Lumia 900 Chip Chick review

PhilR8

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site
The Arrive takes okay/good pictures outdoors with great lighting and crappy pics indoors with poor lighting. Which is pretty much what we've seen out of the 900 so far.

Arrive outdoors:

1 2 3 4

Arrive Indoors:

1 2 3 4 5 6

Those images run the gamut from good to bad. Now let's look at some pictures from the ChipChick review:

900 outdoors:

1 2 3

900 indoors:

1 2 3 4

I look at these pictures and in my opinion, the 900 and the Arrive pictures look very similar.

I have the Arrive too, and every pic I've seen so far from the Lumia 900 is way better. The Arrive cam is just horrible, It was before HTC recently stepped their game up with the Titan. Anyway, Maybe it's just a firmware issue like the 800. People are forgetting these are rushed devices to the market but any issues I'm sure Nokia will address in a timely fashion

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
One of the reasons people were excited about Nokia going with WP was their camera pedigree. The N8 is still king of camera phones, yet their WP offerings are not competitive even with HTC that has been producing crap cameras for years and have only recently made an effort. Really should have had this sorted out of the gate, especially since the same issue affected the 800, because knowing at&t there wont be any updates to fix this for months.

jawesome

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
Anyone else NOT surprised that the camera isn't the best? There is way too much hype around "Carl Zeiss optics" especially when the cameras on other Lumia devices released haven't been great.

grossitch

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Anyone else NOT surprised that the camera isn't the best? There is way too much hype around "Carl Zeiss optics" especially when the cameras on other Lumia devices released haven't been great.

Yea, maybe "carl zeiss" optics is equivalent to "beats audio." All marketing jargon.

Is it me or do phone photos always look worse blown up on the computer? I hardly ever look at photos I take on my iPhone 4 anywhere else but on my phone.

PhilR8

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site
One of the reasons people were excited about Nokia going with WP was their camera pedigree. The N8 is still king of camera phones, yet their WP offerings are not competitive even with HTC that has been producing crap cameras for years and have only recently made an effort. Really should have had this sorted out of the gate, especially since the same issue affected the 800, because knowing at&t there wont be any updates to fix this for months.

This, a thousand times this. That's one of the reasons I was so excited when it was announced that Nokia would begin using the Windows Phone ecosystem. Instead, now I feel like a chump for falling for the marketing hype.

It is interesting to note, though, that during a recent WPCentral podcast, Jay Bennett mentioned that Nokia's cameras aren't seen as anything special. I don't have the exact podcast queued up but it was a month or so ago.

tbeagl

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Funny so many people are wuick to right the phone off when only 5 people has it and there hasn't been any credible reviews

ejb222

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Either way, the camera is an upgrade from my iPhone 3GS...no flash :( Plus $50 I paid for a new phone...it shouldn't even have a camera :p

albogadowm

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
I think the problem can be Summarized
1. All of these crappy photos were most likely shot without using autofocus. This phone is different in that it is a two step focus, half way down to focus, then all the way down to shoot.
2. The so caled reviews have mostly been done by amateurs
3. These are Carl Swiss optics....if there is a problem it will be and can be sorted with software.

Patience everyone, Im sure ww'll be fine :)

RiseAgainst94

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
The camera strip can easily be fixed with a cut out piece of screen protector. The camera looks bad in low light, but passable in well lit natural light situations. Nokia will continue to pump out updates for the camera (I promise) and hopefully it is a software rendering problem. For $50 everything else about this phone is incredible. Wish the battery was bigger though!

nokia4life

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
ohhhhhhhhweeeeee whats up wit that, whats up wit that, ohhhhhhhhhhweeeeee what up wit that........ this phone will be great i agree with the OP these folks are not taking the pictures correctly lets doooooo thiss.:lol:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diane Cunhm