04-11-2012 08:40 AM
46 12
tools
    his review was bang on about the platform.. stop being cranky fanboys
    04-07-2012 08:41 PM
    Agreed. But being a petulant child doesn't invalidate his review. My doctoral advisor was the biggest jerk on the planet--petty and vindictive. But he was good. Really good. So I put up with it for a couple years.
    I don't think it invalidates his review. In fact I mentioned above that I don't disagree with his review. But his attitude to his readership is turning me off to further reading his site.

PS. What was your doctorate in? My advisor was a **** too but I always figured that was the fact that mine had to do with finance.
    04-07-2012 08:46 PM
    I am not a fanboy. WP7 fits my needs and likes and I will keep using it, but I mentioned several times that I agree with his review. However, there was no need for him to respond the way he did (or to respond at all for that matter).
    04-07-2012 08:57 PM
    His response (for those who actually watched it) should be an incredible turn off.

We wouldn't have the colloquialism "I want to get a second opinion" if we trusted the professionals because they do something every day...

Turns out Einstein may have been wrong about the theory of relativity (but is still likely correct about gravity) ;)
    04-08-2012 01:18 AM
    I prefer to get my reviews from Josh's contempraries over at gdgt.com. Ryan Block is a much more fair and balanced reviewer than Josh, and the new metascores give me a way to get a quick impression of a device when I am on the go.

With the Lumia 900, a Windows Phone is finally worthy of gdgt recommendation. Here's why. - gdgt
    justop26 and Nataku4ca like this.
    04-08-2012 12:05 PM
    I think Josh doesn't help himself by being dismissive and saying "he knows more than you" and he tried to talk that back during the podcast. There is nothing wrong with his review. It's his opinion on the product and it's not wrong, just like if someone really like the phone they are not wrong.
    04-08-2012 12:20 PM
    So I was out to dinner with my girlfriend and her brothers. One of her brothers happens to work for the Apple store (one of those Genius guys). At one point I pulled out my phone to check the text and he knew exactly what it was and asked to see it. He played around with it for a few minutes and conceeded he felt like it was an awesome phone and that in his opinion the OS had matured enough that he felt like he could make the leap and be happy with it, except of course for the fact that he can't because of his job. Seems like high praise from someone who works for Apple.

Her other brother (who had never seen a Windows Phone before) played around with it for a while and said that in just that short time he wanted to switch from his iPhone, but alas - he works for a non-profit and apparently anything Microsoft is borderline heresy.

I guess neither of those will be an additional device sale, but amusing nonetheless and also shows how well the phone can show on first impression.

A little later on the brother that worked at the Apple store started prodding me about if I had read some reviews, to which I responded, you mean the one on the Verge? He immediately started harping on how it was a poor review and incredibly biased. I've said it before, and Josh is entitled to his own opinion and he's free to not like the phone, but here's an example of someone from the outside looking in felt like it just wasn't a good review.

Sure, he may know more about technology than I do, but it doesn't mean you can't write a bad review (and 3000 words doesn't make it a good or complete review either). PS - neither of those guys were concerned that their IRC connection will drop if they have to check their email.
    alpinestars1z and Nataku4ca like this.
    04-08-2012 04:30 PM

and what part was that? There was nothing of substance about his attack on the platform other than the old line about lack of apps....which is starting to sound like the old dual core line...

the guy is a hack. He was so full of himself that he left engadget to run his own pompous blog. I actually like Engadget MORE these days since he left and it has started to gain some of its credibility back. TheVerge is a hack site run by narsissys (sic)
    04-10-2012 12:22 PM
    1:37:00

"It's not a problem with Twitter, it's IE9".

(If you don't know, Twitter made some changes and left out WP users without a proper mobile website until recently, it was Twitter fault.)

I lol'ed.

But the fact that he truly believed it was an IE9 issue, just proves that he lives in a world on negativity against WP.
    Nataku4ca likes this.
    04-10-2012 12:51 PM
    1:37:00

"It's not a problem with Twitter, it's IE9".

(If you don't know, Twitter made some changes and left out WP users without a proper mobile website until recently, it was Twitter fault.)

I lol'ed.

But the fact that he truly believed it was an IE9 issue, just proves that he lives in a world on negativity against WP.
    exactly...
    04-10-2012 01:50 PM
    Anyone see the recent 'Tweet/Retweet' between him and AT&T?
    04-10-2012 02:20 PM
    Anyone see the recent 'Tweet/Retweet' between him and AT&T?
    no, care to enlighten us?
    04-10-2012 02:20 PM
    no, care to enlighten us?
    Sorry...hit submit to quick...

"Joshua Topolsky" (Retweeted by AT&T)
    --"Actually I mispoke. In light of how perfect the Lumia 900 is, I've had our developers add an 11 to our rating system. It is an 11."

"AT&T"
    "Got it! @joshuatopolsky: Wow, hey @ATT -- I was being sarcastic. Might want to clarify that to your followers."
    04-10-2012 02:24 PM
    smh....that guy is a tool
    04-10-2012 02:26 PM
    smh....that guy is a tool
    No kidding. I'm done with The Verge. His unprofessionalism sickens me, especially as an editor in chief! If I told people I worked with, or CONSUMERS even of my product, to 'calm the f*** down', I'd lose my job in a heartbeat.
    04-10-2012 02:58 PM

--"Actually I mispoke. In light of how perfect the Lumia 900 is, I've had our developers add an 11 to our rating system. It is an 11."

"AT&T"
    "Got it! @joshuatopolsky: Wow, hey @ATT -- I was being sarcastic. Might want to clarify that to your followers."
    holy moses... are you serious?
    04-11-2012 02:38 AM
    One thing he's right about ... he IS dry! I can hardly stand to watch him for even 30 seconds. Just take a look at all the Apple hardware sitting around him. You'll never get a fair review from this guy. just my opinion YMMV
    I don't think holding that against him is unfair. Most may not agree but Apple laptops are like perfection as far as smoothness and the iPad is one of the best tablets out there so I don't blame them for using their products.

I do agree that he is hard to listen to AND look at.
    04-11-2012 03:42 AM
    OH MY GOD I want my 15 minutes back.

A) I HATEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Podcasts, ESPECIALLY tech podcasts. They are so flippin' awkward and I have no idea how any human being can subscribe and submit their ears to listen to "journalists" drab ON AND ON with no type of transition into one topic from the other and all that awkward dead air that carries throughout each conversation. UGH

B) And a 10 minute plus spiel about how you know more about technology? Yeah I think I'm done with The Verge and a LOT of these tech sites. The art of reviewing is GONE. It's now just flipping the phone back and forth and 1) promote the companies that's paying for you 2) drab on and on about things that don't relate to the phone. Over it. It was the next best thing that I saw when I first discovered it because I get to see how products act before I could purchase them, but you barely get that experience anymore. 10 or 15 minutes of these multi-part reviews pertain to NOTHING about the item they're reviewing. They don't delve into the phones' ecosystem. They hit the homescreen several times, the app drawer, the camera, the browser, and then the speed tests. Is that what it's all about?
    HeyCori likes this.
    04-11-2012 03:52 AM

"AT&T"
    Thank you. More proof that Joshua is being a tool with Windows Phone.
    04-11-2012 05:19 AM
    Wow I wonder why I never noticed this during the Engadget days. And he REALLY needs to revamp that site. It's SUCH a flustercuck
    04-11-2012 05:57 AM
    You are still following him? I quit following him over a year ago.
    04-11-2012 08:40 AM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD