04-10-2012 12:21 AM
79 1234
tools
    Here's an example of how hardware limits your user experience--multitasking on WP7 pseudo-multitasking. There's no other way to describe it. It's so limited it's hardly worth calling it multitasking. Why is multitasking so limited? Because the hardware can't handle it.
    Funny, I'm having a convo over Kik with my phone off yet I'm still getting notifications of new messages. I guess if you want to have things running constantly in the background WP's implementation is not for you but it works.

And as a former owner of WM I think you know that multitasking is perfectly possible on the specs WP runs on today, but it was a conscious decision not to implement multitasking like it was in WM.

Its funny, the MT implementation is similar to on the iphone but only WP's is always called out as being "inferior". Wonder why.
    soulzero likes this.
    04-04-2012 06:00 PM
    And this is an amusing, yet fundamental difference you and most consumers (including me). I NEVER pay anything but the upgrade price for a phone. With 2 kids, one in daycare, a mortgage and two car payments, buying devices off contract for hundreds of dollars simply isn't possible. I suppose I could sell the old device to pay for the new, but that would still be an outlay of up to a couple hundred.

This is why the $99 price point of the Lumia is so appealing. People can afford it!
    I sold my galaxy nexus for 350 and im buying the lumia for 450 so im in the same boat as you. Next year if the Lumia 1000 arrives I will do the same. I never pay more than 200 for a phone. So in essence I get the 2 year price but I buy every year
    jbjtkbw007 likes this.
    04-04-2012 06:12 PM
    This is why the death of one-year contracts sucks so much. If you're going to be using a phone for two years, you want the very best hardware you can in the desperate hope it's not a bogged-down mess in two years. The Galaxy SII has been enormously successful, and a year later it's still amongst the best Android hardware out there, because it was a total monster when it came out. If you signed a two-year contract with a SGSII, you're probably pretty happy with your decision. If you signed a two-year contract with a lesser phone, you're probably regretting it.
    people regret their phone purchases no matter if its inferior or not because something better is always around the corner
    04-04-2012 06:13 PM
    Funny we speak about multitasking and specs who hear has owned a good galaxy nexus I have and I got it because it was a nexus and that big high res screen. Who here has noticed that that dualcore processor and GPU couldn't push the launcher at an acceptable framerate (ie no lag or stutters). Who hear has dealt with androids full multitasking and have an app run rampant in the background and drain your battery. Or dealt with apps slowing down the whole system while open or just running. Let's talk about future proofing who here has used the Motorola droid 3 its running an omap 4430 the ics reference chip buy who here has seen one running ics butter yet who has seen one not lagging just scrolling around the homescreen. Software is the key the specs should work with it and be optimized for it of not you deal with Android crap were you have high powered phones that are still slow
    soulzero likes this.
    04-04-2012 07:00 PM
    Funny we speak about multitasking and specs who hear has owned a good galaxy nexus I have and I got it because it was a nexus and that big high res screen. Who here has noticed that that dualcore processor and GPU couldn't push the launcher at an acceptable framerate (ie no lag or stutters). Who hear has dealt with androids full multitasking and have an app run rampant in the background and drain your battery. Or dealt with apps slowing down the whole system while open or just running. Let's talk about future proofing who here has used the Motorola droid 3 its running an omap 4430 the ics reference chip buy who here has seen one running ics butter yet who has seen one not lagging just scrolling around the homescreen. Software is the key the specs should work with it and be optimized for it of not you deal with Android crap were you have high powered phones that are still slow
    ME have a Gnex right now and since I returned it to stock for the resale to buy this Lumia its unbelievable all those issues
    04-04-2012 07:09 PM
    I've owned the HTC HD7S since it came out in June 2011. 1GHz now running Mango. When it came out running WP7, it seemed so fast, but with Mango, not as amazingly fast. It's still quite usable though. The Lumia 900 is noticeably faster (I have review unit). In fact, I just sold the HD7S today and will be buying my own Lumia 900 when it ships. Of course, I want the front camera and LTE, those were important features the OS didn't support with WP7. Personally I don't feel dual core CPUs and microSD card slots are nearly as important to the everyday user, and if they're added in later Windows Phones it won't be nearly as important beyond marketing hype.

But then, I wrong a detailed review saying the Lumia 900 is extremely fast and smooth, and it shouldn't really matter if the phone has 1 or 7 cores ;) Phone reviews sometimes go the way of computer reviews-- too specs focused. Smartphones are (or should be) more about the experience delivered and the joy of use. They're entirely more personal as devices and more streamlined toward quick, expedient use (or should be!) compared to PCs.

MobileTechReview Nokia Lumia 900 Review

Can anyone using a 1st Gen wp7 phone chime in? I don't see why the specs matter at all in this environment. Its is very controlled and designed to work excellently with the specs provided. So where's the problem?
    04-04-2012 10:06 PM
    And another core like the Tegra 3 provides couldn't solve that problem? ;)
    How does that solve the problem? Leaving tasks running in the background drains the battery. The point of multicore processors is to get work done faster so it can go back to be idle, because when it's idling, it uses less power.
    04-05-2012 04:56 PM
    Can anyone using a 1st Gen wp7 phone chime in? I don't see why the specs matter at all in this environment. Its is very controlled and designed to work excellently with the specs provided. So where's the problem?

I used android for a long time and I will say they no matter what specs you threw at it it eventually turned to a unstable affair. They keep ramping up the specs and the software stays the same. But it still finds ways to feel like you are not giving the OS enough juice.

Even with iOS, they continue to forcefully make the older hardware obsolete on purpose. A jail broken 3g was capable of doing many things that is wasn't "powerful" enough to do. If MS stays on the path of a streamlined OS I think that hardware makes no difference. I can lower up my device in about 20 seconds compared the the 1.5 minutes it takes my friends Galaxy Nexus. Where are the break neck speeds there?

I think MS and the OEMs should do what Apple originally did with the iPhone, keep the specs to themselves. Back then nobody cared. They just loved that everything worked great. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express
    I have an HD7. It runs faster with Mango. It never has any problems handling what I throw at it.
    04-05-2012 05:37 PM
    Because Words with Friends, Pandora and Angry Birds Space need dual core processors...

Aren't those the main apps people refer to when they compare the Windows Marketplace with Android and iOS?

What exactly does a faster processor or additional cores do for an end user in real world situations? It will take me 1.2 seconds to open email instead of 1.6 seconds? We are talking the difference of a few seconds between faster hardware and these so called "behind the times" devices...

I am migrating from the original Droid Incredible. By today's standards and the way people talk about hardware specs, it must take me hours to accomplish ANYTHING on my antique phone. My phone is completely useable and works just fine for everything I need it to do. I am sure I will see an improvement moving to slightly better hardware, but will I be blown away? Probably not.

Performance is relative. It really depends on what you are upgrading from.
    threed61 likes this.
    04-05-2012 06:07 PM
    Actually NO. The multi tasking limitations are software due to battery drain thats why pre mango it was only 5 apps now with mango its up to 8. So try again!

PS Rumour That Makes Sense: Subset of Apollo Coming To All Windows Phones | The Handheld Blog
    I think you mean Tango not Mango? But it's not up to 8 anyway. There were headlines that this was true based on a Tango ROM that was released but the ROM cooker made that tweak himself.
    04-05-2012 06:25 PM
    Spec wise you didnt exactly take step backward though, right? The Gnex has a better screen, faster processor and better camera module (though less MP). And the GS2 is a great device for defining future proof. Even today is one of the best Android devices on the market.

You know that WP is going to release Appolo sooner rather than later. You know its going to support high res screens, multicore processors and expandable memory. You know that developers will produce games specifically designed to utilize the two cores and the better resolution. So you know that the 900 may be holding you back from experiencing the best that WP has to offer within 6 months. Its fine if that doesnt matter to you, but the Nokia would not fit the definition of future proof. Im not saying its not a great phone or that you shouldnt buy it. Im also not saying that Nokia could have done much different. Im just saying its always better to have better hardware.
    Speaking of the SGS2... 800x480 is the resolution on THAT 4.3" screen and nobody *****es. They just hand over their money.
    threed61 and alpinestars1z like this.
    04-05-2012 06:33 PM
    Speaking of the SGS2... 800x480 is the resolution on THAT 4.3" screen and nobody *****es. They just hand over their money.
    In droves I would like to add
    04-05-2012 07:30 PM
    What can dual-core do for you: a course refresher what the A5 chip will bring to the Apple iPhone 4S

From the article...

"We'd rather point out that in this very moment you can get as much slick user interface and apps, high-definition video recording, and fast browsing from a WP7 handset, for example, with its two-year old single core 65nm processor, as from the first dual-core phones, whose chipsets are produced with the 45nm ARM Cortex-A9 design.

The typical user wouldn’t even notice that their brand new WP7 phone is sporting 2009 tech, since the platform is optimized for this exact CPU, and because of that, it runs faster and smoother than even some Android overlays powered by two Cortex-A9 cores. Not to mention how oily iOS and adjacent apps move on the iPhone 4, for instance, whose silicon is circa 2010."
    AndreaCristiano likes this.
    04-05-2012 07:46 PM
    I said this months ago. And unfortunately, with the vast amount of Android devices out there for these tech blogs to review, they sort of carry over that mindset to other operating systems and forget that other devices have systems optimized to function GREAT daily on lower specs. But oh well
    04-06-2012 04:07 AM
    The tech industries greatest marketing tool is consumer ignorance...
    theefman and AndreaCristiano like this.
    04-06-2012 11:20 AM
    Yeah, but it came out over a year ago.
    04-06-2012 12:02 PM
    Yeah, but it came out over a year ago.
    Lol, yep. I was waiting for someone to say it. The SGSIII will probably have a 1280x720 SAMOLED screen.
    04-06-2012 12:07 PM
    Yawn, any competent person knows that paying the same amount for a WP7 device over an Android device is just dumb. From a cost standpoint. The user experience is another thing.

Nokia played it right by lowering the price.

Sent from my Galaxy S II
    04-06-2012 12:31 PM
    I agree on some level--my Android phone crushes the Lumia in terms of specs, but perhaps not in terms of usability. And 4 cores just drains battery. Got it. Agreed. But there's a difference between Android's hard-on for bleeding-edge specs, and specs that come close to matching what's on the market, providing some measure of future-proofness.

HTC Rezound is 49 bucks at Verizon right now. 1280*720 screen, excellent camera, dual-core processor. Android phone prices drop fast.
    I had the Rezound at one point - the screen was nice, but the phone itself felt cheap, and it was shaped like a brick. Camera was OK, but images captured with it were nothing better than average. Was happy to sell that phone. Honestly, I felt it was a pretty poorly designed phone, with awful battery life.

I do like all three mobile operating systems, and have had phones from all three: iPhone 4, Galaxy Nexus, HTC Rezound, Droid X. My previous favorite was the Galaxy Nexus, but I am really enjoying my new Lumia 900. Nokia has created a phone design that looks great and feels good to hold. It doesn't feel cheap like all of the Android phones to date have. The screen doesn't have the the higher resolution of the Nexus, but it's still really nice. The 900 is responsive, and the UI is excellent, especially the live tiles. Android widgets are OK, but half the time, they don't work like they should.

The problem I have with Android, is that the phones are buggy, and seem to require regular reboots, battery pulls, and phone resets. The Galaxy Nexus is a nice phone in theory, but in practice, it has had significant flaws from day 1. ICS is buggy, and the Galaxy Nexus itself has problems maintaining a good signal. Hardware reliability is also questionable. I personally have had three replacement Galaxy Nexus phones to this point - my current one seems OK, but I worry that it too will fail at some point. The first Nexus couldn't keep a 4G signal for more than a couple of minutes, then would have no signal until a reboot. The second Nexus had a bad power button. The third one simply died, and wouldn't turn on.

The iPhone is a more reliable phone, and is better built than most Android phones. However, iOS is missing some basic modern functionality that exists on the Android and Windows Phone platforms today, and the screen, while beautiful, is still rather small compared to the competition. Mango 7.5 is the best of both OS worlds, but I wasn't a fan of the OEM phone designs prior to the Lumia 900. And so far, in two days of usage (which granted, is a small sample size), I like how the phone is performing. The OS is nice and responsive, the hardware is beautifully designed, and Live Tiles are great. On the negative side of things, the Nokia applications are really nice, but the application selection from the Marketplace isn't great. However, I think Microsoft and third-party developers are going to rectify that in short order, so it's not something I'm particularly worried about, especially as the core applications that I use regularly are there.
    04-07-2012 10:42 AM
    no wonder wp7 producing companies love you guys....

"Let's by some bargain bin processors/gpus and sell them for the same price as phones with legit specs"

The adreno 205 is old as ****, and although you might not notice it in the ui, this is a huge part of why there are no good games on the wp7 platform. Just wait till you try and play a graphically intensive game (if any ever come out that is...). You'll see why it is good to buy a phone with current specs.

I love the "oh well it isn't necessary" argument. You're letting companies screw you by selling you super outdated technology for a premium fee.

In a year when your phone lags in games, you'll understand.

Also the bs about android on here is hilarious. I own an sgs2, and I never have force closes, need to reboot or anything...

ICS is smooth as silk.
    04-07-2012 03:03 PM
    I had the Rezound at one point - the screen was nice, but the phone itself felt cheap, and it was shaped like a brick. Camera was OK, but images captured with it were nothing better than average. Was happy to sell that phone. Honestly, I felt it was a pretty poorly designed phone, with awful battery life.
    Agreed on cheap feeling and brickish, but lol wut on the camera? The camera is outstanding.
    04-07-2012 03:17 PM
    We really do need a "Don't Like" button. ;)
    04-07-2012 03:39 PM
    Your argument would make sense if the iPhone didn't provide a massive spec bump over the Lumia, because it's so heavily optimized. But it does. The iPhone has a beast of a processor and GPU, and the Lumia has, well, specs awfully similar to the HTC HD2. First released in 2009. Specs matter. Maybe not as much as we think, but even the heavily optimized iPhone is leaving the Lumia behind, and it's been out for a while.
    Its funny that when someone compares an IPhone with an 900, they say specs matter, even though the 900 is just as smooth (games notwitstanding). Yet, those same people if there were given to choose between a high-speced Windows PC and Mac at the same price, they would choose the Mac. Make up your mind.. does specs matter, or the overall smoothness of the experience.
    04-08-2012 12:43 AM
    Its funny that when someone compares an IPhone with an 900, they say specs matter, even though the 900 is just as smooth (games notwitstanding). Yet, those same people if there were given to choose between a high-speced Windows PC and Mac at the same price, they would choose the Mac. Make up your mind.. does specs matter, or the overall smoothness of the experience.
    stupid comparison....

new macs still have a decent cpu and graphics processor (**** many are quad core)

It isn't using a super old cpu/gpu.

Specs definitely matter. They might not be the be all end all but when paying premium price, you shouldn't get getting 2-3 year old components.
    04-08-2012 01:29 AM
    stupid comparison....

new macs still have a decent cpu and graphics processor (**** many are quad core)

It isn't using a super old cpu/gpu.

Specs definitely matter. They might not be the be all end all but when paying premium price, you shouldn't get getting 2-3 year old components.
    Definitely stupid comparison. Now that OS X runs on Intel, hardware is hardware, and you'd best believe OS X runs better with the 8 gigs of RAM I have in my Macbook now as opposed to the 2 gigs before.

The profit margins on WPhones must be insane. The APQ8055 SOC was released Q2 2010.
    Last edited by tekhna; 04-08-2012 at 01:52 AM.
    04-08-2012 01:43 AM
79 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD