Unlimited data plan with iPhone 4 to Nokia

smapor

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Scenario

Bought a Nokia lumia 900 (so nice) as my personal phone. I have a 2nd phone for business (iPhone 4, unlimited data plan).

Can I swap SIM around without problems? Anybody else do this?

JRBTempe

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm attempting to do this with my iPhone 4S as well -- it does work, though you'll have to change the APN on the Nokia to "phone" (no quotes). Unfortunately, MMS and voicemail won't work unless you call AT&T, and even then you'll have to set it all up again when you switch back to the iPhone. Ugh.

JRB

smapor

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm attempting to do this with my iPhone 4S as well -- it does work, though you'll have to change the APN on the Nokia to "phone" (no quotes). Unfortunately, MMS and voicemail won't work unless you call AT&T, and even then you'll have to set it all up again when you switch back to the iPhone. Ugh.

JRB

So you have an unlimited data plan?

So every time you swap your sim you have to call AT&T. Lame :(

I would just switch my business phone but they only allow us to get email through mobile iron (mdm).

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

JRBTempe

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
So you have an unlimited data plan?

So every time you swap your sim you have to call AT&T. Lame :(

I would just switch my business phone but they only allow us to get email through mobile iron (mdm).

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

Yes, I have an unlimited data plan grandfathered over from the original iPhone in 2007. They did switch me to the LTE data plan but still unlimited. Just spent another 45 mins. on the phone with AT&T trying to get Visual Voicemail to work on the Lumia 900 but no dice... they filed a trouble ticket and they'll get back with me on April 17. LOL

JRB

Update: I called back and spoke to another rep who was able to get things working -- best of all, once she was able to get VV working, I was able to put the SIM back in my iPhone 4S and continue to get VV there and even send/receive MMS messages! So it seems there's some trick at AT&T's end to get it working and persistence is the key...

Last edited:

smapor

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I have an unlimited data plan grandfathered over from the original iPhone in 2007. They did switch me to the LTE data plan but still unlimited. Just spent another 45 mins. on the phone with AT&T trying to get Visual Voicemail to work on the Lumia 900 but no dice... they filed a trouble ticket and they'll get back with me on April 17. LOL

JRB

Update: I called back and spoke to another rep who was able to get things working -- best of all, once she was able to get VV working, I was able to put the SIM back in my iPhone 4S and continue to get VV there and even send/receive MMS messages! So it seems there's some trick at AT&T's end to get it working and persistence is the key...

Awesome, I was going to go to the store. Guess I will try on Monday!!!

Thanks again for the follow up.

smapor

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Just reporting my experience. I stuck my sim in the Nokia phone and everything works. However i have a weird issue, people with iPhones who send me imessages i don't receive them, they go to my old iPhone without a sim on WiFi. I guess i need to call At&t

ashykat

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
Just reporting my experience. I stuck my sim in the Nokia phone and everything works. However i have a weird issue, people with iPhones who send me imessages i don't receive them, they go to my old iPhone without a sim on WiFi. I guess i need to call At&t

No need to call AT&T. Just stick your SIM back in the iPhone, go to Settings>Messages and turn iMessage OFF. Then your friends messages should go through as Text Messages instead of iMessages.

loribinca

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
they made me give up the iPhone plan, but i got an unlimited LTE plan for the same $30 a month. so I guess I am still grandfathered into unlimited.

or am I missing something?

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
they made me give up the iPhone plan, but i got an unlimited LTE plan for the same $30 a month. so I guess I am still grandfathered into unlimited.

iPhones have iPhone specific data plans.

Blackberry phones have blackberry specific data plans

all others use a general smartphone plan.

what is the difference? Nothing, you get the same amount of data it just the label of the plan that is different.

I had a unlimited data plan with my iphone, got a samsung focus S and switched to an unlimited data plan. They said i had to switch from an iphone data plan to differnet plan, but i knew it was only changing the name of the data plan and knew i was going to get an unlimited smartphone plan. Essentially nothing changes.

In the end, dont worry about them saying you need to change data plans, technically you do, but you still get the same data plan amount that you had prior. If they say that they no longer have unlimited data plans available, that is not true, if you had an unlimited plan before, you can have one now, just dont switch off to a different plan.

dangish

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site

iPhone has a specific code, LTE has a specific code, BlackBerry has a specific code, HSPA+ has a specific code.

Also, those of you flip flopping the sim card; iPhone sim is not LTE and each imei needs to be provisioned in the system. Especially if flipping from iPhone to Lumia.

Sometimes there cam be a delay at the switch when flipping the sim

Jim Spencer1

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
I just switched from Iphone 4 to Lumina 920, no problem, everything works, not sure I might switch back to iphone, so why would I need to call if everything is working properly???

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster