If I buy an off contract 900 can I just slip my iphone4 sim in and use the 900? Is there anything that at&t would have to do? I'm not concerned with having LTE capability.

Thanks
    04-05-2012 11:11 PM
    I've read that you need LTE provisioning to get visual voicemail. Other than that I think it would work fine.
    04-05-2012 11:21 PM
    my nephew has an ip3gs on my att account. last week his phone died so he put his sim into a friends WP and used it for a while. I got an email right away from att on that line asking me if I had changed my sim to another phone and advising me to call att and discuss my data options. not sure how att noticed it so fast and in over 8 years with Cingular / att I never got an email before. I've swapped many Sims in my BB and Android phones and never had an issue.
    04-05-2012 11:44 PM
    my nephew has an ip3gs on my att account. last week his phone died so he put his sim into a friends WP and used it for a while. I got an email right away from att on that line asking me if I had changed my sim to another phone and advising me to call att and discuss my data options. not sure how att noticed it so fast and in over 8 years with Cingular / att I never got an email before. I've swapped many Sims in my BB and Android phones and never had an issue.
    In their systems, the iPhone data plan is different than the standard data plan. Why? I don't know. But best I can tell it's a cosmetic difference only.
    04-06-2012 12:36 AM
    I move my small sim from my iPhone 4 to several different phones on AT&T all the time. I've used it in an iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, several different Android phones and my Venue Pro. No problems at all (I use a "card condom" to allow it to work in the phones with the regular size sim). I imagine it'll work fine in the 900 even though it's LTE. Just won't get VVM. I use Google Voice anyway.
    -joe-
    04-06-2012 01:32 AM
    So what exactly needs to be done to get VVM back? Why doesn't it work when using sn iPhone 4 sim?
    Thanks
    04-06-2012 06:32 PM
    Supposedly, it's the LTE sim that does it. From what I've read you have to install an LTE sim and AT&T has to activate LTE for your phone or VVM won't work. And yes, even if you don't have LTE in your area. At least that's the word I've read. Oh and neilgehrke, are you using your iPhone sim in a 900 now? I'm waiting (freaking killing me too) for the white Lumia.
    -joe-
    Last edited by joeaux; 04-07-2012 at 09:17 PM. Reason: Thought of something!
    04-07-2012 09:15 PM
    I had an iPhone 4 and just swapped to the 900. I had a sim in the 4 that was recently replaced in January. When they tried switching the 4's sim to the 900, it wouldn't let them activate my old sim so I had to get a new one. Not sure why since they looked exactly the same but that was my experience.
    04-10-2012 10:35 AM
    Has anyone tried this? I'm trying it now and while its saying it has a data connection, I'm not actually able to get anywhere. I can make / receive calls fine.
    04-23-2012 10:33 AM
    Supposedly, it's the LTE sim that does it. From what I've read you have to install an LTE sim and AT&T has to activate LTE for your phone or VVM won't work. And yes, even if you don't have LTE in your area. At least that's the word I've read. Oh and neilgehrke, are you using your iPhone sim in a 900 now? I'm waiting (freaking killing me too) for the white Lumia.
    -joe-
    There's no difference in the SIM. You can take an iPad 2 SIM and stick it in the new iPad and still get LTE. It's the hardware that does this.

But, you do need AT&T to setup your data plan for LTE to get the VVM.
    04-23-2012 11:51 AM
    Tried this morning from 4S to 900 w/o luck. AT&T said I need new sims in phone and you can't swap them out.
    04-23-2012 01:45 PM
    If I buy an off contract 900 can I just slip my iphone4 sim in and use the 900? Is there anything that at&t would have to do? I'm not concerned with having LTE capability.

Thanks
    Technically you can. But the SIM that comes in the iPhone is not an LTE capable SIM. You can avoid any potential issues by just going to AT&T and getting a new SIM. They will give you one free no questions.

You can then swap that new SIM freely between phones.
    04-23-2012 01:54 PM
    If you still have the sim that originally shipped with the iPhone 4 or iPhone 4s, most likely it's a wrong sim that can't be provisioned for LTE. To resolve this you can just go to a corp store and ask for a microsim because you broke yours and they'll give you a new one. Next you'll have to ask them to provision the sim for LTE WITH VVM. They also have another plan that is LTE but without VVM so be sure to get the correct one. After that you should be able to switch back and forth.

Note: I haven't actually tested VVM on my iPhone after I changed my plan to LTE with VVM.
    04-23-2012 01:55 PM
    When I bought my 900 from Best Buy they did not have any LTE compatible sims. Their system would not accept any of the sims they had. The manager came over and said to take a sim out of a new iPhone 4S and use that. That worked fine.

I knew it would as when I used an iPhone 4S with the sim that came with it, I moved that sim to a new LTE Android phone and had no data. A quick call to AT&T and the data plan was changed to LTE.

Does that mean sims in new iPhone 4S's are LTE? Don't know but I do know they can be used for LTE service. I've seen it twice now.
    04-23-2012 06:35 PM
    When I bought my 900 from Best Buy they did not have any LTE compatible sims. Their system would not accept any of the sims they had. The manager came over and said to take a sim out of a new iPhone 4S and use that. That worked fine.

I knew it would as when I used an iPhone 4S with the sim that came with it, I moved that sim to a new LTE Android phone and had no data. A quick call to AT&T and the data plan was changed to LTE.

Does that mean sims in new iPhone 4S's are LTE? Don't know but I do know they can be used for LTE service. I've seen it twice now.
    It's possible that AT&T is now using all LTE micro-SIMs across the board now. It will be impossible to know when they started or if it is all of them for sure. AT&T will know if the SIM can do LTE data or not. In the case of not they will just give you a new one.
    04-23-2012 06:46 PM

Naw, there isn't such a thing as an LTE SIM - it's all about the IMEI and what services are provisioned for the SIM/Account. I had an iPhone 4 and upgraded at best buy - all they had to do was put my iPhone 4 SIM in and change the IMEI. My micro SIM came from June of 2010 (bought my iPhone on release day). My guess if you just swapped them out - you could use data, but not LTE or VVM. Lots of guys have gotten VVM on mango devices by doing a sim swap to an LTE device - update the IMEI and have their account provisioned for LTE service then switch the SIM back and update the IMEI (but not the services attached to the account/SIM). Tada!
    04-23-2012 06:49 PM
    I had an iPhone 4 and just swapped to the 900. I had a sim in the 4 that was recently replaced in January. When they tried switching the 4's sim to the 900, it wouldn't let them activate my old sim so I had to get a new one. Not sure why since they looked exactly the same but that was my experience.
    it's the LTE provisioning that caused the issue. Again even though you ma not have LTE in your area yet!
    04-23-2012 08:00 PM
    The LTE sim has data regarding the APN so if you took your LTE sim out of your 900 and put it in an iPhone, the iPhone may delete the LTE APN. So when you put it back in your 900, you will lose the LTE APN. However, this may have been fixed by the data connectivity update.

Likewise, taking a 3G sim and putting into an LTE phone may not yield LTE speeds.

You guys ever wonder why Samsung and Nokia for a while had apps in their app collection to configure and switch network settings and connections...
    04-24-2012 03:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD