Lumia 900 on Straight Talk

moc426

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
I purchased the Lumia 900 from amazon without contract, it will arrive tomorrow, I have a micro sim that I ordered from straight talk and will be trying it all out tomorrow.

Does anyone have any experience with straight talk, I have never used them, and I understand it needs some settings to work. Hoping it is pretty straight forward.

Anything I should expect? I will be taking the device to the mall to have an invisishield installed on it before using it. This will be my first windows phone.

Last edited:

rkremers

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I purchased the Lumia 900 from amazon without contract, it will arrive tomorrow, I have a micro sim that I ordered from straight talk and will be trying it all out tomorrow.

Does anyone have any experience with straight talk, I have never used them, and I understand it needs some settings to work. Hoping it is pretty straight forward.

Anything I should expect? I will be taking the device to the mall to have an invisishield installed on it before using it. This will be my first windows phone.
I don't have experience with it myself, but saw a guy on twitter tweeting Friday that he was using a 900 on Straight Talk. He said everything worked but MMS messages.

There are a few threads on the 800 forum about Straight Talk. Some report just throwing the SIM in and being good to go (minus MMS) and others have reported data issues from the get go, but the data issues can the fixed. See these threads

http://forums.windowscentral.com/lumia-800/189373.htm

http://forums.windowscentral.com/lumia-800/188941.htm

I have a friend who my be able to get me a free Lumia 900, and if that happens, I'm going to try Straight Talk out, so I've been doing some reading. I hope it all works out for you. Report back, when you get it setup!

moc426

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
Have my lumia, have data and phone working on straight talk, can't get MMS to work because there is no settings for mms on windows phone. From what I read I need an app called network setup from nokia which has been pulled from marketplace. Hopefully I can resolve this soon, no idea why its pulled.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Have my lumia, have data and phone working on straight talk, can't get MMS to work because there is no settings for mms on windows phone. From what I read I need an app called network setup from nokia which has been pulled from marketplace. Hopefully I can resolve this soon, no idea why its pulled.

You're only getting 4G (HSPA) not LTE right? Just curious.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
How can I tell? I downloaded an app called bandwidth to check speed. It says 4.00Mbps for download and 0.63Mbps for upload on first test, 3.29 and .31 on 2nd test. It's not LTE speeds.

Nope, you're only getting 2G/Edge speeds since Straight Talk is a T-Mobile MVNO (uses T-Mobile's 3G band), not AT&T's. You'd need to go with an AT&T MVNO like Red Pocket or Jolt in order to take advantage of 3G and HSPA data speeds.

Of course, either way you'll also have to do without MMS messaging until the Network Setup app is back online.

I'm currently using a Lumia 800 with Red Pocket. Luckily I downloaded the Network Setup app before it was taken down. I get 2GB of 3G and HSPA data speeds, unlimited talk and text for $60/month.

Eat it, AT&T! :p

slick5150

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Nope, you're only getting 2G/Edge speeds since Straight Talk is a T-Mobile MVNO (uses T-Mobile's 3G band), not AT&T's. You'd need to go with an AT&T MVNO like Red Pocket or Jolt in order to take advantage of 3G and HSPA data speeds.

Of course, either way you'll also have to do without MMS messaging until the Network Setup app is back online.

I'm currently using a Lumia 800 with Red Pocket. Luckily I downloaded the Network Setup app before it was taken down. I get 2GB of 3G and HSPA data speeds, unlimited talk and text for $60/month.

Incorrect. Straight Talk uses AT&T's network, not T-Mobiles, so you can get 3G speeds with an AT&T phone on their network.

moc426

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
I thought it uses At&t. The apn settings are att.mvno

Speeds seem fine to me either way, and I am usually on wifi. I prepaid for 3 months so it comes out to about $45 a month including taxes.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Slick5150 and moc426, you're right. I read this in another thread then researched for myself again. I stand corrected. Although, I'm reading some horror stories about people being kicked off for using too much data (usually about 2GB). Still, I think I'll be ordering a Lumia 900 (probably wait for the unlocked, unbranded version) and switching to StraightTalk.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
How can I tell? I downloaded an app called bandwidth to check speed. It says 4.00Mbps for download and 0.63Mbps for upload on first test, 3.29 and .31 on 2nd test. It's not LTE speeds.

I think in the status bar next to the signal, it'll say either 4G or LTE. 4G is just HSPA+, while LTE is... well LTE.

But yeah, seems like you don't have LTE, which is what I expected.

wesleyaguilar2011

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

how did you get the phone from amazon without contract? , and so it works with straight talk?? and do you need a micro sim card to work? it doesnt use the regular sim card slot?

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
You take out your credit card and allow Amazon to charge you the requisite amount for the phone.

It works on ST sans MMS. And yes it takes a ST microSIM.

moc426

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
Lumia 900 Black
Right hand side, click on Replacement phone, Phone only (no contract changes). Price is 450 now, I bought it when it was 499.99.

I ordered microsim from straight talk for att phone and popped that in. It works, you need to set the apn value in settings and that should do it. Only MMS doesn't work currently, still waiting on Nokia's network setup app.

how did you get the phone from amazon without contract? , and so it works with straight talk?? and do you need a micro sim card to work? it doesnt use the regular sim card slot?

azedi

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
I have contacted straight talk and there are quite a few limitations.
They said that it is prohibited to stream music and video but is that without limitations or with limitations.

feedmylittletroll

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
They said that it is prohibited to stream music and video but is that without limitations or with limitations.

There are long discussions on other forums about this but the consensus is you get unlimited talk, text and about 2gb for $45 and you get the same coverage as post paid ATT customers. Yes there are limitations, but you pay half of what a post paid ATT customer does so you should expect some limitations

TheBDub11

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site

Woops!

I've been using MetroRadio Pro and YouTube since I got the phone on the 9th, and I havent been shut off yet. YMMV of course depending on how much streaming you actually do. I've heard 100MB/day or 2GB/month is a pretty standard limit for them so don't do it too much.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb