The Back button problem

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Are any of you using a screen protector? I noticed the ones that AT&T sell in the store seems to make it easier to either accidentally trigger the multitasking or make it hard to push the back button so you have to give it several pushes. I finally just took mine off.

prowade

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I had a moshi screen protector on but after it long pressed on mr a couple times I thought I would see if it does it without it. And it does.

Like I said I am an experienced Windows Phone user and am very aware of the difference between a long press and a tap. And I can duplicate my results very easily.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

jinfluence

Feb 13, 2012
Visit site
Are any of you using a screen protector? I noticed the ones that AT&T sell in the store seems to make it easier to either accidentally trigger the multitasking or make it hard to push the back button so you have to give it several pushes. I finally just took mine off.
I do have a screen protector on mine but I don't think that is the culprit. Just playing around with the phone there are no issues. Just when I have been playing a game or listening to music for a while does it occur.

Also, I read somewhere (may have been here) that people were thinking it might be related to using the speaker vs. the headphone jack. I just tried to reproduce it with headphones in and I was unable to. Have any of the other folks that have noticed this issue had it occur with headphones instead of the speaker?

Oldmajor

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I've pinpointed the start of my back button problems. It begins to occur when I play Civilization. If I play the game for a long time and then exit it seems to make the back button act crazy. I turn off all background task and power off the phone. When it comes back on everything works fine

jinfluence

Feb 13, 2012
Visit site
I do have a screen protector on mine but I don't think that is the culprit. Just playing around with the phone there are no issues. Just when I have been playing a game or listening to music for a while does it occur.

Also, I read somewhere (may have been here) that people were thinking it might be related to using the speaker vs. the headphone jack. I just tried to reproduce it with headphones in and I was unable to. Have any of the other folks that have noticed this issue had it occur with headphones instead of the speaker?

It seems that others are having the problem when using the speaker: http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/t5/Nokia-with-Windows-Phone/Issue-with-nokia-lumia-900-touch-capacitive-buttons/td-p/1375977

dirtbikr

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
This is very easy to replicate and seems to be a huge oversight. I expect it should be fixed very soon. Start playing music through the speaker on your 900 using the music hub and then press the windows key. The tell me client will pop up and the capacitive keys will become non responsive. Turn the screen off and back on,slide up the lock screen and press the back button. Every time you press it for a short time, not a hold, it will bring up the multitasking cards. On my phone this also killed the camera button from waking the phone, but that may be coincidence. All I know is I cannot play music on the phone and navigate, and my camera button does not wake up the phone.

retropenguin

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
Ok just got back from the store and exchanged my lumia. thankfully they had one last one and the new one does not seem to have the back button problem, so for all those having the problem, i would advise you all to exchange it.

jinfluence

Feb 13, 2012
Visit site
Ok just got back from the store and exchanged my lumia. thankfully they had one last one and the new one does not seem to have the back button problem, so for all those having the problem, i would advise you all to exchange it.

Sounds like I should go exchange mine. I didn't want to have to do that because I have had no other issues on mine. Hopefully the one I exchange for won't have the issue and be clear of the other issues that people seem to have.

Maybe I'll stop on the way home from work and see if my store has any cyan ones to exchange with. Do I need to bring the box and charger to do the exchange?

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Just experienced this on a call with the speakerphone on, phone had been fine all day with browsing and other stuff. Restarted and it didn't do it again when I tried. Not sure if I'll exchange yet.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
You do realize that you folks exchanging you L900s for diddly crap are keeping interested users from trying out the phone. Its a software button. Its a software problem. Bet you a Lumia you will experience it again. Nokia is getting to it (it would take HTC a year, and Samsung probably wouldn't bother) but they have other balls to juggle right now. Like trying to save a company.

jinfluence

Feb 13, 2012
Visit site
You do realize that you folks exchanging you L900s for diddly crap are keeping interested users from trying out the phone. Its a software button. Its a software problem. Bet you a Lumia you will experience it again. Nokia is getting to it (it would take HTC a year, and Samsung probably wouldn't bother) but they have other balls to juggle right now. Like trying to save a company.

You may be right and I hope it is a software issue. But, it is quite frustrating when you are playing a game or listening to some music and your phone becomes uncontrollable. Should I only play games or listen to music through the headphone jack? Or I guess I can restart my phone every time that I play a game. If I do anything through the speaker for more than a couple minutes it happens.

It does seem like it would be a software problem but on the other hand it doesn't seem like too many people are having the problem and a lot of people claim that it doesn't happen to theirs. I talked to Nokia today and they suggested that it was a hardware problem (the guy didn't seem to want to walk through the issue with me much though) and that I should exchange (was holding off hoping it was a software problem). Unfortunately my AT&T is out of the cyan version at the moment.

Other than this I have had no issues with my phone and would hope that I wouldn't deter others from trying it - I just don't want it to be a hardware issue and get worse with time.

jsntrenkler

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
I like my screen naked, I have to trust the gorilla glass. Tried a screen protector and it felt wrong.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

You do realize that when there's an iPhone 4S, Galaxy SII out there that no one has to put up with anything? None of us are obligated to help bail Nokia out. It's sink or swim time.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Truth is until you know for sure it's not software related then you should at least go most of your 30 days. You could easily waste your time exchanging several before you realize it's a bug in all of them.

jinfluence

Feb 13, 2012
Visit site
Truth is until you know for sure it's not software related then you should at least go most of your 30 days. You could easily waste your time exchanging several before you realize it's a bug in all of them.

I'll agree with you there but since it is so hard to find the cyan versions i want to make sure I can find one before my 30 days are up.

anon(5346951)

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
All the people who say you are pressing on the back button too long are wrong.

I have the same issue but my Nokia Lumia 900 was not pre-ordered, it was bought from Phones 4 U in England.

It happens most often in the Nokia Music application and it has a mind of its own. Sometimes it does not respond and other times it goes straight to multitasking.

Another thing I noticed is it happens with the Windows home button as well sometimes. A normal short tap goes straight to voice control.

In gaming it quite often goes off without even touching the soft keys! :mad: :(

anon(5346951)

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
This is very easy to replicate and seems to be a huge oversight. I expect it should be fixed very soon. Start playing music through the speaker on your 900 using the music hub and then press the windows key. The tell me client will pop up and the capacitive keys will become non responsive. Turn the screen off and back on,slide up the lock screen and press the back button. Every time you press it for a short time, not a hold, it will bring up the multitasking cards. On my phone this also killed the camera button from waking the phone, but that may be coincidence. All I know is I cannot play music on the phone and navigate, and my camera button does not wake up the phone.
And yet there have been a number of Nokia updates and a lot of time has passed and still nothing!

Daakkon

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
it is most definitely a hardware issue. My first 900 had the task switcher pop up frequently even while my phone was on a table. TellMe would randomly pop up, and it always happened when I was using the speakerphone. So whole playing a game, watching a video, playing a game, or listening to music.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon