Screen Responsiveness (VIDEO)

peestandingup

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Tried the trial of DM and again, not sure what the issue is. It played like any other arcade shooter I've tried on smartphones (i.e. Space Deadbeef for iOS).

As for peestandingup, I think I figured out how you were doing that. I was able to replicate your issue by carefully gently rubbing the screen more or less exactly between Live Tiles. This seems to create a behavior that mimics what I see happening in your video.

However, I have to strenuously disagree that this is a "screen responsiveness issue." As others have said, that's a feature, not a bug. If you touch a Live Tile, it opens. If you hold down a Tile, it brings up the move/un-pin interface. If you swipe your finger more than an inch or two in either direction, the screen scrolls. What you were doing is a strange test as I can't see how it proves or tests any aspect of the phone at all, other than showing how precise the screen actually is. THe ability to accurately touch BETWEEN Live Tiles is impressive, but I can't fathom how it shows something is wrong with the screen.

With a light touch on an actual Tile, the screen responds perfectly. With a long press, it does what it's supposed to. On a swipe, it scrolls. Only when you perform the honestly somewhat strange rub that you were demonstrating does it not respond. And that's probably because it's not supposed to respond to that kind of touch. There are about a million and one jokes that could be made about our discussion in this thread, so hopefully nobody comes along and makes them. :cool:

I'm not new to WP, and I can honestly say that I've never seen this before on any device no matter where on the screen my thumb was. If my thumb was between a live tile at first in this particular video, then so be it. But you can see my thumb moving outside of that area too. And like I said, it was like that all over the OS, inside the browser, etc. This is just the video I took & I played with 3 of them that behaved the same way.

And I don't think that type of subtle touching of a touchscreen device is "strange" at all. I do it all the time in browsers, in apps, reading text, etc. Everything's not supposed to be a swipe or a flick. It should follow the movements & do what your thumb/fingers are doing. My other phones do, why not this one??

But I'm not gonna get into that. Seems like a silly argument & nit picky.

Los

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Well just because you don't notice it or your phone doesn't do it, doesn't mean the problem doesn't exist. We all know the disappearing keyboard was an issue but many people denied that too. So since you don't have this issue, this thread isn't for you. I'm not gonna sit here and pretend it doesn't exist cause that's not gonna fix the problem

apoc527

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
I have a HD7, Focus S and the Lumia 900. The HD7 and Focus S follow my finger very accurately. Where I place my finger and move, is where the screen will move. However the Lumia 900 trails it slighty, almost like a tiny bit of lag between where you move your finger and when the screen follows.

I tested it with Dodonpachi Maximum on the Focus S. when placing my finger directly over the space ship, it follows my finger no matter where I move it, be it a quick swipe or a slow swipe, the ship is always under my finger. When playing it on the Lumia 900, with quick swipes or slow swipes the ship always ends up at a different location than my finger.
Now THIS I can replicate. Seems like a different style of touch interface, but I wouldn't call it unresponsive. More like they have a different setting for acceleration and touch. The screen feels "sticky" but I wouldn't say it affects useability and I can't say it's not intentional. It all feels very natural in everyday use.

apoc527

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
And I don't think that type of subtle touching of a touchscreen device is "strange" at all. I do it all the time in browsers, in apps, reading text, etc. Everything's not supposed to be a swipe or a flick. It should follow the movements & do what your thumb/fingers are doing. My other phones do, why not this one??

But I'm not gonna get into that. Seems like a silly argument & nit picky.

My iPhone 4 does not display this behavior, which I finally can notice now. I will say that I haven't seen it cause any actual *problems* though--it's more like a different style of the same functionality.

Importantly, it has NOT been an issue for taps, like in IE, where you might subtly touch a link (and to test that, I just checked out WPcentral's home page on IE9 and VERY gently touched a link--no problems). THe more I fiddle, the more I think it's like some kind of software filter to prevent unintended activations of the screen.

So, bottom line: I can see what you are both talking about, but haven't found it to be a problem thus far.

Los

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
All of a sudden you can replicate what he said which was basically what I said. smh

" You can really feel it when playing a game like Dodonpachi Maximum. The battleship is far from where your finger is "

The battleship is suppose to be under my finger at all times, not lagging behind my gestures

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Not sure why people are saying all HTC phones are like this because the start screen on my Trophy is definitely not like that video. It follows my thumb as fast as it will move.

Maybe it's a random issue with all phones and not just the Lumia?

apoc527

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
All of a sudden you can replicate what he said which was basically what I said. smh

" You can really feel it when playing a game like Dodonpachi Maximum. The battleship is far from where your finger is "

The battleship it suppose to be under my finger at all times, not lagging behind my gestures

I was comparing it to how the iPhone 4 plays Space Deadbeef, where the ship DEFINITELY lags behind your finger. I don't play many games on handsets, so I'm not that familiar with how those types of games "ought" to feel. All I can say is that Dodonpachi Maximum was certainly playable--why would you want the actual graphic to be under your finger at all times? I always played those games by putting my finger to one side and "dragging" the ship around, which is basically how the Lumia's screen seems to function.

At any rate, to each his own. It took several people describing the same thing in different ways for me to finally recognize what you were all describing and I used the phone with no complaints over the entire weekend.

Los

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
I was comparing it to how the iPhone 4 plays Space Deadbeef, where the ship DEFINITELY lags behind your finger. I don't play many games on handsets, so I'm not that familiar with how those types of games "ought" to feel. All I can say is that Dodonpachi Maximum was certainly playable--why would you want the actual graphic to be under your finger at all times? I always played those games by putting my finger to one side and "dragging" the ship around, which is basically how the Lumia's screen seems to function.

At any rate, to each his own. It took several people describing the same thing in different ways for me to finally recognize what you were all describing and I used the phone with no complaints over the entire weekend.

Maybe because it's suppose to be played accurately. smh

Like I said, I had the HTC Arrive, and it played the way it was suppose to. It's a problem and it needs to be fixed. Simple as that. I'm not gonna sit here and argue about it. I'm just here to back him on his claim cause it's true and I experience it too. I don't care about the start screen scrolling, that's the least of my problems but it's effecting my gameplay experience and that's not cool

Last edited:

apoc527

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
I already said I can notice it now. But as Daniel said, "I am not sure how much that translates to real world differences between the devices." (or something to that effect)

If the phone doesn't play Doponachi Maximum well enough for you, then take it back. If it doesn't bother you enough to do that, then I guess the issue is kind of closed, huh?

Los

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
No cause i'm happy with the phone. It's my only issue with it so far. It can easily be fixed with an update. Why else do we have firmware/software updates for? I understand the phone was rushed to the market with little time on their hands but they need to address this with an update. If we don't speak up, how do you expect it to get fixed? but it's not like it can't be fixed with an update

Stop acting like people are trying to attack the phone. If it has a problem, then it has a problem. No phone is perfect. smh

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Not sure why people are saying all HTC phones are like this because the start screen on my Trophy is definitely not like that video. It follows my thumb as fast as it will move.

Maybe it's a random issue with all phones and not just the Lumia?

Well I know for a fact it's just like that on the HD7(S)

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
I haven't held the N900 yet (hopefully tomorrow), but it seems that if it's taking 6-7 strokes to reach the bottom of the App screen, with only the default apps, then the responsiveness may be a little slow. However, I would think it can be adjusted with a software update.

peestandingup

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
It probably CAN be fixed with an update, but therein lies the problem. Who knows WHEN an update would come? Remember, they're sorta letting the carriers dictate update cycles now. And this phone is brand new, so I wouldn't expect anything for at least a few months.

I'm just saying, if this were an iPhone or a Nexus device (running pure Android), then they could squash it in a week or two.

apoc527

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
I think in this case, the importance of this phone works in our favor. Assuming it's something that can be fixed (and needs to be fixed, which I won't argue, as I would be happy with rock solid performance, after all), then I think we are more likely to see updates for this phone than any other non-iPhone, non-Nexus device. It's kind of up there with those two brands as being the "purest" WP7 experience, because of the partnership between MS and Nokia.

This is also true of the camera, which again, assuming it can/needs to be fixed, probably will get an update. AT&T isn't going to hold back updates for THIS handset lightly...I hope!

jd914

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I took this today at an AT&T store. Is anyone else completely puzzled why Nokia decided to make the screen responsiveness so harsh?? Yes, I understand that Samsung turns theirs up way high, but IMO thats how it should be. It should follow your thumb & finger a lot more accurately than what Nokia is doing.

d674f20e.mp4 video by peestandingup - Photobucket

And its not the screen size either. Like I said, the Focus S doesn't do this. Neither does my Titan or iPhone. Even crappy Androids I've tried aren't this bad, and that OS needs a jet engine to make it not run like poo.

Why are they doing this? Was the 800 & 710 this bad??

Absolutely no one uses their phone like you were doing in that video. My Lumia is buttery smooth and no way do I ever use short fast swipes to make the screen act like it did on that video. I'm sure you can find an exploit to make any device run funny. How about posting a video with long strokes like everyone else does? Sheer ridiculousness.

Worst thread in the history of wpcentral :rolleyes:

apoc527

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
Stop acting like people are trying to attack the phone. If it has a problem, then it has a problem. No phone is perfect. smh

http://forums.windowscentral.com/1644393-post12.htm

Just to set the record straight, I'm not defending the phone as perfect. I completely agree with you--if it has issues, let's make sure Nokia, AT&T, and MS knows about them. At the same time, we can't come across as overly negative either. It's a balancing act, but a necessary one if we claim to be champions of any particular OS or phone.

Nokia wants feedback on the Lumia 900--I signed up to give it to them and this is something I will try to comment on if given the chance.

Los

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
ATT admitted to wanting to hold the Lumia 900 release for tango cause it has features on it they want but they released it anyway. Tango is not that far off, I'd say it should be out sometime in May/June. All the other updates only been bug fixes. I think ATT rather push out those bug fixes with bigger updates that have added features like tango than pushing out a bunch of small updates. So it seems the carriers are holding off on small fixes and waiting for bigger updates with more features. So I wouldn't worry about tango not being pushed, ATT wants those MMS features

peestandingup

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Absolutely no one uses their phone like you were doing in that video. My Lumia is buttery smooth and no way do I ever use short fast swipes to make the screen act like it did on that video. I'm sure you can find an exploit to make any device run funny. How about posting a video with long strokes like everyone else does? Sheer ridiculousness.

Worst thread in the history of wpcentral :rolleyes:

Yes, because everyone uses sweeping long strokes to navigate around apps, games & browser text. I know I myself zip & zoom all over a browser until it just happens to land on the area I want to read.

And why did you feel the need to respond if its the worst thread ever? Just keep your head in the sand. Everything's fine, mate.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers