Battery Life?

JPDVM2014

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
I was over on XDA and saw a thread where someone was seeing a marked improvement in battery life since getting his phone. I looked at mine and I see the same thing. Most of it is prob because I am not on it quite as much, but I am still playing with it almost constantly except when I actually have to work. :) It has been off the charger since 7 am EST and I am still at 89%. That is with listening to podcasts on my 45 minute commute and hour lunch, a few games, and quite a bit of internet browsing. Anyone else notice a major increase in battery life or is it all in my head?

chrise2

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
Hmm. Mine's not so great but still better than the iPhone though. I haven't used it too much today, but I have a bunch of accounts synching with it. I'm also on WiFi and LTE. I also listended to music for a couple of hours this am. My battery is about half way empty. Been off the charger for about 10 hours.

copmcotcs

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
Hmm I live in an LTE area.

While at work (which isn't an LTE area, its 3.5G) I listen to music on it pretty much throughout the day (I use the Smart DJ thing in Zune a lot) and so there is lots of streaming.

Throughout the day, I'm signed in on messenger/gchat. I also listen to music on my commute (approx. 2 hours total/day)...

I have my email to sync @ 30min and bluetooth/wifi turned off (I turn it on when I get home).

I get home from work, and the battery is at 37%. It also says 6 hours remaining. I think WP does that estimate based on your current/recent device usage pattern. IE, if I really started browsing and streaming heavily right now, the indicator would read something like "35%, 2 hours remaining" within minutes.

So when the battery is at 37% and there are 6 hours remaining, you can kind of gauge how I use my phone.

Lmuggs-

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
its great. it pretty much last me all day with moderate usage.
I have noticed the opposite. The battery life is no where near what I expected based on all the reviews and threads I am reading about it being great. I hope it gets better over time given that its only 4 days old.

I charged the phone fully overnight and took it off the charger at 9AM. I have taken a short 5 minute call, sent a few texts, 10 minutes of browsing the web. I have 2 email accounts set to push (outlook and gmail), bluetooth off, wifi on, signal is a little weak in the house so I'm sure that diminishes the battery some due to the radio having to poll for the signal all the time. I'm in an LTE area but only get 1 bar of 4G at home, until I leave the house and then its LTE. As of approx 5:30 I was at 11%. That's 8.5 hours of minimal use.

One thing I noticed is that I do see, when viewing the Battery Status page in the diagnostics tool, the current discharge seems to get pretty high without touching the phone. It will go from 100 mA to approx 600 mA, hover around 300 then back down to 100 mA and repeat this cycle over and over.

Can it be that push is not set up correctly with Gmail? On the iPhone I remember having to set it up as an additional exchange account to get push to work correctly.

copmcotcs

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
Hmm I live in an LTE area.

While at work (which isn't an LTE area, its 3.5G) I listen to music on it pretty much throughout the day (I use the Smart DJ thing in Zune a lot) and so there is lots of streaming.

Throughout the day, I'm signed in on messenger/gchat. I also listen to music on my commute (approx. 2 hours total/day)...

I have my email to sync @ 30min and bluetooth/wifi turned off (I turn it on when I get home).

I get home from work, and the battery is at 37%. It also says 6 hours remaining, so it can last upto 1:30-2AM if I kept going. I think WP does that estimate based on your current/recent device usage pattern. IE, if I really started browsing and streaming heavily right now, the indicator would read something like "35%, 2 hours remaining" within minutes.

So when the battery is at 37% and there are 6 hours remaining, you can kind of gauge how I use my phone.

anon(5325135)

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I unplugged my phone from the charger at 6 AM. Looked through WPCentral, CNN, Facebook, Twitter, for a bit. Then at 7:15, I started playing a game, all the way through 7:50. At 8:40, I start playing a game again (Shuffle Party), and played it until about 9:20. I did not use my phone till then until 3:25 PM, and played Shuffle Party again to 4:15.

Went home around 5:30 PM, and had a 22% battery left.

I am not sure if that is fair with the amount of usage or not. I honestly do not like fast draining batteries at all.

Facebook, WPCentral, and CNN are my current live tiles that push. Hotmail pushes my e-mail hourly.

Also, I do not have LTE in my area, so I am currently limited to 4G at the moment.

Is this battery consistent and fair, or does it plainly suck with my usage?

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
There are no mysteries with the L900, or any other phone for that matter. Talk time is 7 hrs., so about 14(+a little)% drain per hour. Screen on ad browsing will use about the same as talking. Games and video, a little more. Screen on, but no browsing, a little less. Music, with screen off. Even less.

Your phone on standby, unless your cell signal is really crappy, will burn very little battery throughout the day. Same for push email, live tiles and WiFi. So add up you "screen on"/talk time and multiply that x 14. It will give you a good idea of your actual usage drain vs. standby drain.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

got3n

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm at just over 36 hours now on a full charge, LTE network 95% of that time, no wifi, zune for about 4 of those hours while at the gym, exchange set to push every 5 min, gmail set to manual since I only really use exchange, had 2 30 min calls today, couple 1 min here and there, moderate Facebook use and a few photos uploaded, right now I'm at 12% battery with about 3 hours it says, but I'm about to go to sleep and I'm sure it would last over night on standby, but I will have to charge it at work tomorrow for sure.

tigrisrex

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
Battery life not doing well

A fully-charged battery of my Lumia 900 doesn't last a day on a light usage. :( Anyone experiencing battery issues? Or my unit is just one those...and I need to get a replacement?

Blackwood504

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
It is now 10:53pm, I last charged my phone around this time yesterday. and I still have about 9 hours left (30% battery).

Use since last charge:
A few mins of talking (at the most 45 mins)
Nokia Drive: maybe 20-25 mins.
Bing maps: 15 mins.
Texting: 15 mins.
Downloading about 10 apps.
Streamed a podcast for 25 mins.
internet browsing: 30 mins (with a little youtube)

npyle

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm not in an LTE area yet (Cleveland/Akron), but that should be changing here in the next month; however, I'm easily getting a full day's worth of activity out of my phone. To date, this has been the best phone for battery life that I've had--also have the Lumia 800, iPhone 4s, and Galaxy Note, but have had a ton of other phones over the years as well.

Fleon

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
My Lumia is clearly having issues with battery calibration- could someone help me out with a test?

With all my other Windows Phones, if the battery runs down, the phone gracefully goes to about 2-4% (as shown in battery saver) and displays "goodbye" and shuts off. This is what is supposed to happen. With my Lumia 900, it goes to 0% and I get about another 30 minutes or so of heavy usage (in my case, streaming video/downloading apps/etc). The Lumia then just shuts off. No "goodbye", just straight to black and needs to be plugged in.

Can someone run the battery out on their 900 and tell me if they get a graceful shutdown or not? Clearly, my battery is showing much more depletion than actually exists, and I'd like to see if this is unique to me.

Thanks!

Blackwood504

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
My Lumia is clearly having issues with battery calibration- could someone help me out with a test?

With all my other Windows Phones, if the battery runs down, the phone gracefully goes to about 2-4% (as shown in battery saver) and displays "goodbye" and shuts off. This is what is supposed to happen. With my Lumia 900, it goes to 0% and I get about another 30 minutes or so of heavy usage (in my case, streaming video/downloading apps/etc). The Lumia then just shuts off. No "goodbye", just straight to black and needs to be plugged in.

Can someone run the battery out on their 900 and tell me if they get a graceful shutdown or not? Clearly, my battery is showing much more depletion than actually exists, and I'd like to see if this is unique to me.

Thanks!

Mine did the same, it just shut off. Nokia may changed it. On my focus if I would try to turn the phone back on it would show a low battery logo and would not power up. If i didn't plug it in to charge for a very long time it wouldn't show that logo as the battery is completely dead. I think Nokia just lets the battery go completely out. So once the battery is done it's done.

Fleon

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Mine did the same, it just shut off. Nokia may changed it. On my focus if I would try to turn the phone back on it would show a low battery logo and would not power up. If i didn't plug it in to charge for a very long time it wouldn't show that logo as the battery is completely dead. I think Nokia just lets the battery go completely out. So once the battery is done it's done.

This is clearly bad. The lack of graceful shutdown can cause battery problems and data loss. Let's hope there's an update for this soon.

Not to mention having no idea how much battery life I actually have left is a bit disconcerting.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium