How to successfully migrate from one WP7 device to another

Oldmajor

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I preordered a black lumia 900 on AT&T to replace my HTC Arrive and 10+ years with Sprint. How do I go about reinstalling all of my old apps to the new phone? Will Zune automatically do this?

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
I believe you can do it through windowsphone.com

There is also a reinstaller app called reinstaller which links to windowsphone.com and you can do it that way.

JPDVM2014

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately, the apps will not automatically download. This is one of my few gripes. On the other hand, it is a quick way to unclutter your apps, and only get the ones that actually get used. I just wait and download apps when I go to use them and realize they aren't there. Lol.

bellyer1

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Upgrading WP and Zune Pass?

What I am wondering is if my Zune Pass will treat my new Lumia 900 as a different device than my Samsung Focus. Since you can only add a new device for access to your Zune Pass every 30 days and my wife and I both ordered Lumia 900s, she is of course going to want her phone added first. I feel like upgrading from my old Focus to my new Lumia 900 should not be treated like removing one device and adding a new one, especially if I name the phones the same thing and use the same SIM.

Does anyone have experience with upgrading to a new WP device and using Zune Pass? Does it treat it like you are adding a new device to the Zune Pass account?

Adiliyo

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
What I am wondering is if my Zune Pass will treat my new Lumia 900 as a different device than my Samsung Focus. Since you can only add a new device for access to your Zune Pass every 30 days and my wife and I both ordered Lumia 900s, she is of course going to want her phone added first. I feel like upgrading from my old Focus to my new Lumia 900 should not be treated like removing one device and adding a new one, especially if I name the phones the same thing and use the same SIM.

Does anyone have experience with upgrading to a new WP device and using Zune Pass? Does it treat it like you are adding a new device to the Zune Pass account?

it will treat it as a new device, but i thought the limitation was for deleting devices every 30 days.

you can have 3 (iirc) devices linked to the zune pass, so if you only had one windows phone before, you should be fine.

msft needs to figure out a way for families/spouses/SO's to better share zune passes, as it's kind of a mess right now.

either that or offer a deal like the xbox live family packs.

the reinstaller app is also probably the easiest way to get all your old apps over, but i also agree that JPDVM2014's method of decluttering and downloading apps when you realize you need them is also nice. :)

what i do wish though was for a section in the marketplace that shows apps you've purchased so i'm not playing the guessing game of redownloading or buying an app.

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
This is unfortunate to hear. I falsely assumed that it worked similar to webOS where you login with your Windows Live account and all apps, settings, accounts were transferred over. I hope WP8 makes this process a little more seamless.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
For Zune Pass the number is actually 4 devices ( a combination of computers, Zune players or Windows phones). You can swap out a computer/device every 30 days. But that is not an issue till you reach 4 devices. I guess XBox does not count as a device although I do stream music to it, and it is not listed as one of my devices.

Btw, up to 5 phones that use the same Live ID can download apps from Marketplace. Same 30 day waiting period after you reach the max.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro