04-13-2012 04:41 PM
73 123
tools
    Holy moly that's a lot of info. Thanks guys. I was just really upset and really wanted to keep it and I figured if anyone could snap me out of my brief period of loathing it would be you guys.

I'm setting up all the info to sync back to my phone and installing Zune and all that good stuff.

Hopefully I'll grow to love it like you guys!
    Mengels,

First, sorry for some of the other posts in this forum. Completely uncalled for and just plain rude.

Second, let me say this- there's nothing wrong with liking iOS or Android more than WP7. There are advantages to all of the systems out there and not everything is going to fit everyone's desires, preferences, and needs.

Third, I wasn't so sure about the tiles when I moved from my iPhone either. If Apple had done tiles and I'd been using that paradigm for years I'm sure I'd be just as reluctant about the current "grids of icons" that are popular now. I'll say this, however- I've had a WP7 for over a year now and I can't imagine going back. The tiles, once they feel "natural" after a couple of weeks, are outstanding. Here's a few things you absolutely must do to understand them, however:

Get some live tiles and arrange them as you like. Here are some great choices: Weather Channel, My Stocks, Livescape, Wonder Reader, BBC Mobile, Fox News (yeah, I know, but their live tile is cool), Arkwords. Watch them update and it's really awesome.

Fourth, understand that there are shortcomings in WP7 (notifications anyone?) but some excellent advantages that the other ecosystems just don't do at all. Here are some:

Facebook calendar. Super awesome. Set up a FB event or just get invited to one and it will automatically appear on your calendar and you can click into it to see the related wall, guest list, respond join/decline.

Info. It's all about information in WP7. You can click all kinds of things to move around in the info world. Like in the Message hub, you can click someone's name to get straight to their contact info. From there, you can swipe to see their recent social network updates, then swipe to see all their publicly available albums. Another swipe shows you all the interaction history you have with that contact. You don't get that in iOS or Android.

Integration. Download OpenTable. Then use Bing to search a local restaurant. Swipe over to "Local" in results, then hit reserve a table. Boom, pure integration with apps. You can do the same thing with products and launch Ebay/Amazon. You can do the same thing with pictures and launch any registered picture modification app. It's called AppConnect and it connects data with tasks. The other 2 systems are just app platforms.

Pinning. I love pinning. At the bottom of my start screen I have a tile that doesn't do anything called "To-Do" (download sticky tiles if you want to do this). I have a Onenote notebook with a page called "To-Do" that I pin in that section. One click launches my things to do. It syncs automatically with my computer. With the web. With my gf's computer. Etc. Onenote is powerful and great on this phone.

Try pinning a place. For example, I wanted to go to a restaurant called "Tantra," and I wanted to remember that- so I bing searched it, pulled it up on a map, tapped the location marker "Tanta" and pinned it. Now there's a reminder and a little map on my start screen under my "To-Do" section. Click it and you are right back to the map and can start directions, get reservations, check reviews... you get the idea. (In related news, if you reserve a table through OpenTable, you can pin that reservation and it'll flip over reminding you when it is. Cool).

Fifth: Weakneses. WP7 does have them. We typically get apps later than the rest. To be fair, the Marketplace has an equivalent for... almost all the major apps currently on iOS / Android. Some of them aren't as good, but I'd say some are better- OpenTable is the example I've been using, so that's a good example- the pinning is better. Zune is better than Pandora/Spotify. Office is better than the random lousy office apps on either iOS or Android. Games... not as many, but getting better. (Try The Harvest, it's cool). Oh, and at least WP7 has a well developed trial system for their marketplace. Got so tired of buying an app that just sucked and just having to eat it. Anyway, back to the point- notifications also could be better, and I expect we'll see that in WP8. Very frustrating hearing a "beep" and going to the phone a few min later and having no idea what generated the notification.

Six: Cloud
    I know Google is the techy fanboi cloud god, but try live. Hotmail is quite good now, and the Office suites are fantastic. But really, I'd want you to try Skydrive. Go to Photos, make an Album, and upload 30-40 photos. Then go to your phone. Open Pictures, and then push albums. Your cloud hosted album is right there, seamlessly on your phone. You can view/manipulate it just as if it were local. It's simple, it's elegant, and it just works.

Anyway, hope this helps a little. I currently have all three phones, mostly for work development and testing, so I could use any of them. I use WP7 because I like the way you do things on it, the stability, and the integration. I find that I miss 1 or 2 apps, but that's it. (WWF- not the best scrabble clone, but the most popular.)

Feel free to ask questions if you like.
    Mengels7 likes this.
    04-12-2012 01:15 PM
    off topic, arggggg just realized most ppl have their wife/gf pinned to the start screen to see their latest update where i don't even have my gf's facebook yet... (won't give it to me T__T)

anyway, to OP most of the time most users on this site is really helpful and nice, but if you start a post by attacking them first does tend to land on some spiky grounds...

apps are definitely one of the weak point for wp at the moment, but can't blame them and alot of them will definitely come soon, for the time I've watched and used wp it's only gotten better and that was just one year

copy and paste(some have already posted just reiterating) just simply tap a word you want to copy, then tap and hold either side to expand the selection, i actually find it easier to use than other platforms (except for select all... i mess that up from time to time, ios does this better with the options popping up)

any other os related issue you would like to bring up? (apps i cant do much)
    04-12-2012 01:37 PM
    any other os related issue you would like to bring up? (apps i cant do much)
    Uhmm...rotation lock...am I missing something or does it not exist? Using the phone in bed last night was a pain...
    04-12-2012 03:29 PM
    off topic, arggggg just realized most ppl have their wife/gf pinned to the start screen to see their latest update where i don't even have my gf's facebook yet... (won't give it to me T__T)
    Way off topic....

Your g/f won't give you her Facebook? Did you start dating like yesterday or does she not want you to meet her other boyfriend yet?
    04-12-2012 03:32 PM
    Uhmm...rotation lock...am I missing something or does it not exist? Using the phone in bed last night was a pain...
    Oh yeah, I agree. Lack of rotation lock is annoying. It can be done- some apps have a lock internally, but yeah, it's annoying.
    04-12-2012 03:46 PM
    I don't see why so many folks who like WP7 are getting upset at this question. Here's a perfect chance to convert someone to the best mobile OS around and yet there's people giving him trouble for asking for direction. Don't be like Apple users.
    04-12-2012 06:58 PM
    You know, it's comments like this that make WP7 users look bad. Not everything is for everyone, and there are some very clear advantages with iOS. Some for WP7, also, but really...
    really its my comment that makes WP look bad ? not his with the Whats wrong with all of you? Cmon man i'm just pointing out the obvious 99% of these complaints on this board are people not giving the OS time to either grow further or let themselves get used to it.We all knew coming over here from iOS or android that their would be some changes/growing pains, but the majority of us who dont have REAL issues with our phones don't whine about every little thing
    04-12-2012 08:06 PM
    Like someone pointed out, starting off your post with "What's wrong with all of you" like WE went with him to make him purchase the Lumia is what rubbed people (myself included) the wrong way
    04-13-2012 12:13 AM
    Mengels,

First, sorry for some of the other posts in this forum. Completely uncalled for and just plain rude.
    No one asked you to apologize for them so don't. He started this thread with inflammatory (and borderline ignorant) remarks. The responses are well within the tone he set.
    04-13-2012 12:42 AM
    No one asked you to apologize for them so don't. He started this thread with inflammatory (and borderline ignorant) remarks. The responses are well within the tone he set.
    I don't know about you, but I prefer to think that us Win Phone supporters are a step above the random Android and iPhone fanbois.
    cba191 likes this.
    04-13-2012 01:24 AM
    Yeah okay apologies for the "what's wrong with all of you" remark, and I'm warming up to the phone, but I maintain that the web browser is garbage in comparison. I still have to try that mentioned third party one.

Here's a new one though: The music player on here is not up to par.
    A. The volume is ridiculous, there is no "quiet" volume. Even 1/30 is somewhat loud listening to music.
    B. There's no separation between Headphone and Speaker volume. I want full volume plugged into my car, but less when unplugged. I guess it's just another compromise I have to make to move away from iOS. *sigh*

I'd still never recommend this thing to anyone. It's a fun toy and I'm hoping it grows into more.

Also since enough people ripped on me for my copy/paste comment:

It was like a minute. I know how to use the freaking copy/paste, I'm pretty tech savvy, not that it's difficult at all to activate. For the life of me, I could not get the anchors to stop where I wanted. Perhaps I could have zoomed in more for extra control? Didn't mean to emphasize that issue.
    04-13-2012 01:27 AM
    Hmm, are there any particular advantages to the browser that you like?

If I didn't have an open mind to change, I wouldn't have burned my upgrade on a Windows Phone...

The Facebook and Twitter apps are not as good as their iOS/Android counterparts. Much slower, missing little things, and I can't stress enough that text outside of the Windows Phone interface is ugly.

Where are the Zynga games? Where's Pinterest? The new Angry Birds Space? HBO Go? I have plenty of other apps I'm not really -dependant- on but the combination of the poor Facebook/Twitter apps and the lack of the Zynga games I play with my friends really turned me off a bit :-\
    Pinterst = Pinsation (I guess you couldn't figure out how to search the Marketplace either), ABS is coming says Robio, the Twitter app sucks, use Rowi, the best Twitter app on any OS. The Metro UI is beautiful, if you can't see that, then I would hate to see your choice in women.
    04-13-2012 01:27 AM
    Wait, you said 1/30 isn't low? LOLOLOLOL whatttttttt? You must be Superman bro, with those ears.

iOS doesn't change volume when plugged in. Sorry.

Please take this phone back while you're still within your 30 days. Please. It's too new for you, honestly.
    04-13-2012 01:32 AM
    We don't need to beat him up anymore about his OP. It took a few days before I fully got the hang of my Focus as well.
    I stuck it out, and will never go back. My 900 will be here tomorrow, and I don't see myself ever going back to iOS. I'll be getting WP8 next year, and will continue to use the the WP OS for as long as I can.
    There are things it doesn't currently do, but I'm confident that it will happen in the near future. The more people that stick with it, the quicker the ecosystem will improve.
    04-13-2012 01:37 AM
    lock screen thing, i agree, pretty annoying crossing finger for apollo to fix that

but for 1/30 volumn thing, u can hear that? i couldn't really hear anything beyond 3/30... i guess i listen to too much loud music

seperation of volumn, i know its not there, same thing cross finger for apollo, but i never really had a need for it so i don't know how high in the priority list that is right now, may want to go to that suggestion site and put a vote in for it if you want it very badly

@jbjtkbw007
    heheheh, well we've been together for 7 years now, my(and her) friends never understood why she won't give it to me either, her reasoning was that we live together already so she wants some privacy some where (?? ya i didn't buy it...)
    04-13-2012 02:03 AM
    Wait, you said 1/30 isn't low? LOLOLOLOL whatttttttt? You must be Superman bro, with those ears.

iOS doesn't change volume when plugged in. Sorry.

Please take this phone back while you're still within your 30 days. Please. It's too new for you, honestly.
    ...Excuse me? iOS's music app DOES change volume when headphones are plugged in. Sorry.

1/30 is plenty low for the ringer and system volume, but in the music player it's not quiet. I don't have a number to compare it to, probably 10-15. This is with my own music files and the Zune files. I usually used the Sound Check option on iPhone/iTunes but even without that turned on it wasn't as bad as this.
    04-13-2012 02:45 AM
    Pinterst = Pinsation (I guess you couldn't figure out how to search the Marketplace either), ABS is coming says Robio, the Twitter app sucks, use Rowi, the best Twitter app on any OS. The Metro UI is beautiful, if you can't see that, then I would hate to see your choice in women.
    Can you even read? I said the Metro UI looked great, I mentioned that text in certain apps and the web browser was unpleasant. Also, I'm not a huge fan of third party apps for big services, but I'll give those a shot. Thanks for the suggestions. You're so, so, rude by the way.
    04-13-2012 02:48 AM
    Yeah I have the same "issue" as Mengels. When listening music via the phone speakers, even 1/30 is loud.
    04-13-2012 03:50 AM
    I don't know about you, but I prefer to think that us Win Phone supporters are a step above the random Android and iPhone fanbois.
    I'd rather not be group with people that lash out without reason versus those responding negatively to something that was negative in the first place
    ramrac and steve_w_7 like this.
    04-13-2012 05:23 AM
    Don't bother downloading a 3rd party browser, you will still hate it.

I honestly am waiting for the "I'm leaving WP" thread from you.

No part of me believes you are going to keep this phone.

Let me ask this, what website do you frequent where you have such a hard-on for the browser sucking?

What about the phone do you even like??
    04-13-2012 09:50 AM
    ...Excuse me? iOS's music app DOES change volume when headphones are plugged in. Sorry.

1/30 is plenty low for the ringer and system volume, but in the music player it's not quiet. I don't have a number to compare it to, probably 10-15. This is with my own music files and the Zune files. I usually used the Sound Check option on iPhone/iTunes but even without that turned on it wasn't as bad as this.
    Is your volume on 15 the same as having it on 1, or is it progressive as normal? I'm asking because there's a bug in some Lumia 800 in which the volume below 15 has erratic behavior.

Also, you brought the flames upon yourself. You started the thread with an inflammatory attitude, most people here would simply try to help you without any criticism if you hadn't done that.
    steve_w_7 and Dave Blake like this.
    04-13-2012 10:14 AM
    Is your volume on 15 the same as having it on 1, or is it progressive as normal? I'm asking because there's a bug in some Lumia 800 in which the volume below 15 has erratic behavior.

Also, you brought the flames upon yourself. You started the thread with an inflammatory attitude, most people here would simply try to help you without any criticism if you hadn't done that.

Nah, there's a difference between 1 and 15. Again, it's just with music that the files off of Zune marketplace have a louder volume and aren't quiet at the 1/30 volume. Apparently there's nothing I can do about that.

I'm gonna copy and paste out the good info from this thread, can a mod lock it or something and let it die? I'm using the phone. I'm sticking with it. I appreciate the encouragement and advice from some of you. At this point all the thread would be is me pointing out all the things the phone can't do or does worse than my old iPhone. And then you'll all call me a troll. Sooo yeah let's end this. I look forward to participating on the forums here.
    04-13-2012 04:17 PM
    You got it and we are all glad you decided to stay.
    04-13-2012 04:41 PM
73 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD