Lumia 900 No Data on 3G/4G

kicknik

Mar 22, 2012
Visit site
Even without restarting, the chances are very good that within 24 hours you will lose the data connection again and be back to square one. Hate to be the bearer of bad news but I had the same experience. Left it on all night and by the morning the data connection was not working again.

If you add the apn, you should be fine and the data should stick.

Has this not worked for anyone? So far everyone I know that has tried has a fixed problem, even it the sim card is SUPPOSED to have one already programmed. This is still a very easy fix.

Gaiking

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I actually haven't had any data problems since I wiped my phone several times in a row. I still have my fingers crossed though.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

hellomiggy

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
I actually haven't had any data problems since I wiped my phone several times in a row. I still have my fingers crossed though.

Whatever you do try not to restart, I did your process. Restarted and yeah the data wasn't working.

bellyer1

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
If this problem is happening to you, just take your phone back and swap it for a new one in an AT&T store. I went in to a store in Chicago this morning and did just that. I was in and out of there in less than 20 minutes and have myself a brand new Lumia 900 (and kept my old power cord...always good to have a spare). I have restarted my new phone a few times and the data is all still working fine.

Almost no questions asked exchange on the phone. None of the associates in the store had heard of the problem though. I was a bit surprised about that.

Brandon Live

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
I hit this problem on my phone (a "Made in Korea" model). The Redmond AT&T store seemed familiar with the problem and were able to fix my phone in a couple of minutes, and it's been working great since (fingers crossed it stays that way).

All they did was hold down both volume buttons and the power button to power it off, then restart it, which apparently triggers it to do... something (re-register the IMEI?). Now it's been working fine (including after toggling airplane mode and further reboots).

1414H77

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
If you add the apn, you should be fine and the data should stick.

Has this not worked for anyone? So far everyone I know that has tried has a fixed problem, even it the sim card is SUPPOSED to have one already programmed. This is still a very easy fix.

I finally went to the store today and got a replacement. The store manager said the problem was not fixable long-term (these short fixes don't last) and that the problem was a faulty batch of phones. He said all the inventory in stores of the bad stock has since been returned and the new phones are not problematic. My replacement is working since being activated this morning. I will check back tomorrow and indicate if it remains working.

Gaiking

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I hit this problem on my phone (a "Made in Korea" model). The Redmond AT&T store seemed familiar with the problem and were able to fix my phone in a couple of minutes, and it's been working great since (fingers crossed it stays that way).

All they did was hold down both volume buttons and the power button to power it off, then restart it, which apparently triggers it to do... something (re-register the IMEI?). Now it's been working fine (including after toggling airplane mode and further reboots).

When they did that did it reset the phone to factory default and wipe it clean or was it just some kind of forced reboot?

camaroguy

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
When they did that did it reset the phone to factory default and wipe it clean or was it just some kind of forced reboot?

Its the equivalent of removing the battery in a phone with a removable battery. It does not erase your data or anything. That said, it didn't fix my problem phone, and they replaced it. No problems at all with the current one, could have been a bad batch as was mentioned.

PhilR8

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site
Hey guys, I've had this problem all day, been on the phone, been in the corp stores (couldn't replace because they're out of stock) and tried every setting I could find. This is APN settings I found online that finally worked

In Settings > Cellular > Add APN

APN
isp.cingular

User Name
isp@cingular.com

Password
cingular1

So far, so good. Best of luck!

This worked for me just now... but for how long?

My situation: pre-ordered a Cyan 900 last week. It arrived on Friday and on Saturday I took it to the local AT&T store to have my port completed: I switched from Sprint. I received a new SIM card when I went to the store because I activated my device before calling about the port, so SIM had to be exchanged.

Anyway, today was the first time experiencing the data bug. In my office, I have no cell coverage so I keep my device plugged in so that WIFI will stay connected. Today I left the office and tried to use my phone outside of the range of WIFI and it wouldn't connect. Performed several soft resets, nothing happened.

Came home, read this thread, used this APN information and now I'm connected again. LTE works. I'll keep an eye on this thread and I'll be back if I lose data again. I'll take a wait-and-see approach regarding exchanging my phone, but if it comes down to that and that fixes the issue, I'll do it.

Gaiking

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I tested out the data by rebooting and it is gone again....I tried all of the above APN changes and none of them work at all. I'm not going to wipe this phone again. I'll just wait and see what happens this week and then perhaps I'll go get a replacement phone.

wizll

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
This worked for me just now... but for how long?

My situation: pre-ordered a Cyan 900 last week. It arrived on Friday and on Saturday I took it to the local AT&T store to have my port completed: I switched from Sprint. I received a new SIM card when I went to the store because I activated my device before calling about the port, so SIM had to be exchanged.

Anyway, today was the first time experiencing the data bug. In my office, I have no cell coverage so I keep my device plugged in so that WIFI will stay connected. Today I left the office and tried to use my phone outside of the range of WIFI and it wouldn't connect. Performed several soft resets, nothing happened.

Came home, read this thread, used this APN information and now I'm connected again. LTE works. I'll keep an eye on this thread and I'll be back if I lose data again. I'll take a wait-and-see approach regarding exchanging my phone, but if it comes down to that and that fixes the issue, I'll do it.
I have a similar situation to you and I'm not yet sure it's the same as the issue in this thread, since this thread sounds more like it's showing that you're connected to something but cannot do anything with it. Cell reception is crap at my office, and it got to the point where the phone was not even connected to any cell network (0 bars with a circle slash symbol on it). I walked outside to the parking lot where I knew there was reception, but it never connected, and just kept searching forever. I then just did a normal restart of the phone, it was still unable to connect to any service. Then, I did the two volume button and power button restart, and after that, it connected. It has been connected since, even in my spotty office area.

related, unrelated?

before what I described above, I didn't really have any issues with LTE since I got it friday. I haven't really gone anywhere that has only 3G/4G, so I've been worried about having a defect and not knowing it.

smartass1379

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Best Fix without loosing your data

1. remove sim card while device is on and let it realize its missing
2. Reboot the device without the sim card and let it start up
3. Reboot the device without the sim card one more time and let it startup
4. Shut down device and reinsert sim card.
5. turn on device and let it find the signal.

This should work. sadly only for while, until data connection is severed and you have to repeat the steps again. At least you get to keep your data.

wizll

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Nokia just posted this on their facebook page:

Putting people first – Nokia Conversations : the official Nokia blog

Nokia US
Hi all! We’ve identified a memory management issue with the Nokia Lumia 900 that could potentially cause a loss of data connectivity. A software update is coming real soon. Customers will receive automatic $100 credit towards their AT&T account.

And wow, if this is the type of customer service Nokia is planning to bring to the table to the market, consider me a new ******. Another $100 on top of the $100 off during pre-orders.

Last edited:

Gaiking

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
This is absolutely remarkable. I expected Nokia to sooner or later beat around the bush about this and have to fix it...but this.....this is incredible. Nokia..to quote Rick in Casablanca..."Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship."

wow.

henilp89

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
nokia just posted this on their facebook page:

putting people first ? nokia conversations : The official nokia blog

nokia us
hi all! We?ve identified a memory management issue with the nokia lumia 900 that could potentially cause a loss of data connectivity. A software update is coming real soon. Customers will receive automatic $100 credit towards their at&t account.

And wow, if this is the type of customer service nokia is planning to bring to the table to the market, consider me a new ******. Another $100 on top of the $100 off during pre-orders.

nice this is awesome!!

colbs14

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
Seems that there are separate issues causing confusion on this data issue and how to fix it:

1) Intermittant data: looks like Nokia has acknowledged the "memory management" issue and will likely fix it, until then sounds like the sim removal/reset is providing a temporary fix. Changing the APN does not sound like a good idea because as I understand you will not be able to change it back even after a hard reset and this could cause issues for future updates.

2) No data: like me, it seems that a lot of people are not getting data at all. This appears to be more related to ensuring that the data plan was setup with the "Smartphone 4g LTE" enabled and requires a call to AT&T. I converted from an iPhone4 and that was pinned down as the issue and fixed. AT&T needs some training on this one.

Good luck!

techmack1414

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
This is absolutely remarkable. I expected Nokia to sooner or later beat around the bush about this and have to fix it...but this.....this is incredible. Nokia..to quote Rick in Casablanca..."Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship."

wow.

Actually, you were blaming AT&T.... along with dogfish54, for this issue.

I'll take an apology any time, as you two were very stern on trying to make me feel stupid when I said don't pin this on AT&T.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)