04-10-2012 08:25 PM
93 1234
tools
    Lack of Pandora, WP7 Connector on Mac is slow as ****, no manual brightness change, I am sure I will find more later.

For all the gripes about this screen it looks pretty damn nice to me.
    Buy (yes, it's that good) MetroRadio Pro. There's your Pandora.
    Can't speak on Mac stuff.
    You can change brightness in Settings?
    04-07-2012 12:21 PM
    slight little thing , but some kind of notification when phone is asleep either wake of the screen or the capactive buttons lighting would have been prime. Other than that love this phone and OS
    04-07-2012 12:30 PM
    Jeez...mine sounds fine on vibrate....no loose bits at all...just a deep solid buzz....maybe I just don't notice it.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    04-07-2012 12:38 PM
    is there any way I can use of my songs as my ringtone? I'm surprised it doesn't let me do that, I never liked any default ringtones...
    Yes but you need to edit the songs. They need to be 30 seconds or so. And their Genre in the ID3 tags needs to be set to Ringtone. Sync them thru Zune/Mac Connector and they will show up as custom ringtones.

iTunes is a great way to cut the songs. But you can also find other software to clip the tracks to 30 seconds. I'm surprised Microsoft still haven't had a way to just right click a track in Zune and have create ringtone.
    04-07-2012 12:43 PM
    is there any way I can use of my songs as my ringtone? I'm surprised it doesn't let me do that, I never liked any default ringtones...
    You can do this by changing the genre to "ringtone" in Zune before syncing to the phone. It may have to be trimmed to 30 secs as well, I don't remember since I have never done it.

Sent from my Windows 8 tablet.
    04-07-2012 12:48 PM
    Just to elaborate on the jlkelley and camaroguy contributions: move any song or tone file into your mymusic folder -or whatever folder you've set as your music folder, and you'll then find it alphabetically in your Collection screen listing of songs in Zune. Right-click on the song/tone and access the Edit window. In the Genre drop-down, select ringtone. Then, on your phone, you'll find the new tone on the Settings > Ringtones + Sounds > Ringtone screen as a Custom sound at the top of your tone listings.
    --300SLguy ;)
    04-07-2012 01:23 PM
    Anyone else feel as though the raised glass is a bit uncomfortable on the ear?
    04-07-2012 01:28 PM
    Biggest thing I absolutely hate is only 16GB of storage space (and 13 usable).

I also dislike software keyboards and miss the hardware one of my Venue Pro and previous devices, but I was forcing myself to use the software one on the VP to prepare for that a little.

But the 16GB is going to be a problem, when my apps, games, and trial games are taking up 12GB alone.
    04-07-2012 01:33 PM
    I wish the chrome camera bezel wasn't so scratch prone.

BTW there's a stickied thread under the general forum with ringtone tutorial and tons of ringtones people have uploaded. I even uploaded a few.
    04-07-2012 01:42 PM
    Thank Rodolfo, jlkelley and camaroguy. For those that's wondering the same, to sum up, go to itunes to cut the song to 30 sec or less (i didn't go over 30s, but give it a try anyway), sync them thr zune after changing its genre to ringtone (i didn't find ringtone in the genre dropdown so I just typed it), then you're good to go.

on another note, i'm new to Zune too and find it quite interesting, definitely more lively than itunes
    Rodolfo#WP likes this.
    04-07-2012 02:02 PM
    I wish the USB port was on the bottom, or maybe allow the screen to rotate 180 degrees, so as to allow a docking station, or a car cradle charger. It would be helpful for continuous GPS use, for example. And then being able to have the screen stay lit would be a bonus in that case.
    04-07-2012 02:09 PM
    I simply just love everything about this phone, the only thing is I wish i had the option to turn off LTE when I dont need it. Still conditioning the battery and since I fully charged it when I got it yesterday it finally died after 28 hours of none stop use, facebook, people, pics, uploading, syncing, marketplace, browsing the net and taking video. I have to say Im very impressed with battery life, below 10% with constant use i got like almost 2 hours out of it. Also the brightness I have set to low and holy **** i can read everything in direct sunlight...why do i need to use high? 10 minutes with it and my roomate was on ATT's site ordering one, he said F tmobile and his galaxy s2. The interface is soo much faster than android imo and I to was coming from a galaxy s2 (sprint). 16GB is a little low but I dont do much on my phone other than email and music. Im not a big mobile gamer.

@wilco9 - I totally love zune, especially over iTunes. they are both great in their own way but I just love the zune interface much more. I usually have parties and use zune on my tv as the visuals and its pretty awesome.
    04-07-2012 02:14 PM
    The unit shipped to me is defective. Buttons below dont work and they freeze the whole screen or activate at will. Aside from that frustration, I love the device. Camera tho is subpar.
    I have the same button issue. My soft buttons seem to active on their own. Especially the back button. At first I thought I was hitting it by accident but I watched it go to the previous app while I was holding it with one hand. I also have a camera activation button issue but that is in another thread.

I love the phone overall but I am going to exchange it tomorrow at the store. It is a shame it does not work right.

I may compare it to the titan II since I am going to be at the store anyway!
    04-07-2012 02:41 PM
    Thanks for qualifying my post, wilco9: It's been a while, but I think you're right -that I did have to type "ringtone" into the Genre box in Zune. I note that ringtone is now a genre category for any song in my collection, and the sign that I did type it in is that it is the only option that is not capitalized. ;)
    04-07-2012 03:06 PM
    metroRadio, change camera focus to MACRO, easyring for ringtones
    04-07-2012 03:15 PM
    Coming from a Samsung Captivate and Android, so far I am very impressed with this phone and the OS. The interface is very slick and intuitive. Obviously the common screen smudging and fingerprints are an issue but not a deal breaker. The phone build is solid and that's no surprise having owned many Nokias in the past. The call quality is superb making my Captivate sound like a tin can on a string. A few things so far that I would change would be:

1. Add a "Custom" field for phone numbers. Some of my contacts have many phone numbers and I would like to differentiate between them properly.

2. Let me make the decision if curse words are to be sensored when using speech to text. Ok?

Other than that the phone is awesome.
    04-07-2012 04:10 PM
    Somebody mentioned this the other day but when listening to music with headphones there is an audible hiss when the volume is low/no music playing. Anyone else experience this? Other than that im very happy with the upgrade from the Focus.
    I tried to re-create this but I hear no hissing of any kind. I was actually going to say that the audio player is very good and, dare I say it, better than my iPhone 4. For hissing, I would suspect the headphones or the audio source. I don't think it's the device itself. I have a pair of Klipsch S4i headphones and sounds incredible on the Lumia. 100 times better than the Focus on the same pair of headphones.
    04-07-2012 04:38 PM
    So far there isn't much I don't like. I do wish they had made the glass smooth/curved like the 800 instead of the lip this one has, but it's a very very minor point.

The only other complaint I have is the way youtube is handled. Clicked on a youtube link on someone's Facebook and it took me to youtube page and said "this user hasn't allowed access by mobile applications" or something to that effect.

Another point is the Facebook integration, which is nice to an extent, but I do sort of wish I had some ability to edit the address book, i.e. I have a friend who is on Facebook, but his Facebook phone number is wrong, in the address book on the phone, I have the choice of either having the wrong number and the right one (contacts linked) or unlinking the two contacts Facebook and the outlook contact and having two contacts for the same person.

I like the Facebook stuff to an extent, but at the same time it would be nice to have the option to modify that. I don't need EVERYONE I have as a Facebook friend in my address book. It's making me reconsider if I even want Facebook linked to my contacts. Kind of a double edged sword...

Again, another minor point. Not a huge deal.

Overall I'm extremely pleased. The phone is beautiful, very well made, responsive. The OS is very polished, amazing when you consider it's barely 2 years old. Far smoother than the Android crap I was putting up with.

So far I love it. The few annoyances I think will be things I'll learn to workaround or solve or will be addressed in future updates/Apollo etc.

You couldn't pay me to take back my crap Android phone, that's for sure. Love this thing.
    04-07-2012 04:46 PM
    finger prints? oh man cmon dont even get me started. On my atrix, it was horrible!! ten times nastier than lumia 900 dude trust me. n i think problem is with gorilla glass cuz atrix had the same glass but on the other hand, ITS EXTREMELY strong and unbreakable (i dropped my atrix more than twice but not a SINGLE SCRATCH) its amazing.

my biggest problem: WHY THERE IS NOT A NOTIFICATION BAR. swipe it down, they are all there or swipe it left to right? or on home screen under than right arrow? i hope they have a better notification system on windows phone 8!! but still, this phone is awesome n so much better than some i have used over past few years. im very happy with nokia lumia 900.
    04-07-2012 05:41 PM
    AT&T's HSPA+ "4G" network is a crock. Getting the exact same speeds as my iPhone 4. Hopefully they expand LTE up a little further north from DC soon.

Oh and it didn't come with a headset? Every phone I've ever bought came with one since 2001. What's the deal Nokia?

@socialcarpet, on the Facebook thing. In the settings you can filter what contacts display on your phone as usable contacts. You will still get everything updating. But when you look at your actual contact list facebook contacts will be removed and it will only display your gmail contacts for example; how I prefer it. I just found this out and found it to be much improved.
    04-07-2012 05:50 PM
    The vibrate is a bit week, not sure someone that does manual labor is going to feel it during the day while working.

But my biggest gripe is one that may not be the lumia's fault, might just be i've been doing unlocked phones for so long it's not something i have dealt with.
    I HATE the way you have to handle your contacts, i just want a list and phone number, i don't want friends lists from other sites, i don't want email address's. I just want a simple list the same way all my other nokia's work.
    04-07-2012 06:03 PM
    But my biggest gripe is one that may not be the lumia's fault, might just be i've been doing unlocked phones for so long it's not something i have dealt with.
    I HATE the way you have to handle your contacts, i just want a list and phone number, i don't want friends lists from other sites, i don't want email address's. I just want a simple list the same way all my other nokia's work.
    Go to the people app, then settings, then "Filter my contact list". That'll let you not see Facebook/Twitter/etc contacts. As for not wanting email addresses, just don't enter them in. :D
    tlo07 likes this.
    04-07-2012 06:08 PM
    I've noticed media volume (music and video) is plenty loud, but system sounds are pretty quiet. I used to keep my Titan on 20 unless I was playing something in the car, and the 900 can stay on 15... But then it's really hard to hear texts/calls/emails. Maybe it's all in my head.
    04-07-2012 06:43 PM
    I'm not super impressed with the screen, can't understand why it's gotten such glorious reviews... to me, it's just "okay". I also have the first Titan, kinda like the screen on that better.
    04-07-2012 09:23 PM
    Somebody mentioned this the other day but when listening to music with headphones there is an audible hiss when the volume is low/no music playing. Anyone else experience this? Other than that im very happy with the upgrade from the Focus.
    I noticed this last night while I was using bluetooth headphones (cheap brand--rocketfish) and the phone was plugged in to charge. Now I'm using the same headphones without the power source plugged into the phone and it makes a huge difference. I'm actively listening for the noise and I can hear very little, if any. I don't hear any at during quiet or silent parts of a song, only in between songs. I think its similar to when I would use my iPhone in the car with the aux cable. If I had to plug it in to charge at the same time the noise would be so bad I couldn't even listen to it.
    04-07-2012 10:08 PM
93 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD