Has anyone tried the Lumia 900 over an MVNO (Red Pocket, Jolt, etc.) yet?

hyperlexis

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Ah all very interesting developments. I certainly hope Nokia releases that application. Otherwise if I can't get Bing to work, that will be a huge impediment using the phone.

I called everyone today -- Nokia and Straight Talk. Nokia was a disaster. Straight Talk less so.

1.) Nokia: Techs in India could barely speak English and did not listen to responses. Their tech totally screwed up the phone. He did not know what was causing the basic problem -- I had 4g on board, I could access 4G data using IE, and I could finally download apps using 4g data. Bing, however, could not function unless on WiFi and, secondly, the big problem entering MMS settings precluded MMS messaging.

Re the MMS prob the tech stated that it was AT&T that forbade Nokia from installing the Connections app onto the phone allowing access to MMS settings for MVNO users. No other way to enter the settings, period.

Re the Bing problem, the tech first had me change all the proxy settings and see if that would work. All that did was mess up the 4g and put the phone onto Edge. (On Edge, Bing worked!) However then IE would not access the internet anymore! It was a mess. I had to master reset the phone several times and take the sim out before I finally set things back to 4G as before. Then, the tech and supposedly his supervisor claimed that Bing would not work properly because the phone did not have an LTE-enabled SIM chip in it. He said that was the reason. I was furious because 1.) it sounded preposterous because 95% of the country does not have LTE; and 2.) if it is actually true, then the phone, unlocked or not, (mine is contract free but so far locked), then that means NO MVNO user can fully use the phone because only ATT has LTE-enabled SIMs, no? Total complete monopoly. How can this be deemed a 'world phone' if it only works fully under ATTs network?

Straight Talk: Clueless but actually much more helpful and nicer than usual. Basically said they provide the service and that it was working fine on their end, and that if the phone doesn't offer MMS settings, than they can't do anything to change it. At least they did give me a free month of service.

So can some people connect to ST undr 4G with Bing functionality? If yes, perhaps my phone has the software bug that may be fixed monday? Otherwise, will no Lumia 900s ever be able to use Bing (critical for this phone) without running an LTE-capable SIM? Are we just doomed on this one?

moc426

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
Go to your settings and cellular

Click edit apn, and take everything out except for att.mvno in APN.

Write down your settings in case you have any issue, but that should fix it. It has for me and others here.

No solution for MMS yet, waiting on Network setup app from nokia.

Ah all very interesting developments. I certainly hope Nokia releases that application. Otherwise if I can't get Bing to work, that will be a huge impediment using the phone.

I called everyone today -- Nokia and Straight Talk. Nokia was a disaster. Straight Talk less so.

1.) Nokia: Techs in India could barely speak English and did not listen to responses. Their tech totally screwed up the phone. He did not know what was causing the basic problem -- I had 4g on board, I could access 4G data using IE, and I could finally download apps using 4g data. Bing, however, could not function unless on WiFi and, secondly, the big problem entering MMS settings precluded MMS messaging.

Re the MMS prob the tech stated that it was AT&T that forbade Nokia from installing the Connections app onto the phone allowing access to MMS settings for MVNO users. No other way to enter the settings, period.

Re the Bing problem, the tech first had me change all the proxy settings and see if that would work. All that did was mess up the 4g and put the phone onto Edge. (On Edge, Bing worked!) However then IE would not access the internet anymore! It was a mess. I had to master reset the phone several times and take the sim out before I finally set things back to 4G as before. Then, the tech and supposedly his supervisor claimed that Bing would not work properly because the phone did not have an LTE-enabled SIM chip in it. He said that was the reason. I was furious because 1.) it sounded preposterous because 95% of the country does not have LTE; and 2.) if it is actually true, then the phone, unlocked or not, (mine is contract free but so far locked), then that means NO MVNO user can fully use the phone because only ATT has LTE-enabled SIMs, no? Total complete monopoly. How can this be deemed a 'world phone' if it only works fully under ATTs network?

Straight Talk: Clueless but actually much more helpful and nicer than usual. Basically said they provide the service and that it was working fine on their end, and that if the phone doesn't offer MMS settings, than they can't do anything to change it. At least they did give me a free month of service.

So can some people connect to ST undr 4G with Bing functionality? If yes, perhaps my phone has the software bug that may be fixed monday? Otherwise, will no Lumia 900s ever be able to use Bing (critical for this phone) without running an LTE-capable SIM? Are we just doomed on this one?

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Go to your settings and cellular

Click edit apn, and take everything out except for att.mvno in APN.

Write down your settings in case you have any issue, but that should fix it. It has for me and others here.

No solution for MMS yet, waiting on Network setup app from nokia.

I suggested this to him in the previous page, but I guess it didn't work. Works with my MVNO (Red Pocket). I don't see why it wouldn't for others.

hyperlexis

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I suggested this to him in the previous page, but I guess it didn't work. Works with my MVNO (Red Pocket). I don't see why it wouldn't for others.

Yes tried multiple configs but nothing worked without including the proxy info. Without it no 4g at all I also tried removing only the port (80) which another poster said would fix it, but the port number kept re-appearing on its own.

Perhaps its different with ST or perhaps I have a phone with the software glitch?

Also, has anyone had good luck just installing an AT&T prepaid 'Go Phone' chip? I'd switch in a second if I could get HSPA+ 4G plus all the other features just to work.

moc426

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
I am using it on st. Try setting apn, maybe needs a restart to apply the settings.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Residing

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
This is a welcomed thread for me, and I am glad it was started.

I currently own a N8, and I am on the ATT GoPhone plan ($0.10/min talk with 10MB data pack for $5) and I want to cut my sim down to a micro sim, and purchase the Lumia 900 off contract. But, I just need to be sure that the phone will work properly for me - properly sans 4G, as I don't care about having 4G speeds at this time.

I just want to make sure that I can use my current sim (cut to micro) and not have ATT send me a 'warning' text telling me that I have to sign up for their standard smartphone plans.

Any input and insights are welcomed. Thanks Kindly.

ji37

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
This is a welcomed thread for me, and I am glad it was started.

I currently own a N8, and I am on the ATT GoPhone plan ($0.10/min talk with 10MB data pack for $5) and I want to cut my sim down to a micro sim, and purchase the Lumia 900 off contract. But, I just need to be sure that the phone will work properly for me - properly sans 4G, as I don't care about having 4G speeds at this time.

I just want to make sure that I can use my current sim (cut to micro) and not have ATT send me a 'warning' text telling me that I have to sign up for their standard smartphone plans.

Any input and insights are welcomed. Thanks Kindly.
I'll be trying the gophone sim tomorrow when my 900 arrives. I'll let you know how it goes.

ji37

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
I'll be trying the gophone sim tomorrow when my 900 arrives. I'll let you know how it goes.
900 arrived today. yikes, a tremendous device. i tried to cut down a sim card out of a cheapie cellphone i was using for my gophone account. didn't work, so i took the 900 to an att store, and they hooked me up with an LTE compatible microsim that works in the 900. the fella configed it to work with the 900 and my existing phone number and gophone account.

hyperlexis

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I am happy, albeit somewhat confused tonight.

I was going to write about how the Nokia update patch did not fix the problem I was having running Bing using 4G data with Straight Talk and how I was now going to have to take the 900 back and get an Android....

But I don't know what happened but now it all works! In desperation I went back into the APN settings and deleted the Proxy server/URL entry as well as the Proxy Port entry (I tried this before, but it killed the data access). I then rebooted the phone and the phone went into Edge data. :( Bing then worked. But then, a few minutes later, 4G kicked in! And Bing still worked!!!!!!! Phew!!!!!!!!

The only other thing I can think of is that I also got an email from AT&T this evening telling me how my "iPhone" was determined eligible for unlocking by AT&T and how I needed to do a bunch of steps to back up my "iPhone" and reboot it to unlock it. So perhaps my phone is technically now unlocked. I have no clue.

But at least now my 900 gets 4G + Bing works. Still NO access to MMS messaging, and still NO Nokia connections app is listed in Marketplace to allow changing the MMS settings, but still half the battle with this phone is done.

So, in short, my APN settings for Straight Talk are now:

1.) APN = "att.mvno"
2.) User Name = (left blank)
3.) Password = (left blank)
4.) Proxy Server = (left blank)
5.) Proxy Port = (left blank)

My proxy server previously was "proxy.mvno.tracfone.com" as per ST's instructions, and the Proxy Port was "80", but I deleted these two and now Bing works properly and I can still get 4G.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Good to hear, hyperlexis. The settings you posted work for all AT&T MVNOs. I have the same settings for my Red Pocket account.

As for MMS, as one last desperate effort, I made an appointment with Nokia SmartStart to see what they could do. They called and I asked if there was any way they could perhaps send the correct MMS settings straight to my phone, since they have the serial number. No dice. The associate said the only way to do that is through the Network Setup app and she had no information as to why it was taken down or when it would be back up. :(

Residing

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
900 arrived today. yikes, a tremendous device. i tried to cut down a sim card out of a cheapie cellphone i was using for my gophone account. didn't work, so i took the 900 to an att store, and they hooked me up with an LTE compatible microsim that works in the 900. the fella configed it to work with the 900 and my existing phone number and gophone account.
Thank you for the feedback, ji37!

I will inquire about the configuration aspect. Not sure if you have the same GoPhone plan as I do, but if they can set me up on the per minute plan, and $5 data package plan for the L900, that would be superb. I'll reserve my excitement though, given that the no committment phone policy states on their website that GoPhone plans can't be used.

Thanks again.

hyperlexis

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
OK does anyone know anything about this issue re MVNO service: -- there was another post online explaining how AT&T's default setting for BYO handsets is for 3G data, even if the handset is actually a 4G handset. So, therefore, if you bring an unlocked 4G phone to AT&T off-contract, not purchased at an AT&T store, you must call ATT and give them the IMEI number to make sure you are getting the fastest 4G speeds available in your area. AT&T will change their settings from 3G to 4G for data going to the phone. A lot of people with iPhones are facing this problem.

That said, does the same isseue apply to MVNOs, specifically Straight Talk which operates using AT&T's equipment? Does ST need to be told I have a 4G handset so they can set the data speeds on their end at a higher rate for 4G? (The ST operator I spoke with was clueless). My 900 is showing the icon for 4G service using my ST SIM. I am getting from 1.0 to 5.2 mbps download speeds. Is that what a normal AT&T HSPA+ service offers or is this abnormally low? (I am coming from my old 3G service so I'm not familiar with HSPA normal speeds). Does this indicate I have true HSPA+ '4G' under AT&T or does it sound like it's really just 3G speeds?

I called AT&T and they said they didn't know and to talk to ST. ST, of course, knows nothing.

What's the real story?

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Depends on Area Coverage of course.

I get 1 to 2mb down over Cell Data on my Focus Flash and I am on NET10 AT&T SIM (same service has straighttalk) so 3g

But I have everything working including MMS because I have wireless manager and was able to change my APN Settings and MMS..

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Once the connection manager thing returns, you can edit the "active network" to ATT 3G...that will make Bing work over cellular data as ATT's native LTE or 4G settings don't work.

Looks like Nokia Network Profile apps is set to be re released Soon..So hopefully everyone can get their Lumia working correctly on Net10/Straighttalk/RedPocket/Jolt etc..

From Nokia Support Discussions maybe a few more days.

if not complain in that thread (now if htc would get off it butt and fix their's)

CHPro

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
Looks like Nokia Network Profile apps is set to be re released Soon..So hopefully everyone can get their Lumia working correctly on Net10/Straighttalk/RedPocket/Jolt etc..

From Nokia Support Discussions maybe a few more days.

if not complain in that thread (now if htc would get off it butt and fix their's)

Awsome news. I returned mine back in may because this was missing, and a rep told me it wasnt coming back.

Once this is re-released I will look into picking up a lumia again. ( I miss it).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss