AT&T does no favors to existing customers

saintforlife

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
My wife is eligible for an upgrade on May 1st. I called them yesterday to see if we could get an early upgrade for her so she could buy the Lumia 900 today. No dice...The person said we could buy it off contract if we wanted to now and that we have to wait till May 1st to get the $99 price.

Oh well...you would think that AT&T would be doing everything to sell as many of these Nokias as possible to customers, right being that it is their 'hero' phone and all? But I guess they don't really care or the rest of the employees don't share the vision of the executives.

cwmont13

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
Did you call a local corporate ATT store or ATT Customer Service? I've done early upgrades at local corporate stores and usually never had a problem if I was only 30 or so days from my upgrade date.

One time I did ask for a manager because they said no. There was a Verizon store across the street and I pointed out that I could easily walk over there get a better phone than my current ATT phone. also reminded them that ATT had sent me a mailer about upgrading and that's why I was in their store. Manager said they would do the early upgrade after I told them all that.

saintforlife

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
Did you call a local corporate ATT store or ATT Customer Service?
I called 611. I guess that is the main corporate line. I will try to go to a local store and see if I can talk to a manager or something.

Also any chance that the AT&T store matches Amazon/Target upgrade price of $20?

cwmont13

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
I called 611. I guess that is the main corporate line. I will try to go to a local store and see if I can talk to a manager or something.

Also any chance that the AT&T store matches Amazon/Target upgrade price of $20?

My guess is there's no way ATT will match that price but it's worth a try. Maybe doing it online with Amazon might be the way to go?

Beacio_mo

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
I haven't had luck getting an AT&T store to budge on the price. I showed them Walmart, Target, and Radioshacks online prices and they just shrugged their shoulders

DocSc00teR

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I called Customer Support (had to get past the first guy who answered the call and have it escalated to some other department) to discuss the vast difference in pricing between AT&T Retail Stores and other outlets, as well as the promos that apparently some corporate stores are offering (*ahem*... north central region), while others are not. I expressed my growing frustration in the decline of "loyalty" incentives. We had a good long chat. Very professional, but very blunt and factual. In the end, let's just say that AT&T has taken good care of me. Really good care of me. Far better than I would have received from any other vendor.

It never hurts to ask...

saintforlife

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
I called Customer Support (had to get past the first guy who answered the call and have it escalated to some other department) to discuss the vast difference in pricing between AT&T Retail Stores and other outlets, as well as the promos that apparently some corporate stores are offering (*ahem*... north central region), while others are not. I expressed my growing frustration in the decline of "loyalty" incentives. We had a good long chat. Very professional, but very blunt and factual. In the end, let's just say that AT&T has taken good care of me. Really good care of me. Far better than I would have received from any other vendor.

It never hurts to ask...
So you want to tell us what you got? Free phone? Free data for 6 months?

Last edited:

MikeInBA

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Question - are they any long lines of people at AT&T Wireless stores to get the Lumia 900?

Not a chance. Its not iPhone.

RE: OP
That sucks, but my experience was almost the opposite. I wasnt eligible for upgrade till November. I went in expecting to pay out of contract price, but the sales guys couldnt figure out how to let me pre-order it without giving me the discount. So i got it for $99

mentalcase

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
For those who the corporate store wouldn't match radioshack/target's price, did you ever think about just going to the retailer and buying the phone there? I deal with target on a regular basis and usually the staff in those locations are top notch, know there stuff, and are just great. Plus you get the same return policy and warranty as if the phone was purchased in a corporate store.

pezman726

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Plus you get the same return policy and warranty as if the phone was purchased in a corporate store.

so... If I get it at target and the phone dies, where do I take it? Within 30 days back to target, after that to my corporate att repair center? I'm just confused because I've never bought a phone outside of a corporate store.

dangish

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
You people are fickle. You sign a 2 year agreement for a discount on the phone. If the date of upgrade isn't until May, you can upgrade May 1st. They're already giving you a huge discount on an already discounted subsidized phone. You go to another retailer, they can't upgrade you until the date you're eligible, no sooner. Some AT&Ts will match the competitors price. Warranty within 30days is with the store you got it from, some have 15 day warranty, there's still a 1 year manufacturer warranty regardless.

Be courteous. People in retail sales are people just like you. Talk to, not at sales reps. Sometimes the reasons reps end up not caring are because of people like you who run in there and DEMAND everything. 9/10 times you'll get what you want, only because they're tired of your crap. Just remember, if you act insane, expect something insane to happen.

This is what we call a First World Problem.

Fleon

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
My wife is eligible for an upgrade on May 1st. I called them yesterday to see if we could get an early upgrade for her so she could buy the Lumia 900 today. No dice...The person said we could buy it off contract if we wanted to now and that we have to wait till May 1st to get the $99 price.

Oh well...you would think that AT&T would be doing everything to sell as many of these Nokias as possible to customers, right being that it is their 'hero' phone and all? But I guess they don't really care or the rest of the employees don't share the vision of the executives.

AT&T is hit or miss. Take me for example. I had 2 lines that were not eligible for an upgrade til November and I got them to give me an early up for both of them.

chrise2

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
If you reason with them, they'll let you upgrade early. Say, "I can pay $200 for a new phone from Verizon and pay the $100 termination fee (1 month left on contract), and still be saving $150 as oppsed to staying with AT&T and paying full price for this phone"

But like other people said, don't be an ***. AT&T will surely stay in business without you as a customer. Don't act like they need you.

mentalcase

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
so... If I get it at target and the phone dies, where do I take it? Within 30 days back to target, after that to my corporate att repair center? I'm just confused because I've never bought a phone outside of a corporate store.

Yea, within 30 days you bring it back to the retailer. After 30 days you have two options either bring it to an AT&T device support center or call up warranty over the phone.

You would be surprised how the pricing is compared to the corporate stores.

wasonamit

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Yea, within 30 days you bring it back to the retailer. After 30 days you have two options either bring it to an AT&T device support center or call up warranty over the phone.

You would be surprised how the pricing is compared to the corporate stores.

This is incorrect, if you buy from target you have 14 days to return the phone and revert back to the old contract. I am not sure if there is a re-stocking fee.

Also Target offers a Accidental Protection plan for $69.99 and it covers everything except water damage for a NEW PHONE not REFURB. Best of all NO DEDUCTIBlE.

I haven't signed up for it yet, but I have 30 days from the date of purchase and I am seriously considering it.

mentalcase

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
This is incorrect, if you buy from target you have 14 days to return the phone and revert back to the old contract. I am not sure if there is a re-stocking fee.

Also Target offers a Accidental Protection plan for $69.99 and it covers everything except water damage for a NEW PHONE not REFURB. Best of all NO DEDUCTIBlE.

I haven't signed up for it yet, but I have 30 days from the date of purchase and I am seriously considering it.

I may have been off with the return policy, but I know for sure that Target does not charge a restocking fee. Also, I believe their protection plan does not cover lost/stolen, so I would look into it more before purchasing.

wasonamit

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I may have been off with the return policy, but I know for sure that Target does not charge a restocking fee. Also, I believe their protection plan does not cover lost/stolen, so I would look into it more before purchasing.

I specifically asked for Lost and Stolen and the agent said it is covered....

loribinca

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
I got mine for the $99 price at a corp store in Cali, and I was not up on my contract. I believe it still had a few more months to run .. feminine charm? ... possibly :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
babukapyar