(Official) I just got my Lumia 900

gtbuzz

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Sweet! Mine just got here. Didn't get my tracking number until 11pm last night, but one of the first to get it. Not gonna complain. There goes productivity for the rest of the day.

FYI, no signature was required (this was a residential delivery).

Edit: Don't know if this will apply to everyone, but I happened to order my phone off a Premier account and didn't have an activation number. Had to call support at 866-499-8008. Sat on hold for a few minutes but it was pretty painless.

Some first impressions about the device (moving from a 1st gen Samsung Focus)
- It's definitely much bigger in the hand, but not so noticable in the pants, thicknesses are about the same
- Screen-wise I'm glad I didn't go with the Titan. this reminds me of when I moved from a Tilt 2 to the HD2. Same screen resolution but 3.6" to 4.3". The difference in sharpness of the screen is noticable, but it's not bad. I suspect as with the HD2, I won't notice it after a while. Pixels aren't visible unless you really stare, it's just softer
- Color temperature of the screen is different from the Focus. Not sure if its a good difference or bad difference
- Blacks are slightly deeper (it is noticable though) on the L900. That's impressive.
- Build quality of the L900 is worlds beyond the Focus. No random rattles, which leads me to...
- The vibration on the L900. As the WPCentral review pointed out, it's this horrid metallic sound. I guess I can get used to it, but it sounds awful and cheap
- I don't mind the band around the screen. It's barely there.
- This screen is brighter than the Focus, both at the high end and at the low end. Not thrilled about the latter part for night-time reading
- Camera on the L900 seems snappier than on the Focus
- The scrolling thing isn't bad. Like many people have already pointed out, there is no lag (none). It's just slower (read:different)
- In setting up my live account on the L900, twitter and linkedin automatically came over. I had to set up Gmail and Facebook manually

That's all I can think of for now, just took it out of the box. Question for other people though - is there any way to transfer my text messages from one phone to another? I haven't figured that part out yet.

Edit #2: Just got visual voicemail set up so I thought I'd post how to do it to help people out. I was on an existing account with old 2gb data plan. When I activated my phone, the person on the phone told me that my data plan was already provisioned for 4G LTE, and I figured that was correct. Turns out it's not a switch in the data plan, but a completely different dataplan altogether.

I called 611 and she told me that I would need to move to the 2gb data plan with LTE + VVM (still $25/mo). After she did that, I had to call into voicemail again to set everything back up. After doing that and disconnecting, a prompt showed up when I pressed on the phone icon asking for my VVM password (default is your phone number, no area code, but I changed mine in the setup). After that, a new menu to the right of history showed up, called voicemail. I had to restart my phone one more time to get rid of a message saying it couldn't connect to VVM. Sent myself a test message and it works great!

Also one thing you might want to look for in determining if you're data plan is the LTE one or not (I would guess only works in an LTE market). Originally, the icon next to the signal strength said "4G". After I had my plan changed, it now says "LTE".

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

diegosalinas

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
For those that have received it and were using a Windows Phone prior to the Lumia 900...

How do you activate it? I've never bought a phone online through ATT. Since it uses a micro SIM and has a diff type of data plan...how does ATT "know" I am going to now use the Lumia 900 and stop using my current Windows Phone?

If it was a normal SIM, I could understand just switching the SIM out and then it just works.

Thanks!

Bgrubb

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
For those that have received it and were using a Windows Phone prior to the Lumia 900...

How do you activate it? I've never bought a phone online through ATT. Since it uses a micro SIM and has a diff type of data plan...how does ATT "know" I am going to now use the Lumia 900 and stop using my current Windows Phone?

If it was a normal SIM, I could understand just switching the SIM out and then it just works.

Thanks!
Sorry my posting skills are off today (excited to get my phone). There should of be instructions in your email you recieved from AT&T to activate your device. You can always dial #611 (I think) and follow the prompts.

ovrkast

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Sorry my posting skills are off today (excited to get my phone). There should of be instructions in your email you recieved from AT&T to activate your device. You can always dial #611 (I think) and follow the prompts.
I'm sure they'll be some documentation or sticker with a number for you to call and activate.

fuunkychicken

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
This wait is killing me! It will be such a relief to be back on wp7 after over a year on Android and iOS. FedEx still says on vehicle for delivery... Crossing fingers it will get here before noon when I leave for work :)

ovrkast

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to need another keyboard after all this is said and done...LOL! Hitting F5 to refresh FedEx site...still showing at local sort facility =(

fuunkychicken

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to need another keyboard after all this is said and done...LOL! Hitting F5 to refresh FedEx site...still showing at local sort facility =(

Try clearing cache and then try searching via tracking number again. Mine went from in FedEx vehicle for delivery to at your local FedEx location then back to on vehicle for delivery.

fuunkychicken

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
The sucky thing about this wait is that I live in Irving, TX and everyone here drives a big diesel truck so I always think I hear the FedEx guy lol

pderosa

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
Up and running. I activated online after turning the phone on. It was not getting the information from the network. A power cycle solved that. As soon as it turned back on it found the network and worked perfectly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel