Who is leaving apple or android? What have you used?

thepickupbear

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
I've had every iteration of the iPhone, and several of each...I use OS X on my laptops and desktops at home, I have an iPad too - so obviously I have been deeply loyal to Apple in the years since I initially took to them. I was initially driven there over a frustration with Windows support and the awful clamshell phones of the time.

Cut to now, I added a Kindle Fire to my stable to get a taste of Android last fall, begin to open my self up to options. Come January when Nokia announced the Lumia at CES - I knew it was time to get WP a try.

I've still only used the OS a handful of times - but I've read and read and read and read and read about it since January, so I think I'm ready for the switch. I'm a little nervous about the Zune integration with iTunes, but I saw that there was just recently an update to that software - so I am hopeful. :)

diegosalinas

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
2007-2009 Used first three models of iPhone
2010 Switched to Nexus One
Nov 11 Galaxy Skyrocket

For the last week, been using a Focus Flash to try and get used to Mango. It's been a struggle breaking away from Android. And, apps in general.

I have found the primary apps I truly use in Marketplace. So, that's been OK.

My first phone back in the day was Nokia and I loved that dinosaur. So, hoping the Lumia 900 will allow me to finally connect with Windows Phone.

Leaving all the apps and customization behind has been odd but I am trying to program my brain to just need the basics of communication again. Albeit, wrapped in an easy to use pretty package called Windows Phone.

Funny how when faced with something easier to use, I am struggling. LOL

nyc_rock

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Using an unlocked GS2 and not ready to make the switch. Not for this device anyway. I'll be waiting for WP8 and the bump up in specs and capability. You dont normally see hardware become so outdated with a software update, but it sounds like this will be the case with higher res screens, expandable memory and support for faster processors all being supported in the near future.

krayziehustler

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Using an unlocked GS2 and not ready to make the switch. Not for this device anyway. I'll be waiting for WP8 and the bump up in specs and capability. You dont normally see hardware become so outdated with a software update, but it sounds like this will be the case with higher res screens, expandable memory and support for faster processors all being supported in the near future.

neither of those change the look,feel or functionality of the OS..The only thing being dual-core allowing 1080p.

If that is all that is down the pipeline then I'm all in for the 900...as I already am

kevinrstruck

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
From my memory, and I am sure I am forgetting a couple, but...

Nokia 239 (~1994)
Nokia 6190 (1997)
Nokia 6161 (1999)
Nokia 8260 (2000)
First Blackberry Type Device - Motorola Clamshell - sometime around 2000
Sanyo SCP-5300 (~2001)
Nokia - Forget model number (2002)
Several More Blackberry Devices (2002-2007)
Palm Treo (2007)
AT&T Tilt (2008)
HTC Touch (2008)
Samsung Captivate (2010)
HTC Inspire 4g (2011)

Also have an iPad 2 and wife has a iPhone 4S.

First Windows type device since 2007, so I am looking forward to it. I am a bit concerned about the apps that are available, but most I use seem to have a WinMo version or something similar.

I am sick of Android devices and trying to find ROMs that work well so. I do like iPhones but not enough to actually buy one yet, although I do find myself playing around with my wife's 4S sometimes. I do love the iPad though.

kregstrong

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Im dropping the galaxy nexus on verizon to try out the lumia. Tired of fighting the battery and constantly having to customize to fix things lol. And that phone has terrible signal all the time

sr!

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
My first smartphones were winMo 5.5 made by HTC but branded as CIngular I think it was 8250. then had a treo 650 or 7xx with winMo 6. then iPhone 3, and currently a super slow iPhone 3gs.
Now preordered black 900 at MS store. but will wait for the white version and compare before buying.

Tyresian

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I had tried my friends' and co-workers' Windows Mobile phones and really disliked them, I stayed on dumb phones for years, I wasn't big on texting and didn't want to move to AT&T so I wasn't going to go to a Smart Phone as iPhone was the only option back then. But then in 20(09?) I tried the HTC Droid Incredible and fell in love with that phone. Picked it up shortly after it was released which was more difficult than I would have thought because they were selling so fast.

Something about that phone that spoiled me was that the release models had an AMOLED screen. The screen was a Samsung and was the best screen on a smart phone at the time. Shortly after the release Samsung brought out it's new phones and stopped selling the screens to HTC (or some disagreement). The LCD replacement was terrible, and I saw this trend in other Android phones.

My love for the Incredible started to die after waiting forever for updates, in fact it was a full year after the 2.3 release that it came to my phone, which was the same week that I ordered an off-contract HTC Trophy from Ebay. I really didn't want to give up my AMOLED screen but really wanted to try WP7 because my co-workers were all using it (we're Microsoft developers). The Incredible also had issues after it's Froyo update that my texts would sometimes go to the wrong person. (When I pressed send I could actually see the contact in the contacts list CHANGE). Also constant crashes and restarts and hacks to try to make the phone work correctly...

I love WP7, unfortunately the Trophy is not my favorite phone, it is the same hardware as the outdated HTC Incredible but had a lower end screen and camera. The HTC Incredible had the BEST camera on a US Android Handset for its time, and I'm sure was better than any other US Carrier smart phone including the iPhone. I don't get how this didn't have more publicity but whatever, it is long past now. And seeing how it is long past I'm disappointed with cameras on phones yet today.

I have my Lumia 900 on pre-order, I am switching to AT&T and had the handset ordered at a price of $0. I really really can't wait. I do wish the resolution of the screen was higher (since I'm going to a bigger screen but same resolution) but atleast it is better screen techonology so I really can't wait to play with it and as long as you don't hold it right up to your face I'm sure that the screen will look beautiful. The other disappointment is the camera, it looks excellent in well lit situations but it's low-light is worse than expected. We will see how it fairs but it is looking worse in low light than my Incredible was. I guess there is nothing to do there as there isn't much competition.

I also have a feeling with WP7 that there is an issue with the camera software itself. It seems like none of the phones take very good pictures and I'd really expect the Focus S to be better than it is. The Focus S is an excellent phone, and if the Lumia hadn't been coming I would have probably switched to that in June when my Verizon contract is up. That being said, I'll be paying an early termination fee to switch to AT&T which I'm sure is their intent with the $100 off for new subscribers deal.

One last gripe which I have meantioned previously is the location of the charge and headphone port. I really do wish the charge port was on the bottom of the phone. It seems like with the speaker placement it should be on the top, but I fully understand why it is on the bottom, because most commonly people will put the phone down in front or to the side of them when using speaker phone. Again with the charge port on top, this phone is not dockable without some creativity or if the OS can rotate upside down in portrait, which would be acceptable. And I really think the Zune HD nailed having the headphone port on the bottom, it made the headphones wires less of a mess.

Picture of my car from my HTC Incredible:
picture.php

Last edited:

WinPhan7

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Congrats to each one of you for being open minded and finding out about the BRILLIANT Windows Phone OS that Microsoft has created!

Sent from WinPhan7.5! using Board Express

bimbojr1

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
the Lumia 900 will be my first WP7, the past has been:

Nokia 3310, Palm Treo, iPhone 1 to 4 and next the Lumia!!!!

I just got bored of iOS, great OS.. but I just want something new

kenosando#AC

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I have been a Symbian user since 2008, and a Nokia for 9 years. I have probably had one bad Nokia device out of the dozen or so I have had, and despite the naysayers who need HD screens, dual-core processors, and large internal storage, I have always done well with what I have had. My N8 is only 16 GB internal, although it has a micro SD card, which has the same 2 GB card I had on my E71. Symbian is my favorite mobile OS ever, but the fact it received no real attention from anyone other than Nokia harmed the ecosystem. Still a great OS, although I notice a lot of stutters and lock ups on my N8, newer hardware could solve that. Anyways, Windows Phone is my first non-Symbian smart phone (I have an iPad and my wife has an HTC Inspire, so I have tried the other OSes) and am really looking forward to my next great Nokia experience.

AndreaCristiano

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
I have been a Symbian user since 2008, and a Nokia for 9 years. I have probably had one bad Nokia device out of the dozen or so I have had, and despite the naysayers who need HD screens, dual-core processors, and large internal storage, I have always done well with what I have had. My N8 is only 16 GB internal, although it has a micro SD card, which has the same 2 GB card I had on my E71. Symbian is my favorite mobile OS ever, but the fact it received no real attention from anyone other than Nokia harmed the ecosystem. Still a great OS, although I notice a lot of stutters and lock ups on my N8, newer hardware could solve that. Anyways, Windows Phone is my first non-Symbian smart phone (I have an iPad and my wife has an HTC Inspire, so I have tried the other OSes) and am really looking forward to my next great Nokia experience.

I had an E71 totally forgot about that phone loved it!

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Had original iphone, iphone 3gs (lost), iphone 4. Left iphone 4 for samsung focus s and never looked back. Plan was to get the 900 all along after selling my focus s which i did...

Hopefully it comes in friday :)

raruhs

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm coming from Android and decided to give it a try to Windows. I have had a wide range of phone.. remembering my first phone was an Oki 900 back in 1994?? Then several motorolas (microTac, premier, starTac, v60c), samsungs, nokias (n1...) can't remember all models as some of there were when I was back in my country (Before 2006).

Then when I move here, I was looking for a good nokia and I could not find something near good.. so I went and I got samsung a727 or something like that.. After that I got an iphone.. then captivate... now waiting impatiently for my Lumia :) :)

Dalek Sec

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
First smartphone/pda
Palm Zire 72 ---> Dell Axim x30 ---> iphone ---> iphone 3g ---> Blackberry Torch ---> Galaxy S ---> HTC Surround ---> Focus ---> Titan ---> Nokia 900.

Also had an nook color and asus transformer at one point

I've used quite a few devices. Sold all the others on ebay except for the Titan... because I'm waiting on the Lumia.

drusand810

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I had an iPhone 3GS. I've wanted to move over the WP7 for awhile because a few things about iOS frustrated me. Overall, I think I just got very bored and frustrated with the grid of apps. I hated how many steps it took to do anything. I was introduced to WP7 at a mall kiosk right at launch when I was still under contract and thought it was really cool. I've kept tabs on it ever since. They gave me a free t-shirt that's been useful for lounging around the house, haha.

Eventually the mic in my iPhone broke (it was always a poor "phone" but this made it unbearable). I bought an HP Veer for $80 during the firesale to be a stopgap until the Nokia WPs became available here. It hasn't been the greatest experience but I'll be slightly sad to see it go as I move on to the 900.

I've basically been waiting to switch to WP7 for a little over a year. I don't expect it to be a perfect experience, but I think I'll enjoy it. The last few years, I've used my phones less for apps and it's become increasingly important to me to just have a solid phone. The Nokia name means something to me because the first phone I had was a Nokia 2000 series thing. It probably had better and more reliable call quality than my iPhone did (and I live in NYC).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)