Wifi issue?

hellomiggy

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Here is my dilema, when I am at work I use my computer as a hotspot. When I get home, it connects and all that good stuff. Now when I turn it off for a couple of minutes. Its fine... Now i play with it, and i try going on the net. It just doesn't connect to my WiFi. It connected a second ago, now it doesn't.

wizll

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
same symptoms as others have mentioned.
LTE + wifi on = crappy, unresponsive, barely works
CELL Network OFF + wifi on = blazingly fast

it makes absolutely no sense that I need to turn off my cell service in order to get reliable wifi connectivity. part of the reason for having wifi and cell on the same phone is that my data goes through the wifi pipe and my SMS and phone calls come in as normal through my cell service.

I have never had this problem with the HTC Arrive.

I hope this is a software issue and not a hardware issue where the placement of the LTE and wifi radios are interfering with each other.

I would also like to know if anyone has had any success in getting a replacement that doesn't have this issue, as it would help save me some time from going to an AT&T store and wasting time there if it's an issue with all phones.

toyotast165

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
no where's near lte. The update didn't fix my WiFi issues, but did fix the data over cellular, spoke with Nokia and at&t, they told me to reload the device, no dice. Still same issue. Thought it was my router,till I tried airplane mode and bam, WiFi works perfect. Can't get calls but, I'm sure this will get fixed quickly

rdifiori

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
no where's near lte. The update didn't fix my WiFi issues, but did fix the data over cellular, spoke with Nokia and at&t, they told me to reload the device, no dice. Still same issue. Thought it was my router,till I tried airplane mode and bam, WiFi works perfect. Can't get calls but, I'm sure this will get fixed quickly
Instead of turning off cell service altogether (e.g., airplane mode), does it help to just turn off data service only?

mihesq

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
never had this issue before the update, or at least I didn't really notice it. but since the update it's a daily occurrence. My 4G will switch to edge when I'm on wifi, and the wifi will not work. Other times it shows 4G and wifi but nothing works.

Now it also shows no service with wifi on but not connected to wifi. But heres the kicker, I was still able to access the internet with no service showing and no connection to wifi.

If Nokia doesn't address this issue, this phone might to going back.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
So I'm starting to get pretty close to the end of my 30 day return period (only a week and a half left). I'm thinking I might have to swap out the phone just for piece of mind even if it is a software issue.

I wonder if there's something common with all of us who have the issue though.

My Router settings:

802.11g/n, (2.4GHz), WPA2, AES encryption, channel 6. I also live in an LTE area, so whenever I'm using Wifi there's also LTE available.

However, I've also had the issue on two unprotected networks 802.11b/g networks as well.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
It's been about 15 hours now since I swapped out my device, and haven't had the issue yet. I'll be sure to give another update after more time, but you might want to consider doing the same just in case if your 30 days are up soon as well.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Update: I swapped out my phone at something like 6PM Friday, and went all weekend and all work day Monday with no issues whatsoever with connectivity.

I'm pretty convinced that the problem is fixed, I think. I wouldn't wait around until after your return period is up if you're having this issue. I know it's a pain to reinstall all your apps, and you lose settings and game saves, but still.

PhilR8

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site
Update: I swapped out my phone at something like 6PM Friday, and went all weekend and all work day Monday with no issues whatsoever with connectivity.

I'm pretty convinced that the problem is fixed, I think. I wouldn't wait around until after your return period is up if you're having this issue. I know it's a pain to reinstall all your apps, and you lose settings and game saves, but still.

Wow, interesting. Maybe I'll swap mine out after all.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Wow, interesting. Maybe I'll swap mine out after all.

To me, it was worth it just because of the peace of mind. Maybe it still is a software issue that just hasn't been triggered in the new phone yet, but I'd rather replace it and not need to than not replace it and miss my opportunity.

baileystein

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I too have noticed this with my Belkin N900. It works (and connects very fast), but when you go into an app or something it just hiccups and then says no data.

danwc

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I, too, was having data connectivity issues where I lost data when out and it wouldn't connect once back home or in another hotspot. Ironically no problems till I applied the update. But swapping phone cured all data issues. Definitely swap.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

PhilR8

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site
I went ahead and swapped my device. Went to the AT&T store this evening after work and a very helpful rep exchanged my device without issue. Took ten minutes.

