When does your card get billed for pre-orders?

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I have only ever pre-ordered phones from Amazon before, and I know they don't charge your card until the item ships. But, Amazon wants $120 for an upgrade for the 900, so I won't be going that route. Does anyone know when AT&T charges your card? Is it at the time you pre-order or when your phone ships? What about Wal-Mart?

Adiliyo

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
it should be when the order ships, but if you use a debit card, they may place a hold on the amount that will go away in a couple days, or it being so close to shipping next week, may just go through.

generally though, most companies won't charge your card until they've shipped your product.

krisguy

VR Expert
Sep 30, 2007
Visit site
AT&T charges when it is shipped. When you get the email with the tracking number, your card has been charged.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

cwgolfgti

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
I just pre-ordered through AT&T's webstie. I used a debit card.
I was charged $1.00 three times, then $99.99 after that at the time I submitted the order.

Im wondering if that is a hold on the money and will drop off or what? Because all i have left in my bank account is 80 bucks. I dont want them to try and process the full amount later and have it declined due to not enough funds then have the ordere canceled.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Pre-ordered in-store (AT&T Corporate Store) today and re-upped my contract and paid for the Lumia at the same time. Pick up later this week.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

eastbayrae

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
That is an 'merchant hold' and it can stay there up to 4 days. If the merchant does actually request the money by then the hold comes off the card and the charge disappears.

Bgrubb

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I have only ever pre-ordered phones from Amazon before, and I know they don't charge your card until the item ships. But, Amazon wants $120 for an upgrade for the 900, so I won't be going that route. Does anyone know when AT&T charges your card? Is it at the time you pre-order or when your phone ships? What about Wal-Mart?
I pre ordered yesterday and haven't been charged yet. But AT&T usually debts when it ships.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I ordered mine yesterday, I have a cc charge in my bank account for the amount, but the charge itself is still in the "processing" state. Interesting, I haven't recieved any email about the order, but I can look up the order on AT&T's website, and it's "pending" so I'm not worried.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077