If I buy a 900 no contract ($449), do I need a 2yr plan commitment for LTE?

crg28

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Let me get this straight,

I do not want to have a 2 yr commitment to AT&T. I hate to be handcuffed. But I was told today that if I want LTE on a no-commitment priced Lumia 900 @ $449, I will need to sign up for a 2-yr plan???? Is this absurdity true? It makes absolutely no sense.

I know about the GoPhone plans, but I was also told there is no LTE Gophone plans for most smartphones at AT&T......

If this is true, this unbelievable. Please tell me this is not true...

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I preordered online with help from a rep. They said my plan would be upgraded to the LTE service automatically but my plan fee ECT would remain the same. They can't make you sign a contract if you are buying phone full price with no commitment. Commitment is only for subsidized phones.

Sent from my {Samsung Focus} using Board Express

WayCool

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Idea here...

I doubt you will get LTE with a gophone plan (I am on one as well :( )

But, thinkg about this.. the ETF to get out of the contract is only $325 ... and they reduce the ETF by $10 per month your on contract.

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/articles-resources/early-term-fees.jsp

I'll let you do the math :)

My guess is you'll still need a regular account plan to get LTE which mean no gophone with LTE..not a big deal for me since we dont have LTE yet..

I'm just guessing here mostly because I'm in the same boat...

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Reps get paid bonuses if they hit their contract quotas. Ergo, some lack integrity and LIE to get more contracts. You don't have to sign a contract unless you want a subsidized device. Period. No ifs, ands, or buts. You probably won't get LTE on Gophone, but there is still month to month post-paid.

doejoe007

Mar 22, 2012
Visit site
Spoke with couple ATT people.

If you have your own deice, you can bring it to the store to get activated on postpaid service without contract.

Specifically asked if there would be a contract, they said no contract and no termination fee if you bring your own device.

Also checked, GoPhone no LTE nor HSPA. If you want HSPA, go Straight talk from Walmart.

LTE only on ATT postpaid unfortunately.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Next they'll want a 10 year contract, direct access to your bank account for payment withdrawals, facebook username and password, and your first born male child.

On a serious note. I don't even bother going into the stores anymore. I just call AT&T and order my SIM card on a 30 days and out contract. I buy my phones from NewEgg, Amazon, eBay, MobileCityOnline...etc...

crg28

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Spoke with couple ATT people.

If you have your own deice, you can bring it to the store to get activated on postpaid service without contract.

Specifically asked if there would be a contract, they said no contract and no termination fee if you bring your own device.

Also checked, GoPhone no LTE nor HSPA. If you want HSPA, go Straight talk from Walmart.

LTE only on ATT postpaid unfortunately.

Ok. So I am able to be on a postpaid LTE plan without a contract?

jd914

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Let me get this straight,

I do not want to have a 2 yr commitment to AT&T. I hate to be handcuffed. But I was told today that if I want LTE on a no-commitment priced Lumia 900 @ $449, I will need to sign up for a 2-yr plan???? Is this absurdity true? It makes absolutely no sense.

I know about the GoPhone plans, but I was also told there is no LTE Gophone plans for most smartphones at AT&T......

If this is true, this unbelievable. Please tell me this is not true...

This is not true, all you have to do is get your data plan provisioned to LTE and you'll be good to go. There is no need to get into a new 2 year contract if you're purchasing a device at no commitment pricing. You can either switch your data plan when activating your Lumia 900 at home or just take it at an AT&T store and they can do it. I don't understand why misinformation like this is passed around.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
What is this LTE plan you guys are talking about? I'm looking at my AT&T postpaid account and my prepaid account, and I don't see an LTE data plan. On postpaid I only see 200MB-5GB of data options. On prepaid I only see 10MB-500MB of data available. Is there a separate plan I'm missing or not seeing?

jkdood

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
and then...

By the way, despite what the att.com/lumia page implies, my extensive attempts suggest that neither the reps you call or going to a corporate ATT store will get you a $449 no-commitment phone pre-order NOW. They have no SKU, they can't do it yet, maybe on the 8th they say, I've scoured the Internet, there's 499 Amazon thats it.

I would hugely appreciate anyone that can address the above post & also my ignorance by explaining what one can do (or not do) with a no-commitment no-plan phone.

1. Can they activate it with either an included kit or a call or vist to ATT, NO FEES, to secure a phone number for it, even if no US usage is envisioned yet (maybe take it to Europe and use it on a Pay-as-you-go 3G carrier there that says its compatible?)

2. Can they purchase 1 month of time for talk or data and use it on the AT&T network via a top-up card or somethng similar, and use it in USA (on AT&T? or?), for no fees or red tape other than the 1 month purchase of talk time or data time?

3. For nbr. 2 above, are there variations on what's possible for the 30 days, like Yes-LTE no-LTE, or Yes-4G no-4G, or talk but no data, or vice versa?

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

krisguy

VR Expert
Sep 30, 2007
Visit site
LTE devices are not allowed on GoPhone plans, but if you either bring your own device or pay no-commitment, you should not have a contract. The only exception is that some employee discounts can require 2 year commitments on handset changes. Talk to Care if that is the case.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
The receipt I got today when I pre-ordered in-store states, $350 contract subsidy. So that plus $99, sounds like $449 to me. I didn't see the screen, but on Friday when I tried to pre-order, my rep (a friend of mine) said that the Lumia was coming up at full price, as my upgrade would not kick in till April 1st. So I had to go back today to complete the pre-order transaction. My rep gave me the impression that he could have completed the transaction at full price but obviously knew I was due for an upgrade.

BTW, my upgrade was due April 9th, but AT&T recently changed the policy to provide upgrades on the 1st day on the month your upgrade is due. Thank goodness for that.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
What is this LTE plan you guys are talking about? I'm looking at my AT&T postpaid account and my prepaid account, and I don't see an LTE data plan. On postpaid I only see 200MB-5GB of data options. On prepaid I only see 10MB-500MB of data available. Is there a separate plan I'm missing or not seeing?
Same plan as you currently have, but will work with LTE. I pre-ordered today in-store and my grandfathered $30 unlimited plan was changed to a $30 unlimited LTE plan.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

cj-m

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
It would be great if one of the reps could explain to us the finer points of buying the phone non commitent and how we can go about using it.

There are a lot of us onboard who want to buy the 900 but dont have US SSN numbers, so we cant open an AT&T account.

If there was a work around or another option that would be fantastic!

dangish

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
To clarify, you CaNNOT have it on a gophone plan. You can have a no commitment/no contract/postpaid plan, it will require a credit check. You can change the data up/down on it without a change in the contract term.

Cheapest/Best individual plan is $90 a month. 450mins for landline calls, unlmyd text and calls to any cell in the us, 3GB of data. Anyone who is new to at&t and knows someone with at&t register on the att.com/referral or whichever it is. After both confirm and 90days pass both will get a $25 card. Refer up to 5 people a year for $125.
The Call feature will work on gophone but data WILL NOT.

Last edited:

jkdood

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
To clarify, you CaNNOT have it on a gophone plan. You can have a no commitment/no contract/postpaid plan, it will require a credit check. You can change the data up/down on it without a change in the contract term.

Cheapest/Best individual plan is $90 a month. 450mins for landline calls, unlmyd text and calls to any cell in the us, 3GB of data. Anyone who is new to at&t and knows someone with at&t register on the att.com/referral or whichever it is. After both confirm and 90days pass both will get a $25 card. Refer up to 5 people a year for $125.
The Call feature will work on gophone but data WILL NOT.
Danglish thank you for reply. I am sorry I also am confused, can I ask you to clarify something or confirm my understanding please:

I buy the $449 no-plan phone. I can activate it and get a phone number assigned. I can probably use it in Europe on a carrier plan there if compatible, but it will not be LTE.

I will not be able to talk or text on AT&T network in any form until I at least buy a no-contract 1 month post-paid plan, which means I must sign up with established credit (card) and then will be billed for the one-month base fee plus any overages that month. I can do this for maybe $90 or so and cancel or close account after 1 month if desired, without fees or penalties of any type. This will allow one month of 4G LTE splendor using the Lumia 900 on the AT&T speedy network for talk and data.

There are no partial plans, for just talk, or talk and data but no LTE, or top-up cards $10 at a time or pay as you go, with a pre-paid approach, to achieve usability other than above. THANK YOU

dangish

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
No partial plans or prepaid for the Lumia. Credit as in your social, if you don't have a social or you have low credit you may have a deposit. The deposit is fully refundable. You can cancel without penalty. If you get it unlocked for an international carrier you can use it there. You won't get it for no commitment from at&t. You will have to get it else where. at&t sells windows phones at no commitment to people who already have an account

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo