Screen Responsiveness (VIDEO)

peestandingup

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
I took this today at an AT&T store. Is anyone else completely puzzled why Nokia decided to make the screen responsiveness so harsh?? Yes, I understand that Samsung turns theirs up way high, but IMO thats how it should be. It should follow your thumb & finger a lot more accurately than what Nokia is doing.

d674f20e.mp4 video by peestandingup - Photobucket

And its not the screen size either. Like I said, the Focus S doesn't do this. Neither does my Titan or iPhone. Even crappy Androids I've tried aren't this bad, and that OS needs a jet engine to make it not run like poo.

Why are they doing this? Was the 800 & 710 this bad??

JPDVM2014

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
I can't watch the video till I get home. I think it's funny that a video uploaded from the Photobucket Iphone app needs flash to play. But anyway, my 900 has almost identical scroll speed to my HTC Trophy. It follows my finger perfectly. I prefer having it at that speed so I don't scroll past things I want to stop at.

krayziehustler

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I can't watch the video till I get home. I think it's funny that a video uploaded from the Photobucket Iphone app needs flash to play. But anyway, my 900 has almost identical scroll speed to my HTC Trophy. It follows my finger perfectly. I prefer having it at that speed so I don't scroll past things I want to stop at.

yeah its a feature not a bug

Los

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Yea I didn't think it was bad before when people spoke about it but now that I have it, you can really tell when playing games. The accuracy is way off. I remember Daniel showing off the phones touch sensitivity using a diagnostic app, and it was as if the touch was delayed with the line he was drawing following his finger a few millisecs behind. The Lumia 800 doesn't do it

Nokia Lumia 800 vs Lumia 900 - YouTube

apoc527

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
I've been reading the OP's rants about the Lumia's supposed screen responsiveness issues since before the phone was officially released. Having had the phone for 3 days now, I can say this:

Dude, I have no idea what you are talking about and can only include that you have a predisposition to hating this phone.

The phone scrolls perfectly well for me, at a plenty high enough speed. One decent flick with my thumb takes me all the way down to the bottom of my start screen. I would not want the screen to scroll any faster than it already does or it would become hard to stop it when I want to hit a live tile for something!

Grenzeloos

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm trying to figure this out my self. My Samsung Focus will zoom with the flick of my thumb, basically two swipes gets me from top to bottom. Now it takes ~4 swipes to do the same. If I use my finger it seems to be the same speed as my Focus. My wrist is a little sore, this phone is heavier then the Focus that's for sure, but way WAY more solid feeling!!!

@JPDVM2014- I share your pain, when I visit Smartphonebetatest.com Flash is needed to show my friends the Nokia commercials from my NL900.

peestandingup

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site

It doesn't need Flash to play. There's a mobile version of the video when using any HTML5 mobile browser (iPhone, Android, etc). I watched it in iOS Safari right before I posted it to make sure. If it says you need Flash then thats either a problem with your browser or the site not recognizing your device properly to serve up the mobile version.

I've been reading the OP's rants about the Lumia's supposed screen responsiveness issues since before the phone was officially released. Having had the phone for 3 days now, I can say this:

Dude, I have no idea what you are talking about and can only include that you have a predisposition to hating this phone.

The phone scrolls perfectly well for me, at a plenty high enough speed. One decent flick with my thumb takes me all the way down to the bottom of my start screen. I would not want the screen to scroll any faster than it already does or it would become hard to stop it when I want to hit a live tile for something!

Yeah, dude. I'm on a mission to destroy this phone? You didn't know?? I have it out for Nokia, and heck, the whole WP ecosystem.

Anyways, you should probably think again & look at my posting history. I've owned most of the WP phones thats ever been released, talk favorably about many of them, etc. Currently I have the Focus & Titan right here looking at me & they're not going anywhere. If I have a problem with the 900 its because of junk like this & the crappy camera. Thats my opinion (and many others it would seem). You don't have to agree with it, or read it for that matter. Move on to the next thread is all I can tell you.

And we're not talking about JUST scrolling. We're talking about accuracy. Its already been mentioned it behaves the same sluggish way in games. Its a responsiveness issue, not a scroll speed issue. Hence the title of the thread.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't think it's super harsh once you get used to it, but it is less responsive than it should be. The Lumia 800 for instance is considerably more responsive.

No phone has it all though. For instance you can rotate the screen in any direction on the 900, not so on the 800.

Los

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
And we're not talking about JUST scrolling. We're talking about accuracy. Its already been mentioned it behaves the same sluggish way in games. Its a responsiveness issue, not a scroll speed issue. Hence the title of the thread.

Yes, exactly what I was saying. It's definitely not a scroll issue. It's an accuracy issue. I can confirm my Lumia 900 has this issue. You can really feel it when playing a game like Dodonpachi Maximum. The battleship is far from where your finger is

peestandingup

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Yes, exactly what I was saying. It's definitely not a scroll issue. It's an accuracy issue. I can confirm my Lumia 900 has this issue. You can really feel it when playing a game like Dodonpachi Maximum. The battleship is far from where your finger is

Thank you for confirming. I have no idea what other people who are denying it are seeing, because I've played with 3 different ones so far & they were all like this. It's an issue for sure. Maybe not a BIG issue for some, but its def there.

apoc527

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
I can't replicate your video. You must have an incredibly light touch OR the phones at stores are so heavily used that there is such a layer of grime on the screens that it's blocking the capacitive signal somewhat. I just tried to do what I think you were doing with my own phone and it either opened the tile or thought I was holding it down and activated the "move/un-pin" interface. It wasn't scrolling very much, but if that's what you are talking about, I'm not sure how that's a problem. I don't exactly have to mash on the screen to get it to scroll as it is, and any lighter a touch would be very strange.

I haven't played many games (or at least not Dodonpachi Maximum), so I can't comment on how it feels in that scenario, but I'm having a hard time figuring out this concern.

The one thing I will say is that sometimes I hit the wrong key on the keyboard. So far, I'm chalking this up to not being used to the larger WP7 keyboard OR the larger device, but I suppose it could be the same issue that Los is describing.

As for your video, however, I'm just not sure what you are doing with it.

peestandingup

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
I can't replicate your video. You must have an incredibly light touch OR the phones at stores are so heavily used that there is such a layer of grime on the screens that it's blocking the capacitive signal somewhat. I just tried to do what I think you were doing with my own phone and it either opened the tile or thought I was holding it down and activated the "move/un-pin" interface. It wasn't scrolling very much, but if that's what you are talking about, I'm not sure how that's a problem. I don't exactly have to mash on the screen to get it to scroll as it is, and any lighter a touch would be very strange.

I haven't played many games (or at least not Dodonpachi Maximum), so I can't comment on how it feels in that scenario, but I'm having a hard time figuring out this concern.

The one thing I will say is that sometimes I hit the wrong key on the keyboard. So far, I'm chalking this up to not being used to the larger WP7 keyboard OR the larger device, but I suppose it could be the same issue that Los is describing.

As for your video, however, I'm just not sure what you are doing with it.

I'm not sure. I'm just using it normally here like I do everything else. Def not a light touch, but not mashing it either.

You can see however it does react to my thumb, just not very well. And the phones were clean as a whistle. They seriously looked like they had barely been touched at all.

Los

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
And just so you guys know. I am not new to Windows Phone. I've had the Arrive since it came out. It never had this accuracy problem. Hopefully Nokia takes notice and puts out a fix a with tango

mparker

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Been using a 1st gen Focus since launch week. I stopped by the AT&T store today to look at the 900. One of them (cyan) was *very* slow, the other (black) was merely sluggish. I assumed it was a glitch of some kind. But if so it seems to be a fairly common glitch. The cyan one was absolutely unacceptable and verged on unusable. On a stock install it took about 6-7 full-length swipes to get to the bottom of the applications list. The black one was better but it still scrolled way too slowly.

apoc527

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
Tried the trial of DM and again, not sure what the issue is. It played like any other arcade shooter I've tried on smartphones (i.e. Space Deadbeef for iOS).

As for peestandingup, I think I figured out how you were doing that. I was able to replicate your issue by carefully gently rubbing the screen more or less exactly between Live Tiles. This seems to create a behavior that mimics what I see happening in your video.

However, I have to strenuously disagree that this is a "screen responsiveness issue." As others have said, that's a feature, not a bug. If you touch a Live Tile, it opens. If you hold down a Tile, it brings up the move/un-pin interface. If you swipe your finger more than an inch or two in either direction, the screen scrolls. What you were doing is a strange test as I can't see how it proves or tests any aspect of the phone at all, other than showing how precise the screen actually is. THe ability to accurately touch BETWEEN Live Tiles is impressive, but I can't fathom how it shows something is wrong with the screen.

With a light touch on an actual Tile, the screen responds perfectly. With a long press, it does what it's supposed to. On a swipe, it scrolls. Only when you perform the honestly somewhat strange rub that you were demonstrating does it not respond. And that's probably because it's not supposed to respond to that kind of touch. There are about a million and one jokes that could be made about our discussion in this thread, so hopefully nobody comes along and makes them. :cool:

mihesq

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
I have a HD7, Focus S and the Lumia 900. The HD7 and Focus S follow my finger very accurately. Where I place my finger and move, is where the screen will move. However the Lumia 900 trails it slighty, almost like a tiny bit of lag between where you move your finger and when the screen follows.

I tested it with Dodonpachi Maximum on the Focus S. when placing my finger directly over the space ship, it follows my finger no matter where I move it, be it a quick swipe or a slow swipe, the ship is always under my finger. When playing it on the Lumia 900, with quick swipes or slow swipes the ship always ends up at a different location than my finger.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte