Quick! Convince me I'm wrong and to not sell my phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

evilrobot

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I couldn't stand it after 5 hours or so. I came from my iPhone 4 hoping to really love Windows Phone as I am sick of Apple's bull**** lately. What is wrong with all of you? The app selection is terrible. The apps are uglier and less functional. The web browser is horrendous.

That's what really did it for me, the web browser. Everything is rendered awkwardly. Does it not use webkit? The copy and paste was awful. I spent a good 3 minutes trying to copy/paste a link and gave up.

Why does anyone use this over iOS or Android other than "it's different and fresh and links my accounts together?" Seriously please someone tell me why it's better. I wanted so much to enjoy this but I just can't find any functional advantage over iOS, only disadvantages.

I've got the thing on eBay and the auction ends in a couple hours but the tinkery nerd side of me still wants to keep the phone.
Here's why I left iOS (4 and 4S) for Windows Phone and won't go back, hopefully this will help you out - but I love the metro interface and it works for me - maybe iOS works better for you - nothing wrong with that.

1) Email: I have an (s)exchange account for work, a hotmail account, and a gmail account. I really like that I can separate the exchange/outlook account, but also make a combined inbox for my two personal accounts (hotmail/gmail).

2) XBox Live integration (big 360 fan).

3) Facebook/Twitter integration (don't really need the facebook/twitter apps so if they are worse on WP7 that doesn't really bother me as I'd rather use the People hub and have it all in one place). It's also awesome that I can view my photos and friends photos from facebook right in the Pictures app.

4) I can uninstall anything I want. It really PO's me that Apple forces apps like Stocks and Newstand on me. On WP7 if I don't like it, I can remove it.

5) People Tiles. I have a tile for my wife that keeps track of all of our communication in one place. I can see missed calls, texts, facebook updates, etc. from her with one quick glance at my phone without ever even having to open an app.

6) Speed. Most things that take 3-5 clicks on iOS I can do in 1-2 clicks on WP7, if I even need to click at all since I have Live Tiles.

7) Zune Pass. If you like music this is awesome.

8) Office. Google apps and the alternatives on iOS don't really compare.

What I don't like about WP7

1) The games are overpriced compared to iOS/Android but I have hope that pricing parity will come into play. This was mentioned not to long ago on a slide from an internal MS meeting so they know it is a problem and are planning to address it.

2) Some major apps are still missing (for me these are Mint and HBO Go). The OS is still relatively young though, and it's quickly gaining steam. We have more apps than Android or iOS did at this point in their life cycle and Microsoft is in this for the long haul - things are just getting started, I think we'll see big improvements in this area this year and once everything switched over to the Windows 8 core I think we'll see an avalanche of major apps since a lot of code will be able to be shared between phone and desktop windows.

That said, there's at least one good thing about iOS that I kind of miss (iMessage) - but Apple has really pissed me off lately (long story) so there's no way I would ever consider going back. And since I've switched to unlimited texting the iMessage thing is no longer a problem.

Really it comes down to what you like. I would recommend that you give it a chance for 30 days so you can get used to it being so different - it might grow on you. Then, if you still don't like it return it and get yourself another iPhone. Hope that helps!

Last edited:

Mengels7

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Here's why I left iOS (4 and 4S) for Windows Phone and won't go back, hopefully this will help you out - but I love the metro interface and it works for me - maybe iOS works better for you - nothing wrong with that.

1) Email: I have an (s)exchange account for work, a hotmail account, and a gmail account. I really like that I can separate the exchange/outlook account, but also make a combined inbox for my two personal accounts (hotmail/gmail).

2) XBox Live integration (big 360 fan).

3) Facebook/Twitter integration (don't really need the facebook/twitter apps so if they are worse on WP7 that doesn't really bother me as I'd rather use the People hub and have it all in one place). It's also awesome that I can view my photos and friends photos from facebook right in the Pictures app.

4) I can uninstall anything I want. It really PO's me that Apple forces apps like Stocks and Newstand on me. On WP7 if I don't like it, I can remove it.

5) People Tiles. I have a tile for my wife that keeps track of all of our communication in one place.

6) Speed. Most things that take 3-5 clicks on iOS I can do in 1-2 clicks on WP7.

7) Zune Pass. If you like music this is awesome.

What I don't like about WP7

1) The games are overpriced compared to iOS/Android but I have hope that pricing parity will come into play. This was mentioned not to long ago on a slide from an internal MS meeting so they know it is a problem and are planning to address it.

2) Some major apps are still missing (for me these are Mint and HBO Go). The OS is still relatively young though, and it's quickly gaining steam. We have more apps than Android or iOS did at this point in their life cycle and Microsoft is in this for the long haul - things are just getting started, I think we'll see big improvements in this area this year and once everything switched over to the Windows 8 core I think we'll see an avalanche of major apps since a lot of code will be able to be shared between phone and desktop windows.

That said, there's at least one good thing about iOS that I kind of miss (iMessage) - but Apple has really pissed me off lately (long story) so there's no way I would ever consider going back. And since I've switched to unlimited texting the iMessage thing is no longer a problem.

Really it comes down to what you like. I would recommend that you give it the 30 days and if you don't like it return it and get yourself another iPhone. Hope that helps!

Y'know what, that does help. Thanks for not being a smug jerk like some of the people in this thread. I think I'm gonna keep the phone and give it another shot, at least until the next iPhone/Windows Phone 8 comes out. You make some really good points. It's just good to hear people that actually use the phone say this kind of stuff rather than reviewers who use the thing for a day or two y'know? :D

AndreaCristiano

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Y'know what, that does help. Thanks for not being a smug jerk like some of the people in this thread. I think I'm gonna keep the phone and give it another shot, at least until the next iPhone/Windows Phone 8 comes out. You make some really good points. It's just good to hear people that actually use the phone say this kind of stuff rather than reviewers who use the thing for a day or two y'know? :D

Sorry if you thought I came off as smug etc wasnt my intention.

evilrobot

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site

No problem! I edited the post a couple of times because I kept thinking of more things I like about it :) I don't know what is up with a lot of posts on this thread, the people on this forum are usually very nice and helpful. Stick around and if you have any questions about anything post away and we'll be sure to help out.

I actually went through this same thing when WP7 first came out and I got a Samsung Focus. I returned it and got myself another iPhone, and used it for quite a while. Then, the things that annoyed me about iOS started to annoy me again and around that time the WP7 mango update came out so I bought another Focus on craigslist (this was last October/Novemberish) and I haven't looked back since.

ayejay0601

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
I couldn't stand it after 5 hours or so. I came from my iPhone 4 hoping to really love Windows Phone as I am sick of Apple's bull**** lately. What is wrong with all of you? The app selection is terrible. The apps are uglier and less functional. The web browser is horrendous.

That's what really did it for me, the web browser. Everything is rendered awkwardly. Does it not use webkit? The copy and paste was awful. I spent a good 3 minutes trying to copy/paste a link and gave up.

Why does anyone use this over iOS or Android other than "it's different and fresh and links my accounts together?" Seriously please someone tell me why it's better. I wanted so much to enjoy this but I just can't find any functional advantage over iOS, only disadvantages.

I've got the thing on eBay and the auction ends in a couple hours but the tinkery nerd side of me still wants to keep the phone.
I remember when Microsoft first announced their new upgrade. I read something about "tiles" and was skeptical. I read something about no more bloatware, and I didn't think it was possible.

Fast forward a few months and I started messing around with a friends focus. It was love at first site. The thing was just so cool. The tiles flipping around and photos of my friends everywhere. And it seemed like a solid robust piece of software.

Add to that the possibilities of integration with office and xbox. Add to that a phone that is probably the most beautiful phone ever built.

The fact is that most people on this platform recognize the current limitations....the camera is still not as good as iphone; many missing apps. There are a few things it has that are better, including the 4G, a larger and better screen (in my opinion--the deep blacks make it better). But the truth is that there is only one real reason I love this phone. unfortunately I can't put it into words. Its just so cool.

Seketh

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Don't feed the troll!

The things he said are taken out of The Verge reviews of the Lumia 900/HTC Titan 2, and we all know how fair and unbiased those were. (/sarcasm)

Sent from my LG-E900 using Board Express

JetLife87

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I like grouping people I follow on twitter into certain groups. The groups feature is great I can go to my "tech news" group and see all the new tweets for that group.

Being able to see history on a contact is great also. A group member, professor, or employee might email you something. Instead of having to think, when did they send that email, or what email did that go to, you just tap their contact, slide over to history. And you have all the emails, texts, and phone calls you've exchanged.

I never talk on fb or twitter just follow so I guess that's why I love the integration. I basically just use twitter as a news reader.

Easy tube is great, download YouTube videos and can play them in the background.

Zune is great for discovering new music, or using bing audio to find a song u like and download it.

Indoor maps on bing maps is great, I have the local mall as a favorite and can see the mall directory and map, all built into the os without having to launch ie.

Ie has some quirks but usually loads desktop sites great if it fails on a mobile page, espn game cast for example.

Internet explorer pages never reloading on me is something I love. I can go back to a web page 3 days after I opened it and it won't automatically reload.

The office integration is great. I can download graded word documents that my professors hav graded and see their comments. I can save the document to my phone or skydrive and send it to a group member if needed.

Email attachments are much easier, if u want to attach a photo or document to an email, just tap the attachment button.

Xbox companion is cool, whole your watching a movie or someone is using ir Xbox you can search for a movie to watch right from your phone and start it.

I like how movie and tv purchases on the Xbox can sync with my phone

Wifi podcast downloading is great, the podcasts u want are always on the phone

Live tiles are fun and useful

I love the datpiff app for listening to rap mixtapaes, apple removed it from the app store.

Free music downloader is a good app for downloading music to your phone that you can't find on Zune, though it's separate from Zune, it lets you basically download free music.

Xbl achievements are fun although I don't game too much on wp

Bing search is fast, I am always able to find directions, hours, phone number of a business before my iOS friends.

Love the back button for multitasking. Love opening links in a new tab, holding the back button, and go to th page I was just looking at, hold the back button again and go back to the other page and it's loaded. I do the same with twitter links, go back to reading my timeline, then back to the twitter link.

Love how tapping the artists name takes you to that artist in Zune, and you can immediately go to their marketplace page to get albums that aren't in your collection. I love how that if you use shuffle mode and are browsing your albums, and see a song that u want to hear next, just tap and hold and press add to now playing, that becomes the very next song to play. On other platforms it goes to the bottom of your playlist and you don't get to hear the song for a while.

That's my list for now, know I'm missing something.

Don't forget to sell your phone

Last edited:

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
The only thing I would persuade someone to do is "try WP"... and the OP did that. If he/she doesn't like it, maybe give it a week or so - just to be sure, but ultimately, if it isn't warming their inner tekkie, I don't see why they shouldn't sell it.

Different strokes for different blokes.

:)

apoc527

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
First, I would kindly ignore (for the moment) all of my fellow WPcentralites who say "sell your phone." Truthfully, I'm not sure why we are seeing those replies. Guys--that's stooping to Fandroid and iPhan levels.

Seriously though, I just switched to a Lumia from an iPhone 4. It took me about 3 days to decide I wasn't going back to iOS.

First, on the browser--I hear you. There are some things that they need to improve about IE9. A higher resolution screen would help, but I have found that by Day 5, I no longer notice the issues. And, in fact, if you load up a page on an iPhone 4, the Lumia and a PC, the colors more resemble closely those on the PC. However, color rendering is also largely browser-dependent, so that may not tell you much. Regardless, I have found that in actual practice, I no longer care about the differences between IE9 and Safari. Some things I would like to see: a software back/forward button; folders for favorites, a one-touch access to tabs (though other browsers offer this, so it can be done now), and a one-touch "share" button.

However, except for the browser and a few missing apps (which I strongly believe will not be an issue 6 months from now), I have found very little that I prefer on iOS compared to WP7. The Facebook integration allows me to do 90% of all my mobile FB stuff without ever opening an app. The WP7 Facebook app works fine, as long as you can accept the wholly different "Metro" theme.

Pinterest can be done using Pinsation, which is a really great app IMO. Angry Birds Space "is coming." I don't really play games on my phones (except Hero Academy, which I can play on my iPad now anyway), so I don't miss any missing Zynga apps. Obviously, whether you can is up to you alone.

As for things I like, I agree with evilrobot. You can do so much with this OS that iOS will never allow. Pinning anything to the start screen is great--I have my wife and separate groups for some friends and family pinned. I have the CNN and Weather Channel app pinned and their Live Tiles are awesome. I love the History function of the People Hub and the ability to view everyone's FB and LinkedIn stuff without ever leaving the core OS.

Give it a try for at least the next 2 weeks and see if you haven't adapted. There's a definite learning curve coming from what you were used to with iOS, but the OS really does grow on you and when I go back to play Hero Academy on my iPhone, I find there's always less and less that I miss about the iPhone 4 (other than the higher display resolution, which I will always miss, but hey, there's always the next Lumia).

wp_ish

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
definitely hold off on selling the phone. I came from android, had an HTC evo, which I really did like.

Anywho, i liked my windows phone at first, but didn't love it. I was trying to do things in the same manner as i would have on android. Lots of long presses and being very app focused. Anywho, after a week or two i started changing and fell in love with the phone. The OS is set up differently from iOS and Android. It is not app centric so much as it is function and people centric. So, if i want to see photos, i open the photo hub and have my local photos, uploaded photos, Facebook albums, twitter posted photos and a list of photo apps all right there. I love the keyboard, being able to tap a misspelled word and have it provide suggestions is nice, as is tapping a word and the copy and paste prompt being automatic.

Most importantly, i would not be able to stand losing the live tiles. I can check my stock portfolio and weather all day without ever opening and app. I see when wpcentral has posted a story and get a headline. If i am waiting on a flight, some apps will allow me to pin the flight to my homescreen and it will update if it is on time. That is a short list, but the live tiles are a killer feature that won't kill your battery.

Most of my family has iPhones and i would like some of the additional apps, but would not sacrifice the wp7 functionality. For me, that core functionality is more important than having all the apps. I feel like a mac user in the early 2000s, which i was. I know i couldn't do as much, but i could do pretty much everything i wanted and found it more pleasant on a mac. Now, i am a windows phone and windows 7 fan, as i think they lead in what matters to me at the moment. If it changes, i will change too

Gaiking

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site

I disagree. I think the WP7 os is FAR superior to ios and Android. I love how the entire experience on the phone is unified...every app looks like it belongs there...whereas android and ios apps look like add ons instead of looking like they actually are an extension of the phone os. I've had less problems with IE9 than I have had with Safari on iPhone.

As for apps.....I am sick and tired of hearing about how 80,000 apps are not enough and iPhone has a trillion to the 10th power of apps....the vast majority of Android and iOS apps are pure crap and for every decent app I ever wanted on Android or iOS there is one on WP7 that can take it's place..... having Angry Birds Space right now means so much to some people that they're willing to write off the device. I have had everything ..iPhone..every android flavor and BlackBerry...IMHO WP7 makes all of them look like old pathetic worn out systems that are just the same old junk.

Last edited:

anon(5339784)

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
Not writing this to convince you, I don't care what you use, nor do I gain anything from you using it, but to help educate others which might run into the same things as you did:

That's what really did it for me, the web browser. Everything is rendered awkwardly.

When you open the Browser, Pull Up the three dots and enter the Settings, change from Mobile to Desktop - Voila.

The Browser renders pages perfectly as they are presented to him ("webkit" is nothing, it makes no difference to anything or on how something is presented to you (rendered)), the problem is that some webpages send it (the browser, when it is on "Mobile Site" mode) the old Candybar-Smartphone/PDA/Windows Mobile version of their mobile sites, instead of the new touch-versions.

For Facebook for instance, go to touch.facebook.com, or just visit the normal desktop site (which I find to be better). Twitter displays (as I've read) an ugly mobile site, but I've read that that has also been fixed.

The most ridiculous case is google, which does that when you visit the "Desktop" site, it sends you to the ugly pda-mobile site, instead of the nicer touch mobile site it displays when you visit it with the toggle on "Mobile". :confused:

But I have it on Desktop anyway, as google is still useable and I don't use it as often, since the integrated Bing search is much better for most of the things that pop into my head and I want to look up quickly (that one actor/movie, this thing I heard, how does the actress with the name xyz look again?, that old song/band, this xyz), it is just as good (honestly, if not even better, but I'll explain that in a sec) on the up-to-dateness and just not as good on the establishment/POI front.

But the Bing search on Windows Phone is completely different from the web version of bing, and MUCH better at that, probably because it sources its info/predictions etc from the people who use it on their phones and not like the bing web which probably only (if even) sources its predictions etc from the people who use it on their PC, and I frankly don't think it does even that, the suggestions when typing are years old, same goes for the results, and there is no filter option for time (last 24h, last week, month etc) so that you could get more relevant or up-to-date results, while the bing search on WP even gives me some of the newest (not even a week old) things (like quotes or specific constellations of words, eg a movie title, two celebrities who currently are mentioned together, a new car model name when you type the brand etc) as suggestions while I type the first word, you simply just see that it is up to date on TODAY, not last month or year.

Regarding the up-to-dateness for example. I am comparing this to google (web), bing (web) and bing (wp). I enter the name of a show and an incomplete part of a quote from an episode from a TV show from yesterday, and the results look like this:

Google gives me nothing of relevance unless I filter the search for "Last 24 hours", then I get a couple of pages where the quote is mentioned in regards to that show. Sometimes it gives me the relevant stuff right away without having to filter it, but that is mostly if it's specific enough and not just a broad, general sentence in conjunction with a tv show name, and mostly only after a few days or only if it's so popular that millions of people have searched for it.

Bing (web) doesn't give me anything even close (not even just the wiki or imdb page for the show, which is something that should always be on top, especially if it can't provide anything for the second half of my query, the quote), nothing even on the show, and there is no way to filter for time, so you get what you get (year old random stuff which has nothing to do with anything you search for), no influence to change anything about that towards finding what you need.

Bing (Windows Phone) gives me the relevant sites, which I had to filter for to get in Google, right away, without having to do anything except to type in the exact same search query. And this is really no isolated case, I have been witnessing this increasingly in the past few months. Also, the suggestions are (at least in my case) always top notch, and what I am actually looking for (what is relevant right now around this time) is most often among the three suggestions, while on Google (web, on my pc) the query (for example, a name of a new/currently relevant actor/actress/singer) that is relevant now may only be at the bottom of the list of the suggestions, if even there. 95% of the time I had my Windows Phone, I always used the google search in the Browser, but in the last few months, I have almost completely switched to Bing search, as it is much better.

The copy and paste was awful. I spent a good 3 minutes trying to copy/paste a link and gave up.

For links, just tap and hold on it, then select "Copy Link" from the pop-up menu. If you can't tap and hold (if it's not recognized as a link):
You just click at the beginning of what you want to copy (say, the http), when you click you select the whole word (or put the cursor on the space before/after a word), and pull the little arrows to select everything you want, and when you want to select specific letters, tap and hold and a cursor appears that you can place exactly where you want it. Then just click on the small circle copy symbol. It's actually pretty easy and simple.

Try it out before you sell it, so you don't embarrass yourself in real life when you start talking smack to someone who uses a WinPhone and knows how to use it properly.

Last edited:

smapor

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Took me 2 days to do everything I needed to do from IOS phone. Took me another day to appreciate the email program, keyboard, social media integration, setting up all my shortcuts.

4Th day I had business use remorse (unable to get my email), thought about returning it.

5th day decide to keep the phone because I remember my 1st Gen iPhone and how it grew. wP7 is right there and it needs users who are willing to live through some bugs to see a better OS in the future.

Windows 8 is going to Rock, may as well be ready :)

jd914

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Some of you guys do realize you're turning people off to the platform by being jerks & so offensive about everything, right??

this is coming from someone posting ridiculous videos of a fabricated screen issue? Who's turning people off to the platform? Kettle meet pot, pot meet kettle :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786