Bricked!!!

Sridhar V

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
Bricked My Phone!!!

God I hate to say this, dont know if anybody else faced this already....but the Nokia Lumia 900 got BRICKED within a week of getting it....:mad:

:excl:The gist....DONT LET YOUR BATTERY DIE!!!:excl:

Heres what happened, last night I could not get my phone recharged on time and as I was doing something the phone suddenly froze and died as it had ran out of juice. I left it there in that state for awhile and then plugged into wall...first the bottom three buttons lit up, a white screen, then a big battery showed up with with a bit of red charge, then a nokia page and then finally an att page with the words "rethink possible".....and it shuts off and starts this loop.

it has been doing that loop since 1 am last night....now I really need to "rethink the possibilities..." or maybe if you MS, Nokia & ATT guys are reading this then you should start rethinking...:mad::mad::mad:

Last edited:

moc426

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
If you let the battery die, when you plug it in, it can't boot up. The battery needs to have some % charge for the phone to boot. Mine would display the large battery with 1 red bar. Give it a few minutes to charge then try booting it up.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
My phone's battery seemed to be empty when I bought it. Couldn't do the first boot. Simply would not turn on. Plugged it into the wall for a while and it was fine.

Sridhar V

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
If you let the battery die, when you plug it in, it can't boot up. The battery needs to have some % charge for the phone to boot. Mine would display the large battery with 1 red bar. Give it a few minutes to charge then try booting it up.

I didnt do anything...the phone died...i plugged it in..did not touch any buttons..and the loop started on its own...

Sridhar V

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
Just got off the phone with ATT...said they would replace and they are aware of this issue...

If you dont want a defective piece...let your phone die, plug it in and if it does not boot up then get a replacement!!!!

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
If your phone dies cuz battery is drained and you go to charge and the splash screen loops...LIke i said and the OP said, try it now to find out if you have a defective phone, battery or whatever and get a replacement.

Ill probably let my battery die today and charge it and see what happens. I am not going to not let it drain so i can continue to use a defective phone.

anon(5339784)

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
All the people throwing around "bricked"... -.-

Have you tried looking into your manual (it is there for a reason, use it) or even Googling? There you would discover that by holding the power button for a longer time (over 10 seconds), the phone will reset. That performs the same function as removing the battery.

Since your phone reacts, that would be the first thing to do.

If your phone were empty and didn't show a reaction when hooked up to the original charger, the first step is to let it be and leave it on the charger, as it can take up to a few hours for it to signal any loading activity when your battery has been discharged too much.
Then the second step would be the above mentioned method of holding the power button for 10+ seconds, until it vibrates, and then pushing it again to turn the phone on.

Here, in the manual to your Lumia 900 (click on "Support" on the left, or alternatively page 72):
http://nds1.nokia.com/files/support/nam/phones/guides/Nokia_900_UG_en-US_AT&T.pdf

It would've taken you less than 20 seconds to find that, and probably resolve your problem. Instead, you go to the computer, open a thread, write for several minutes, then wait for hours until other people spend several minutes of their time to help you with a problem that you could probably fix by doing what the manual tells you to do (that's what it's there for), or googling and discovering the solutions for people who already had that problem.

For the future:
I recommend locking the screen from time to time when doing something for a longer period of time (browsing etc) and when you feel like you could be draining your battery or when it was already low to begin with when you started the activity, because the battery icon does not refresh as long as the screen is on, it refreshes when the screen is locked. A simple lock - unlock is enough to refresh the icon and for the phone to realize that the battery is low and display to a warning or turn itself of. It, as far as I can tell, does not realize if the battery is too low as long as you are using it with the screen on. That is not due to Nokia, but due to Windows Phone, that behaviour is the same on my 1st gen. Windows Phone. So remember to do that whenever you feel like you could be running low on battery.

If both of the above options fail to turn on your phone so you can either use it normally or perform a factory reset through the settings, and you for some reason can't or don't want to give your phone to official repair (which you should do), there is a last option, altough I do not recommend doing this! There is the last resort, which will erase all your data without ANY warning as it is factory resetting the phone, so first try the first two!!!), which is explained in this link (AGAIN, I DO NOT RECOMMEND DOING THIS! ANYTHING YOU DO FROM HERE ON OUT IS ON YOURSELF, NOT ON ME OR ON NOKIA! BE AWARE OF THAT FACT BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING! DON'T COME BACK WHINING, BLAMING ME OR NOKIA, BECAUSE YOU LOST YOUR DATA OR (this time for real) BRICKED YOUR PHONE! (no I don't work for Nokia, but that is the usual reaction from people when they screw something up)):

http://www.faq4mobiles.de/flashes/Deadman/Service Manuals/Nokia_Lumia_800_Phone_Reset_v1.0.pdf

Sridhar V

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
It would've taken you less than 20 seconds to find that, and probably resolve your problem. Instead, you go to the computer, open a thread, write for several minutes, then wait for hours until other people spend several minutes of their time to help you with a problem that you could probably fix by doing what the manual tells you to do (that's what it's there for), or googling and discovering the solutions for people who already had that problem.

thanks for word of encouragement buddy!! I did find that info in 20 secs (great guess!!)... left it to charge the whole night till 7 am (hope that is sufficient enough)... and then tried all those and then when it did not work I posted it here at 11 am...so essentially I tried all I could for 12 hrs before posting... if that aint enough I apologize for posting my concern and experience here.

anyways...!!

Last edited:

camaroguy

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
For the record, I am about 99% sure I have seen the battery indicator change w/out locking/unlocking my screen before.

The phone will also shut down while in use because of low battery, I have done it many times on my Gen 1 device, while in a phone call...the sound it plays for low battery is almost inaudible while in a call.

anon(5339784)

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
thanks for word of encouragement buddy!! I did find that info in 20 secs (great guess!!)... left it to charge the whole night till 7 am (hope that is sufficient enough)... and then tried all those and then when it did not work I posted it here at 11 am...so essentially I tried all I could for 12 hrs before posting... if that aint enough I apologize for posting my concern and experience here.

anyways...!!

You did not say anything about the steps you undertook except that you left it plugged in during the night. So I assume that you did nothing and thus gave you the advice. If the 20-30sec power button doesn't work (on some other page they say that the power and volume down (but without the camera) button should be pushed together, but I wouldn't try it unless I find official mention of that.

Did the endless startup-logo-startup-logo loop continue after the 20 sec power button restart?

Just to clear it up, after you performed the 20 second power-button restart (with the charging cable not plugged in), did you hook it up again without starting the phone and waited for it to turn on by itself? If not, try that.

If the tips don't work, bring it in and get a replacement.

For the record, I am about 99% sure I have seen the battery indicator change w/out locking/unlocking my screen before.

The phone will also shut down while in use because of low battery, I have done it many times on my Gen 1 device, while in a phone call...the sound it plays for low battery is almost inaudible while in a call.

I did get a warning too, but not always. Sometimes I use the phone while browsing and when I lock the screen and unlock it again, it turns off automatically because the juice was already so low. That's also the only explanation I can think of for (what seems) so many Lumias batteries getting emptied.

Last edited:

Sridhar V

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
You did not say anything about the steps you undertook except that you left it plugged in during the night. So I assume that you did nothing and thus gave you the advice. If the 20-30sec power button doesn't work (on some other page they say that the power and volume down (but without the camera) button should be pushed together, but I wouldn't try it unless I find official mention of that.

If the tips don't work, bring it in and get a replacement.

Nope that didnt work either...and sorry for missing out the steps (dev mind..assumes its all devs out there :))

Guess I will have to take it in.. did you say "bring it in" ;):D

Sridhar V

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
Okay....did some analysis.... Lumia 800 had this issue and here is a post

Nokia Lumia 800 (RM-801) PR1.1 Zune update “battery drained devices can’t turn on” issue

Affected Products or Services
RM-801, Lumia 800

Introduction

PR1.1 has been available for end users to update via Zune since mid January.

We have discovered that after the Zune update to PR1.1 (software version 1600.2483.8106.11500, see SR2546 for more info) when the battery is drained there is a possibility that a device can’t turn on even though it has been charged. This bulletin provides potential solutions to address this.

Bulletin Content

Devices potentially affected: All units updated via Zune to PR1.1 (see SR2546 for more details). PR1.1 factory units are not known at this time to be affected.

Scope of Issue: After the PR1.1 Zune update when the battery is emptied and the device shuts off, even after a prolonged period of charging with a compatible charger (eg. AC-16, AC-10) the device will remain off and the end user is unable to turn on their device.

So somethings up...

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Its a Windows thing, not Nokia

It is NOT advisable to discharge the battery completely without properly shutting off the phone. This has been true since Windows Mobile days. This is after all a Windows product, just like its PC counter part, you need to properly shutdown the OS. So to those going to kill their battery on purpose, don't. It will be a hit or miss. The OS might start up, it might not. But it's not because it's defective. Its because you didn't properly shut it down. I even remember reading FAQ on the HTC website that a battery pull and completely discharging my Surround's battery should not be done.

Last edited:

Cartman

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
I let my first 900 fully discharge and noticed that instead of it shuting down gracefully with the "goodbye" sceen like my Focus and Focus S it just turned off.

Don't know if it always does this as I only let it drain once before replacing it with another 900 due to the data issue.

Am too scared to loose data service with my new one so I never let it get past 2% of remaining battery before I recharge it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss