AT&T Rep + Experience w/ WP7 + Lumia 900

AndreaCristiano

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, so will AT&T request this update?

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

yes it would be idiotic for it not to request any update they are making a major push with Nokia/WindowsPhone. Trying to get the next big hit on their hands because the other providers are ignoring WindowsPhone

jbrandonf

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Did you notice the same drag response on the Lumia 800? Do you think the sensitivity is related to software or the hardware of the screen itself? I too noticed this effect when testing it out.

No my L800 has very crisp and tight scrolling which is why I'm confused that the L900 doesn't.

As far as the LTE switch, well there is none. I haven't thought about it since is discovered there wasn't one because of the already stellar battery life but now I'm wondering how much better it would be with that switch available. It certainly doesn't really "need" one like the LTE androids do.

That's actually a bad habit that lots of at&t phones have. I know they want you to use LTE because it's more efficient to push data over that network than the 3g one but still, users need control.

I'm glad they'll be releasing these in a week or so because they'll have time to iron out some issues I've been having with data dropouts. Randomly I'll be disconnected from the data network for minutes or hours at a time. I'm not sure if it's a device thing, SIM thing or a network thing but I'm going to work with my manager on some back-end solutions to see if we can fix this. Telephony services (calls/texts) work fine though. The phone can't launch with these problems though, especially not with the expectations that at&t, Nokia and MS are building. Not sure how widespread this problem is.

Seketh

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
yes it would be idiotic for it not to request any update they are making a major push with Nokia/WindowsPhone. Trying to get the next big hit on their hands because the other providers are ignoring WindowsPhone

This update you're talking about is Tango.

The Lumia 900 is not running Tango yet, it's an earlier WP7 build designed to support LTE.

jbrandonf

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Also, reception seems to be much better than my Titan. One problem that drives me nuts about Windows Phone is that it disconnects WiFi when the screen is shut off. Same thing here, I gave this feedback to my Windows Phone contact to pass up the chain but this needs to be the concern of the whole community.

It preserves data when your phone pulls on background information when the phone is locked and it preserves battery life as WiFi is a more efficient radio than any network radio. Plus if your phone locks while you're waiting for some video to load you don't want to have to reload the whole thing because the WiFi shut off in the middle.

The speaker is much improved from the Lumia 800. Overall volume and clarity is better but still, its a phone speaker. It still doesn't compare to the HTC Surround which I think was the best I've heard from a phone.

A lot of value I think will be from the Nokia services provided. I love the Nokia Drive app. I've used it on my Lumia 800 but I like that I can now easily say it has free GPS instead of the un-safe navigation that Microsoft provides. You just have to download it from the market, it does not come preinstalled. Navigation around Drive is simple, with nice big buttons in case you have to manipulate it while driving. You can download maps by state if you wish too. I wish that if you tap on an address it would give you the option to set Drive as the default mapping app or to open Drive instead of Maps but it's not terrible though.

Nokia Transit needs to support way more public transit locations than it does now to be really useful. This will only come with time I assume.

jbrandonf

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Can you test is BT audio streaming works while wifi is on? My Focus and Omnia always had trouble with that.

Did you want WiFi connected? I'm posting this while streaming to my Bluetooth speaker and there doesn't seem to be any issues at all. My WiFi is connected right now by the way.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Not having the switch isn't a bug, so not sure why everyone seems to think it's a bug that needs to addressed. Nokia has always been awesome with battery life, so if users are getting a full day with it on, I don't think it's necessary.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Not having the switch isn't a bug, so not sure why everyone seems to think it's a bug that needs to addressed. Nokia has always been awesome with battery life, so if users are getting a full day with it on, I don't think it's necessary.

I don't see it as a bug, but I question the validity of removing the option, especially when so many areas don't have LTE coverage yet, and won't for a long time, if ever. Regardless of being able to get through the day with it on, if I can't use the service, I don't want it draining my battery down. I live and work in a rural area, and if I get a flat on the way home from work it could be a while before my phone sees a charger, and every bit of juice will count.

AndreaCristiano

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
I don't see it as a bug, but I question the validity of removing the option, especially when so many areas don't have LTE coverage yet, and won't for a long time, if ever. Regardless of being able to get through the day with it on, if I can't use the service, I don't want it draining my battery down. I live and work in a rural area, and if I get a flat on the way home from work it could be a while before my phone sees a charger, and every bit of juice will count.

Why would it drain your battery? If there is no LTE then the network wouldn't affect your battery. Your phone will just use the 3G/hspa+ available. The LTE bands won't even be utilized

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

jbrandonf

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Why would it drain your battery? If there is no LTE then the network wouldn't affect your battery. Your phone will just use the 3G/hspa+ available. The LTE bands won't even be utilized

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

The radios will still be searching for networks to connect to. How else do you think the phone knows when an LTE network is available?

AndreaCristiano

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
The radios will still be searching for networks to connect to. How else do you think the phone knows when an LTE network is available?

if LTE isnt available the radio will not be searching for it. Its the same thing as if a 3G phone is in a 2G service area only the radio picks up the 2G and and it doesnt keep searching. if the band isnt available the radio wont look for it.It has to be turned on for the radio to seek it

jbrandonf

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
if LTE isnt available the radio will not be searching for it. Its the same thing as if a 3G phone is in a 2G service area only the radio picks up the 2G and and it doesnt keep searching. if the band isnt available the radio wont look for it.It has to be turned on for the radio to seek it

This is not true remotely. How else would the phone know to connect to an LTE network unless it periodically pings for a signal every period of time. If you're on 3G and you roam into a 2g only area how would it reconnect once you go back into a 3g zone? The 2g radio cannot communicate with a 3g network to tell the phone to again activate the 3g radio. Why else do you think people are asking for an LTE switch?

AndreaCristiano

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
This is not true remotely. How else would the phone know to connect to an LTE network unless it periodically pings for a signal every period of time. If you're on 3G and you roam into a 2g only area how would it reconnect once you go back into a 3g zone? The 2g radio cannot communicate with a 3g network to tell the phone to again activate the 3g radio. Why else do you think people are asking for an LTE switch?

it will ping for a signal but it will only pick up available bands, the 3G/HSPA+/LTE are all off the same radio they are all technically 3G bands. This is why AT&T's network doesnt have drop off between the LTE/HSPA+/3G networks unlike other carriers. Come on man its not rocket science. True 4G radio wouldnt be needed until LTE revision2 which is actual 4G. So therefore if there is a full strength 3G or HSPA+ signal the radio will latch onto that and use that. Its not like when there is no service and the radio keeps searching. So in conclusion once the radio is locked onto a frequency of one of the bands it doesnt keep searching it utilizes that. People are asking because they are misinformed

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte