Hey guys, love the phone so far, but seems i've made a mess of my contacts.

Once i used my hotmail log in, it was all downhill from there.

I don't use facebook, i don't use twitter and i really don't email anyone.
    Also my email contacts aren't people who i would call (at least most of them aren't)

Any way to just have a plain old contacts list, just like i had on my last 50 nokia phones?

Same goes for the mrs phone, she signed in with facebook, now she has a million contacts she doesn't want on her phone.

For now, i made a group called contacts, pinned it, but it still puts all the numbers i want into "people", then i have to move them to contacts. PITA.
    04-07-2012 01:37 PM
    settings
    swipe to applications
    people
    filter my contact list
    select which sources to show contacts from
    04-07-2012 01:40 PM
    First thing to know is that there is no "local" contacts list, it's all synced from the cloud. Which clould depends on what you have setup. The first thing I'd do is go in and clean up your Live/Hotmail contact list, this is easiest done at a computer. Then it'll just sync over automatically. They even have handy thing to get rid of duplicates.

Next go to settings, swipe sideways to applications, then people. From here you can filter your contact list to show only from certain clouds. You can go even further with Facebook by showing only Facebook posts from people in your contact list in Hotmail/Live.
    04-07-2012 01:44 PM
    Thanks for the replies.

I already have it set to not show my contacts from windows live, but then there is no place to show them from, i have no sim contacts.

Guess times change and so do your contacts, i really wish i could have it listed the old way just a name and a number, connected to nothing other than your phone and sim card.

edit:
    Can i get a micro sim card adapter, insert it in my n900, copy contacts, then reinstall card in my lumia 900 and use contacts from sim?
    Last edited by jcar302; 04-07-2012 at 05:05 PM.
    04-07-2012 04:56 PM
    You can import from a SIM yes, but you can't keep them stored on the SIM.
    Last edited by oldpueblo; 04-07-2012 at 08:32 PM.
    04-07-2012 05:46 PM
    i agree a local contacts would be nice that isnt related to people hub
    04-07-2012 07:12 PM
    I could've sworn there was a way to filter out anyone that doesn't have a phone number associated. Basically you just use Live as your main contact list then. I don't see the benefit of storing them locally, if your phone gets lost then bye bye numbers or if you change devices you have to migrate them off. Also if you want to clean them up or add a lot more information then you are forced to use the phone instead of a mouse/keyboard/full size screen.

Basically if you are finding your contacts by scrolling through the entire screen, you're "doing it wrong". There are so many other shortcuts to do this. Jump list, pinning, create a group for those you call the most, voice dialing, etc.
    Last edited by oldpueblo; 04-08-2012 at 01:00 PM.
    04-07-2012 08:30 PM
    You can set up a group of people, up to 30 I believe. Or you can set up another live account and just input the contacts of the people you would call. I ended up setting up another live account when I got my first wp7 phone as a way to simplify my contacts.

Also, Nokia has that transfer contacts app that allows you to transfer contacts using bluetooth. Might be an option if you are trying to import off a different phone.
    04-07-2012 11:43 PM
    This was the thing that almost made me give up WP on day one. Actually, after about hour one.

What I did was use an alternate Live email address (Xbox Live, etc) that I didn't have any contacts stored in. Use that to sign in when setting up the phone, then add your primary account and filter contacts as outlined above from your primary Live account. You can basically import the contacts from your one Live account, then "de-sync" that account from the phone and delete what you don't want to keep...your second Live account will then have a "clean" contact list.

I did the same for email, linking my primary Hotmail account with the Mail app while also linking my secondary Live account--but not transferring any contacts.

Well, it's easier to do than describe, but hopefully that gets you on the path of old school contacts :)
    04-08-2012 12:30 AM
    Good idea on the new hotmail account, i think i'll try that.
    04-08-2012 09:44 AM
    Added hotmail account that matches my msn acount.
    That was a great idea, basically that made the phone exactly how i wanted it.

Thanks for the advice.
    04-09-2012 07:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD