Eh Battery Life

How is your battery life with medium usage?

• Total voters

texantony

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
My wife's phone (black 900) is getting 1 day 22 hours from a full charge, at least that's what it says on the battery status. My phone (white), was only getting 11 hours full charge.

Last night I did a phone reset and paid attention to every app I installed. The one that was hurting me the most was weather master. I also refused anything that asks for research or help. Still have a few more apps to install, but after a full charge today, my battery status now reads 1 day 12 hours. Not as good as my wife's phone, but then again, I do have more in there

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

ejb222

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Battery is great...plus it seems that the battery is taking less time to charge than a week ago. Seems crazy, but i swear its true.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
My wife's phone (black 900) is getting 1 day 22 hours from a full charge, at least that's what it says on the battery status. My phone (white), was only getting 11 hours full charge.

Last night I did a phone reset and paid attention to every app I installed. The one that was hurting me the most was weather master. I also refused anything that asks for research or help. Still have a few more apps to install, but after a full charge today, my battery status now reads 1 day 12 hours. Not as good as my wife's phone, but then again, I do have more in there

Good info, but it seems a shame to have to give up the OS features to get decent battery life.

texantony

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Good info, but it seems a shame to have to give up the OS features to get decent battery life.

Not really giving up much, except for not wanting to participate in any research that programs ask. It does ask if I want to participate. So it is optional. Push notifications, on the other hand, are on. I have live tiles with my new weather app, stocks app, etc. With all that I'm getting 36 hours.

rebride

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
More weird behaviour. Charging my phone for some hours takes it to 100% ok but leaving it on the charger I find later that the charge has somehow gone down and its chargng back up to 100% again? Anyone else experience this?
It's the 'smart battery' technology. Will charge to 100% than it drops a couple % than charges again. Not often will phone say 100% so people think it doesn't charge all the way up.

sdreamer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I wrote an article on a tip I found over at XDA to change your max radio signal. Maybe you can change to 3G and see if that works better on the MicroCell. Note that Edge will not work with the MC. LTE too fast for you. Try Edge on your Lumia 900 - Mobility Digest - Mobility Digest

I tried that, and I'm still getting only 90-110 mA draw from the battery on edge. Might as well leave it on 4G is the power draw is the same.

got3n

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
Another great 2 days on the batter.

Roughly 2 hours of talk time, 2 hours of streaming radio, bluetooth audio for about an hour total, gps for an hour while running (endomondo), zune randomly, exchange on 5 minute intervals.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Try turning off Facebook chat. Since I've done that, I'm at 73% after 7 hrs.

Thanks, I dont have chat turned on most of the time, only when I use it. Not sure if being turned on in settings makes a difference.

On another note my battery plumetted down to 17% from about 30% just now and battery saver had not kicked in, after turning it off and on again it activated and now at 16%. I should have a replacement from Amazon today so I guess I'll find out if my device is faulty which is looking increasingly likely.

MadSci2

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
There are a lot of things that influence you batter life. Best suggestion is to run the Nokia Diagnostics and look at your battery drainage. If nothing is going on it should be around 80-90 mA. Anything above that is an indication that your phone is doing something for you.

So then start looking at what it is doing. BT, WiFi, High screen rightness, these all draw a lot of juice. But from looking at this issue for a few years on WinMo and a year on WinPho it seems that the two usual suspects for a short-legged battery are poor signal quality and "Background" Apps.

If your signal quality is poor, your battery will get used up faster. Notice I said signal quality, not strength. Both influence battery life, but we all have a signal strength meter on the front of our phone (if this were an iPhone Forum we would have a Signal BS meter, but I digress). One way to indirectly measure signal quality is to look at your download speed. I 'm not near an LTE site, but both my work and home have "4G" with about the same strength, yet at work I can only manage 1.4Mb download, but at home its 5 Mb.

It doesn't take a genius to figure out that my phone's radio will take a lot longer to download a give chunk of data while I'm at work, and the longer it's exchanging data the more power it will use. Unsurprisingly my phone lasts twice as long at home than at work.

The otehr killer are poorly or maliciously designed Apps that are running away with your power by occupying your processor and/or cellular radio when you don't know about it.

So consider killing your background tasks, then checking to see how much less battery drain you have. Then delete Apps one by one and do the same. There's a good chance you will find one or more APp that is a battery-killer.

Lastly, if you're not in an LTE area, consider tweeking the phone to turn the LTE radios off.

Unless you live in a really poor reception area, you aught to get a day from yur phone battery. If not, try some of these fixes and don't stop until you get to the source of the problem. Frankly, I almost doubled my battery life this way, and I am getting all the use I need.

Good Luck,

MadSci2

RattleSnake506

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I am completely enjoying my Lumia 900... but the battery life is getting me thinking all the time.. From what I observed, on my phone, I only have the weather running in the background and 1 email syncing every 30 min and 1 email manually syncing. I still get more than 12 hrs with medium use I guess. Also noticed that talking on the phone uses up a lot of battery than other tasks like playing music etc.. which is expected I guess, but I am definitely not sure if the phone will deliver 7 hrs of 3g talk time as said in the specifications. I mainly talk in the morning (mostly on speaker phone) while going to work and probably 45 min to 1 hr of calling will bring the battery down to 80% or lower I was also wondering if I have get my phone replaced by Amazon and try a new piece of hardware and compare it with the one I have now. What do you guys think.

texantony

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I traded for a white phone and I regret it. I went from 46 hours to 16 hours.. Same apps

cluberti

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
You have to remember that your distance from cell towers, your screen brightness level (and if auto brightness is enabled or not), how often the screen is on, etc. will all contribute to battery life. Calling someone from a moving vehicle will ultimately use more juice than sitting still, for instance, as your phone gets further from a tower and has to start searching and connecting to the next one, etc), which increases transmit power (which is pretty expensive for a cell radio in terms of battery consumption). I always take manufacturer's numbers with a grain of salt, because they're always executed under ideal conditions - if I can get 75% of rated battery life under normal use, though, I'm happy. I'm probably going to trade in this old Focus for a Lumia next week, and I expect (given I know how my Focus does in certain areas) that I will get roughly 75-80% of what the phone is theoretically capable of. That's not bad, but if you only get 25-30% of what a phone is rated for (battery-wise) and you're sure it's not your usage or configuration on the phone, it's probably time to replace the device or contact the carrier (or probably both).

RattleSnake506

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
You have to remember that your distance from cell towers, your screen brightness level (and if auto brightness is enabled or not), how often the screen is on, etc. will all contribute to battery life. Calling someone from a moving vehicle will ultimately use more juice than sitting still, for instance, as your phone gets further from a tower and has to start searching and connecting to the next one, etc), which increases transmit power (which is pretty expensive for a cell radio in terms of battery consumption). I always take manufacturer's numbers with a grain of salt, because they're always executed under ideal conditions - if I can get 75% of rated battery life under normal use, though, I'm happy. I'm probably going to trade in this old Focus for a Lumia next week, and I expect (given I know how my Focus does in certain areas) that I will get roughly 75-80% of what the phone is theoretically capable of. That's not bad, but if you only get 25-30% of what a phone is rated for (battery-wise) and you're sure it's not your usage or configuration on the phone, it's probably time to replace the device or contact the carrier (or probably both).

Thank you for your insight..learned some new things.

LumiaFan101

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Battery Life Help

Hi Everyone!

I just got my new Nokia Lumia 900 last week and wanted to share a few things here. Some of them you may already know and some you may not, but either way I hope this will benefit you more. The main purpose of this post is to help you look at some settings that are draining your battery life.

It seems as though the issue of the battery life is 50/50 here where some are satisfied and others are unhappy, but you also have to consider usage and the apps and settings on your phone. Here are some tips on configuring your settings to help improve battery life:

First, lets go into your Settings. When you first open them you will see your settings for System.

-Wi-Fi: If you're not using this, turn it off until the next time you do. And always remember to shut it off when you are finished browsing. If you leave this setting On your device is constantly finding networks and it does drain your battery.

-Bluetooth: Only use this sparingly, more so when you are driving and use a headset to avoid getting a ticket. When you are done, immediately shut it off or it will continue to search for devices to connect to and will drain your battery life.

-Internet Sharing: If you're not sharing with any other device, disable this as well. Same thing goes for the previous step, it will drain your battery because it's searching for devices and networks.

-Email+Accounts: For the accounts that are not so important and can wait, set the account to Manually receive e-mails or to a longer retrieval setting, such as hourly or every 2 hours if needed. This will decrease retrieval time from the network and also save battery life.

-Lock+Wallpaper: In this setting I have the Show artist when playing music setting to Off and the Screen Time Out set to 30 seconds. Again, the shorter your screen is lit up, the more battery life you are saving. Easy setting here. I'm not sure if that artist when playing music will make a difference, but I set it off to try. You can always enable it if you want it back ;)

-Location: While some of us do like to have this on, having it off is much more beneficial given that its not searching and locating your phone on the network every so often (not exactly sure how often it searches for locations), but again, this does drain your battery life if it set to On.

HOWEVER, with correct settings you can still have this setting enabled to balance out your battery life, but if you find that it is still draining, try turning this feature off for a while to see if there is a difference. I have found that the battery life does a good job with this setting On and other features turned off (as I have mentioned here) because it balances the life of the battery. This depends on your preferences too.

-Brightness: Having your screen too bright does use battery life, especially if you are constantly running your apps and games on the phone. In this setting, turn the Automatically adjust feature On and set the Level to Low. This will help to save your battery by not using the battery so much to light the screen.

-Battery Saver: This is VERY useful, however you will find that you can only keep it on when your battery becomes critically low or until your next charge. I do find this a little annoying as this would be a great battery saver because it helps to disable programs running in the background that drain your battery.

So all I can say about this option is to check the box for the Always turn on Battery Saver when battery is low option. You can also run this if you are having trouble getting your settings to balance out for better battery life.

Keep in mind that I have read to only use this option in desperate measures. I would agree given that it only stays on temporarily.

-Find My Phone: If you find that you are like me and easily "misplace" your phone, keep this setting enabled and select the option to Save my location every few hours but do not select the other option as it clearly tells you that it WILL use more battery life. Selecting the option for every few hours help to save your battery by using this setting every few hours, as it says.

-Feedback: I could care less about feedback when it comes to this. Disable this feature and leave it Off as you are better off leaving feedback to Microsoft using your own computer rather than your Windows Phone and draining more life from your battery.

So now that we have checked the System settings, lets move over the right and check out the Applications settings.

-Background Tasks: Opening this option shows your programs running in the background. If you're not using them, turn them off and you will notice an improvement in the battery life in some way or another.

Keep in mind that these apps in this list may become enabled when you re-open them, so you may need to go back here from time to time to save battery life again.

-Games: Turning this feature off saves your battery life by not connecting to Xbox Live for score updates and achievements. Again, you can always enable this, play a game, and when finished come back to disable it for saving battery life. This keeps your phone from connecting to the xbox live network for updates. It DOES help save battery life when not in use.

-Internet Explorer: Here you can delete browsing history and cookies for browsing to free up some space. This is not a battery saver but I did want to mention it.

-Maps: This option has a setting for Use my location. This goes back to location using battery life, so it's up to you here if you want to disable it. I keep mine enables because I use my GPS on a medium level so its helpful to keep it enabled. Again, this is your choice here.

-Music+Videos: In this option you will find a setting to Connect with Zune. If you use Zune for a music account, keep this enabled. If you don't and you use something else (such as iTunes) disable this option as it will no longer connect to the network to find music updates. Keep in mind that updating your music is also something you can do when connecting your phone to your computer.

-Pictures+Camera: In this option you will find two settings that mention to include location info on your photos. Disable this feature to lower your location usage and help save battery life. This can also help enhance privacy if you find that you don't want other people knowing your location.

-Search: There is also a location setting in here for when you search for something. With this enabled it searches locally from your location, but again, you can always disable this to also help save battery life. It's up to you on this one, but I recommend keeping it On if you do use your browser on your phone.

That pretty much covers the Settings. One other note that I wanted to add is that if you see Live Tiles where they are animating things on your home screen, check and see if you can adjust a setting for that tile to just one single image or to Disable any live broadcasts as this will also save battery life.

Remember that you can always return to any of these settings for future reference and to re-enable a setting or to go back and disable it. Either way it is not going to harm your phone or battery if you follow these simple steps. I hope this helps as I have noticed a major improvement and less drainage during the ENTIRE day, not just half of a day, lol. Have fun!:D

aarondr

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Ok, I was switching back and forth between an Android device and the lumia over the weekend (for fun and profit! I'm selling my wife's old Android phone). I was getting MEH battery life, but lately I've been doing great. I've streamed Last.fm for over 9 hours today, played ARMED! and Sonic 4 for an hour total - about 15 minutes of calls and constant on/off for e-mail checking/replying. I have 2 ActiveSync push mail setup + 3 other e-mail accounts at 15 & 30 minutes. All in all a pretty hard load, even by iPhone standards - sitting at 37%! WTF?? I was a shave above that at noon last week with only local music, no streaming.

Guess it's Windows - so maybe "reboot thrice" has fixed it? FB Chat is on, in fact, everything is on!

aarondr

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, I dont have chat turned on most of the time, only when I use it. Not sure if being turned on in settings makes a difference.

On another note my battery plumetted down to 17% from about 30% just now and battery saver had not kicked in, after turning it off and on again it activated and now at 16%. I should have a replacement from Amazon today so I guess I'll find out if my device is faulty which is looking increasingly likely.

Hey - try running it down to like 1%. Sometimes the battery gets confused. I remember I had battery saver kick on and then the battery went back up after a while. They need to recalibrate themselves sometimes and a near complete run down helps it figure out how full it actually is.

TechFitGJ

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Outstanding battery life here. I came from the galaxy s 2 and i couldn't even get through school with that thing. This battery is wonderful.

SuperGrafx

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Quick question on battery life...I travel internationally on business often.
My first trip since getting my new Lumia is next month. I normally use my phone on the plane (with Airplane Mode on of course) for gaming and entertainment. I typically fly Delta which doesn't always have charge ports or outlets in the seat/aisles.

What do you guys suggest to keep my phone running on a 10+hour trip? One of those external battery packs or what else?

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Quick question on battery life...I travel internationally on business often.
My first trip since getting my new Lumia is next month. I normally use my phone on the plane (with Airplane Mode on of course) for gaming and entertainment. I typically fly Delta which doesn't always have charge ports or outlets in the seat/aisles.

What do you guys suggest to keep my phone running on a 10+hour trip? One of those external battery packs or what else?

An external battery pack definitely to be safe, they aren't very expensive. Otherwise I'd turn on battery saver mode immediately and put your brightness on low. Your radios will already be off so your biggest battery drain will be screen and the GPU from gaming probably.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720