Who is leaving apple or android? What have you used?

InfectedPhreak

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
A lot of people don't get the fact that iOS is purely for apps, that's what the phone is built for. There are probably way over 500,000 apps by now, and most of them are terrible and clutter the system but it's all about the numbers. Android is still in the stage of matching software and hardware, the issue that Apple solved a long time ago. Even in Steve Jobs speeches he talked about how no one could perfectly combine hardware and software, and Android is in that position. Android needs to be optimized, not hardware crazed. I guarantee Android would work much better on lower end specifications if the developers sat down and actually optimized better.

These phones are for personal use, it's what caters to the user. For me, I don't really care about playing games on my phone. That's why I have a PS3/360/PC. The social trends of playing Angry Birds, is not my cup of tea so I don't care about it. I also don't care about top apps like Pandora (it's mainstream terrible), and other "must have" apps. While others will care, and want these games/apps to be on the devices of their choice. Everyone cares about the "in" crowd. They all want to be followers, and be able to do what everyone around them does.

That's why most people get iPhone's, because more then likely most people have them. All of my local friends aside from a few, have iPhone's... I'm practically the only one left with an Android, and I'm trying to switch to WP. No one I know, even remotely cares about WP aside from me.

wasonamit

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
A lot of people don't get the fact that iOS is purely for apps, that's what the phone is built for. There are probably way over 500,000 apps by now, and most of them are terrible and clutter the system but it's all about the numbers. Android is still in the stage of matching software and hardware, the issue that Apple solved a long time ago. Even in Steve Jobs speeches he talked about how no one could perfectly combine hardware and software, and Android is in that position. Android needs to be optimized, not hardware crazed. I guarantee Android would work much better on lower end specifications if the developers sat down and actually optimized better.

These phones are for personal use, it's what caters to the user. For me, I don't really care about playing games on my phone. That's why I have a PS3/360/PC. The social trends of playing Angry Birds, is not my cup of tea so I don't care about it. I also don't care about top apps like Pandora (it's mainstream terrible), and other "must have" apps. While others will care, and want these games/apps to be on the devices of their choice. Everyone cares about the "in" crowd. They all want to be followers, and be able to do what everyone around them does.

That's why most people get iPhone's, because more then likely most people have them. All of my local friends aside from a few, have iPhone's... I'm practically the only one left with an Android, and I'm trying to switch to WP. No one I know, even remotely cares about WP aside from me.

I cannot agree more with your anatomy of the smartphone platforms....Kudos !!!!

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Just wanted to add that while people on here may not be bothered by not having the popular apps that are available for the competition doesn't mean everyone shares the same sentiments. Had my boyfriend not given up his rooted nook I would probably stay with my current mytouch device until WP app market was more up to date

sent from the MyTouch 4G

milk242

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
I left an iPhone 4S and GSM Galaxy Nexus. Both were great, UI is antiquated compared to WM7. Love the UI (small gripe with the tiles, too much of the same color) and I'm still on the fence on how they list all the applications. Also seems like WM7 marketplace has a lot less free apps but I appreciate the try button. Most likely I have finally found the phone and OS that will make me leave IOS.

On another note, I can't wait for Skype integration and I wish Apple would open up the FaceTime protocol (so I can FaceTime with my wife on her iphone).

ErikWithNoC

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I left an iPhone 4S and GSM Galaxy Nexus. Both were great, UI is antiquated compared to WM7. Love the UI (small gripe with the tiles, too much of the same color) and I'm still on the fence on how they list all the applications. Also seems like WM7 marketplace has a lot less free apps but I appreciate the try button. Most likely I have finally found the phone and OS that will make me leave IOS.

On another note, I can't wait for Skype integration and I wish Apple would open up the FaceTime protocol (so I can FaceTime with my wife on her iphone).

Tell your wife to download "Tango Video Calls" from the app store. That will allow you to video chat since Tango is preinstalled on the Lumia 900.

milk242

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
Tell your wife to download "Tango Video Calls" from the app store. That will allow you to video chat since Tango is preinstalled on the Lumia 900.

I've tried the app. Video quality is poor. I'm going to try the Skype beta app and see if it's any better. From my experience with Android and the Iphone, Skype video quality was also poor (compared to FaceTime). I'm hoping for the best.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Inability to control separate volumes

Not really a problem for me. I have an iPod Touch 4G that has that as an option. I use it. It's simple, and you know everything is all centralized. Integration you could call it. What WP7 is all about.

no forward button or option in the browser

You can have that one, it baffles me.

the multitasking almost always kicks apps back to the start (they reload almost every time)

Have you ever thought that might a problem to take to the app developers? I have many an app which tombstones properly. It works, if the app developer codes it in.

terrible notification system

Hardly, I like the notifications system. Also, the way the "Messaging" Hub works is beyond gorgeous. I love that shocked face when I have 4 or more messages. It really does give me that "WTF you waiting for?" feeling. The wink makes me think "Check me out" (as wrong as that sounds!)

inability to select custom tile colors (unless Dev unlocked which many phones haven't been yet)...

Really? I've found this to not be a problem for me. Even though I have had a developer unlocked device (I've got a developer account, I'm still trying to grasp Silverlight though). Current HTC TITAN is not developer unlocked btw, and has never been dev unlocked. My last one was.

There are much more and I can point you to a few good threads outlining them all if you like.

That being said there is a lot to like about the OS.just not enough to hold me over. I keep checking the forums for info on what Apollo or tango will have/fix.

I would definitely consider coming back if the OS ever fixes things, which I think may be a long time away.

I'm not turning away from this device. For a personal daily driver, this is perfect.

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
i know you don't want to get into that argument....coming from an Android ****** who Pre-ordered the G1 even when everyone was dismissing it....i had Android 1.0 all the way up to 2.4 and my list for gripes is WAAAYY longer than yours is for WP

You're not much of a ****** if you don't know there is no 2.4 version.
2.3.7-->4.0.1 for phones.

jbjtkbw007

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Some of this is out of order due to overlapping, but here's my Android/iOS history (mind you, I work in Telecom): OG Droid, Droid X, HTC Incredible, iPhone 3GS, MyTouch 4G, LG G2X, HTC Sensation, Sony Xperia Play, HTC Incredible 2, Droid 3, iPhone 4, currently the Droid Bionic and briefly, the Titan for a week.

As of Friday the 13th, add the Lumia to this Motley Crue.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I can't remember the name of the Sprint phones I used in 2003-2004 so I'll start with my AT&T days and up.

AT&T- Motorola Razr
T-Mobile- A nokia flip phone (don't remember the name but it had a button to push that flipped the phone open, thought it was neat); Motorola Sidekick Slide
Sprint- Palm Centro *loved this phone*; HTC Snap *loved this phone as well*; Palm Pixi; HTC Snap *back to*; Samsung Transform; Blackberry Curve 8530; HTC Snap *back to LOL*
Simple Mobile- iPhone 3GS *using one really stopped the "instant dislike"*; HTC HD7; MyTouch4G

Thinking of either joining with my partner and mother on AT&T and getting the new Nokia or sticking with Simple and getting the 710

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos