• 00Days
  • 00Hours
  • 00Mins
  • 00Secs
Newsletter — sign up now! Learn More
04-13-2012 03:41 PM
73 123
tools
    EDIT: I ended up sticking with the phone and there are a ton of good tips in this thread for anyone who had a similar experience.

I couldn't stand it after 5 hours or so. I came from my iPhone 4 hoping to really love Windows Phone as I am sick of Apple's bull**** lately. The app selection is terrible. The apps are uglier and less functional. The web browser is horrendous.

That's what really did it for me, the web browser. Everything is rendered awkwardly. Does it not use webkit? The copy and paste was awful. I spent a good 3 minutes trying to copy/paste a link and gave up.

Why does anyone use this over iOS or Android other than "it's different and fresh and links my accounts together?" Seriously please someone tell me why it's better. I wanted so much to enjoy this but I just can't find any functional advantage over iOS, only disadvantages.

I've got the thing on eBay and the auction ends in a couple hours but the tinkery nerd side of me still wants to keep the phone.
    Last edited by Mengels7; 04-13-2012 at 11:54 AM.
    04-11-2012 03:36 PM
    You should sell it.

But people use it for Facebook and twitter integration, office integration, etc.

You should def sell the phone though.

PLEASE SELL THE PHONE!
    04-11-2012 03:38 PM
    I almost never use the supplied browser. I use the Metro Browser. I just ordered the cyan 900 to replace my original Focus.
    cp2_4eva likes this.
    04-11-2012 03:43 PM
    Honestly, the problem is you don't have an open mind to change. The apps are much more functional and beautiful. Every big app is there basically, with 3rd party substitutes for those that aren't. What apps are you looking for that aren't there?

Sent from my Samsung Focus S using Board Express.
    kashk5 and MAERSK like this.
    04-11-2012 03:44 PM
    Don't sell your phone because the Nokia lumia 900 is just darn beautiful. People will say "god that's such a cool phone"
    Last edited by 12Danny123; 04-11-2012 at 03:57 PM.
    04-11-2012 03:45 PM
    You should sell it.

But people use it for Facebook and twitter integration, office integration, etc.

You should def sell the phone though.

PLEASE SELL THE PHONE!
    HA! If you don't like it becuase of personal preference, maybe it is best you sell it. Or maybe you should give it the 30days and see what you think at the end of it.
    I personally love the look and feel. I like the integration of all my contacts. I have no issue with the web browser, though it could use impovement. I don't see anything that is glaringly broken about it. I just came from 3 years on Apple and i really dig the WP7.

Best of luck with your decision.
    04-11-2012 03:46 PM
    listen troll, you obviously aren't smart enough to do your research before buying a mobike device. What really shows you're lacking in intelligence is the fact that you come here starting a thread needing help deciding on something which you and only you can decide upon.
    04-11-2012 03:46 PM
    That's what really did it for me, the web browser. Everything is rendered awkwardly. Does it not use webkit? The copy and paste was awful. I spent a good 3 minutes trying to copy/paste a link and gave up.
    3 minutes to copy/paste? Yeah, you really should just give up.
    04-11-2012 03:47 PM
    I couldn't stand it after 5 hours or so. I came from my iPhone 4 hoping to really love Windows Phone as I am sick of Apple's bull**** lately. What is wrong with all of you? The app selection is terrible. The apps are uglier and less functional. The web browser is horrendous.

Why does anyone use this over iOS or Android other than "it's different and fresh and links my accounts together?" Seriously please someone tell me why it's better. I wanted so much to enjoy this but I just can't find any functional advantage over iOS, only disadvantages.

I've got the thing on eBay and the auction ends in a couple hours but the tinkery nerd side of me still wants to keep the phone.
    You should definitely sell it and promise never to buy another Windows phone again. As far as I am concerned, I am keeping mine as it fits my needs. I have most apps I use and the things that are more important to me..ie email, music, battery life, signal strength etc. do well on this phone
    hellomiggy likes this.
    04-11-2012 03:48 PM
    I upgraded to the Focus from the iPhone as soon as it was available. The iPhone just bored me to death. I like the tweekiness of Android, but I didn't want to have to mess with it to make it what I wanted it to be. That, combined with the fragmentation and stability issues led me to choose the Focus.
    04-11-2012 03:50 PM
    I almost never use the supplied browser. I use the Metro Browser. I just ordered the cyan 900 to replace my original Focus.
    Hmm, are there any particular advantages to the browser that you like?

Honestly, the problem is you don't have an open mind to change. The apps are much more functional and beautiful. Every big app is there basically, with 3rd party substitutes for those that aren't. What apps are you looking for that aren't there?

If I didn't have an open mind to change, I wouldn't have burned my upgrade on a Windows Phone...

The Facebook and Twitter apps are not as good as their iOS/Android counterparts. Much slower, missing little things, and I can't stress enough that text outside of the Windows Phone interface is ugly.

Where are the Zynga games? Where's Pinterest? The new Angry Birds Space? HBO Go? I have plenty of other apps I'm not really -dependant- on but the combination of the poor Facebook/Twitter apps and the lack of the Zynga games I play with my friends really turned me off a bit :-\
    04-11-2012 03:53 PM
    Okay it was probably closer to a minute, but still, it just wouldn't let me pick the start and end I wanted. It's nowhere near that bad on iOS.
    04-11-2012 03:55 PM
    LOL exactly. If you can't figure out how to tap a word, expand the arrows, and hit the copy button, there's something bad wrong.

soulzero likes this.
    04-11-2012 03:56 PM
    listen troll, you obviously aren't smart enough to do your research before buying a mobike device. What really shows you're lacking in intelligence is the fact that you come here starting a thread needing help deciding on something which you and only you can decide upon.
    Listen, condescending jerk, I obviously researched the phone a bit before I purchased it. Someone mentioned there are better browsers I can download. Clearly I'm getting some good advice to think about.
    04-11-2012 03:56 PM
    User error, sell your phone...ill give you $20...PM me...
    kashk5, filjosh and steve_w_7 like this.
    04-11-2012 03:57 PM
    I don't really know. I've just gotten used to it I guess. I think part of it is that I hate changing browsers anyways. But I think once you take a bit of time, you get used to it. You learn how to make it work for you.
    04-11-2012 04:00 PM
    Listen, condescending jerk, I obviously researched the phone a bit before I purchased it. Someone mentioned there are better browsers I can download. Clearly I'm getting some good advice to think about.
    All the browsers are re-skins of IE9. Some do offer added usability, just not added functionality.
    04-11-2012 04:07 PM
    :D 3 minutes to copy/paste? I really hope you're just trolling and that that's not true. It took me all of 3 seconds to figure out how to copy/paste when I first switched to Windows Phone. If you're telling the truth, you may indeed want to stick with iOS, the ecosystem of thoughtless sheep.
    soulzero and steve_w_7 like this.
    04-11-2012 04:08 PM
    Josh? :lol:
    HeyCori, fogel35, kashk5 and 3 others like this.
    04-11-2012 04:08 PM

hit it on the head! Everyone with "issues" basically fits in this category. So locked into their old paradigm they dont even see the greatness that is this OS. My brother is an apple devotee and he even likes the OS better than iOS. People need to breathe and readjust
    krayziehustler and hellomiggy like this.
    04-11-2012 04:15 PM
    Josh? :lol:
    Nope, no Joshes here...hah
    04-11-2012 04:16 PM
    I couldn't stand it after 5 hours or so. I came from my iPhone 4 hoping to really love Windows Phone as I am sick of Apple's bull**** lately. What is wrong with all of you? The app selection is terrible. The apps are uglier and less functional. The web browser is horrendous.

Here's why I left iOS (4 and 4S) for Windows Phone and won't go back, hopefully this will help you out - but I love the metro interface and it works for me - maybe iOS works better for you - nothing wrong with that.

1) Email: I have an (s)exchange account for work, a hotmail account, and a gmail account. I really like that I can separate the exchange/outlook account, but also make a combined inbox for my two personal accounts (hotmail/gmail).

2) XBox Live integration (big 360 fan).

3) Facebook/Twitter integration (don't really need the facebook/twitter apps so if they are worse on WP7 that doesn't really bother me as I'd rather use the People hub and have it all in one place). It's also awesome that I can view my photos and friends photos from facebook right in the Pictures app.

4) I can uninstall anything I want. It really PO's me that Apple forces apps like Stocks and Newstand on me. On WP7 if I don't like it, I can remove it.

5) People Tiles. I have a tile for my wife that keeps track of all of our communication in one place. I can see missed calls, texts, facebook updates, etc. from her with one quick glance at my phone without ever even having to open an app.

6) Speed. Most things that take 3-5 clicks on iOS I can do in 1-2 clicks on WP7, if I even need to click at all since I have Live Tiles.

7) Zune Pass. If you like music this is awesome.

8) Office. Google apps and the alternatives on iOS don't really compare.

What I don't like about WP7

1) The games are overpriced compared to iOS/Android but I have hope that pricing parity will come into play. This was mentioned not to long ago on a slide from an internal MS meeting so they know it is a problem and are planning to address it.

2) Some major apps are still missing (for me these are Mint and HBO Go). The OS is still relatively young though, and it's quickly gaining steam. We have more apps than Android or iOS did at this point in their life cycle and Microsoft is in this for the long haul - things are just getting started, I think we'll see big improvements in this area this year and once everything switched over to the Windows 8 core I think we'll see an avalanche of major apps since a lot of code will be able to be shared between phone and desktop windows.

That said, there's at least one good thing about iOS that I kind of miss (iMessage) - but Apple has really pissed me off lately (long story) so there's no way I would ever consider going back. And since I've switched to unlimited texting the iMessage thing is no longer a problem.

Really it comes down to what you like. I would recommend that you give it a chance for 30 days so you can get used to it being so different - it might grow on you. Then, if you still don't like it return it and get yourself another iPhone. Hope that helps!
    Last edited by evilrobot; 04-11-2012 at 04:44 PM.
    04-11-2012 04:22 PM
    Here's why I left iOS (4 and 4S) for Windows Phone and won't go back, hopefully this will help you out - but I love the metro interface and it works for me - maybe iOS works better for you - nothing wrong with that.

1) Email: I have an (s)exchange account for work, a hotmail account, and a gmail account. I really like that I can separate the exchange/outlook account, but also make a combined inbox for my two personal accounts (hotmail/gmail).

2) XBox Live integration (big 360 fan).

3) Facebook/Twitter integration (don't really need the facebook/twitter apps so if they are worse on WP7 that doesn't really bother me as I'd rather use the People hub and have it all in one place). It's also awesome that I can view my photos and friends photos from facebook right in the Pictures app.

4) I can uninstall anything I want. It really PO's me that Apple forces apps like Stocks and Newstand on me. On WP7 if I don't like it, I can remove it.

5) People Tiles. I have a tile for my wife that keeps track of all of our communication in one place.

6) Speed. Most things that take 3-5 clicks on iOS I can do in 1-2 clicks on WP7.

7) Zune Pass. If you like music this is awesome.

What I don't like about WP7

1) The games are overpriced compared to iOS/Android but I have hope that pricing parity will come into play. This was mentioned not to long ago on a slide from an internal MS meeting so they know it is a problem and are planning to address it.

2) Some major apps are still missing (for me these are Mint and HBO Go). The OS is still relatively young though, and it's quickly gaining steam. We have more apps than Android or iOS did at this point in their life cycle and Microsoft is in this for the long haul - things are just getting started, I think we'll see big improvements in this area this year and once everything switched over to the Windows 8 core I think we'll see an avalanche of major apps since a lot of code will be able to be shared between phone and desktop windows.

That said, there's at least one good thing about iOS that I kind of miss (iMessage) - but Apple has really pissed me off lately (long story) so there's no way I would ever consider going back. And since I've switched to unlimited texting the iMessage thing is no longer a problem.

Really it comes down to what you like. I would recommend that you give it the 30 days and if you don't like it return it and get yourself another iPhone. Hope that helps!
    Y'know what, that does help. Thanks for not being a smug jerk like some of the people in this thread. I think I'm gonna keep the phone and give it another shot, at least until the next iPhone/Windows Phone 8 comes out. You make some really good points. It's just good to hear people that actually use the phone say this kind of stuff rather than reviewers who use the thing for a day or two y'know? :D
    04-11-2012 04:26 PM
    Y'know what, that does help. Thanks for not being a smug jerk like some of the people in this thread. I think I'm gonna keep the phone and give it another shot, at least until the next iPhone/Windows Phone 8 comes out. You make some really good points. It's just good to hear people that actually use the phone say this kind of stuff rather than reviewers who use the thing for a day or two y'know? :D
    Sorry if you thought I came off as smug etc wasnt my intention.
    04-11-2012 04:37 PM
    No problem! I edited the post a couple of times because I kept thinking of more things I like about it :) I don't know what is up with a lot of posts on this thread, the people on this forum are usually very nice and helpful. Stick around and if you have any questions about anything post away and we'll be sure to help out.

I actually went through this same thing when WP7 first came out and I got a Samsung Focus. I returned it and got myself another iPhone, and used it for quite a while. Then, the things that annoyed me about iOS started to annoy me again and around that time the WP7 mango update came out so I bought another Focus on craigslist (this was last October/Novemberish) and I haven't looked back since.
    04-11-2012 04:39 PM
73 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD