Off contract gophone ?

0mie

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Top bad you folks don't have or not eligible for FAN discounts with AT&T. I get a 24% discount including 24% off data and voice on all lines.

For those of us with families. 3 lines and up it's actually more economical to have post paid plans.

I have 4 lines (3 iPhone unlimited data plans) unlimited text and rollover minutes and my bill is $175 a month including taxes. And I don't have to deal with all this pre pay hassle. I am a techie and could figure it out.

Yeah. Prepay makes sense if you are single person or maybe need two lines. But family plans on post paid makes sense a lot of the time.

I pay $180 after tax for 5 lines, all have UNLIMTED talk/text/web/insurance so I can't complain. I agree that prepay is good for people who don't use it a lot or want to save every month.

WayCool

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
They won't sell you the phone, I tried to get it for myself and said it was GoPhone...went to 5 different stores and they all said since there is such limited stock it's not being sold out of contract since "there is people who want to sign a contract to get it" those were their exact words. I said ok and just called Best Buy Mobile and ordered it over the phone. They price matched the AT&T off-contract price and I was good to go. I should get it Wednesday/Thursday.

Cool ! I wonder if they have micro sims for GoPhone ? The alternative is to just get the contract and then pay the ETF ($325) then cut the sim down to micro size.

ji37

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
I just bought a 900 off contract at Amazon. Do you think i'll be able to take the sim out of my existing ATT GoPhone and stick it in the 900? It's not a micro-sim, but if I cut it down, should it work? thanks!

0mie

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I cut the T-Mobile SIM myself and put it in the phone. It was detected just fine. I got the phone in the mail about an hour ago

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

WayCool

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Just got a tweet back from AT&T support on purchasing the 900 off contract to us with go phone... its a no go...

At least officially

ji37

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
i'm interested in gophone because my mobile use is sporadic. I live in a place with no cell signal, work from home most of the time, and only need cell when I head to town or travel. When I do, I use voice a lot. Therefore, I love the $2/day with unlimited voice from gophone (that's max $2/day only on the days I make/receive a call, which could be 3 or 4 days a month). As for data, I only need the email to trickle in and do infrequent searches (for tunes, I just whistle).

ji37

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
my 900 arrived today, i took it to the att store, and they hooked it up with a new sim to my existing gophone account. incredible device, and voice/data working fine on gophone.

cj-m

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
T-Mobile on 900?

I cut the T-Mobile SIM myself and put it in the phone. It was detected just fine. I got the phone in the mail about an hour ago

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Yes! I am going to high jack this thread! Tell us more?!

Did you get the non-commitment phone? Did you have to unlock it? Are you getting decent enough data speed, etc?

The reason i ask is that i want to get a 900 and bung my T-Mobile Sim card in there as well and am not too sure if it will work or if i have to get it unlocked, etc

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes! I am going to high jack this thread! Tell us more?!

Did you get the non-commitment phone? Did you have to unlock it? Are you getting decent enough data speed, etc?

The reason i ask is that i want to get a 900 and bung my T-Mobile Sim card in there as well and am not too sure if it will work or if i have to get it unlocked, etc

You'll only get Edge (2G) data speeds.

ji37

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
Here's an update. I purchased this phone from Amazon off contract for $449. I don't know if i had to unlock it, but i handed it to a nice fellow at an ATT store and asked him to put in a compatible gophone microsim and to make it use my existing gophone account. He slipped in the microsim and did some config work and made some calls to a support line, but not sure if 'unlocking' was one of the steps. (sorry, wish i could tell you what all that was).

Not 100% what MMS is, but i think it's not working. I took a pic and then tried to send it using the WP7 "Messaging" facility. It kept responding with "Can't send message, Try again" I could use this same Messaging thingy to send a text-only message.

A few more items....
--Build
My firmware version is: 2175.1022.8112.12084

--Speed
I don't know where else to check on what kind of speeds i'm getting, but the little note at the top of the screen next to the signal bars is saying 4G. I live in a place where ATT does not support LTE, so i must be tapping into some other 4G flavor. Sorry, i wish i knew more about this. If you can tell me where to look on the phone for more info, i'll report back.

--Data Config
First, to get the data to work, i had to add an APN (i subsequently removed it, and it seems to be a necessary step). I found these settings on some other thread:
1. Go to Settings
2. Select Cellular
3. Click Add APN (will read Edit APN if you've already got one!)
4. APN: wap.cingular
5. User name: wap@cingulargps.com
6. Password: cingular1

--GPS
since i update to the new build (12084) GPS is not working properly. I don't see anyone else having this problem, and i've logged a support request to nokia. looks like they aren't open until Monday.

ji37

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
Here's an update. I purchased this phone from Amazon off contract for $449. I don't know if i had to unlock it, but i handed it to a nice fellow at an ATT store and asked him to put in a compatible gophone microsim and to make it use my existing gophone account. He slipped in the microsim and did some config work and made some calls to a support line, but not sure if 'unlocking' was one of the steps. (sorry, wish i could tell you what all that was).

Not 100% what MMS is, but i think it's not working. I took a pic and then tried to send it using the WP7 "Messaging" facility. It kept responding with "Can't send message, Try again" I could use this same Messaging thingy to send a text-only message.

A few more items....
--Build
My firmware version is: 2175.1022.8112.12084

--Speed
I don't know where else to check on what kind of speeds i'm getting, but the little note at the top of the screen next to the signal bars is saying 4G. I live in a place where ATT does not support LTE, so i must be tapping into some other 4G flavor. Sorry, i wish i knew more about this. If you can tell me where to look on the phone for more info, i'll report back.

--Data Config
First, to get the data to work, i had to add an APN (i subsequently removed it, and it seems to be a necessary step). I found these settings on some other thread:
1. Go to Settings
2. Select Cellular
3. Click Add APN (will read Edit APN if you've already got one!)
4. APN: wap.cingular
5. User name: wap@cingulargps.com
6. Password: cingular1

--GPS
since i update to the new build (12084) GPS is not working properly. I don't see anyone else having this problem, and i've logged a support request to nokia. looks like they aren't open until Monday.
---GPS
just did a phone reset, and the GPS is working again. not sure what's up with that, but i'll take it.