This is my first WinMo device since my Tilt2. I have been a Android user since that time, and I was sick of the lag, ****ty battery life, ****ty reception and the dropped calls.

First, this phone seems well built. It feels good in my hands and has a quality look to it. The OS is smooth and fast and is intuitive. Having never used the OS before, ever, I have no problems getting around, adding apps, pinning, etc. You can tell MS put in a lot of effort to make the OS great.

I have installed some apps, and I can find most of what I have been using on my Android phones for the last couple years, with some exceptions, but so far nothing that I think I will miss.

I am loving Zune. Just signed up for an account last night in prep for the phones arrival. Created a playlist and then synced the phone this afternoon. I have a Mercedes Benz with BT and it immediately picked up the phone and connected. My Android device never did that as quickly. My wife's iPhone did but this phone seemed to do it in just seconds. I started up Zune tuned the audio system to BT and music started playing immediately from the Zune app. Sound was excellent. I can easily control the music from the dash and the song titles, album title and artist all displayed properly. Nice alternative to the standard radio and Sirius. Me like. :)

Call quality - just a couple work related calls but all were crystal clear. Have not tried the speakerphone yet or BT headset. More importantly, a 20 minute call through a couple of known dead spots for my Android where the call would almost always drop, this phone never did. It was a nice surprise to not have to call someone back and apologize for the drop.

Loving the live tiles. Just a very cool feature.

Camera - only took one image, indoors, and while I was not WOW'ed it was not horrible. Basically ok for a phone. Would I trade in my dSLR? Heck no, but it is good enough for quick snapshots.

My work email (Exchange 2010 Server) setup was incredibly easy. I just typed in my email address and password and the phone did the rest. All of emails synced, my calendar and tasks and contacts. No messing with settings like I had to with the Android.

Gmail and Hotmail also setup and synced without a problem.

Battery life - Unknow. I let it get down a bunch and got the critical battery level warning before I put it on the charger. I am not in an LTE area (Really AT&T - Denver is a major market, why is it taking so long), so not sure how LTE would affect battery life.

Reception - My HTC Inspire gets one, maybe two bars in my house, mostly one. This phone is showing 3 bars at all times throughout the house and a 4G indicator always. Sometimes by Inspire would drop down to 3G in the house. So far, this alone is worth the switch.

So far, I am loving this phone. Very impressed with just about everything. No problems so far and setup was a breeze. This OS is just good all around. I think if more people tried it, they could not help but like it. Hopefully this phone and the future ones coming up will push people to give it a try and in turn give developers a good reason to build more apps. Some apps I find are so much better on this OS than Android or even iOS. For instance, FourSquare's app is 100% better than on the Android phones. Better look, better use.

If anyone is on the fence, I say give it a try, chances are you will like it. It blows Android out of the water. Is it better than iOS? Tough call. I like it better, but some people may not.
    04-06-2012 09:12 PM
    You have basically summed up exactly how I felt when I came over from android. I loved it for its customization but grew tired of how unstable it always became. I used my Focus S and fell in love with this OS. And now that I got my Lumia, I can say I am just about to fall in love with the hardware. Its an amazing feeling device that finally gives the OS its own look.

My Focus S was just a Galaxy with a different homepage according to people who first glanced at it. That will no longer be an issue with this sex pot :-P Can't wait to take this bad boy out for its first day on the town. Welcome to WP7!

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    04-06-2012 09:38 PM
    Small nitpick: WP users don't like it referred to as WinMo, or Windows Mobile, etc, as this is a source of confusion that negatively affects WP sales. Windows Mobile left a bad taste in a LOT of people's mouths... That being said, WELCOME TO WINDOWS PHONE!
    04-06-2012 09:45 PM
    after a day am loving this phone and the OS wow its like a breath of fresh air .....maybe im becoming a WINPHAN!!!!
    dogfish54 likes this.
    04-06-2012 09:52 PM
    I am loving the lumia as well and i have had them all this by far is the best just wish the camera was better but i did notice that i hold it down the camera button it took a better picture than just quick snap let go so this could be user error on some of these not so good photo's
    04-06-2012 09:57 PM
    This is definetly an awesome phone, the build quality is beyond what I expected. This phone feels nicer to me then my old iPhone 4, the size took a little getting used to but now I'm fine with it.

The camera button is also pretty cool with the whole hold it down a little to focus, and all the way to take the picture, its like a real camera.

04-06-2012 10:00 PM
    Thanks for the honest review! As someone who's currently using an Android phone (Samsung infuse) I read your post thoroughly. I've wanted to try WP for quite some time but I'm honestly still on the fence about making the switch. I'm also tired of rooting, hacking, running a custom ROM, and other stuff just to make it work right. Also being tethered to a charger all day sucks too!

There are a couple of apps that I use quite a bit that aren't available for WP. One is the app for my Epson Workforce 545 printer which I use often. I know WM used to have the jetcet printing app as part of the OS but I don't know if WP has anything comparable or not. There are times when I really need to print something from my phone.

I also have an app from LG Electronics that allows me to control and access various menus on my TV namely the service menus.

From what I can find out, neither company has plans to offer the apps for WP7 devices, which sucks! Two or three of the forums I subscribe to also don't offer WP7 apps but I could probably use Board Express for those so those are not a deal breaker for me.

I still might try a 900 and see how it goes. Worse case is I have to return it, stick with Android, and hope for more app support for WP8 devices.
    04-06-2012 10:25 PM
    Quick comment on the battery. I'd say it's pretty damn good. I was literally on the phone for about 7 hours straight on LTE. Downloading maps, updates, apps, and various other things while waiting for my cousin to arrive. Got down to about 15 percent. On my android with overly heavy use I would have been drained. I was streaming videos as well. I'm impressed. You guys may say seven hours isn't long, but you have to understand the extent I was using it and how it compares to all android and iPhones. Well iPhones don't count....no LTE. Ok so that wasn't a quick comment. Lol.

04-06-2012 10:39 PM
    Take it out in the sun. You can see it!

Sent from my Htc Titan using Board Express
    henilp89 likes this.
    04-07-2012 12:03 AM
    Small nitpick: WP users don't like it referred to as WinMo, or Windows Mobile, etc, as this is a source of confusion that negatively affects WP sales. Windows Mobile left a bad taste in a LOT of people's mouths... That being said, WELCOME TO WINDOWS PHONE!
    Gotcha. Thanks for the tip.
    04-07-2012 01:34 AM
    Glad you like it
    04-07-2012 05:58 AM
    Great review. I am getting mine on Monday and am a big android user. Your usage sounds just like mine and I really appreciate the indepth review. One question, does Gmail sync your contacts and calendar. Google voice is going to be my only issue I think. That worries me.
    04-07-2012 08:22 AM
    Great review. I am getting mine on Monday and am a big android user. Your usage sounds just like mine and I really appreciate the indepth review. One question, does Gmail sync your contacts and calendar. Google voice is going to be my only issue I think. That worries me.
    it does sync your contacts and calendars
    04-07-2012 09:02 AM
    I also relied on GoogleVoice. Someone told me about an app called GoVoice which is GoogleVoice for WP7. I have not installed it yet, but I will be shortly. It is free as well.
    04-07-2012 10:32 AM
    When you do let me know your thoughts.
    04-07-2012 10:34 AM
    When you do let me know your thoughts.
    I cannot get it to work properly, although I have not played with it much yet. On my Inspire, all of my VM went through Google Voice, which included Visual VM. For some reason, this phone is still going through the AT&T VM. I may be doing something wrong and I will continue to play with it, but so far no joy.
    04-08-2012 02:31 AM
    What can't you get working with or having trouble with. This will help me since I am getting it tomorrow. I have already found that the nest thermostat doesn't have an app yet for windows phone. That is nice to adjust your thermostat from your phone. But I will figure that out.
    04-08-2012 10:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD