Who is leaving apple or android? What have you used?

fonephool

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Had a variety, starting with the Treo 180, original iPhone, first day G1 on t-mobile. Various Blackberrys. Most recently a Droid X, died 1 year and 1 month into my Verizon contract. Tried a Titan, liked the OS but decided with the Titan 2 and Lumia 900 coming out to return it. Using a ZTE AT&T prepaid flip until tomorrow!

techygeek82

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
I came to the Windows Phone platform last year around the March timeframe. I will NEVER look back. I came from Android.

Even being the techy geek that I am, I got SO tired of flashing custom ROMs all the time on Android just to get things working or to just have the ability to uninstall crap-ware. In November I switched from Sprint (I wanted Windows Phone options) to AT&T and haven't, so far, regretted that decision. I think Nokia being 'all in' with Windows Phone will help the platform ultimately.

hubgoblin

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
leaving both had every single iPhone and had multiple androids, G1, Hero, Galaxy S, HTC Inspire 4G ,Galaxy S2, Nexus one , Nexus S , Galaxy Nexus im sure there are a few that i missed. Basically bored with iOS even though it works flawless and bored with android because it isnt flawless and still feels uncomplete

This is pretty funny, it's identical to my situation. I have had so many phones and my take on them is just about the same. I love iOS but I just...CAN'T stand looking at the same row of apps..apps...apps. I want to "live" with another OS for a while. I can't do Android again. ICS is a HUGE improvement over any previous iteration but there are still too many tradeoffs. Crashes, battery pulls, maybe you'll get an OS upgrade, maybe not. People who insisted that the Nexus would get every new OS are probably cursing Verizon right about now.

jd914

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Ive pretty much left Android back in November when I got my HTC Titan. I have no desire to go back. I find WP7 elegant and smooth as opposed to Android which at times clunky and not smooth. I still own a Motorola Atrix which I use now and then but it's no longer my daily driver. I'm waiting to see that Apple has in store this year as far as iPHone goes.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm leaving Android (MyTouch 4G) to get a Lumia 710. My boyfriend isn't using his Nook Color that's rooted, so I'll use the apps on there that I can't use with WP.

I've used all of the OS' that are out there:

Android- Has came a LONG way. It's unfair to say how laggy and inconsistent it is now with all the powerhouse machines out supporting it. It's developing and has a much better ecosystem and consistency across the devices. Since I'm not a huge tweaker, I'm not that invested in it and actually miss my People hub

iOS- Love love love the fact that iPhone has so many accessories made for it and it has a consistent experience, but I got tired of looking at those ugly sub menus and the sea of icons. I would recommend it over Android for app exclusivity (and yes you can change the look if you jailbreak it, but it's so hard to keep up with jailbreaking with Apple updating the software)

WebOS- Used the Palm Pixi on Sprint. I think it had a good start but the lack of apps and my horrible battery life (plus the constant freezing) took me away from it

Blackberry- Only used an 8530 for two months. It felt like I took a tumble back in time.

I think Windows Phone fits me the best because of the Social focus. I love that. Once they get more of the social game apps up to par (Draw Something, Words, Zynga period), I think I would stick to it being my sole device

kurosawa79

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I left Android at Gingerbread. I never got to the stage where I hated it. I just disliked constantly flashing new ROMs on it. My question for those of you that have used ICS: Is ICS good enough to reconsider trying it again?

Adiliyo

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
ICS is good, MUCH better than GB in terms of a more conscious effort put into the UX.

however, it's still a mishmash of design elements, very few phones have it officially right now (i think one can count all the official ICS phones on one hand) and the general fragmentation of hardware and software issues is still very present.

what really annoys me is the promise of a fluid UX is still not there, and we're four versions into android and all we get are promises that it will be fixed in the next version, first it would be fixed in froyo, then gingerbread, then ICS, and now jelleybean. personally i'm tired of all the half assed attempts by google to create something that actually has some heart and soul put into it.

and with the amount of complaints people have with all the OE skins (which are pretty terrible) all the manuf still insist on infecting android with all their extremely poorly coded (namely blur and touchwiz) skins and a metric crapload of carrier bloat which is still not very easy to remove (for the average user).

what i can say with certainty is my focus s out of the box ran circles around my galaxy nexus and galaxy note, both of which should have cleaned the floor with the "weaker" focus s' hardware, which leaves only the poorly optimized android to blame for the relative poor performance.

that being said, for phone type use, i'd use vanilla ICS over iOS in a heartbeat if i had to choose between the two.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
what really annoys me is the promise of a fluid UX is still not there, and we're four versions into android and all we get are promises that it will be fixed in the next version, first it would be fixed in froyo, then gingerbread, then ICS, and now jelleybean. personally i'm tired of all the half assed attempts by google to create something that actually has some heart and soul put into it.

I agree. With Android I always felt like it either wasn't finished, or sometimes that they didn't put any thought or effort into some of the things they did.

fisci

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
I agree. With Android I always felt like it either wasn't finished, or sometimes that they didn't put any thought or effort into some of the things they did.

it's funny you guys talk about android being incomplete.....

having fun not being able to change seperate volumes?

When wp7 actually becomes fully functional I'll consider coming back. Wayyyy too much missing as it stands right now.

fisci

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
also, adreno 205? really?

No wonder you guys have no games...

That gpu is old as **** already. I don't expect everything to have dual core, etc.. but cmon now. A flagship at that price shouldn't be using stuff that outdated.

albogadowm

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
Hopefully putting IOS in my rear view for good by 3pm today! So tired of the increasing sluggishness, crashes and slow 3G of my iPhone 4

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I've gone from the Nokia 5800 to the BlackBerry Curve 8520 to the BlackBerry Torch 9800 to the HTC Desire Z to the HTC TITAN (chuck two iPod Touch devices in there too to cover iOS). I'm not dropping my TITAN for the 900, but I am going to stay with WP7, in two years time I'll see what is available. Metro, more like Perfectro. Still a few niggles with the OS but it is mindbogglingly good in comparison to Android, iOS, and BBOS.

Fallen Cpt Jack

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I've had original Windows Mobile phones that I've loved and some I've hated (HTC Mogul anyone?), Palm Pre, Palm Centro, too many Android devices to count... but after the Nextel debacle, early loss of the iPhone, lack of WP devices, WiMax performance, slow LTE rollout, and now the huge iPhone buy in (which, in my area at least, has destroyed the 3G network speeds), I just couldn't deal with Sprint anymore. I bought a Focus Flash in January with the intention of giving it to my wife at the release of the 900 (on FedEx vehicle for delivery!), and have been very happy so far.

Gawain

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Where to start in no particular order...BlackBerry 8800, 9530, 9550, 9650, 9930. Palm Pre2 (twice). HTC ThunderBolt, Motorola Droid X, RAZR. HTC Trophy. iPhone 4 and 4S (current).

I really liked WP7 on the Trophy, but the failing was more hardware related, battery life. I miss LTE from the ThunderBolt and Sense, I miss BB quality email and messaging and I really miss the quality notifications of webOS...sigh...

If Verizon gets some high end WP7 gear this year (with 32GB+ of memory), I will definitely look at picking one up. I liked the overall performance of WP7, some issues I had were notifications, and the ultra-reliance on the cloud for its integration took some getting used to. The user experience is a wholesale departure from other platforms, but that's part of its appeal I think.

With AT&T's pricing of the Lumia at $99, that's going to offer quite an incentive to people who are wondering about spending $199, $249, $299, $399 for an Android or iOS device. It's a good recipe.

ItnStln

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
With AT&T's pricing of the Lumia at $99, that's going to offer quite an incentive to people who are wondering about spending $199, $249, $299, $399 for an Android or iOS device. It's a good recipe.

My problem with the price is that some people equate aower price with a "lesser" device. Which the Nokia Lumia 900 is NOT.

bobsentell

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
My problem with the price is that some people equate aower price with a "lesser" device. Which the Nokia Lumia 900 is NOT.

A lot of people have positive memories with Nokia devices. If anything the Lumia 900 shows you how much overpriced other phones are. My wife is not a techie by any means but she picked up my phone after learning it was a Nokia device and commented how cool it was.

ItnStln

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
A lot of people have positive memories with Nokia devices. If anything the Lumia 900 shows you how much overpriced other phones are. My wife is not a techie by any means but she picked up my phone after learning it was a Nokia device and commented how cool it was.

I never thought of that. My first three phones were Nokias, and I loved them. I even spent six months with the E71-2 between my BlackBerry Curve and Bold. Their build quality is second to none! If it wasn't for the Lumia series, I might have tried the N8. I'm now determined to purchase an international version of the Lumia 900 in cyan.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos