I am patiently waiting for the arrival of my 900, so in the mean time I was wondering how switching between two devices works. I had done this a million times before with BlackBerry and it became second nature. This will be my first time doing it on WP7. So, how does it work? Will everything just move itself over after I sign in with my Live ID on the new device? Or will I have to make the move through the Zune software?
    04-04-2012 04:13 PM
    Beats me. I just spent $450 and I've never even touched Windows Phone 7. Though, I'm a fan of not trying to restore data and settings from one device to another as I've seen it cause all sorts of issues. On other devices I've used anyway (iOS, Blackberry, Palm, WinMo). You're better off starting off from a clean slate. But that's just my opinion.
    04-04-2012 05:54 PM
    Signing in with your Live ID will bring your email, contacs and calendar to your new 900. If you currently have a WP things like Skydrive will be configured the same as on your old device, pictures on your PC in Zune will have to be moved over manually but thats as simple as right clicking the folder in Zune and saying Sync with my 900.

Apps and games however for the most part wont transfer their settings or saves unless the dev has setup Skydrive backup. You will have to reinstall but NOT repurchase your old programs, either using the windowsphone.com site or the Reinstaller app from the MP.
    04-04-2012 06:06 PM
    Perfect, that's exactly what I hoping for. Thanks!
    04-05-2012 01:14 PM
    Nokia has an app called 'Contacts Transfer' that will present you a wizard on transferring contacts from your old phone (which I believe requires Bluetooth) and your Lumia 900.
    thepickupbear likes this.
    04-05-2012 01:17 PM
    Cool, I was wondering about contacts because I choose not to currently sync contacts with my iTunes from my iPhone. Music I figured I'd get a clean fresh start using Zune to integrate with iPhone.

I'll have to check out what I can do in Skydrive with my Windows Live ID now before I have the phone too.
    04-05-2012 02:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD