Is $450 a good price for off contract?

blamattack

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
I'm actually due for an upgrade, and I really want to replace my 1st gen focus.

But I'm thinking there will be some really awesome windows 8 phones announced soon, and they will probably cost more than the 900 because they will have better screens, dual core processors.. ect

Should I save my upgrade for a possibly more expensive phone?
I could probably sell a used 900 for a few hundred bucks in 6 to 8 months couldn't I?

krayziehustler

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
buy the phone outright, 450 is cheap for off-contracl LTE smartphone...even the HTC Titan sells for about 650 off contract

That's what I did and will have my upgrade ready for Apollo

red grenadine

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
I just did the math.

If you upgrade for $100 and then just cancel service once apollo comes out the ETF will be ~270 or so. Total Cost: $370, which is cheaper than buying outright.

giodelgado

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
I ordered mine full price for the same reason, to save my upgrade for a Nokia Apollo device, this year they're holding their Nokia World event at their HQ and I don't think it's because their launching a simple product, most high end smartphones star over $600 so the Lumia 900 is a steal for the design and camera.

krayziehustler

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I just did the math.

If you upgrade for $100 and then just cancel service once apollo comes out the ETF will be ~270 or so. Total Cost: $370, which is cheaper than buying outright.

yeah but that only applies if he is leaving one carrier for another. Most WPers are on ATT and that wouldn't apply to us

gtbuzz

May 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm actually due for an upgrade, and I really want to replace my 1st gen focus.

But I'm thinking there will be some really awesome windows 8 phones announced soon, and they will probably cost more than the 900 because they will have better screens, dual core processors.. ect

Should I save my upgrade for a possibly more expensive phone?
I could probably sell a used 900 for a few hundred bucks in 6 to 8 months couldn't I?

I'm kind of in the same boat. I'm upgrading to the L900 from my Focus, but I'm not eligible for upgrade quite yet - probably could have gotten a rep in the AT&T store to let me do it if I had pushed, but I decided to just get it on the off contract price so I don't burn my upgrade right before Apollo devices come out.

I feel that it's highly likely that current gen devices will get upgraded in a simlar way to older iPhones, in that not all features may be available, but you'll at least get the upgrade. It makes sense with regards to how strict MS was towards fragmentation. It would be incredibly stupid for them to leave the current crop of phones behind as it would really put Windows Phone back at square 1 with userbase. Would have to figure all the current users would be so PO'd that they wouldn't make the trip to WP8 devices. Then again, companies have done some pretty dumb things in the past so this isn't completely out of the question either.

Assuming that you can upgrade current phones to WP8, there are known facts though - the L900 won't get a higher res screen, more cores in the processor, etc. etc. The high likelyhood that WP8 will introduce a lot of that is really the main reason I bought off contract instead - I'm probably going to want to switch to the new hotness when it comes out.

If you can manage to hold out with your Focus until Apollo comes out (I couldn't), I'd wait. Otherwise, I'd just buy off contract and wait for the next gen devices to use your upgrade.

Lets call the next gen phone $200 on contract, $500 off.
$450 for L900 - ~$100 for Focus = $350.
$200 for next gen phone + $350 - $250 guess at L900 used price = $300 out of pocket for 2 new phones

$100 for L900 on contract - $100 for Focus = $0
$500 for next gen phone + 0 - $250 guess at L900 used price = $250.

Granted all my numbers are speculation, but you can see that I'm basically paying $50-$100 in depreciation to use the L900 until WP8 phones come out. Worth it for me. Of course, you come out even better if you just wait.

gtbuzz

May 27, 2011
Visit site
I just did the math.

I've done that math multiple times before too. Unfortunately as someone else pointed out, it only works if you're going to another carrier. I've asked before and AT&T wouldn't let me just pay the ETF to break my contract, or effectively buying an upgrade.

nokia4life

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
i also have a upgrade avail but i just bought it outright this thing is cheap compared to most smartphones with the same specs.. go to expansyusa or negrielectronics the lumia 900 is like 600 plus bucks att it is.... now if i can get it ontime since i preordered it wheres my stuff att...

jawesome

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
I just did the math.

This is false. If you cancel within 30 days and keep the device AT&T will charge you the no-commitment price.

ftap

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
Let's do the real math.

$99 on new upgrade. You people forgot to add AT&T new $36 upgrade/activation fees. Yes sometimes you may get them to waive it but it's getting harder to get it waived these days.

So your costs basis is really about $135 to use your upgrade. Vs $450 no contract pricing.

I think $450 is excellent no contract pricing for a new release phone. Many full price phones are $500 and up. And iPhone is $650.

Maybe if I can get it for $49 from Walmart brick and mortar store (not lets talk or amazon cause they have stipulations which I can't stand). $49 would make me think. Since $49 plus $36 activation equals $85 plus taxes.

Windows phone resell value is not as good as some androids. And iPhones have best resell value. It's all about your cost basis.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos