Need a little convincing from WP7 users

prodwel2

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Last year I jumped into WP7 (pre-Mango) from an iPhone and shortly went back as I needed just a little more out of the OS to achieve parity with my needs. Fast-forward to now - Mango is mature and Nokia has produced what looks like a killer phone. I'm not an "app obsessive" so I'm not worried about lack of 1:1 app matches. What really brought me back to iOS was the maturity, polish, and efficiency of the system (from a usability level - not necessarily workflow). Needless to say, the app-centric nature of iOS and the overall stagnation of their phones (in my eyes) has finally gotten to me. Regardless of whether the next iPhone is a "big redesign", it will still have the sterile Apple look and feel that is omnipresent throughout all its devices. (personal opinion)

I'm ready to go with the Lumia. A few questions. I know that no one will have exact answers but after reading through many posts I'm looking for educated opinions. If I get a Lumia before the 16th I understand there is a software issue that will require an update on the 16th. I also know that I can get a $100 credit if I purchase before the 21st. Other threads seem to hint that around the 21st, new phones with the updated software will be available to purchase. Will that be the only difference with these "new" phones? Or does anyone feel that there will be hardware modifications also? I have seen threads mentioning "rattles", etc.

Any input would be appreciated as I'm eager to go back to WP7 for good this time.

Thanks!

zwhohebe

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
phone rattles yes. but not a deal breaker imo. everything is good except the camera. battery life, screen, speed, build = A+. oh and its free. what else do you need?

SoloXCRacer

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I haven't had any issues with the Lumia (rattling, data issues, etc). The camera takes descent pictures, but I feel it was a little overhyped. The "auto" settings sometimes are thrown off and I find that tapping the screen yields in better pictures. Coming from the iPhone world, I like the interface a lot better, and the integration of the social networks is a big plus for me. The OS is not perfect my any means, as there are a few annoyances (to me) that need to get resolved. But overall, I'm happy with it.

I'll play devil's advocate here. Why do you want to switch from iOS? Other than the user interace change, if you're happy with iOS, why the change??

jlw17

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
My guess is that the new batch of phones will only have software changes. (Other than the White version becoming available) If I were you, I'd go for it, It's a free upgrade and you still have 30 days to return it. You really have nothing to lose. I've had no problems with my Lumia 900. I've been able to use EDGE, 4G, and wi-fi just fine. I've even restarted the phone and cycled power just to make sure. So NOT ALL LUMIA 900's HAVE THE DATA ISSUE! The rattle that I thought was a defect is probably just the autofocus camera. My boyfriend's iPhone 4s makes the exact same noise if you tap anywhere hear his camera.

I say go for it =]

-Jonathan

prodwel2

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I haven't had any issues with the Lumia (rattling, data issues, etc). The camera takes descent pictures, but I feel it was a little overhyped. The "auto" settings sometimes are thrown off and I find that tapping the screen yields in better pictures. Coming from the iPhone world, I like the interface a lot better, and the integration of the social networks is a big plus for me. The OS is not perfect my any means, as there are a few annoyances (to me) that need to get resolved. But overall, I'm happy with it.

I'll play devil's advocate here. Why do you want to switch from iOS? Other than the user interace change, if you're happy with iOS, why the change??

Good question - while I like the "spit-shine" polish of iOS' UI, I don't like the disjointed workflow of having to go in and out of apps constantly and I think that with every update, the system has gotten more tacked on than actually truly integrated. It is starting to feel like iTunes - and I feel the same way about Lion OS. It's at the point where it just feels like the Apple operating systems have reached their peak and now the updates just tack on to the point where even built-in system functionality now feels like a bunch of apps.

Second reason is iCloud. Not sure about other users, but it's very limited especially with Photos. It's nice that iCloud is integrated into key features, but the lack of online access to your photos or documents outside of Apple's products has created a big usability gap for me between home and work. With MobileMe, I had iDisk that I could download photos and documents from any computer. Now those items are only available within Apple's apps. SkyDrive will allow me to work like I used to work in MobileMe.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
No problem with data on my L900. Getting LTE speeds up around 20Mbps up/5Mbps down. Switches between 4G/LTE w/o issue. If I tap the back near the camera I hear a slight rattle. But I typically don't go around tapping my phone all day.

My understanding is that any Lumia 900 you purchase today "will not" have the data problem, as they have pulled that batch (was limited to specific date codes) already and will probably reflash those phones. The update is primarily for any problem devices out in the wild, although it might bring some other non data related tweaks.Don't expect any other physical changes to the new batch of phones.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
No rattling, data, or wifi issues here so far. Only had the phone a couple of days though.

I'm still on the fence regarding battery life. With the phone being new and me still setting everything up, I have yet to test it fairly through a normal day. My Lumia 800 had great battery life, lasting the entire day (and sometimes part of the next day) with moderate use. So far my impression is that the battery life of my Lumia 900 is fine, but not quite on par with the 800. But again, definitely can't make that determination until I put it through a typical workday where I'm not constantly moving tiles, installing apps, playing with settings, etc.

As for the OS, awesome. Everything is smooth as butter and having a dynamic, vibrant home screen is so refreshing coming from that static app grid. The email client is easily the best I've experienced of any OS. Social Media integration is top-notch, and hardwired as opposed to reliant on third-party apps.

My only complaint is that there is no way to edit MMS settings, so if you plan to use your Lumia 900 with an MVNO, prepare to live without MMS until Nokia puts their Network Setup app back in the marketplace (if that even ever happens).

properbostonian

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Last year I jumped into WP7 (pre-Mango) from an iPhone and shortly went back as I needed just a little more out of the OS to achieve parity with my needs. Fast-forward to now - Mango is mature and Nokia has produced what looks like a killer phone. I'm not an "app obsessive" so I'm not worried about lack of 1:1 app matches. What really brought me back to iOS was the maturity, polish, and efficiency of the system (from a usability level - not necessarily workflow). Needless to say, the app-centric nature of iOS and the overall stagnation of their phones (in my eyes) has finally gotten to me. Regardless of whether the next iPhone is a "big redesign", it will still have the sterile Apple look and feel that is omnipresent throughout all its devices. (personal opinion)

I'm ready to go with the Lumia. A few questions. I know that no one will have exact answers but after reading through many posts I'm looking for educated opinions. If I get a Lumia before the 16th I understand there is a software issue that will require an update on the 16th. I also know that I can get a $100 credit if I purchase before the 21st. Other threads seem to hint that around the 21st, new phones with the updated software will be available to purchase. Will that be the only difference with these "new" phones? Or does anyone feel that there will be hardware modifications also? I have seen threads mentioning "rattles", etc.

Any input would be appreciated as I'm eager to go back to WP7 for good this time.

Thanks!

Buy the Lumia 900. You will not regret it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb