Regret Pre-Order

AndreaCristiano

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Majority of the reviews say this is the best Windows Phone available. Still WP is not for everyone.

This is why I'm giving this phone a clean slate. I read the reviews but I will interact with it and windows phone for 29 days without prejudice. If either the phone or windows phone doesn't do it for me then I will exchange it. If they do what's needed in an efficient and fresh manner than they stay

kregstrong

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm swapping a Verizon galaxy nexus for a lumia, gonna go to at&t for a bit, should I be worried about this swap? Lol

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

hubgoblin

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
LIsten, I get where you're coming from. You have to remember something though: these reviewers are reviewing the device on a curve they've invented: "How much like Android and iOS is it?" Thats not to say some of the complaints aren't founded, but honestly most of them seem like they weren't reviewing the device so much as pining for it to do things in a way they prefer.

This is the premiere Windows phone device. So you're either into the platform or you're not. Don't worry about terms like "future proofing" or cores or HD screens. Future proofing is a joke with Android, for instance, because most of those phones get very little support post-launch, let alone upgrades to the latest OS. iPhone is much better in that regard but honestly, at this point, you pretty much know if you're an iPhone person or not (I don't mean that negatively, I just mean it's a very known, stable, and polished OS. No surprises with it, you know exactly what you're getting so either that works or it doesn't.)

Mostly the problem with tech reviewers is they've been trained by Android vendors to expect sometihng NEWER BIGGER FASTER GREATER HDer every other week. I've read tech blogs for years and it's gotten pretty bad.

This is a badass phone. IT's just a question whether you want Windows or not, but if not I assure you it won't be because the phone is lacking some spec.

vizagdude

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
I think all of us hoping this would boost the market share of WP7 will be disappointed as well. I've visited various forums (both phone, and unrelated) and the general consensus is that it's just a mediocre phone.

Here is what I can tell you, from what I've seen, Nokia Lumia 900 is by far the best Windows Phone. It has great design, Nice camera, Nokia exclusive apps, Black Amoled screen, LTE capable and it's $99 or $49 or $0.1 or $0.00 after MIR, depending on how, where and when (your contract period) you are getting it. Combination of all these facts makes this the best Windows Phone that is out there in the market.

Now if you were waiting to move to WP from another device, you might want to think twice depending on the device you are currently using. If you are using an iPhone 4S, it's got one of the best screens and camera for any smart phone and has more storage options like 8/16/32/64 GB. If you are coming from a Galaxy Nexus or HTC similar devices, then they have the largest screens along with other HW related stuff like quad core or 1GB RAM, and removable storage card, etc. I will NOT compare the Apps because if you are counting the number of Apps, you should not even think about WP. But if you are looking at the ones you are currently using on a regular basis... most of them are already available and the other will be added soon.

With this in mind, I would suggest you make your decision. With electronics, the moment you get them, they are already outdated.

As far as the OS is concerned, you will always be able to upgrade to Apollo or Windows Phone 8 or whatever. But then I've not used a device beyond 6 months to an year. But that's me.

Every platform has it's own advantages and disadvantages. It really goes down to... WHAT WORKS FOR YOU.

catkeepr

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
As a rule I don't usually pre order. I take tech blog reviews with a grain of salt. I usually wait for a device to come out and check the user reviews before deciding.

I find the user reviews to be more indicative of real world use than those of the tech blog geeks who tend to be a bit anal over details the typical user doesn't concern themselves with.

Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express

Darth Lumia

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm swapping a Verizon galaxy nexus for a lumia, gonna go to at&t for a bit, should I be worried about this swap? Lol

I did the switch to ATT two weeks ago and so far it has been ok. I gave up my Nexus and unlimited data for a Nokia because i know that I won't be disappointed. I could care less about what other people have to say about the Lumia, i love windows phone 7 and I got tired of waiting for Verizon to get their act together...

kregstrong

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I did the switch to ATT two weeks ago and so far it has been ok. I gave up my Nexus and unlimited data for a Nokia because i know that I won't be disappointed. I could care less about what other people have to say about the Lumia, i love windows phone 7 and I got tired of waiting for Verizon to get their act together...

Yea man I'm right there with u. I will keep my Verizon phone since I'm on our business plan and use the lumia til Verizon gets one. That's the plan anyways.

WayCool

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Most reviews have been positive, except for the fact that there are "only" 70,000 apps in the Marketplace. WTF does that have to do with the Lumia 900. Nokia is probably responsible for all unrest in the world too.

And the whole camera spec/performance thing. In three years I have taken maybe 500-700 photos with my phone and have printed exactly 2; 8 x 10 to be precise. And the both came out excellent. Almost all of the pictures I take, and view, on my phone look good, except when I shake. If you are a photographer, please spend your money on a "real" camera and stop *****ing. About 38 hours to go (or sooner) before I am holding my Lumia 900.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express
@jimski... wish I could like.. times 10 !!!!

If I want a GREAT photo... I'll use an EOS 1D MK III with an L lens... Just saying .. seriously people.. your whining about absolutely NOTHING !

I dunno.. I do know this.. Topolsky is an IDIOT. WTF? USELESS review... Obviously he is clueless... Good gosh...

kltye

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
I had preordered, then I cancelled it until I could see the phone. I went to see the phone today. I was greatly disappointed in the physical structure. Why on earth would a manufacturer put a glass screen at least 2 mm above the bezel? Poor design. I am glad I cancelled, I am out! I will look at the Titan 2 next week.

The bezel looks exactly the same as my Titan, which looks pretty much like the Titan II. I've dropped my Titan on the road twice, and the screen is in perfect condition (the back cover has a couple of small dings on it). All I have to say is, the raised bezel helps the screen. If you're not getting a phone because of that, that's your choice, but I'd hardly call it a poor design.

nokia4life

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
i pre ordered off contract and staying with it folks need to remember android when it started did not have all of the apps it has that took some years of growing i wish folks would stop it with the blogs comparing ecosystems windowsphone is newer and has to grow and doing a decent job this is their first offering of a flagship device from nokia i can only imagine whats to come next from nokia when its next flagship for att , tmob, sprint, and even suck face droid loving verizon nokia makes quality products beats the other twins any day and yes i said twins as htc, samsung, lg, huwawa, pantech, all look like bigger slabs of slab its crazy generic boring design nokia changes the game just like apple did.. if we stop letting blog geeks decide for us i would think more folks would be on wp7 by now but the topolosky's and turds crew try to influence the weak with oh 500,000 apps vs 70,000 i remember when android was at 70,000 give it a chance go game changer (rick flair voice) woooooooooooooooooo!!!!

invisik

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
You can see one in person at any AT&T store now. If they are not on display, ask to see one as an employee or two will have them. Decide for yourself that way.

I do agree the reviews are a bit misleading as Windows Phone 7 doesn't need the resources to be fast and responsive that other phone types do.

-m

peestandingup

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Really the only negative review is from verge, even gizmodo said its a 'phone every person should own'
Nokia Lumia 900 Review: This Might Save Windows Phone (Updated)

Its not as much a negative review as it is not a glowing review. Its a 7, so thats not bad.

Anyways, everyone's jumping on The Verge when indeed there's many other similar reviews.

Review of Lumia 900: It's Big, It's Blue, It's Windows, but Can It Beat Rival Phones? - WSJ.com

Nokia Lumia 900 Review - Business Insider

So there's a lot of damage control coming from these forums when its prob not even necessary since most the reviews are positive. Yes, there's flaws & we all know that. Yes, the ecosystem could/should be better. But there's also great things about the phone.

My advice is for no one to preorder & take some time with the phone once they get them in the stores to play with & make up your own mind on what's acceptable & what's not. No sense in paying money outta pocket & having to pay restocking fees just to get it a few days early if you think there's a chance you might return the phone.

eastbayrae

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
Massive difference in price of the phones they are comparing. Most of you will pay $99 or nothing for the 900 vs. $200+ for an iPhone, etc. It was no different than reviewers comparing the kindle fire to an $400 iPad.

Last edited:

AndreaCristiano

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
As a rule I don't usually pre order. I take tech blog reviews with a grain of salt. I usually wait for a device to come out and check the user reviews before deciding.

I find the user reviews to be more indicative of real world use than those of the tech blog geeks who tend to be a bit anal over details the typical user doesn't concern themselves with.

Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express

Bold is so true!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs