04-04-2012 08:09 PM
51 123
tools
    Scratches? Your saying the silver camera bezel gets scratched up real easy?
    04-02-2012 04:24 AM
    I've been with Sprint for nearly 10 years and have seen the service and data speeds plummet the past couple years. I live in the Raleigh/Cary area and am constantly in Roam. I was all set to order the 900 yesterday, but wanted to see it in person before making the switch to AT&T. The sales rep at my local store let me play with his black 900 and I couldn't believe how slow the scrolling moved on the start screen. I don't want to use the word "lag" because that's not quite correct...it was just slow. On my HTC Arrive, I can give a quick flick and the screen scrolls extremely fast and fluid...not so on his 900. Until yesterday, the Arrive was the only Windows Phone device I've used. Is this slowness common to other Windows Phones?

Also, after seeing the AT&T prices and learning my corporate discount is only applied to the voice plan, I can't justify moving from Sprint at this time. Needless to say, my visit to the AT&T store yesterday was a disappointment.
    only voice? I guess all corporate plans aren't equal because mine apply to voice, data, and data att prices are ridiculous. I couldnt afford 3 phones without my corporate discount.
    04-02-2012 06:25 AM
    i get discount on voice and data, but only on the 5gb data plan, but in the end voice plus 5gb+tethering is costing me about the same as it would without the discount and the 3gb plan, so i'm happy.

prepaid is cheaper, but you don't get LTE with prepaid...
    djgc likes this.
    04-02-2012 07:40 AM
    I have 5 days of play time with a 900 under my belt now and I can say for sure it doesn't lag. Not at all. It has a different feel than my Focus for sure not sure how to describe it but there is no lag at all.
    04-02-2012 04:39 PM
    I played with 2 Lumias on Friday when I preordered mine and my daughters. I have used the Focus since day 1 then went to the Focus S on the day it was released. The scroll speed was a little slower on the 900 but it was still fluid and no lagging. It still was faster than my daughters Titan she uses now. The build quality and feel though cant even be compared in my mind to the current crop of devices. It is heads and shoulders above them. As another poster said also Nokia has been quick to release updates to firmware to fix bugs in the 800 and I imagine they will continue that with the 900. I just hope AT&T does a better job of releasing them to us or Nokia finds a way around AT&T to release them.
    04-02-2012 05:13 PM
    Tested my Arrive against the 900 and the 900 was twice as fast. Weird that others are finding it slower than Gen 1 phones.

I walked away thinking until Apollo drops there is very little differentiating one WP device from another. Difficult to justify leaving Sprint by a cost difference of $1000 for what's on the table now.

Sent from my HTC Arrive using Board Express
    04-02-2012 06:37 PM
    I have a Lumia 800, it had issues. All phones ship with some kind of issue, it's just the nature of the beast. But here's why I recommend Nokia: They *fix* issues. I can't say the same for other OEMs.

So rest assured that this will be addressed by Nokia very quickly. They are very serious about their phones specially right now. It's touch screen tuning, that's all there is to it.

Nokia supports their work very well. That means a lot to me as a customer.
    04-02-2012 06:44 PM
    First off: To those considering moving to AT&T from Sprint, I still believe Sprint will get a Nokia with Apollo, so I would only make this move of you wake up on the morning and your first thought is "I hate this network.....". If not, the 900 is will be a great device, but why move when you are 6 months from the 3rd Gen of WP and it may be coming with LTE to a Sprint upgrade near you?

To those asking if the 900 is better than the Focus S, I have a two part answer: No, the 900 is not better than the "S" unless you live in a LTE area. The "S" is seamless and an amazingly enjoyable device. However, Nokia is better than Samsung, and WP owners will be way better off in their hands. If the slow scrolling problem reported by some of our users is not really a problem, than I would have a hard time not saying grab the 900.
    SalsaKarma likes this.
    04-02-2012 08:30 PM
    I have read on a few forums that the demo units possibly aren't running on finalized release firmware.

The units being demoed could also be running multiple apps in the background, as well as having the settings messed with by other users. Multiple issues could add to a phone running slow. Try rebooting the device and see how it runs after a fresh start up.

I mean, if my original Focus with the minimal specs for Windows Phone 7 can run 7.5 with the same ease, a Nokia phone with some slightly better specs should run it the same speed, or faster. Also, as a few here have said, Nokia has been good with the 800 and updating to fix some quirks, the 900 shouldn't be any different, other than the AT&T roadblock.
    04-03-2012 02:16 AM
    I have read on a few forums that the demo units possibly aren't running on finalized release firmware.

The units being demoed could also be running multiple apps in the background, as well as having the settings messed with by other users. Multiple issues could add to a phone running slow. Try rebooting the device and see how it runs after a fresh start up.

I mean, if my original Focus with the minimal specs for Windows Phone 7 can run 7.5 with the same ease, a Nokia phone with some slightly better specs should run it the same speed, or faster. Also, as a few here have said, Nokia has been good with the 800 and updating to fix some quirks, the 900 shouldn't be any different, other than the AT&T roadblock.
    Have you used a Windows Phone before? Have you ever experienced lag because of "multiple apps running in the background"? No you haven't because apps don't run in the background... they're tombstoned. I can have 5 Xbox Live games "running" in the background on my Focus or Titan and there is never lag. That argument is not a valid one for this or any device. And what settings could possibly make it lag? There is no user accessible setting on any of my devices that would cause a noticeable touchscreen lag.

I'm going to say that the phones the AT&T reps were given and most likely running the same firmware the devices will ship with.
    Could a firmware update fix the problem? Probably.
    Is the issue being overblown? Probably.

If there really is an issue I think it's ironic because of the Smartphone Beta Test ad campaign of Nokia. If a company is willing to put out such an ad, they better make sure their product is perfected before release.
    PhilR8 likes this.
    04-03-2012 03:57 AM
    I agree with jawesome. A lot of excuses being made. Background apps don't run in the background at all. And they would never give employees a "beta" phone, not this close to release. So you can bet your bottom dollar this is the production unit running the firmware we'll all get.

Just in the 5 minutes I played with it at the AT&T store I noticed right away that it wasn't as smooth as even my old Focus. Not "laggy" like some have suggested, but just not as fluid. The taps wouldn't sometimes register, the scrolling was a little off, etc.

And now that I've seen the mediocre photos it produces, I'm not exactly feeling the 900 at all. I wish it was different, but its not. And since its basically an 800 w a bigger screen & LTE, Nokia really should have any issues ironed out by now. If they're going after the iPhone in their ads, it just makes the whole thing seem rather silly. If they're going to do that, then they better have it together.
    PhilR8 likes this.
    04-03-2012 04:37 AM
    I agree with jawesome. A lot of excuses being made. Background apps don't run in the background at all. And they would never give employees a "beta" phone, not this close to release. So you can bet your bottom dollar this is the production unit running the firmware we'll all get.

Just in the 5 minutes I played with it at the AT&T store I noticed right away that it wasn't as smooth as even my old Focus. Not "laggy" like some have suggested, but just not as fluid. The taps wouldn't sometimes register, the scrolling was a little off, etc.

And now that I've seen the mediocre photos it produces, I'm not exactly feeling the 900 at all. I wish it was different, but its not. And since its basically an 800 w a bigger screen & LTE, Nokia really should have any issues ironed out by now. If they're going after the iPhone in their ads, it just makes the whole thing seem rather silly. If they're going to do that, then they better have it together.

don't know what you mean by that as I played with 4 900s and they all perform the same way as my Titan.. Samsung users are spoiled because Samsung uses a different algorithm for scrolling. NO ISSUES OR LESS RESPONSIVE THAN OTHER WP
    04-03-2012 07:40 AM
    Chill with the caps lock. I've also experienced the poor responsiveness of a 900 first-hand and compared it to my year-old HTC Arrive and the Arrive was much snappier. However, I'm going to visit a different at&t store this evening to see if another unit handled by an entirely different staff performs any differently. I'll report back to this thread.

don't know what you mean by that as I played with 4 900s and they all perform the same way as my Titan.. Samsung users are spoiled because Samsung uses a different algorithm for scrolling. NO ISSUES OR LESS RESPONSIVE THAN OTHER WP
    04-03-2012 08:20 AM
    I'm going to throw a monkey in the wrench. I have a Lumia 800 and a Focus S if I was home I would take a video but I'm not so I can't. If I hold them side by side flick both screens the same the Lumia 800 goes all the way to the bottom of my tiles where as the Focus S only makes it about 3/4 of the way down. I propose that the difference you guys are seeing is because of the difference in screen size. The distance your finger travels on the screen on a larger screen device is less than on a smaller screen device. Get it?! On a smaller screen device you are going to move the screen a longer distance because you are accentually telling the screen to scroll further because of the number of pixels/screen rel estate you are dragging your thumb across. Thoughts?
    04-03-2012 09:45 AM
    This is a good post - I'll keep it in mind this afternoon. I'll make sure to take the 900 and compare it to an HTC Titan to see what happens.

I'm going to throw a monkey in the wrench. I have a Lumia 800 and a Focus S if I was home I would take a video but I'm not so I can't. If I hold them side by side flick both screens the same the Lumia 800 goes all the way to the bottom of my tiles where as the Focus S only makes it about 3/4 of the way down. I propose that the difference you guys are seeing is because of the difference in screen size. The distance your finger travels on the screen on a larger screen device is less than on a smaller screen device. Get it?! On a smaller screen device you are going to move the screen a longer distance because you are accentually telling the screen to scroll further because of the number of pixels/screen rel estate you are dragging your thumb across. Thoughts?
    04-03-2012 11:07 AM
    Not only am I not impressed with the 900 I am becomming very disillusioned with Nokia period. The only phone I want is a white Lumia 800 RM-819. Can I actually buy one? No....

Though I've been hearing about it for almost a year now, I personally have not seen a single product from this company.

I have put 25% of my retirement into this company's stock and I'm beginning to wonder if that was not a huge mistake.

For the time being I've decided to keep using my 1st Gen Focus. I'm very tired of playing this anticipation game.
    04-03-2012 11:07 AM
    I agree with this thought. I did the opposite going from an HD7 to a Lumia 710 and thought the 710 was faster but it could just be the smaller screen.

In addition people saying the 900 is just a 800 with a larger screen miss the point. Yes a lot of the internals are the same. But LTE is new and could have its issues if it uses more CPU or is buggy at first. But the bigger difference is the larger screen that will effect the feel of a touch device even if it is the same pixels and what Dave said is probably very true. A larger screen has less pixels that touch your hand on WP. Android doesn't have this problem as much since the resolutions varies.

What I would do is try to compare the Focus S and 900. I am probably going to an AT&T store tomorrow and will test things. But beyond testing scrolling, test app launch times etc... that will give you a more thorough test of responsiveness.
    04-03-2012 12:42 PM
    Check my thread "There is no lag" for an explanation of this "lag" ya'll are talking about. It isn't lag at all.
    04-03-2012 03:06 PM
    So, update.

I went to a different AT&T store and asked to see the Lumia 900. The girl who greeted me seemed a little surprised that I asked about the 900 and she didn't seem sure that she was allowed to show me one, but she found a coworker who let me look at his phone (she left hers at home or something). Her coworker gave me a black 900 that looked to be in very good shape, which was a relief compared to my experience in the mall store. The screen looked perfect and the device just looked great (although the silver camera band was still kind of scratched up).

So I went about putting it through its paces. The scrolling speed was the same - slower than I was used to and even a little jagged at times. However, I went through all of my normal everyday tasks and the 900 was very quick when browsing around the device. I pulled out my Arrive and did side-by-side tests of everything I normally do, and the 900 smoked my Arrive every time. It was much quicker opening just about everything. Sometimes the devices reacted at the same speed but most of the time the 900 was very very quick.

It was almost unreal to see how much better the screen of the 900 is compared to my Arrive. The devices I used last week were so covered in grime and oil and grossness that I wasn't really able to appreciate the screen properly - the devices I played with today were very clean and the screens looked awesome. The black 900 had the screen brightness set to automatic, so I went into the settings and turned the brightness to high - and wow. I put it next to my Arrive and was just amazed at how ****ty my Arrive looked next to it.

I tried the camera and took a few pics around the store and it still seemed really underwhelming to me. I guess that's just the way it is. Although I'm looking around the web at iPhone 4S sample shots and I guess they aren't that much better.

The scrolling issue still bugs me, though. My Arrive just KILLED the 900 when it came to scrolling through the start menu and the app list. I took Dave Blake's advice and tried to see if I could time my fingers to start at the bottom of each device's screen and scroll up so that my finger reached the top of each device's screen at the same time, but that didn't seem to make a difference. I usually just give the screen a really quick, violent flick with my thumb anyway so the travel shouldn't make a difference.

So: loved the screen, really warmed up to the build quality, was really impressed with the overall speed at which apps loaded, and was generally impressed with the Nokia apps. Camera still seems disappointing and the scrolling speed still bugs me.

And yet I plunked down $100 and pre-ordered a Cyan 900 after I was finished playing with it. Seeya, Sprint.
    Gaiking likes this.
    04-03-2012 08:55 PM
    So, update.
    The devices I used last week were so covered in grime and oil and grossness that I wasn't really able to appreciate the screen properly - the devices I played with today were very clean and the screens looked awesome.
    This is what I'm going to suggest as well. There have been times where the dirtiness of my face or whatever else has affected the ability of the screen from sensing my finger taps. Just throwing that out there as something else to keep in mind.

Edit:
    Okay so I looked up a YouTube vid from a PhoneDog review between the Focus S and the Lumia 710. The url I'm putting shows a moment where Sydney flicks the phone. On camera it does look like the Nokia acts a bit funky. Is that what everyone is talking about?

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...jRCKhPU#t=304s
    Last edited by blehblehbleh; 04-04-2012 at 05:01 AM.
    04-04-2012 04:47 AM
    Okay so I looked up a YouTube vid from a PhoneDog review between the Focus S and the Lumia 710. The url I'm putting shows a moment where Sydney flicks the phone. On camera it does look like the Nokia acts a bit funky. Is that what everyone is talking about?

Link: Samsung Focus S vs. Nokia Lumia 710 Dogfight Part 2 - YouTube
    I really don't think so, but I haven't actually played with a 710 to check. The scrolling looks fast on the 710 and any choppy-ness I just chalk up to the fact that it's on video. Once my pre-order arrives, I think I'm going to make a video with my Arrive and 900 side-by-side and we'll see if anything is noticeable.
    04-04-2012 09:29 AM
    A quick tech note

[NOTE]Definition of Face Grease

The slime that builds up on your phone screen usually caused by holding your phone to your face. It can also be caused by dirty fingers. Pocket lint can greatly increase the affect.[/NOTE]
    04-04-2012 09:40 AM
    2nd Gen devices scroll slower than first Gen. My focus was WAY snappier to scroll than my Focus S. You get used to it real fast and its no issue at all. I would not change my mind on the 900 because of this or i would have stayed with my Focus over my Focus S
    04-04-2012 10:02 AM
    Great point Dave. Finally someone using their brain housing group. :-) I saw the same thing when I went from using my Focus (4" display) to my Titan (4.7" display). The scrolling speed difference is Hugh. The Titan doesn't compare and it all has to do with the screen size. Yet theTitan is still very smooth.

So I wouldn't worry about the lumia's performance. It will be there.
    04-04-2012 01:41 PM
    So will the pre-orders ship to a store or to my home address? And if it is a store, will they call me?

Mine was order through my wife premier corporate account online. Not at the store.
    04-04-2012 02:58 PM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD