & picked up the HTC Inspire 4G.

I've since sold the Inspire 4G & have been using a buddy's iPhone 3GS. It's a nice little phone and the apps are cool, however I wouldn't mind trying a Windows phone again. Btw, the battery life that Apple is always saying is so great? Ya, it sucks on the 3GS. I can't believe Apple users make fun of Android phones.

In any case, I'm interested in the Lumia 900 & the Windows platform again, however my issue is still the lack of apps. I checked Zune & apps like Waze, which I LOVE on Android/iOS, isn't available.

> Draw Something
> Words With Friends
> Box
> Pandora (Really?)
> Paypal (1st party app)
> Open Table
> Weather Underground

I knew these apps might eventually be on the way but it's discouraging to thing great apps aren't included in the Windows marketplace even after all this time.

Pulse News and WUnderground are available on the windows phone marketplace.

kltye

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
For those getting confused about LTE & HSPA+ being "the same", they're not. E-UTRA is the air interface for LTE, which is completely incompatible with W-CDMA: E-UTRA - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

If an air interface is not compatible (hence, "not the same"), the W-CDMA radios are not one and the same with LTE radios. Therefore, you can "turn off" the LTE radio and fallback on W-CDMA.

The air interface has NOTHING to do with frequency bands; the air interface specifies HOW bits are transmitted on a given frequency. The phone doesn't magically know which air interfaces are available (and frequency bands), and so has to "ping the air", so to speak, to figure out what's available and which networks it can connect to.

1st generation LTE chips were built on the 65nm process, which is relatively inefficient. Current generation LTE chips are built on 45nm, and are more efficient, while in the future, the LTE modem will be integrated right into the SoC itself, thereby eliminating an additional chip and increasing power efficiency.

AndreaCristiano

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
3GPP Long Term Evolution (LTE), is the latest standard in the mobile network technology tree that produced the GSM/EDGE and UMTS/HSPA network technologies. It is a project of the 3rd Generation Partnership Project (3GPP), operating under a name trademarked by one of the associations within the partnership, the European Telecommunications Standards Institute.

HSPA+, also known as Evolved High-Speed Packet Access is a wireless broadband standard defined in 3GPP release 7 and above.HSPA+ provides HSPA data rates up to 84 Megabits per second (Mbit/s) on the downlink and 22 Mbit/s on the uplink through the use of a multiple-antenna technique known as MIMO (for “multiple-input and multiple-output”) and higher order modulation (64QAM). MIMO on CDMA based systems acts like virtual sectors to give extra capacity closer to the mast. The 84 Mbit/s and 22 Mbit/s represent theoretical peak sector speeds. The actual speed for a user will be lower. At cell edge and even at half the distance to the cell edge there may only be slight increase compared with 14.4 Mbit/s HSDPA unless a channel wider than 5 MHz is used. Future revisions of HSPA+ support up to 168 Mbit/s using multiple carriers and up to 672Mbps is proposed for 3GPP Release 11 using advanced antenna techniques.
Source(s):
3gpp.org

kltye

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
3GPP Long Term Evolution (LTE), is the latest standard in the mobile network technology tree that produced the GSM/EDGE and UMTS/HSPA network technologies. It is a project of the 3rd Generation Partnership Project (3GPP), operating under a name trademarked by one of the associations within the partnership, the European Telecommunications Standards Institute.

HSPA+, also known as Evolved High-Speed Packet Access is a wireless broadband standard defined in 3GPP release 7 and above.HSPA+ provides HSPA data rates up to 84 Megabits per second (Mbit/s) on the downlink and 22 Mbit/s on the uplink through the use of a multiple-antenna technique known as MIMO (for ?multiple-input and multiple-output?) and higher order modulation (64QAM). MIMO on CDMA based systems acts like virtual sectors to give extra capacity closer to the mast. The 84 Mbit/s and 22 Mbit/s represent theoretical peak sector speeds. The actual speed for a user will be lower. At cell edge and even at half the distance to the cell edge there may only be slight increase compared with 14.4 Mbit/s HSDPA unless a channel wider than 5 MHz is used. Future revisions of HSPA+ support up to 168 Mbit/s using multiple carriers and up to 672Mbps is proposed for 3GPP Release 11 using advanced antenna techniques.
Source(s):
3gpp.org

Yes, 3GPP is responsible for GSM, UMTS, and LTE. And yes, LTE evolved from UMTS (much like UMTS evolved from GSM). That still doesn't mean the radios are the "same". As a quick example, WCDMA/UMTS/HSPA use 5MHz chunks of spectrum to work, while LTE has the ability to use variable-sized chunks, ranging from 1.4MHz to 20MHz. That's a significant change in terms of how the air interface works. That's just like saying WiFi and Bluetooth are using the same radio, even if they're on the same chip.

AndreaCristiano

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Yes, 3GPP is responsible for GSM, UMTS, and LTE. And yes, LTE evolved from UMTS (much like UMTS evolved from GSM). That still doesn't mean the radios are the "same". As a quick example, WCDMA/UMTS/HSPA use 5MHz chunks of spectrum to work, while LTE has the ability to use variable-sized chunks, ranging from 1.4MHz to 20MHz. That's a significant change in terms of how the air interface works. That's just like saying WiFi and Bluetooth are using the same radio, even if they're on the same chip.

no those are two totally different things

kltye

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
well my point is still valid if the hspa+ signal is strong and no LTE signal is there the radio wont ping for LTE because its latched onto that signal
What happens, then, if there's an LTE signal available? Say you travel from a place that has only HSPA+, then go into a region covered by both HSPA+ and LTE, how would the phone know LTE exists in that area?

AndreaCristiano

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
What happens, then, if there's an LTE signal available? Say you travel from a place that has only HSPA+, then go into a region covered by both HSPA+ and LTE, how would the phone know LTE exists in that area?

LTE is the priority signal so that signal would get preference

Siah1214

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site

> Draw Something
> Words With Friends
> Box
> Pandora (Really?)
> Paypal (1st party app)
> Open Table
> Weather Underground

Open table is on WP7 as well, as is Pulse news (simply called pulse). There's also a 3rd party app for Box that works pretty well.

Did you search for these apps or just assume they weren't there? :straight:

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Can you test whether you can stream audio to bluetooth while playing video (i.e., Netflix or Youtube)?

Should do, I can do that on my Radar and I think all 2nd gen devices can, just not 1st gen, though there was a reg tweak that enabled it on some 1st gen devices. Unless at&t or Nokia blocks it no reason why it wouldnt.

jbrandonf

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Can you test whether you can stream audio to bluetooth while playing video (i.e., Netflix or Youtube)?

This may depend on the device but I just paired the Lumia with the in-store demo of the Beats by Dre BeatBox and the mobile version of YouTube as well as Netflix stream audio to the Bluetooth speaker.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb