Wifi issue?

Elephantman

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed a few times myself that the Wifi connection seems to stop working after a short period. Haven't been able to put my finger on a cause yet, but it seems to fix itself temporarily after cycling the Wifi off and on again.

Still, it's really frustrating because I've missed a ton of IMs until hours later because of it.

Just try to disable the data connection if you using wifi.
This workaround works for HTC devices for 6 months now.
I'm using an HTC HD7 and live with this wifi problem since nov 11.

wizll

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
My problem doesn't seem quite the same as other's here. My phone will lose connection to the WiFi router when it goes to sleep (which is normal) but when I wake up it simply won't automatically reconnect. If I go to the WiFi settings and tap the network it will connect fine then and works until it sleeps again (instead of automatically reconnecting).

This worked fine on my HTC Arrive, so it isn't a WP7 issue, it's something to do with this phone.
i think i've been experiencing similar issues where after the wifi connects, there seems to be intermittent connection issues when trying to make any type of web request. I would be able to load a page, but then a few seconds later, it'll be unable to load a page or retrieve any content from any app anymore. this never happened with my htc arrive, and I still have that phone on the wifi and it works fine in the same spots where the lumia isn't working.

I'm also hoping that the announced fix will also fix this issue. if not, i'll have to consider it a hardware defect and visit a store for a replacement.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
The update didn't fix it for me. Nobody has any stock right now, so I guess I'm stuck with it until stores get more... though I still find it hard to believe that it could be a hardware issue when flipping wifi off and on again temporarily fixes it.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
I just did a device reset after the update and I haven't seen the issue yet. Here's hoping it stays fixed, though of course it's a pain to lose all my game saves and settings for every app.

Edit: Wishful thinking, as it just happened again.

Last edited:

dblake15

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
I am streaming music via Zune pass with a 4g WiFi puck and music goes in and out sporadically. I disable WiFi and it works fine. Is this part of the WiFi issue? It just started happening to me.

JetLife87

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm having problems where I just lost wifi internet, then it will come back a little bit later, then I will lose it again. The phone is connected but the webpages are just super slow or don't load.

I didn't really have any data problems before, the at&t connection got faster, but it looks like it is at the expense of my home wifi connection.

textomatic

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
So a while back we got a Kindle Fire and it wouldn't connect to my home WiFi. Long story short, it wasn't compatible with my wireless router even though the router was b/g/n. So those of you that are having problems connecting to your WiFi I suggest that you try connecting to another WiFi that has a different router to double check its not your router or some kind of router incompatibility.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
So a while back we got a Kindle Fire and it wouldn't connect to my home WiFi. Long story short, it wasn't compatible with my wireless router even though the router was b/g/n. So those of you that are having problems connecting to your WiFi I suggest that you try connecting to another WiFi that has a different router to double check its not your router or some kind of router incompatibility.

Yeah, router issues are possible, but I've got 3 different open Wifi networks (a Linksys b/g/n, a Netgear b/g, and a Linksys b/g) I've tried connecting to besides my own, and other devices connect to those fine with no bandwidth issues, but the Lumia has problems on all three.

aaronchow

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site

I tried it with my work, my school and my neighbor's wifi and I am still having problems with the update. I just gave up and disable wifi every time I turn it off. It is a hassle, but at least I don't have to worry about the connection when I need it to work. But thanks for your suggestion.

TMavC5

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Has this issue been resolved by any chance?

When browsing on your phone and connected to WiFi without putting the phone to sleep, does it hold the WiFi connection without dropping it?

Also, when you do put the phone to sleep, it drops the WiFi, correct? Does this happen on all of the Lumia 900s?

Lastly, you said that when you resume the phone from sleep it says no data connection.. but if it switches to cellular data won't you have a connection?

I'm planning on buying this phone but if the WiFi doesn't work then I have to reconsider

No wi-fi issue here. DLink 825 router, and multiple AccessPoint through out the house.

toasterthegamer

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
If my phone is charging, or even if its not there should be these options under wifi:

Turn off with phone.
Keep on when charging.
Always on.

Seriously these aren't hard features to add..

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
So out of curiosity is there anyone who had this issue who has swapped out their device for a replacement which doesn't have the issue now?

I assume everyone else is waiting for AT&T to get more in stock as well, but just checking. It'd be great if we could definitely say that it's a hardware issue or not. Doesn't seem like one to me, but you never know, I guess.

PhilR8

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site
So out of curiosity is there anyone who had this issue who has swapped out their device for a replacement which doesn't have the issue now?

I assume everyone else is waiting for AT&T to get more in stock as well, but just checking. It'd be great if we could definitely say that it's a hardware issue or not. Doesn't seem like one to me, but you never know, I guess.

I'm very interested in this as well. The WiFi issue has really been irritating me lately, to the point where I just keep WiFi off and use LTE. I'm really fortunate that I'm in an LTE coverage area, I guess, since it's even faster than my home connection, and that the heavens that Nokia finally got the 3G/LTE data bug fixed ahead of schedule or else I'd really screwed.

Ideally, though, WiFi is what I'd like to use for many reasons: first and foremost so I don't destroy my AT&T data allowance. But also important: battery life seems to suffer on LTE when I'm doing a lot of browsing, especially when compared to WiFi.

I know other folks have been wrestling with WiFi issues for months, but I never had any WiFi issues with my HTC Arrive. Multiple laptops, Kindle Fires, regular Kindles, and Android phones use my WiFi network without any issues. My Lumia 900 is the only device that is having a problem. I've also experienced this problem on the WiFi at work.

So if anyone exchanges their device to see if it fixes this specific issue, I'd really like to know what happens. Thanks.

Haklong

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
I did a hard reset and that fixed my issue for awhile. I then went to a 4G area (away from Bostons LTE) and the wifi still worked. When i got back to Boston I noticed that my phone says 4G instead of LTE. I reboot then phone and LTE comes back but the wifi starts acting up. If I shut off the data the wifi works perfectly. This morning I go back to my office that is located in a 4G area and the wifi here works perfect even with the data connection on. I wonder if this is an issue with LTE and Wifi being on at the same time.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
To be honest, I'm even more convinced now that this is a software problem. I've spent the last four hours with Wifi on, and LTE/cellular off and Wifi works perfectly the whole time as well.

aaronchow

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I just swap my phone (for another reason) and I am still having this issue. But I am kind of used to turning off data and turn on WiFi at this point now :-S

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss