Horrible experience with AT&T and Lumia 900

Oldmajor

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Let me start by saying I love Windows Phone OS. I bought 2 Lumia 900's and 1 has been defective from the start. Random power offs, Losing data connection anytime the phone is cut off, sometimes wont cut on after being powered off, etc. I figured my phone was probably a lemon because my second one works perfectly. I called AT&T yesterday (Easter) and they told me i could take it to a store a swap it out for a new one.

So I call the store I bought it and they tell me they are all out except for 2 cyan (I had 2 black ones) and that I can go to another store a swap phones. I call the other store and they say they have them in stock (only 3). However, when i arrive at the store 20 mins walk from my job, they tell me i can't swap them out there! THey absolutely refused. After spending a few minutes berating them and asking for a call to someone in corporate AT&T. They retreat to the back and come back and puts the other store (my original point of purchase on the line). The manager at that store apologizes and tells me they are in stock and they were just holding 2 black ones for a business customer, but that they just found out the business customer got theirs in the mail.

I walk back to the other AT&T store and finally got a replacement, total time took 1.5 hours!

I also noticed a few things:
1. THe stores I called (3 in total) both only had a small stock (less than 5-6 phones that came in)
2. Other people have experience the no data connectvity issue (even a sales rep says she lost data connection after she powered her phone off)
3. They took atleast 6 calls about the Lumia 900 while I was in the store but told every caller they had a very limited stock..

chasvs

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
And that is your definition of a horrible experience? You must live a very protective life! Get over your little problem and grow up.:mad:

apoc527

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
Yea, I'm generally supportive of consumers with poor experiences, and while yours wasn't as clean as an Apple store (gotta hand it to Apple here), you are also trying to swap out a phone that seems to be in decently high demand on launch day. I would expect some hiccups like this and ultimately, you got your new phone.

(And also, though I don't think you were complaining about it, I'm sure there are always some lemons out there in any large production batch of basically any product.)

Oldmajor

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
And that is your definition of a horrible experience? You must live a very protective life! Get over your little problem and grow up.:mad:
The complaint is that AT&T has no idea how to handle support for this phone. As far as your comment about growing up, apart of growing up is making sure you get what you pay for and demand good service. If a store refuses to honor "the swap out" option that is horrible customer service. Secondly they have no idea about these phones, one rep told be that you could change the color of the phone becaus eboth blue and black are in the case.

For something that was explained to be simple (exchange your phone) then having to walk over 3 miles back and forth is a horrible experience. These things are not suppose to happen

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I swapped my phone out like you but had a better experience... Thstore was cool, but Apple it ain't lol. I waited in line for a guy to write all of his contacts down before they reset his phone... what? Apple give u a time slot and that's that... This guy should have been put to the side or had this done before he came....

RockPaperBFG

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
It is hard to see them being excited to swap out a phone that they are having problems keeping in stock because they are selling out. Obviously they should help you but they can't just use swapping the phone as the first troubleshooting step in that situation. Also, it is hard for them to really troubleshoot any issues with it being that new. No one really knows what problems would come up.

kenosando#AC

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I called AT&T about the issue, and apparently it is something on their end they were able to correct. I did some troubleshooting, then I was asked to reboot the phone. After reboot, then I opened up AT&T and verified I was connected then it was working.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Hate to piggy back, but yes there are much worse experiences that happen than that. BUT, I also do agree that they shouldnt say they have a phone for you to replace or defective phone with, only to say they don't have it. Then make you go back to where you were in the first place. Could be alot worse though. And you got your replacement that I hope is working fine and dandy.

Oldmajor

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Maybe you guys dont work, but I did this on my lunch break which is limited. They assured I would have no problem and sent me on a fools run which took away an hour from my job, after they deactivated the phone. I have been a customer for 3 days at that point and they were giving me the run around on something that should be simple. For me it was horrible because I left another carrier where i never had these problems and I may have been stuck with a phone that doesnt work, when you have a pregnant wife YOU NEED A PHONE.

You all can say whatever you want about my experience, but to me it was horrible customer service that they would honor a basic "buyer beware" program they told me they would. The fact that people think that a company not honoring their policy is perfectly normal is interesting at best

Toastmaster#CB

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Maybe you guys dont work, but I did this on my lunch break which is limited.
Not everyone who works punches a clock.

I may have been stuck with a phone that doesnt work, when you have a pregnant wife YOU NEED A PHONE.
Maybe you don't care, but I didn't screw around with my phone service when my wife was pregnant.

They assured I would have no problem and sent me on a fools run which took away an hour from my job, after they deactivated the phone. I have been a customer for 3 days at that point and they were giving me the run around on something that should be simple. For me it was horrible because I left another carrier where i never had these problems...
Did you go from one corporate store to another corporate store? The fact that they're flying an AT&T logo all over the place doesn't mean they're corporate.

Personally, I'd agree that it can be very confusing, when AT&T has virtually no requirement that third-party resellers differentiate themselves from "real" AT&T stores.

You all can say whatever you want about my experience, but to me it was horrible customer service that they would honor a basic "buyer beware" program they told me they would.
If you weren't doing corporate-to-corporate, it makes sense. Just like you can't walk in to a Verizon store to buy a new phone today, and then demand that WalMart replace your phone if it breaks tomorrow.

"After spending a few minutes berating them..."
No, not even if you berate them.

The fact that people think that a company not honoring their policy is perfectly normal is interesting at best
So's playing Mr. Bigshot when you're punching a clock on a Sunday, and think that berating an employee to get what you want is a reasonable course of action.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3