I go to my car and run some errands. At some point I'm sitting in my car just playing with the new 900 and what do I see? THE SCREEN IS PURPLE. Not only that, but the camera button is also being finicky when I try to launch the camera when the device is asleep.

Sigh. WiFi seems to work well, though. Knock on wood, anyway. So I went from one set of problems to another. Thanks, Nokia.

elvisff

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
I also replaced my Lumia 900 because of the Wifi issue a couple days ago and haven't had a problem since. If your randomly quits transmitting data, exchange your phone. On the positive side the AT&T rep told me that the Lumias were selling very well and mine was the only one he had gotten back so far.... :)

wizll

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Nokia Support Discussions - Re: Lumia 900 WiFi Problem? - Page 4 - Nokia Support Discussions
latest discovery and testing we've been doing over at the nokia forums.

This user is currently testing a theory with regard to internet sharing being the culprit in causing wifi being finicky when cell data is on. He has hard resetted his phone without turning on Internet Sharing and has gone almost a week now without any issues. His next test will be to turn on IS and use it then turn it off and see how wifi/cell data on behaves after IS had been turned on once.

For me, I have used IS, and have had this issue since 4/6. the current poll on wpcentral definitely does tell us something though. it told us that there are people out there that do not have the problem and these are likely the people who do not pay the extra $20 for Internet Sharing or have not used it. And while not yet confirmed yet, the ones affected seem to be the ones paying $20 to have our phones gimped.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Correct. Launching Internet Sharing does appear to be the trigger to cause WiFi issues. I haven't opened the menu, and also have no WiFi issues. Not positive proof, but good enough for me. Lots of discussion over at XDA-Developers with the same conclusion.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

dirtbound

Jan 25, 2012
Visit site
Correct. Launching Internet Sharing does appear to be the trigger to cause WiFi issues. I haven't opened the menu, and also have no WiFi issues. Not positive proof, but good enough for me. Lots of discussion over at XDA-Developers with the same conclusion.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

@jimski:

I'm the user at Nokia's forums that was doing the week long test... Nokia Support Discussions - Lumia 900 Wifi Problem? - Page 5 - Nokia Support Discussions

This is the video I made: Nokia Lumia 900 WiFi Data Problems related to Internet Sharing - YouTube

And this is acknowledgment from @NokiaCareUS that they are looking into the problem: https://twitter.com/NokiaCareUS/status/216226860399460353

Let's hope for a quick resolution.

msualum

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site
push data and auto gps info - not working

starting late last week my rss feeds and weather and other things that are supposed to update automatically - stopped. The apps (weatherlive, weather master, rss central, and more) are all set up to update the live tile - with live information and none of them are functioning!!! I removed all of the apps that use the live tile and only had weather and phone on the home screen - still nothing. went into settings and disabled all of the background apps then restarted the one i wanted - nothing. uninstalled and reinstalled - nothing. do i need to wipe the phone to reset whatever went out of whack?

dirtbound

Jan 25, 2012
Visit site
starting late last week my rss feeds and weather and other things that are supposed to update automatically - stopped. The apps (weatherlive, weather master, rss central, and more) are all set up to update the live tile - with live information and none of them are functioning!!! I removed all of the apps that use the live tile and only had weather and phone on the home screen - still nothing. went into settings and disabled all of the background apps then restarted the one i wanted - nothing. uninstalled and reinstalled - nothing. do i need to wipe the phone to reset whatever went out of whack?

This issue seems a little off topic... But to answer your question, Yes... I believe the only way to resolve the "Non updating Live tile" problem is to perform a Reset on your device.

I was having this problem with the Weather Flow and My Stocks Portfolio apps prior to my last reset and everything has been working fine since the wipe.

Good luck.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte