Quick! Convince me I'm wrong and to not sell my phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mengels7

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Holy moly that's a lot of info. Thanks guys. I was just really upset and really wanted to keep it and I figured if anyone could snap me out of my brief period of loathing it would be you guys.

I'm setting up all the info to sync back to my phone and installing Zune and all that good stuff.

Hopefully I'll grow to love it like you guys!

anon(5339784)

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
Websearch for Zune Social Tagger, install it, use it to link your Music to the Zune Market, enjoy the new, nicer Music Player experience with Artist Backgrounds, be thankful. :)

kevinrstruck

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Who buys a phone with a different OS without doing research first. The fact you did not know the apps you want are missing for this OS before you bought the phone is telling in itself. Did you not research anything? Did you not take the time to go to a store and play with another Windows phone to see if it was something you would like?

Dude, take back the phone and go back to iOS. If it suites you well, and you like it, and all of the apps you want/need are available, then you will be happier. If not, maybe give Android a try.

No one should need to convince you of what phone you use. That is your preference and yours alone.

ubizmo

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
In addition to things that have already been said, I'd add that there is a Suggestion Box app, for adding one's voice to support various ideas for improving WP (and this can be done from a web site too). If nothing else, this proves that MS is listening to what users are saying. It doesn't prove that everything will be "fixed", but it's reason for optimism, in comparison to the stone wall that other OSs present to users. There are a lot of suggestions for improvements to the browser, and for support for uploading of files other than photos, etc. MS would be crazy to ignore all of this.

That said, if the OP's experience is really bad, it's probably not a good idea to stick around, hoping for specific improvements when the OS is updated. It's always better to base decisions on what's there now.

steve_w_7

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I couldn't stand it after 5 hours or so. I came from my iPhone 4 hoping to really love Windows Phone as I am sick of Apple's bull**** lately. What is wrong with all of you? The app selection is terrible. The apps are uglier and less functional. The web browser is horrendous.
When you start your post by saying "what is wrong with all of you?" don't act surprised when a few people get defensive.

Last edited:

ousooner314

May 6, 2011
Visit site
When you start your post by saying "what is wrong with all of you?" don't act surprised when a few people get defensive.
To add to this, you also mentioned you used it for 5 hours. I'm assuming you've had the iPhone for a couple of years. It takes more than a few hours to get used to a completely new platform. Play with it for a week or so, get all the apps you need (which are available for WP), and you'll start to get the hang of it. Just like you got acquainted with the iPhone, you have to play with this phone to figure out all the features and ways of getting things done. Good luck, and hope you end up liking it!!

hellomiggy

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Google is your best friend, also other Windows Phone 7 websites. I use this website and Windows Phone , you'll get help no matter where you go. That's what it is for, it is your phone and you can do as you please with it. Remember though, 30 days in case you don't want it.

Fleon

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
hit it on the head! Everyone with "issues" basically fits in this category. So locked into their old paradigm they dont even see the greatness that is this OS. My brother is an apple devotee and he even likes the OS better than iOS. People need to breathe and readjust

You know, it's comments like this that make WP7 users look bad. Not everything is for everyone, and there are some very clear advantages with iOS. Some for WP7, also, but really...

Fleon

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Holy moly that's a lot of info. Thanks guys. I was just really upset and really wanted to keep it and I figured if anyone could snap me out of my brief period of loathing it would be you guys.

I'm setting up all the info to sync back to my phone and installing Zune and all that good stuff.

Hopefully I'll grow to love it like you guys!

Mengels,

First, sorry for some of the other posts in this forum. Completely uncalled for and just plain rude.

Second, let me say this- there's nothing wrong with liking iOS or Android more than WP7. There are advantages to all of the systems out there and not everything is going to fit everyone's desires, preferences, and needs.

Third, I wasn't so sure about the tiles when I moved from my iPhone either. If Apple had done tiles and I'd been using that paradigm for years I'm sure I'd be just as reluctant about the current "grids of icons" that are popular now. I'll say this, however- I've had a WP7 for over a year now and I can't imagine going back. The tiles, once they feel "natural" after a couple of weeks, are outstanding. Here's a few things you absolutely must do to understand them, however:

Get some live tiles and arrange them as you like. Here are some great choices: Weather Channel, My Stocks, Livescape, Wonder Reader, BBC Mobile, Fox News (yeah, I know, but their live tile is cool), Arkwords. Watch them update and it's really awesome.

Fourth, understand that there are shortcomings in WP7 (notifications anyone?) but some excellent advantages that the other ecosystems just don't do at all. Here are some:

Facebook calendar. Super awesome. Set up a FB event or just get invited to one and it will automatically appear on your calendar and you can click into it to see the related wall, guest list, respond join/decline.

Info. It's all about information in WP7. You can click all kinds of things to move around in the info world. Like in the Message hub, you can click someone's name to get straight to their contact info. From there, you can swipe to see their recent social network updates, then swipe to see all their publicly available albums. Another swipe shows you all the interaction history you have with that contact. You don't get that in iOS or Android.

Integration. Download OpenTable. Then use Bing to search a local restaurant. Swipe over to "Local" in results, then hit reserve a table. Boom, pure integration with apps. You can do the same thing with products and launch Ebay/Amazon. You can do the same thing with pictures and launch any registered picture modification app. It's called AppConnect and it connects data with tasks. The other 2 systems are just app platforms.

Pinning. I love pinning. At the bottom of my start screen I have a tile that doesn't do anything called "To-Do" (download sticky tiles if you want to do this). I have a Onenote notebook with a page called "To-Do" that I pin in that section. One click launches my things to do. It syncs automatically with my computer. With the web. With my gf's computer. Etc. Onenote is powerful and great on this phone.

Try pinning a place. For example, I wanted to go to a restaurant called "Tantra," and I wanted to remember that- so I bing searched it, pulled it up on a map, tapped the location marker "Tanta" and pinned it. Now there's a reminder and a little map on my start screen under my "To-Do" section. Click it and you are right back to the map and can start directions, get reservations, check reviews... you get the idea. (In related news, if you reserve a table through OpenTable, you can pin that reservation and it'll flip over reminding you when it is. Cool).

Fifth: Weakneses. WP7 does have them. We typically get apps later than the rest. To be fair, the Marketplace has an equivalent for... almost all the major apps currently on iOS / Android. Some of them aren't as good, but I'd say some are better- OpenTable is the example I've been using, so that's a good example- the pinning is better. Zune is better than Pandora/Spotify. Office is better than the random lousy office apps on either iOS or Android. Games... not as many, but getting better. (Try The Harvest, it's cool). Oh, and at least WP7 has a well developed trial system for their marketplace. Got so tired of buying an app that just sucked and just having to eat it. Anyway, back to the point- notifications also could be better, and I expect we'll see that in WP8. Very frustrating hearing a "beep" and going to the phone a few min later and having no idea what generated the notification.

Six: Cloud
I know Google is the techy ****** cloud god, but try live. Hotmail is quite good now, and the Office suites are fantastic. But really, I'd want you to try Skydrive. Go to Photos, make an Album, and upload 30-40 photos. Then go to your phone. Open Pictures, and then push albums. Your cloud hosted album is right there, seamlessly on your phone. You can view/manipulate it just as if it were local. It's simple, it's elegant, and it just works.

Anyway, hope this helps a little. I currently have all three phones, mostly for work development and testing, so I could use any of them. I use WP7 because I like the way you do things on it, the stability, and the integration. I find that I miss 1 or 2 apps, but that's it. (WWF- not the best scrabble clone, but the most popular.)

Feel free to ask questions if you like.

Nataku4ca

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
off topic, arggggg just realized most ppl have their wife/gf pinned to the start screen to see their latest update where i don't even have my gf's facebook yet... (won't give it to me T__T)

anyway, to OP most of the time most users on this site is really helpful and nice, but if you start a post by attacking them first does tend to land on some spiky grounds...

apps are definitely one of the weak point for wp at the moment, but can't blame them and alot of them will definitely come soon, for the time I've watched and used wp it's only gotten better and that was just one year

copy and paste(some have already posted just reiterating) just simply tap a word you want to copy, then tap and hold either side to expand the selection, i actually find it easier to use than other platforms (except for select all... i mess that up from time to time, ios does this better with the options popping up)

any other os related issue you would like to bring up? (apps i cant do much)

jbjtkbw007

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
off topic, arggggg just realized most ppl have their wife/gf pinned to the start screen to see their latest update where i don't even have my gf's facebook yet... (won't give it to me T__T)

Way off topic....

Your g/f won't give you her Facebook? Did you start dating like yesterday or does she not want you to meet her other boyfriend yet? :straight:

Fleon

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Uhmm...rotation lock...am I missing something or does it not exist? Using the phone in bed last night was a pain...
Oh yeah, I agree. Lack of rotation lock is annoying. It can be done- some apps have a lock internally, but yeah, it's annoying.

westwaswon

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
I don't see why so many folks who like WP7 are getting upset at this question. Here's a perfect chance to convert someone to the best mobile OS around and yet there's people giving him trouble for asking for direction. Don't be like Apple users.

AndreaCristiano

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
You know, it's comments like this that make WP7 users look bad. Not everything is for everyone, and there are some very clear advantages with iOS. Some for WP7, also, but really...

really its my comment that makes WP look bad ? not his with the Whats wrong with all of you? Cmon man i'm just pointing out the obvious 99% of these complaints on this board are people not giving the OS time to either grow further or let themselves get used to it.We all knew coming over here from iOS or android that their would be some changes/growing pains, but the majority of us who dont have REAL issues with our phones don't whine about every little thing

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Like someone pointed out, starting off your post with "What's wrong with all of you" like WE went with him to make him purchase the Lumia is what rubbed people (myself included) the wrong way

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Mengels,

First, sorry for some of the other posts in this forum. Completely uncalled for and just plain rude.

No one asked you to apologize for them so don't. He started this thread with inflammatory (and borderline ignorant) remarks. The responses are well within the tone he set.

Fleon

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
No one asked you to apologize for them so don't. He started this thread with inflammatory (and borderline ignorant) remarks. The responses are well within the tone he set.

I don't know about you, but I prefer to think that us Win Phone supporters are a step above the random Android and iPhone fanbois.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb