04-05-2012 07:07 AM
34 12
tools
    Anyone else regret pre-ordering the phone? With all of the negative reviews, I'm wondering if I should have just waited for Apollo.

I think all of us hoping this would boost the market share of WP7 will be disappointed as well. I've visited various forums (both phone, and unrelated) and the general consensus is that it's just a mediocre phone.
    04-04-2012 05:57 PM
    You have 30 days to return the phone.
    Test it yourself and see if you like it.
    Your opinion is the only one that matters in the end.
    jbjtkbw007 and steve70 like this.
    04-04-2012 06:04 PM
    30-days to perhaps return the phone, but you aren't getting out of a contract with AT&T as far as I know.
    04-04-2012 06:05 PM
    You'd be able to then get a phone from AT&T that you like more, or find better or whatever you would like to say.
    04-04-2012 06:08 PM
    You can always sackride iphone/android if you like reviews so much.
    04-04-2012 06:11 PM
    You can always sackride iphone/android if you like reviews so much.
    Well, reviews review the phone, so that's my only source of knowing whether or not the phone will be good. I haven't seen a single glowing review of it. The general consensus is just "blah".
    04-04-2012 06:19 PM
    I had preordered, then I cancelled it until I could see the phone. I went to see the phone today. I was greatly disappointed in the physical structure. Why on earth would a manufacturer put a glass screen at least 2 mm above the bezel? Poor design. I am glad I cancelled, I am out! I will look at the Titan 2 next week.
    04-04-2012 06:20 PM
    You do get out of contract. I did when I had a Titan and returned it.
    04-04-2012 06:24 PM
    Well, reviews review the phone, so that's my only source of knowing whether or not the phone will be good. I haven't seen a single glowing review of it. The general consensus is just "blah".
    My only question mark is camera quality. I'm well aware of all the other issues... poor ppi, app ecosystem, etc.
    04-04-2012 06:28 PM
    Most of the negatives or blahness was the ecosystem and how the OS isnt like iOS or Android.

So if you have used Mango before, OS shouldn't be an issue since there was no announcement of a huge update coming to any existing phones or new phones. So the OS basically is the same with some fixes.

Now that leaves you with the hardware, specs, and camera. Most of the reviews i read had a positive opinion about the hardware and design. The camera on the other hand is kind of mixed so perhaps you are not liking the opinions on the camera? Finally, the specs are dated and this was nothing new. We all knew what the specs were going to be for months now so that should not be a surprise. So you are regretting your pre-order based on a review that pretty much explains what we already knew for months now. What exactly are you surprised about and what exactly are you regretting?
    04-04-2012 06:29 PM
    Really the only negative review is from verge, even gizmodo said its a 'phone every person should own'
    http://gizmodo.com/5898783/nokia-lum...-windows-phone
    04-04-2012 06:32 PM
    What was the bad about expect lack of apps and that the camera is just average (at the lumia 800 is a setting thing that you can fix by yourself, and lumia 900 has the same camera).
    04-04-2012 06:34 PM
    Really the only negative review is from verge, even gizmodo said its a 'phone every person should own'
    Nokia Lumia 900 Review: This Might Save Windows Phone (Updated)
    technobuffallo and Cnet also positive reviews
    04-04-2012 06:47 PM
    The reviews are actually very positive. Techno Bufallo has the best one.
    04-04-2012 07:06 PM
    Most reviews have been positive, except for the fact that there are "only" 70,000 apps in the Marketplace. WTF does that have to do with the Lumia 900. Nokia is probably responsible for all unrest in the world too.

And the whole camera spec/performance thing. In three years I have taken maybe 500-700 photos with my phone and have printed exactly 2; 8 x 10 to be precise. And the both came out excellent. Almost all of the pictures I take, and view, on my phone look good, except when I shake. If you are a photographer, please spend your money on a "real" camera and stop *****ing. About 38 hours to go (or sooner) before I am holding my Lumia 900.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express
    WayCool likes this.
    04-04-2012 07:14 PM
    04-04-2012 07:20 PM
    Anyone else regret pre-ordering the phone? With all of the negative reviews, I'm wondering if I should have just waited for Apollo.

I think all of us hoping this would boost the market share of WP7 will be disappointed as well. I've visited various forums (both phone, and unrelated) and the general consensus is that it's just a mediocre phone.
    There has only been one bad review that I read and I firmly believe they had a motive.
    04-04-2012 07:29 PM
    Huh, all of the post-review concerns are strange to me. I'm not active in the WP world, so I've not been up to date on the news. And yet, I feel like every complaint made about the 900 was something I was already aware of when I pre-ordered. ****, I even pre-ordered off contract so I can save my upgrade for either the next iPhone or, hopefully, a killer Nokia Apollo phone.

That's my long way of saying - nope, no regrets here. I knew going in the phone was bulky, with a low-res screen, last year's internals, and a below par marketplace. I'm cool with all that! The phone, as a total package that's greater than the sum of it's parts, just makes me want it!
    04-04-2012 07:41 PM
    "All the negative reviews" mainly is centered around the Windows Phone OS itself, not the actual device, although WP isn't for everyone so you can't expect glowing reviews from 100% of people. Everything that is quote-unquote "wrong" with WP7 and its ecosystem is what I find appealing - the lack of apps (I am a developer), the layout of the apps/tiles (better than rows of icons, see that enough on Windows desktop) and so on. I don't think WP7 is perfect for even me, but I have used iOS and Android enough to know I am not keen on what the general UX entails. A 15 months ago, I hated WP because of all the issues it had. Now, I think it is maturing quite nicely.
    04-04-2012 07:46 PM
    Majority of the reviews say this is the best Windows Phone available. Still WP is not for everyone.
    04-04-2012 08:24 PM
    Majority of the reviews say this is the best Windows Phone available. Still WP is not for everyone.
    This is why I'm giving this phone a clean slate. I read the reviews but I will interact with it and windows phone for 29 days without prejudice. If either the phone or windows phone doesn't do it for me then I will exchange it. If they do what's needed in an efficient and fresh manner than they stay
    04-04-2012 08:31 PM
    I'm swapping a Verizon galaxy nexus for a lumia, gonna go to at&t for a bit, should I be worried about this swap? Lol

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    04-04-2012 08:32 PM
    LIsten, I get where you're coming from. You have to remember something though: these reviewers are reviewing the device on a curve they've invented: "How much like Android and iOS is it?" Thats not to say some of the complaints aren't founded, but honestly most of them seem like they weren't reviewing the device so much as pining for it to do things in a way they prefer.

This is the premiere Windows phone device. So you're either into the platform or you're not. Don't worry about terms like "future proofing" or cores or HD screens. Future proofing is a joke with Android, for instance, because most of those phones get very little support post-launch, let alone upgrades to the latest OS. iPhone is much better in that regard but honestly, at this point, you pretty much know if you're an iPhone person or not (I don't mean that negatively, I just mean it's a very known, stable, and polished OS. No surprises with it, you know exactly what you're getting so either that works or it doesn't.)

Mostly the problem with tech reviewers is they've been trained by Android vendors to expect sometihng NEWER BIGGER FASTER GREATER HDer every other week. I've read tech blogs for years and it's gotten pretty bad.

This is a badass phone. IT's just a question whether you want Windows or not, but if not I assure you it won't be because the phone is lacking some spec.
    AndreaCristiano and wolf1891 like this.
    04-04-2012 08:33 PM
    Here is what I can tell you, from what I've seen, Nokia Lumia 900 is by far the best Windows Phone. It has great design, Nice camera, Nokia exclusive apps, Black Amoled screen, LTE capable and it's $99 or $49 or $0.1 or $0.00 after MIR, depending on how, where and when (your contract period) you are getting it. Combination of all these facts makes this the best Windows Phone that is out there in the market.

Now if you were waiting to move to WP from another device, you might want to think twice depending on the device you are currently using. If you are using an iPhone 4S, it's got one of the best screens and camera for any smart phone and has more storage options like 8/16/32/64 GB. If you are coming from a Galaxy Nexus or HTC similar devices, then they have the largest screens along with other HW related stuff like quad core or 1GB RAM, and removable storage card, etc. I will NOT compare the Apps because if you are counting the number of Apps, you should not even think about WP. But if you are looking at the ones you are currently using on a regular basis... most of them are already available and the other will be added soon.

With this in mind, I would suggest you make your decision. With electronics, the moment you get them, they are already outdated.

As far as the OS is concerned, you will always be able to upgrade to Apollo or Windows Phone 8 or whatever. But then I've not used a device beyond 6 months to an year. But that's me.

Every platform has it's own advantages and disadvantages. It really goes down to... WHAT WORKS FOR YOU.
    nokia4life likes this.
    04-04-2012 08:51 PM
    As a rule I don't usually pre order. I take tech blog reviews with a grain of salt. I usually wait for a device to come out and check the user reviews before deciding.

I find the user reviews to be more indicative of real world use than those of the tech blog geeks who tend to be a bit anal over details the typical user doesn't concern themselves with.

Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express
    04-04-2012 09:03 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD