Off contract gophone ?

WayCool

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone purchased the 900 off contract at an AT&T Store and used is via GoPhone ?

The website has some mumbo jumbo about off contract being month to month only and not for GoPhone ?

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
go with Straight Talk if you want prepaid. You won't have to unlock the phone. Make sure the Nokia connection app can edit the APN settings for MMS though or you wont get MMS.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
go with Straight Talk if you want prepaid. You won't have to unlock the phone. Make sure the Nokia connection app can edit the APN settings for MMS though or you wont get MMS.

Too bad the Network Setup app is no longer in the marketplace, so he will indeed not be able to use MMS (unless the phone automatically detects your MMS settings upon first boot like it does with unlocked devices).

Thuoudo

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
And too bad ST will boot you and you'll lose your number for using too much data in one day, according to their arbitrary and unknown limits...

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
And too bad ST will boot you and you'll lose your number for using too much data in one day, according to their arbitrary and unknown limits...

Hmm, was thinking of switching to them. Should I stick with Red Pocket then? The data limit is 2GB/month with unlimited talk and text for $60. I consistently enjoy HSPA+ speeds on my Lumia 800.

I've read mixed reviews about Straight Talk, some using 5GB of data without a problem, others being throttled before using even 1GB.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site

Basically:

ST Pros:
-Only $45
-Can get refill online or at WalMart
-Offers microSIM so you don't have to cut one yourself.

ST Cons:
-Unknown data limit (around 100MB a day, 2GB a month)
-Customer Service is terrible
-If you pass the data limit, you usually get one, maybe two warnings. After that, they kick you off, you may lose your number, and usually the remainder of your service.
-Need some sort of Connection or Network Setup app to setup MMS settings
-No LTE (as far ask I know)

Red Pocket Pros:
-Customer service is better than ST (which isn't saying much because ST is really really really terrible)
-KNOWN limit of 2GB of data, no daily limit

Red Pocket Cons:
-2GB is the max amount of data per month, don't think you're allowed to buy more (like an overage). Once you hit 2GB, data is cut off.
-$60, so $15 more than ST (Though you can find discounted refill cards)
-Also need a Network Setup app for MMS
-Data MAY be slightly throttled. I heard 1.5Mbps, though some people did post speed tests of 3.5Mbps. I guess YMMV, check howard forums for more info. I have not used RP so I can't comment on it personally.
-No LTE

GoPhone Pros:
-Add as much data as you want
-Data can rollover if you add another data package before your old data package expires.

GoPhone Cons:
-Speed is throttled. From what I remember, I had trouble getting past 1.5Mbps. Usually my speed tests were always 900kbps or 1.1Mbps. Don't know if that has changed since then.
-No LTE
-Data is expensive. $5 for 10MB, $15 for 100MB, $25 for 500MB.
-Unfortunately, I think you still need Network Setup app for MMS settings. If I'm wrong on this, someone please correct me.

Also, I have no idea if Red Pocket has a microSIM, or if you can get a microSIM for GoPhone. I have heard of some people getting a microSIM for GoPhone (they wanted to use an iPhone), but you obviously can't mention what phone it's for or else they'll probably say that's not allowed on prepaid.

This is all off the top of my head, so if I've forgotten something, I apologize.

Thuoudo

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
I would stick with RP just for the fact that you will get 2GBs of data, whether it takes you 29 days or 1 to use it all.

ST does offer roaming, but is that worth ~$10/mo less if you can't tether and have to watch your data use like a hawk? And there's always the risk of losing your number...

In the end it's your decision but I know what I'd do.

Edit: Re: alpinestars' post (just beat me to it!). I've hit 5Mbps down on GoPhone but upload speeds rarely go above .1Mbps (point 1 megabits/s). From all I've seen, RP doesn't throttle much, if at all, and you should easily get around 5D/1U on a regular basis. I've seen screenshots of 7-8 down which is H+ speed. And that depends on area and tower, naturally :)

Last edited:

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Interesting. I'm so tempted to buy a 900 but I just don't want to risk it. I have everything (including MMS) working on my Lumia 800 right now, but that's because I got the Network Setup app on it before it was taken down.

Its possible that the 900 will automatically detect MMS settings upon first boot, but I want to be sure of which sim card I want in there first. I was pretty sure I'd be switching to Straight Talk until a few hours ago when I read those horror stories. Now I'm leaning towards risking buying a 900 and booting it up with my Red Pocket sim, which would mean committing to sticking with them and not switching to Straight Talk because I'd have no Network Setup app with which to change MMS settings.

Ahhhh decisions, decisions :|

#FirstWorldProblems

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I would stick with RP just for the fact that you will get 2GBs of data, whether it takes you 29 days or 1 to use it all.

ST does offer roaming, but is that worth ~$10/mo less if you can't tether and have to watch your data use like a hawk? And there's always the risk of losing your number...

In the end it's your decision but I know what I'd do.

Edit: Re: alpinestars' post (just beat me to it!). I've hit 5Mbps down on GoPhone but upload speeds rarely go above .1Mbps (point 1 megabits/s). From all I've seen, RP doesn't throttle much, if at all, and you should easily get around 5D/1U on a regular basis. I've seen screenshots of 7-8 down which is H+ speed. And that depends on area and tower, naturally :)

Well there's your answer, looks like RP isn't throttling as much as I thought. It seems they're getting about the same speeds I would get on Straight Talk. Honestly, if you want to stream stuff, I would recommend RP since you won't have to worry about data so much. Plus, at $60 (or less if you're buying discounted refills), you're still saving tons of money vs AT&T postpaid.

Plus, RP customer service > ST customer service.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Well there's your answer, looks like RP isn't throttling as much as I thought. It seems they're getting about the same speeds I would get on Straight Talk. Honestly, if you want to stream stuff, I would recommend RP since you won't have to worry about data so much. Plus, at $60 (or less if you're buying discounted refills), you're still saving tons of money vs AT&T postpaid.

Plus, RP customer service > ST customer service.

From my experience, RP customer service isn't that great. It takes them AGES to answer the phone or an online chat (30 minutes or more usually) and though they're polite, they're not very helpful. I haven't had any experience with ST though so I can't compare.

I'd love to be able to make a video call on Tango or Skype from anywhere, even if there's no WiFi. But it seems to be a lose-lose with ST and RP. One will kick you off despite "unlimited" data, and the other you'd probably use up half your data with just one call!

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
From my experience, RP customer service isn't that great. It takes them AGES to answer the phone or an online chat (30 minutes or more usually) and though they're polite, they're not very helpful. I haven't had any experience with ST though so I can't compare.

I'd love to be able to make a video call on Tango or Skype from anywhere, even if there's no WiFi. But it seems to be a lose-lose with ST and RP. One will kick you off despite "unlimited" data, and the other you'd probably use up half your data with just one call!

Really? =/

Well Straight Talk customer service is outsourced, and while I'm sure the people answer the phone are not stupid, ST forces them to read from a script so a lot of the time, they cannot help me at all. So I usually end up getting transferred around until I get a supervisor or manager that know what they're doing.

Does anyone know how much data a Tango or Skype video call uses?

WayCool

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I have a First Gen Focus right now.. my guess is that the micro sim on GoPhone will be a No Go... So probably will have to cut the one I have myself ???

On GoPhone if you pay for at least 250 minutes ($25) a month you get unlimitted messaging (text, MMS) so MMS will certainly work .. or at least does now on my Focus.

It is also correct that VOICE carries over if you renew before it ends (for up to 90 days).. but data does NOT. Any data left at the end of the 30 days is lost.

I save a TON of money paying only for what I use.. I almost never go over 500meg a month and honestly I dont really conserve I just dont do things like stream music or video to the phone over 3G.

I average about $50 a month ($25 250 minutes + $25 500 meg data).

Basically I could pay the off contract price of a lumia in 11 months in month to month savings on GoPhone .. We dont have LTE where I live.. so.. the speeds are not that big a deal... :)

I'm just wondering if I can walk into an AT&T store and buy the phone off contract without questions .. and then cut my sim card and use GoPhone ?

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
I have a First Gen Focus right now.. my guess is that the micro sim on GoPhone will be a No Go... So probably will have to cut the one I have myself ???

On GoPhone if you pay for at least 250 minutes ($25) a month you get unlimitted messaging (text, MMS) so MMS will certainly work .. or at least does now on my Focus.

It is also correct that VOICE carries over if you renew before it ends (for up to 90 days).. but data does NOT. Any data left at the end of the 30 days is lost.

I save a TON of money paying only for what I use.. I almost never go over 500meg a month and honestly I dont really conserve I just dont do things like stream music or video to the phone over 3G.

I average about $50 a month ($25 250 minutes + $25 500 meg data).

Basically I could pay the off contract price of a lumia in 11 months in month to month savings on GoPhone .. We dont have LTE where I live.. so.. the speeds are not that big a deal... :)

I'm just wondering if I can walk into an AT&T store and buy the phone off contract without questions .. and then cut my sim card and use GoPhone ?

Yeah I wonder that too, but if you look at ATT online and click on the footnote for non-contract price, it tells you that its only offered for none-gophone/prepaid users.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
@ninjaap

Yep.. I read that .. thus the question.. Maybe I'll just go buy one and find out :p

I guess worst case scenario, we can always buy it at non-contract price, then cancel reoccuring monthly payments after a month or two and pop in a sim card? Unless, there's some fine print on that too... :confused:

ftap

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
Top bad you folks don't have or not eligible for FAN discounts with AT&T. I get a 24% discount including 24% off data and voice on all lines.

For those of us with families. 3 lines and up it's actually more economical to have post paid plans.

I have 4 lines (3 iPhone unlimited data plans) unlimited text and rollover minutes and my bill is $175 a month including taxes. And I don't have to deal with all this pre pay hassle. I am a techie and could figure it out.

Yeah. Prepay makes sense if you are single person or maybe need two lines. But family plans on post paid makes sense a lot of the time.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Top bad you folks don't have or not eligible for FAN discounts with AT&T. I get a 24% discount including 24% off data and voice on all lines.

For those of us with families. 3 lines and up it's actually more economical to have post paid plans.

I have 4 lines (3 iPhone unlimited data plans) unlimited text and rollover minutes and my bill is $175 a month including taxes. And I don't have to deal with all this pre pay hassle. I am a techie and could figure it out.

Yeah. Prepay makes sense if you are single person or maybe need two lines. But family plans on post paid makes sense a lot of the time.

Yeah contract is great if you got 3 or more on a line.

sent from the MyTouch 4G

0mie

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

They won't sell you the phone, I tried to get it for myself and said it was GoPhone...went to 5 different stores and they all said since there is such limited stock it's not being sold out of contract since "there is people who want to sign a contract to get it" those were their exact words. I said ok and just called Best Buy Mobile and ordered it over the phone. They price matched the AT&T off-contract price and I was good to go. I should get it Wednesday/Thursday.