Wifi issue?

pderosa

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
Got the phone yesterday and was using it a lot to set everything up so I did not think anything of battery draining. I had an issue where sometimes when I woke the phone up and tried to use an app connected through wifi, I was not getting internet access. I power cycled the phone and wifi worked fine. This morning, after fully charging the phone, I went to use it and had the same wifi connection issue. A check of another phone confirmed that my wifi and internet access were working properly. A couple hours later I went back to the phone and again had the wifi issue and noted that the battery had drained about 15% in 2 hours from coming off the charger with little use.

I am charging the phone again and now have wifi off to see if this is the major drain on the battery or something else.

Is anyone else seeing issues with the wifi? I did read on review where they noted they had some wifi issues where they needed to reset the phone. I will be going out this afternoon and hopefully I will see better battery life.

Aside from this issue the phone is GREAT! The operating system is very polished, the screen looks very crisp and clear, and the speed that it loads apps and obtains information is all spot on.

kos4r

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
Also have wifi problem

My lumia 900 is having the same WiFi problem with airport extreme. Doesn't connect after sleep. Turning WiFi on and off does not fox problem. Haven't tried power cycling. Really disappointing, don't wanna get reach att's data cap and get throttled

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
I've noticed a few times myself that the Wifi connection seems to stop working after a short period. Haven't been able to put my finger on a cause yet, but it seems to fix itself temporarily after cycling the Wifi off and on again.

Still, it's really frustrating because I've missed a ton of IMs until hours later because of it.

Gaiking

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
WiFi actually shuts off after a few minutes of sleep on WP7. and the phone reverts to cell data...I believe the iPhone works the same way. Android you can set the sleep policy to stay active when the phone sleeps but Windows Phone doesn't have that ability. ....at least to my knowledge.

Sent from my T8788 using Board Express

dbgman

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
A common trick is to only allow g or n on your WiFi router. It will connect quicker. Turn off b if you can.

All your devices will work better.

Sent from my Htc Titan using Board Express

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
No connection problems with my Linksys E4200 at home and whatever we have at the office (off brand). Both set to B, G & N. Have only turned my WiFi off a few times to check LTE speeds with Bandwidth. Otherwise WiFi has been on since Friday and connects as soon as I wake the phone.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

fogel35

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
What would be really helpful is a no sleep option for wifi. It probably uses more battery attempting to reconnect every time than it would if left on while the phone sleeps.

unity04

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Has this issue been resolved by any chance?

When browsing on your phone and connected to WiFi without putting the phone to sleep, does it hold the WiFi connection without dropping it?

Also, when you do put the phone to sleep, it drops the WiFi, correct? Does this happen on all of the Lumia 900s?

Lastly, you said that when you resume the phone from sleep it says no data connection.. but if it switches to cellular data won't you have a connection?

I'm planning on buying this phone but if the WiFi doesn't work then I have to reconsider

elvisff

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
I think it is going to be a firmware issue. My phone will all of a sudden show zero bandwidth through wifi, but cycling off the wifi will fix it. This all occurs while I have been in the middle of performing a task, such as opening a webpage. The phone has not been a sleep prior to it happening for quite a while. My focus never did this, and non of my other wifi dependent devices do it, so it is phone specific.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
I think the same thing, that we'll need to wait for a firmware fix. If someone could check their GPS when their Wifi stops working like this too, I'd be curious to know if you're able to get a lock, because I was having trouble with my GPS a couple times yesterday as well.

pderosa

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
As an update, I did not have the issue again for the rest of the weekend or Monday. I also determined that it was not the wifi that was causing a battery issue, but my 3g Microcell. There is some incompatibility between Windows Phone and the Microcell. The only fix for now appears to be turning off cellular data when I am on it.

PhilR8

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site
Got the phone yesterday and was using it a lot to set everything up so I did not think anything of battery draining. I had an issue where sometimes when I woke the phone up and tried to use an app connected through wifi, I was not getting internet access. I power cycled the phone and wifi worked fine. This morning, after fully charging the phone, I went to use it and had the same wifi connection issue. A check of another phone confirmed that my wifi and internet access were working properly. A couple hours later I went back to the phone and again had the wifi issue and noted that the battery had drained about 15% in 2 hours from coming off the charger with little use.

I am charging the phone again and now have wifi off to see if this is the major drain on the battery or something else.

Is anyone else seeing issues with the wifi? I did read on review where they noted they had some wifi issues where they needed to reset the phone. I will be going out this afternoon and hopefully I will see better battery life.

Aside from this issue the phone is GREAT! The operating system is very polished, the screen looks very crisp and clear, and the speed that it loads apps and obtains information is all spot on.
Sad to say I am experiencing a similar issue. Device wakes up after sleep, reconnects to wi-fi network, and then either is very slow to load a webpage or update the people hub, or will not load/update content at all. Soft reset appears to fix the problem. I had to do this twice yesterday after not having an issue at all Friday through Sunday.

Nov 29, 2008
Visit site
As an update, I did not have the issue again for the rest of the weekend or Monday. I also determined that it was not the wifi that was causing a battery issue, but my 3g Microcell. There is some incompatibility between Windows Phone and the Microcell. The only fix for now appears to be turning off cellular data when I am on it.
I'm having the same issue and I replaced the first phone. The second phone took 10 hours to die (battery) without using it at all. I have a Microcell and suspected that could be impacting it. ATT says nope. How did you determine that it is your Microcell?

krayziehustler

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site

it's definitely the Micro Cell and it is NOT a WP issue, in fact the WP OS handles it better than Android...i have a Samsung Galaxy S 2 on my micro cell and the user tells me he gets 5 hours!!! of total battery life when he is connected so I had to take him off

my Titan also experienced some drain but only slightly, it would have 40% left at the end of 11 hour work day, my lumia gets about 50% in that same period

without the Micro Cell my lumia can go 2 days without charging

Nov 29, 2008
Visit site
it's definitely the Micro Cell and it is NOT a WP issue, in fact the WP OS handles it better than Android...i have a Samsung Galaxy S 2 on my micro cell and the user tells me he gets 5 hours!!! of total battery life when he is connected so I had to take him off

my Titan also experienced some drain but only slightly, it would have 40% left at the end of 11 hour work day, my lumia gets about 50% in that same period

without the Micro Cell my lumia can go 2 days without charging
I have a Galaxy Note that gets outstanding battery life while on the Microcell...while the Lumia drains very quickly. I'll try turning off the Microcell as an experiment...although I'm not certain I can get a signal without it. I feel like battery life is good away from home/office...which tells me it is, indeed, the Microcell.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
It has nothing to do with the microcell here, since I don't have one. Personally, I think that there's something weird going on in the handoff between Wifi (which is only on when the screen is on) and cellular connections (which it uses when the screen is off). By turning off the cellular radio, your phone is forced to only use Wifi, which means that this handoff isn't occurring.

The reason I suspect it has to do with this is because of the other issues I've been having with the screen off. Intermittently the buttons (camera button, volume buttons, headset button) don't work when the screen is off, so I'd have to imagine that there's something in the firmware causing issues in this 'sleep' state.

aaronchow

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
It has nothing to do with the microcell here, since I don't have one. Personally, I think that there's something weird going on in the handoff between Wifi (which is only on when the screen is on) and cellular connections (which it uses when the screen is off). By turning off the cellular radio, your phone is forced to only use Wifi, which means that this handoff isn't occurring.

The reason I suspect it has to do with this is because of the other issues I've been having with the screen off. Intermittently the buttons (camera button, volume buttons, headset button) don't work when the screen is off, so I'd have to imagine that there's something in the firmware causing issues in this 'sleep' state.

Agreed. I also don't have the microcell, and I'm experiencing the same "no-data" issue with my work's WiFi and my home's WiFi.

I've created a thread at the Nokia's official discussion forum, and I hope they will bring us a fix soon. It is annoying to soft-reset the WiFi everything my phone goes to sleep...

Nokia Support Discussions - Lumia 900 Wifi Problem? - Nokia Support Discussions

slick5150

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
My problem doesn't seem quite the same as other's here. My phone will lose connection to the WiFi router when it goes to sleep (which is normal) but when I wake up it simply won't automatically reconnect. If I go to the WiFi settings and tap the network it will connect fine then and works until it sleeps again (instead of automatically reconnecting).

This worked fine on my HTC Arrive, so it isn't a WP7 issue, it's something to do with this phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium